Auto Free Trade Act

teruchev

TNPer
I had submitted this in November, but am looking to resubmit for a January relaunch.

Please let me know if there is anything that would help this proposal's chances of success in the quorum.

Thanks.

United Nations Free Trade Agreement for the Automobile sector (UNFTAA)

A resolution to reduce barriers to free trade and commerce.

Category: Free Trade Strength: Significant Proposed by: Teruchev

Description: The United Nations,

-A- CONCERNED about the damaging effects that protectionist economic policies often have on the free flow of trade and the economic sustainability of nations,

-B- CONVINCED that the aforementioned free flow of trade is the most suitable policy for the economic health of all nations and the economic oppotunity of their citizens that need such opportunity to provide for themselves,

-C- SEEKING a common market for United Nations member states in the trade of automobile technology and equipment so as to engender this economic health and sustainability as well as the sharing of technologies that will be beneficial to the citizens of member nations,

-1- REQUIRES all nations to phase in policies removing protectionist laws and regulations in the trade of Automobile technology and equipment,

-2- ESTABLISHES the United Nations Free Trade Agreement for the Automobile sector (UNFTAA),

-3- ENCOURAGES global cooperation in the development and distribution of automotive technology, particularly environmentally-friendly automotive technology,

-4- URGES all member nations to ensure that unhealthy barriers to productive competition, which may include trusts and cartels, do not become a hindrance to the benefits of this resolution,

-5- EMPHASIZES that UN member nations reserve the right to employ retaliatory tariffs towards non-UN nations,

-6- MANDATES a timeline for implementation not exceeding five (5) years in length.

Steve Perry, GCRC,
President.

Well, I'm hoping you're going to stick with "Auto Free Trade Act", because that monster of a title you've got up top ain't gonna fit.

Anyway...

-A- CONCERNED about the damaging effects that protectionist economic policies often have on the free flow of trade and the economic sustainability of nations,

Ok.

-B- CONVINCED that the aforementioned free flow of trade is the most suitable policy for the economic health of all nations and the economic oppotunity of their citizens that need such opportunity to provide for themselves,

Not entirely true... If a nation's domestic products are of lower grade than those produced elsewhere, they may be better off prohibiting imports of that item. Won't help out the producer much, but there's thousands of other nations to sell to. But generally ok, I suppose.

-C- SEEKING a common market for United Nations member states in the trade of automobile technology and equipment so as to engender this economic health and sustainability as well as the sharing of technologies that will be beneficial to the citizens of member nations,

Good.

-1- REQUIRES all nations to phase in policies removing protectionist laws and regulations in the trade of Automobile technology and equipment,

Well... this hits on the point I mentioned earlier. If a nation's internally produced autos are of lesser quality than the foreign variety, and their exports aren't enough to cover the import costs, they're logically going to want to limit their imports on automobiles, or else lose money. Thus defeating the purpose of the resolution.

-2- ESTABLISHES the United Nations Free Trade Agreement for the Automobile sector (UNFTAA),

Assuming this is the resolution itself.... do you really need this line? If it passes, this bit is a tad obvious.

And if this is intended to be a Committee, be VERY CAREFUL about what you have them do.

-3- ENCOURAGES global cooperation in the development and distribution of automotive technology, particularly environmentally-friendly automotive technology,

Ok.

-4- URGES all member nations to ensure that unhealthy barriers to productive competition, which may include trusts and cartels, do not become a hindrance to the benefits of this resolution,

Check your spelling... otherwise this is ok.

-5- EMPHASIZES that UN member nations reserve the right to employ retaliatory tariffs towards non-UN nations,

-6- MANDATES a timeline for implementation not exceeding five (5) years in length.

Define "retaliatory tariff" for me. Is this meant to be interpreted as "He put a tariff on my cheese exports, so I'll put a tariff on his cars", or are Members still allowed to impose tariffs on non-members whenever they want to? Might raise a bit of argument.

-6- is ok.

Looks good in general... as I said, I've got a few reservations about it, but nothing that wouldn't be too hard to address or fix. Good luck!

Hersfold:
Define "retaliatory tariff" for me. Is this meant to be interpreted as "He put a tariff on my cheese exports, so I'll put a tariff on his cars", or are Members still allowed to impose tariffs on non-members whenever they want to? Might raise a bit of argument.

As this resolution will of course have no power outside of the UN, member states are still free to engage in whatever kind of trade activities they want with non-member states, whenever they want. This clause merely affirms that for the reticient crowd.

Thank you, Hersfold, for your thoughtful and constructive critique.

Steve Perry, GCRC,
President.

Back