Yuno

TNPer
-
Pronouns
Her/She
TNP Nation
yuno owl
PINK BIRB FOR ATTORNEY GENERAL ೭੧(❛▿❛✿)੭೨

Greetings all of you and welcome to my campaign thread!

I’m running for Attorney General. I admit that I’m new to this TNP job, and I will have no hard feelings on whether I win or lose (it’s just that I didn’t want COE running against himself; plus voting in an Office where there’s only 1 candidate to choose from is not really ideal, we’re not *insert RL dictatorship here*!) However, since I’m running, I’d better be prepared for the position in case I DO get the job. On the off-chance that I do win this election (which will be surprising,) I'll remain committed, do my job as well as I can, and prosecute many criminals. Now, I've never been an Attorney General before, and I have not yet had the chance to talk to the experts either; I only had time for some self-study. Self study-wise, I found out that most cases revolve around the Legal Code, so I went ahead and read the entire Legal Code (hence the late campaign thread.) While doing so, I re-wrote it to make it easier for myself to understand (colloquially) and for everyone who hasn’t read it or fully understood it yet! (At least, in my opinion.)

I admit that I’m pretty proud of my revised version of this (hopefully not wrongfully) ^>^ I hope I’ve proved myself with this research and to, at least, make an excellent rival to COE!

So here it is! Enjoy:

1a3.jpg
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Legal Code: Divided into Chapters, with Sections.

Numbered Clauses within each Chapter.

Numbered Clauses may have subclauses in letters for lists.

Only “Chapters” count as part of the law. Clause numbers and sub-clause letters don’t count as part of the law.

Clauses may be referenced by chapter, clause number, and if applicable sub-clause letter, but clause numbers and sub-clause letters will not be considered part of the law, nor will they have any legal effects. The Speaker will manage the numbering of clauses in accordance with the above requirements.

Chapter 1: Criminal Code

1. If you’re a resident and commit a crime NOT LISTED in the criminal code, YOU’RE FREE! (Not OOC crimes)

Section 1.1: Treason

2. "Treason" means taking arms or giving materials to any group/region to coup TNP or TNP’s treatied allies.

3. If you’re a nation in a region at war with TNP, you can’t be a nation in TNP or participate in TNP’s government.

4. Currently, TNP isn’t at war with anyone. Instead, TNP is allies with: Stargate, the South Pacific, Taijitu, International Democratic Union, Equilism, Europeia, Albion, The East Pacific, and Balder.

5. The Speaker will update clause 4)’s list as appropriate.

Section 1.2: Espionage

6. "Espionage" means “leaking,” which means sharing information with an outside group/region, without permission from the person that this information came from.

7. To commit espionage(leaking,) the information you shared must not be PUBLIC information (which anyone can already see,) or the person you leaked the information to must NOT already have access there. (For example, if you leak the #citizens_chat to a Citizen, that doesn’t count as espionage since that Citizen already has access to that chat, but if you leak that to a non-citizen, that’s Espionage.)

8. The information leaked must be from TNP, or a foreign group/region that the Regional Assembly(a.k.a TNP Citizens) deemed inappropriate to leak from.

9. The Regional Assembly has agreed to prohibit espionage against Europeia and Albion. ((Basically, don’t leak from Europeia, Albion, or TNP; but anywhere else is probably okay.))

10. The Speaker will update clause 9)’s list as appropriate.

Section 1.3: Fraud

11. "Election fraud" means deceiving the residents about which candidates are running for elections, the time and place of the elections, and the requirements/methods for one to be eligible to vote/run for office.

12. "Fraud" means intentional deception, whether by falsehood or omission, done to benefit or to damage someone.

Section 1.4. Crashing, Phishing, or Spamming

13. "Crashing" means any unwarranted actions that could make a forum go out of service or lose its data, such as unwarranted post deletions, the forum itself being deleted, spamming, etc.

14. "Phishing" means attempting to socially engineer/deceive people to give you off-site controls/passwords, especially by pretending to be a mod/admin.

15. Phishing also includes collecting personal information kept at the Forum. (You can’t steal citizens’ IPs/email addresses, or be a stalking creep.)

16. "Spamming" means any outsider trying to “waste space" or cause shock on the forums/discord or RMB, to make it unstable.

17. “Spamming includes any attempts to force a DOS error on forums and any attempts to flood the RMB of a region which is not that nation's normal abode.”

18. “No Nation of The North Pacific may perform, order, condone, or accept as legal, Crashing, Phishing, or Spamming.”

Section 1.5: Proxying

19. No using proxies to make your forum account anonymous. Proxying also includes using any practice which allows you to own multiple forum user accounts.

20. Forum administrators will inform the Government and Court about any Proxying they observe.

Section 1.6. Adspam

21. RMB Recruitment from outside regions may be allowed/regulated or prohibited by the Delegate’s decision.

Section 1.7. Conspiracy

22. "Conspiracy" is defined as planning, attempting, or helping to commit any crime under this criminal code.

Section 1.8. Gross Misconduct

23. "Gross Misconduct" means violating your “legally mandated sworn oath,” whether accidentally or purposely.

Section 1.9. Exceptions

24. Exceptions for treason, espionage or proxying may be given to members of the “military and intelligence services,” if the Delegate and appropriate Minister consents, (but only during ‘officially sanctioned missions’ that are meant to preserve regional security.)

Chapter 2: Penal Code

1. Criminal acts may be punished. One such punishments: You may restrict basic rights of criminals, proportionate to their crime (which is decided at the discretion of the Court, unless stated otherwise here.)

2. Treason will be punished by ejecting, banning, and removing all basic rights of the criminal, for how long the Court wants.

3. Espionage will be punished by the removing speech and voting rights for how long the Court wants.

4. Crashing, Phishing, or Spamming may be punished by ejection and banning, the removal of any/all basic rights for how long Court wants, and/or banning by forum administration.

5. Proxying may be punished by ejection and banning, the removal of any basic rights for whatever duration the Court wants, and/or banning by forum administration.

6. Adspam prohibited by the Delegate may be punished by adspam suppression and summary ejection and/or banning from the region.

7. “Conspiracy will be punished by a sentence strictly less than what would be appropriate for the original crime.” (So if you conspire to coup TSP and get caught, you’ll be punished less than someone who actually coups TSP.)

8. Gross Misconduct will be punished by removal from office and the suspension of voting rights for how long the Court wants.

Chapter 3: Judicial Law

1. These procedures govern the Judiciary branch.

Section 3.1: Chief Justice Selection

2. Whenever the position is vacant, the Justices shall elect a Chief Justice from among themselves by a majority vote. (That means more than half the votes.)

3. After a Judicial election ended, including the conclusion of any run-off votes if applicable, and after 7 days, IF a Chief Justice is STILL not elected yet, then just choose the Justice who has the highest number of votes in said election- to become the Chief Justice. If there’s a tie for the highest number of votes, then the Chief Justice shall be the one (from among those tied) with the longest period of citizenship.

Section 3.2: Appointment of Hearing Officers

4. Conflict Of Interest occurs when a Justice or Hearing Officer has a personal stake/involvement in a matter before the Court, or when they are biased/unable to rule fairly.

5. Justices and Hearing Officer are required to recuse themselves from matters where they (potentially) have Conflict Of Interest. That means they’re gone from the case.

6. If one or more Justice positions are vacant, or any Justice is absent or recused themselves, then the remaining Justices will promptly appoint replacements from among available citizens to participate as temporary Hearing Officers.

7. If ALL Justices are gone/vacant from the case, the Delegate will promptly appoint the needed Hearing Officers from among available citizens, with the Speaker’s approval for each.

8. Any recusal or absence of a Hearing Officer will be treated as a vacancy.

9. The Court may recuse any Justice or Hearing Officer by majority vote.

10. “The Court must hold a vote on whether to recuse a Justice or Hearing Officer, when publicly requested by the prosecution, defense, or petitioner, in any matter before the Court.”

Section 3.3: Criminal Trial Procedure

11. The majority agreement of the Court will make a standard procedure for all criminal trials.

12. The Delegate is only allowed to ban a nation from the region when that nation poses a clear security threat and their removal is necessary to protect the region, and that nation has to be pending criminal charges against them or in the middle of a criminal trial.

13. The Delegate needs approval from the Court for any such ejection or ban; and if possible, this approval must be sought prior to the nation's removal from the region. Otherwise, it must be sought within 1 day of the ban/ejection.

14. If that nation gets banned in the middle of their criminal trial, then approval for that ban will be at the discretion of the Justice moderating that trial. If that’s not the case, then any other Justice is permitted to approve/deny the Delegate’s request.

15. Any nation ejected or banned under this section may file an appeal the decision. These appeals may not be denied, and must be decided by the full court.

16. The Delegate must immediately provide any nation ejected/banned (under this section) with a link to the Courtroom and inform them of their right to file an appeal.

17. If criminal charges are not brought against a nation ejected/banned (under this section,) or if the criminal charges are rejected by the Court, or if the nation is not found Guilty at the conclusion of the trial, then that nation must be unbanned (under this section.)

Chapter 4: Election and Appointment Procedure

Section 4.1: Oath of Office

1. All government officials need to take this Oath of Office before getting their job:

“I, [forum username], do hereby solemnly swear that during my term as [government position], I will uphold the ideals of Democracy, Freedom, and Justice of The Region of The North Pacific. I will use the powers and rights granted to me through The North Pacific Constitution and Legal Code in a legal, responsible, and unbiased manner, not abusing my power, committing misfeasance, malfeasance, or nonfeasance in office, in any gross or excessive manner. I will act only in the best interests of The North Pacific, not influenced by personal gain or any outside force, and within the restraints of my legally granted power. As such, I hereby take up the office of [government position], with all the powers, rights, and responsibilities held therein.”

2. All elected government officials will be required to take this^ Oath of Office within ONE WEEK of their ELECTION, certified by the Election Commission.

3. All government officials who are subject to confirmation by the Regional Assembly- will be required to take the Oath of Office within ONE WEEK of their CONFIRMATION, verified by a member of the Speaker's Office.

4. All other government officials will be required to take the Oath of Office within ONE WEEK of their APPOINTMENT, as publicly announced.

5. The taking of the Oath constitutes assumption of the office. If you’re late to post the oath, the office will be considered vacant.

Section 4.2: Election Law Definitions

6. "Abstentions" don’t count as votes and can’t decide the results of any election. They’re only used for quorum/activity/etc.

7. "Candidates" are candidates who declare themselves or accept nominations for an office. During elections.

8. "Election" are the period of time that start on day 1 of candidacy declarations, and ends with final declaration of election results.

9. A "vacancy" in an office occurs when the office holder resigns, gets removed, or abandons it. An office is abandoned when the holder does not log into the forums for 2 weeks, or when an election winner/appointee fails to post the Oath of Office.

Pending an election, a vacancy can be temporarily filled somehow (look for the appropriate law.)

10. An "absence" in an office means that the office holder is, by law, temporarily prevented from performing their office’s duties. An absent officer may be replaced for the duration of their absence.

Section 4.3: The Election Commission

11. The Election Commission consists of 5-9 appointed by the Delegate and confirmed by a majority vote(50%+1) of the Regional Assembly.

12. Any citizen may be appointed to the Election Commission. While citizens ordinarily can’t hold multiple government offices, the exception is when the office is the Election Commission.

13. The term of an Election Commissioner will be six months, beginning on the day they take the Oath of Office. The Delegate cannot remove an Election Commissioner.

14. ALL elections will be supervised by 2 Election Commissioners.

15. An Election Commissioner is considered “Absent” during any election that they’re a candidate in, or during elections that occur during the start or end of their term. Absent Election Commissioners may not supervise an election or participate in any decisions made by the Election Commission as a whole.

16. “If there are fewer than five non-absent Election Commissioners, the remaining commissioners will appoint temporary replacements to bring their number up to five. If all Election Commissioners are absent, the delegate will appoint five temporary replacements. These replacements will serve until the number of non-absent commissioners is five or greater.”

17. The Election Commission can make rules for the supervision of elections. Where no rules exist, the Election Commissioners supervising a given election may use their discretion.

18. Any citizen may petition the full Election Commission to review a decision made by the few Election Commissioners supervising an election. If necessary, the election may be halted while the Election Commission decides how to proceed.

19. “If the full Election Commission determines that the actions under review are not in compliance with the law or their adopted rules, they will have the power, by majority vote, to overrule them. If deemed necessary, they will also have the power, by majority vote, to restart the election, or designate different commissioners to supervise the election.”

Section 4.4: Overall Election Law

20. Citizens have 3 days to declare their candidacy. Voting lasts 5 days, and only begins 2 after the candidacy declaration period closes.

21. Candidates may withdraw from the ballot anytime during an election except during voting.

22. Private votes may be sent as forum PMs to the Election Commission’s “forum account for private votes.” Then, the Election Commissioners supervising the election will promptly announce that a vote has been cast privately and who the vote’s for, but no other details about the vote.

23. “The option to reopen nominations will appear on the ballot as a separate question for each race.”

24. If 50%+1 vote to re-open nominations, 2 more days will be given for candidacy declarations.

25. Candidates for that race from the initial ballot retain their candidacy, unless they withdraw during those 2 days.

26. Once the candidacy declaration period has closed, a 2nd round of voting will begin and last 5 days. This time there won’t be an option to Re-Open Nominations.

27. For ANY runoff vote, there will NOT be an option to Re-Open Nominations.

28. If a candidacy becomes invalid during a vote, then the voting round for that race will be promptly restarted with any invalid candidacies excluded from the new ballot.

Section 4.5: General Elections

29. Elections for Delegate, Vice Delegate, Attorney General, and Speaker always begin on 1/1, 5/1, 9/1. (Month on left.)

30. If no candidate for a given office gains 50%+1 of the votes, then within 1 day, begin a 5-day runoff vote for that office.

31. Candidates will be added to the runoff ballot in descending order of how many votes they received. Candidates who received equal numbers of votes will be added the ballot simultaneously.

Once the total number of votes in the new runoff round reaches the number of the majority of votes from the previous round, no more candidates may be added to the new ballot. (?)

32. If no one gains a majority of votes in the runoff vote, the runoff process will be repeated until a candidate receives a majority.

Section 4.6: Judicial Elections

33. The election of the Justices will begin on 3/1, 7/1, and 11/1.

34. The three candidates who receive the most votes will be elected. If a run-off vote is required it will begin within 1 day of the initial voting, and last 5 days.

Section 4.7: Special Elections

35. A special election will be held when any elected office/position becomes vacant, unless the special election won’t be able to finish prior to 2 weeks before that office’s next election cycle.

36. “Special elections will follow the same procedures as regularly scheduled elections for the vacant office.”

Chapter 5: Regional Security Law

1. Any laws regulating the Security Council or its activities must be listed in this chapter.

2. Here, “Council" means the Security Council.

3. Here, the serving Delegate means the person holding the constitutionally-mandated elected office of Delegate (or, if that office is vacant, then the person who has assumed the duties of that office.)

Section 5.1: Requirements and Admission

4. Any person with a forum account and TNP nation may apply to join the Security Council, as long as their nation satisfies any influence+endorsement requirements for membership. Any applicant who does not meet those requirements, or stops meeting them, is automatically rejected.

5. Security Councilors must also meet the same influence and endorsement requirements as applicants to the Council, and may be suspended or removed if they fail to do so.

6. The influence requirement is a Soft Power Disbursement Rating within The North Pacific greater than or equal to 182,500, or an influence rank within The North Pacific greater than or equal to Apprentice, whichever is lower. The endorsement requirement is at least 500, or 50 percent of the serving Delegate's endorsement count, whichever is lower.

7. By a 2/3rds majority vote, the Security Council may exempt nations who fall below the required influence level to join or remain a member of the Council. These exemptions remain valid until the exempted nation regains the required influence level.

Section 5.2: The Delegate and Vice Delegate

8. The serving Delegate must have the most endorsements in The North Pacific.

9. The Vice Delegate must have a minimum endorsement count of: ‘TNP Delegate’s endorsement count MINUS 1/5th of the total # of TNP WA nations.’ (So if there are 500 WA nations and the Delegate has 400 Endorsements, 1/5th of 500 is 100, so 400-100=300, which is the minimum needed for Vice Delegate.)

10. “If the Delegate or Vice Delegate is below this level, they must promptly act to gather sufficient endorsements to meet or exceed the requirement.”

11. If the Delegate or Vice Delegate nation CTEs, voluntarily leaves TNP, or resigns from the WA, then their office becomes vacant.

12. If the Vice Delegate is temporarily unavailable, the Council may choose one of their own members to perform the Vice Delegate’s duties. A confirmation vote is optional.

13. A Vice Delegate is considered absent from the office of Vice Delegate whenever they’re serving as acting Delegate.

Section 5.3: Suspension and Removal

14. When any Council member fails to meet the influence or endorsement count requirements to maintain their position, and are not granted an exemption, the Vice Delegate must warn them about this. The Councillor then has 8 days since the warning to come into compliance, and if he fails to do so, the Vice Delegate must suspend him.

15. “Suspended Council members will remain on the line of succession, but may not assume the duties of the Delegate or Vice Delegate if either position is vacated, nor may they participate in any votes conducted by the Council."

16. The Vice Delegate must promptly remove Security Councillors whose nations CTEd, left TNP, or resigned the World Assembly (outside the needs of a NPA sanctioned mission.)

17. The Vice Delegate must report any suspension/removal of a Security Councillor to the Regional Assembly.

18. Suspended members that fail to come back into compliance within 45 days from the start of the suspension must removed from the Security Council.

19. If a suspended member of the Council comes back into compliance with the endorsement+influence requirements, the Vice Delegate must promptly reinstate them.

20. If a Councilor's continued membership in the Council poses a security risk to The North Pacific, the Council may, by majority vote, request that the Regional Assembly vote on removing that Council member.

21. The Speaker's Office must submit any such request from the Council to an immediate 2/3rds majority vote of the Regional Assembly.

Section 5.4: Reckless Endorsement Gathering

22. The serving Delegate may eject or ban any nation in The North Pacific for reckless endorsement gathering that meets all of the following criteria:

• It is not in the Council or holding the office of Delegate or Vice Delegate.
  • It has been reported to the Delegate as a possible threat to regional security by the Council.
  • It has continued actively gathering endorsements after two warnings against gathering endorsements sent at least two days apart from each other.
  • It has more endorsements than 50 fewer than the Vice Delegate's required minimum endorsement count, or 75% of the Delegate's endorsement level, whichever is least.

23. The serving Delegate may eject/ban any nation in The North Pacific for reckless endorsement gathering that exceeds the Vice Delegate's required minimum endorsement count.

24. Nations banned for reckless endorsement gathering must remain banned at least until they update outside The North Pacific.

25. Unless there’s a delegacy emergency, any Security Councillor who has more endorsements than the Vice Delegate (while said Vice Delegate is above the required minimum endos for Vice Delegates,) must stop seeking endorsements until they have less endos than the Vice Delegate.

Chapter 6: Regional Assembly Statutes

1. Any Law about the voting or membership of the Regional Assembly of TNP must be listed here.

Section 6.1: Citizenship Applications

2. Any resident may apply for citizenship using their forum account, providing their TNP nation name, and swearing this oath:

I pledge loyalty to The North Pacific, obedience to her laws, and responsible action as a member of her society. I pledge to only register one nation to vote in The North Pacific. I pledge that no nation under my control will wage war against the North Pacific. I understand that if I break this oath I may permanently lose my voting privileges. In this manner, I petition the Speaker for citizenship in The North Pacific.

3. A copy of the laws applicants are pledging to obey must be available to them at all times.

4. A citizenship app becomes invalid whenever the applicant’s declared TNP nation is not in TNP.

5. Forum admins have 14 days to see whether or not a citizenship applicant is using a proxy or evading a judicially-imposed penalty.

The Vice Delegate has 3 days to perform a security evaluation, and pass/fail the applicant. (The Vice Delegate must consult the Security Council when there’s a reasonable concern about whether an applicant should be admitted.)

6. The Speaker will reject applicants who fail an evaluation by either forum administration or the Vice Delegate.

7. If an applicant is rejected for failing an evaluation by the Vice Delegate, the Regional Assembly shall immediately debate the rejection, then 2 days later, hold a majority vote on whether to uphold it. The vote must begin 2 days after the rejection.

8. The Regional Assembly may overturn a previous decision to uphold the rejection of an applicant by majority vote.

9. The Speaker will accept all other applicants with valid applications.

10. The Speaker will process applications within 14 days. If an applicant has not been approved/rejected within 14 days, they will be automatically granted citizenship.

Section 6.2: Administration and Loss of Citizenship

11. The Speaker will maintain a publicly viewable roster of citizens and their registered nations.

12. The Speaker will promptly remove any citizens whose removal is ordered by the Court, or whose registered nations in The North Pacific leave or CTEs.

13. The Speaker will promptly remove any citizens who have not posted on the forums or RMB for 30+ days.

Section 6.3: Voting

14. A citizen's vote is only valid when they maintain citizenship for the ENTIRE duration of the vote.

15. A legislative vote is a vote of the Regional Assembly to enact, amend or repeal laws.

The quorum vote requirement for any legislative vote is 1/3rd of the # of citizen voters counted exclusively from the last 3 legislative voting threads.

Section 6.4: War

16. A region/org is "at war" with TNP is one which formally declared war on TNP or made acts of war against TNP.

17. Actions by foreign armies conducted against the North Pacific Army, and actions taken by the North Pacific Army do not count as war unless the conflict meets the conditions of 16).

18. A state of war exists until we(the Regional Assembly) recognize their surrender, formal peace treaty, or similar.

Chapter 7: Executive Government

1. Any Law regulating the executive government officials of The North Pacific may be listed here.

Section 7.1: Definitions

2. Executive Officers are government officials appointed by the Delegate to assist.

3. Advisors to the Delegate are government officials appointed by the Delegate for advice, and this position is exempt from the one-government-position law.

4. “The Serving Delegate is the person holding the constitutionally-mandated elected office of the Delegate or, in the case of a vacancy in that office, the person that has assumed the duties of that office.”

5. “The WA Delegate is the nation holding the WA Delegacy of the region The North Pacific.”

Section 7.2: Regional Officers

6. Regional Officers may only be appointed and granted powers as explicitly allowed under this section.

7. The Serving Delegate may assign any Regional Power, except Border Control, to any government OFFICIAL, or a nation created specifically for government functions.

8. The Serving Delegate may give Border Control to any of the 3 Security Councillors at the top of the Order of Succession.

9. During a Delegate Emergency, or with the permission of 50%+1 of the Regional Assembly vote, the Serving Delegate may give Border Control to any Security Councillor.

10. The WA Delegate will promptly grant all Regional Powers to the Serving Delegate, and follow his instructions on assigning any additional powers to other government officials.

Section 7.3: Onsite Authority

11. Violators of NationStates rules may be banned/ejected.

12. Nations recruiting for other regions may be banned/ejected.

13. Nations that the Court indicted may be banned/ejected (if the Court permits it.)

14. Nations sentenced by the Court will be ejected or banned.

15. The person performing an ejection or ban will promptly tell the region and Government.

16. “The Serving Delegate may regulate the RMB as they see fit.” (That means the Delegate can suppress the entire RMB?)

17. “Such regulations may not prohibit speech which is in the context of TNP politics.” (Okay, nevermind on the above, no mass suppressions.)

18. All actions of the WA Delegate, the Serving Delegate, or of their appointed Regional Officers (related to this section) will be subject to judicial review.

Section 7.4: The Attorney General

19. The Attorney General appoints Deputy AGs. Deputy AGs may not serve concurrently as either a Justice or a Temporary Hearing Officer.

20. The Attorney General will have standing in all cases of judicial review brought before the Court.

21. Any person ("the complainant") may submit a criminal complaint to the Attorney General, requesting that a criminal case be brought before the Court.

22. The Attorney General may, at their discretion, manage the prosecution of any criminal case requested.

23. The defendant, the defense attorney, or any relevant witnesses in a criminal case will be unavailable to manage the prosecution of the case.

24. When the Attorney General is unavailable, the Serving Delegate will appoint an existing and available deputy Attorney General. The appointed deputy Attorney General may, at their discretion, manage the prosecution of the case.

25. Failing the existence of an available deputy Attorney General, the first available person from the following list may act as such a deputy Attorney General for the duration of the case:

• The Serving Delegate
  • The Serving Vice Delegate
  • Any resident (consensually) chosen by the complainant.

26. It is the duty of the Attorney General (and their deputies) to see to completion any case they manage.

27. If the original Attorney General (and their deputies) are unable to complete a pending case by the end of their term, the successor Attorney General will take over the prosecution.

28. If the Attorney General (and their deputies,) decline to manage the prosecution of a requested criminal case, then the complainant may, at their discretion, manage themselves the prosecution of the criminal case. Otherwise, they may withdraw the complaint.

29. If the Attorney General and deputies decline the case, and if the complainant has not stated their intent to either manage the prosecution of the case or withdraw the complaint within 30 days, then consider the complaint withdrawn.

30. For the purposes of this section, "managing the prosecution of a case" includes but is not limited to:

• submitting an indictment to the Court for the relevant charges;
  • arguing on the acceptance or rejection of the indictment;
  • acting as the prosecutor for the duration of all stages of the criminal trial heard for the case;
  • representing the prosecution in any separate judicial review hearings arising from the criminal trial;
  • and appointing, directing, and removing an attorney to act in the above capacity in their place.

———

Section 7.5: Freedom of Information Act

31. For this section, "the government" refers to the Delegate+Executive Officers, including their departments.

32. For this section, classified information is:

• Real life information about any NationStates player from which there is a risk of inferring that player's real life identity and which has not willingly been disclosed to the public, including, but not limited to, an individual's name, IP address, physical address or location, phone number, place of employment or education, appearance, social media accounts, and other knowledge about a player, unless the player in question provides explicit consent for this information not to be considered private.
  • Real life information about any NationStates player for which there exists a reasonable real life expectation of privacy or discretion, including, but not limited to, health status, both mental and physical; financial status; personal tragedies; changes in personal status such as marriage, divorce, pregnancy, birth, or death; and other similar information, unless the player in question provides explicit consent for this information not to be considered private.
  • Information that, upon being made public, would jeopardize any ongoing military or intelligence operations; or jeopardize the security of units and agents participating in them, or be harmful to the diplomatic interests, military interests, or security of The North Pacific.
33. DO NOT RELEASE ANY OF THE ABOVE! NO MATTER WHAT

34. Private government records which reach one year of age will be relocated to the appropriate Declassified Archive visible to residents.

35. A resident can always request the Delegate/designated Executive officers to release any Government private record.

36. The Delegate/Executive designated officers will retrieve the info requested from a government department.

37. Residents who do not receive this information (when there’s no law or regulation on it) may petition for the information to the Court. The Delegate/Executive designated officers may present evidence that the information counts as Classified info.

38. Appropriately undisclosed info will be counted as Classified by a 50%+1 vote of the 3-member-panel Court.

Section 7.6: Mandatory Ministries

39. A TNP Foreign Affairs Executive Officer is mandatory. They will report on events in the region and ensure TNP’s embassies continue to operate.

40. A TNP Military Affairs Executive Officer is mandatory. They will raid/defend/update/pile (if it’s TNP legal and authorized by the Delegate, expressly or categorically.)

41. There will be at least one Executive Officer charged with focusing on matters of internal interest to The North Pacific.

Chapter 8: The North Pacific Army Doctrine

1. The North Pacific Armed Forces (the NPAF) has five primary purposes:

• a. To protect and defend the region of The North Pacific;
  • b. To protect and defend the allies of The North Pacific;
  • c. To assist the allies and friends of The North Pacific in whatever capacity is available;
  • d. To maintain a well trained military;
  • e. To implement regional defense and diplomatic policies as adopted under the laws of The North Pacific.
2. The NPAF is always permitted, consistent with adopted regional defense and diplomatic policies, to deploy under the following circumstances:

• a. To counter or preemptively stop:
    • i) A direct threat to The North Pacific;
    • ii) A direct threat to an ally of The North Pacific;
  • b. To assist a region or organization as permitted by the delegate, an existing treaty, or the Executive Officer charged with military affairs;
  • c. Upon the orders of the appointed Executive Officer charged with military affairs or a person thus delegated to act in their name; and
  • d. The Regional Assembly may mandate that the NPAF follow through on a declaration of war or a policy approved by the Regional Assembly.
3. The NPAF must follow all of the following criteria on every mission in foreign regions, except against designated enemy regions:

• a. Minimize collateral damage;
  • b. Respect the culture of the region and the wishes of the natives;
  • c. Minimize threat to The North Pacific and allies;
  • d. Provide natives with the means to restore the region to its original state before leaving;
  • e. Contact the most recent native delegate when acting proactively;
4. The NPAF must operate so that:

• a. The Delegate can issue a blanket approval for the NPAF to work with a given organisation. The Executive Officer charged with military affairs or the Delegate must still authorize individual missions.
  • b. Any NPAF member may refuse to take part in any mission which does not directly impact TNP security for any reason that the Executive Officer charged with military affairs or the Delegate determines is reasonable.
  • c. The Regional Assembly may override by simple majority vote any NPAF deployment not previously approved by the Regional Assembly. The Speaker shall accept motions to override for voting on an expedited basis.
  • d. The Regional Assembly is promptly informed of any NPAF operation upon deployment, with the exception of operations which the Delegate specifically classifies. The Regional Assembly must be promptly informed of any classified operation, as well as the reasons for the classification, as soon as possible following deployment.
5. The NPAF must not do the following except following: (a) a regional consensus toward a region at war with TNP or (b) a request from a recognized government in exile of that region:

• a. Remove any residents from an invaded region that resided in the region prior to said invasion;
  • b. Act with any degree of disrespect;
  • c. Alter the region's chosen embassy list against the wishes of the region's natives.
6. The NPAF leadership is empowered with the ability to determine the cosmetic details of military, including name, ranks and insignia, pending the outcome of a poll of active NPAF members.

Chapter 9: Emergency Situations

Section 9.1: Emergency Powers

1. The Regional Assembly may declare an actual emergency by 50%+1 vote. Votes on declaring emergencies must be fast and take no longer than 3 day.

2. Concurrent with the declaration of an emergency, or anytime afterward while the emergency is ongoing, the Regional Assembly may, by 50%+1 vote, make both binding and nonbinding recommendations related to the ongoing emergency to government officials regarding what actions to take, regional law enforcement, or other similar matter.

Section 9.2: Disease Control

3. A NationStates event involving an outbreak of an infectious disease shall be considered an actual emergency, and does not require a declaration by the RA.

4. In advance of an outbreak, or promptly after an outbreak begins, the government must present a poll to the public regarding how the government should respond. The poll must contain at least three substantially different options. The government will respond according to the will of the public expressed through that poll.

5. During an outbreak, the delegate is authorized to act in any reasonable manner to pursue the adopted plan. This includes, but is not limited to, ejecting or banning nations from the region who have entered the region during the crisis and imposing restrictions on national movement into the region.

6. Nations ejected or banned because of the outbreak must be promptly unbanned and invited to return once the emergency is over.

7. During an outbreak, no nation may have their status as a resident or citizen removed solely for leaving the region, so long as they return within three days of the end of the emergency.

8. Following an outbreak, the Speaker must promptly contact any resident or citizen who remains outside the region, and inform them that they are at risk of losing their status if they do not return within 3 days.

Section 9.3: Forum Access

9. The existence of widespread obstacles that impede access to TNP forums, including Denial of Service attacks and prolonged server downtime, shall be considered an actual emergency, and does not require a declaration by the RA.

10. The governmental authorities of the region must inform the public of any forum access emergency, and continue to provide updates to the extent that is practicable for the duration of the emergency.

11. During a forum access emergency, no resident may be penalized for failing to take actions for which access to the forum is required.

12. TNP government authorities should take reasonable actions consistent with the spirit of the regional laws to continue the community and government during the emergency.

Section 9.4: WA Delegacy

13. If the legal/acting Delegate resigns, gets recalled, or loses WA status, then that’s an actual emergency, and does not need a declaration by the RA. Likewise, any capture of the delegacy of The North Pacific by any nation that’s not the legal/acting delegate is considered an actual emergency.

14. Delegacy emergencies that fall outside the scope of the above clause may STILL be declared by 50%+1 vote of the RA only when the legal/acting Vice Delegate recommends it, in consultation with the Security Council.

15. During a delegacy emergency, the legal/acting Delegate may authorize any individual in the Line of Succession to hold the delegacy and to take any actions related to that position, including, but not limited to, voting in the World Assembly, moderating the Regional Message Board, and ejecting and banning nations from the region.

16. The in-game Delegate must follow any instructions from the legal/acting Delegate as to the execution of their powers.

Chapter 10: Cultural Declarations

1. This Chapter will include laws concerning the North Pacific's history and culture.

(Disclaimer, I will stop here since this is too long and I already have re-written ALL the legal code except Chapter 10: Cultural Declarations.)

----

Honestly, this is a very interesting campaign. While you explicitly stated that you were only running so COE would have an opponent, you still took the time to almost completely rewrite the Legal Code in an easier to understand way and this gives me an idea. Would you, if elected, consider making perhaps some sort of dispatch system where different legal documents are rewritten in a way so that they are easy to understand and thus allowing more citizens to understand the law?

Honestly, this is a very interesting campaign. While you explicitly stated that you were only running so COE would have an opponent, you still took the time to almost completely rewrite the Legal Code in an easier to understand way and this gives me an idea. Would you, if elected, consider making perhaps some sort of dispatch system where different legal documents are rewritten in a way so that they are easy to understand and thus allowing more citizens to understand the law?

Thanks!

You are correct, that’s my planned project in the works.
I plan to re-use this and re-write different TNP legal documents into easily linkable dispatches and forum posts. It will encourage more people to read my simplified version of the law, then read the original documents.

I always had an interest in the Judiciary branch and wanted to work as a Judge or AG for quite some time.In fact, I would love to prosecute a criminal once a week (I wish,) and revitalize interest in TNP law. So if anyone commits any crimes/espionage/leaks in TNP (or maybe I can prosecute NPO,) I will jump at the opportunity to create a criminal trial >: )

Now we can’t predict the future of how many criminals get caught, these are just hypotheticals; if we get “lucky” we may go a full month or longer with peace.

Yuno, I appreciate the effort you put into your campaign, especially since you acknowledge that it is only to provide an opponent for an otherwise unopposed campaign.

I do want to caution you, though, that rephrasing legal language is a risky business and can lead you astray. For example, in your restatement of Section 6.4, Clause 16, you defined "at war" as "a region [...] which formally declared war on TNP or made acts of war against TNP". However, what the legal code actually states in that clause is that a three-fifths vote of the Regional Assembly is required to establish a state of war. This is a critical distinction, as it is the existence of a state of war which triggers the clause in Treason that prohibits membership in the other region or organization - without it, any region could force us to prosecute our citizens for treason simply by declaring meaningless war on us.

I would advise you (and anyone else seeking to understand TNP law) to supplement your reading of our legal documents with consultation with other TNPers who are familiar with the subject and can clarify misunderstandings.

Yuno, I appreciate the effort you put into your campaign, especially since you acknowledge that it is only to provide an opponent for an otherwise unopposed campaign.

I do want to caution you, though, that rephrasing legal language is a risky business and can lead you astray. For example, in your restatement of Section 6.4, Clause 16, you defined "at war" as "a region [...] which formally declared war on TNP or made acts of war against TNP". However, what the legal code actually states in that clause is that a three-fifths vote of the Regional Assembly is required to establish a state of war. This is a critical distinction, as it is the existence of a state of war which triggers the clause in Treason that prohibits membership in the other region or organization - without it, any region could force us to prosecute our citizens for treason simply by declaring meaningless war on us.

I would advise you (and anyone else seeking to understand TNP law) to supplement your reading of our legal documents with consultation with other TNPers who are familiar with the subject and can clarify misunderstandings.

Thank you so much for pointing this out and in an understanding and clear manner! I will promptly make the correction.

And you are right, I also foresaw that. That’s the reason I wrote in my initial disclaimer that “I have not yet had the chance to talk to the experts either; I only had time for some self-study.” Said experts include Asta, COE, Dinoium, Pallaith, and more I can think of.

I do believe that the re-phrasing project has merit, as long as it includes everything accurately. There will be errors, so I plan to ask for MANY proofreaders:]

Back