The Lady's Dismay (Invite-Only)

Greater Ale Permars

RolePlay Moderator
-
The Whitestone Keep
Damecité

Leonard lay reclined in his bed, propped up by his pillows. His eyes slowly scanned over the papers resting limply in his wizened hands. The candles on his bedside table dimly lit his surroundings. He let out a harsh cough, which echoed throughout the stone room. Everything hurt, from his head to his knees, the harshness of age clearly affecting him. But he wore it well, his hair now silver sat lush atop his head, and his beard was short and grey with still some lingering black. He was a larger man, with court life and age contributing to a small but growing gut. But his eyes were still keen, with their fierce blue shimmer intact despite the years.

His room was a stately one, fit with all sorts of finery and of all things which he had collected over the years. Disturbing his reading, a knock at the door broke his concentration. Followed by the entrance of one of his *Oathkeepers, Cyril Vaganay.

“Your Majesty.” He bowed deeply, the light faintly reflecting off his shining armour.

“Her Majesty, the Queen is here to see you, sir,” Cyril said looking back out into the hallway.

“Tell her to come in,” Leonard said, with a slow beckoning wave.

His wife entered the room quietly, her green and silver evening dress shimmering slightly against the light, and her shoes clicking against the stone chamber floor. She was slightly smaller than her husband, but she held herself up high, she had a wispy figure being much thinner than Leonard, but what distinguished her the most was her elven ears.

“Are you feeling any better?” She asked approaching his bed with a small smile on her face.

“A little, bit more now that you’re here.” Leonard smiled back at her. “It's some kind of *croup, or so the *physic says. Nothing an old lion can’t handle.” He said, with a small laugh and a little shrug, as continued to read through his papers.

Rina laughed covering her mouth. “Even a lion, needs his rest.”
She said, taking his papers from his hands and placing them on his nightstand.

“Rina! I was reading those!” He moaned in mock annoyance. His wife rolled her eyes, tucking her long golden hair behind her pointed elven ears.

“Oh, woe is you! How will you ever be able to recover, if you don’t read every boring document that crosses your desk.” She said teasing him.

“I’ll have you know, I’ve found this season's reports on grain stockpiles quite riveting” Leonard quipped.

Rina laughed, plopping herself right next to him on the bed.

“Ah yes, the great lion of Alarie and the sword of the Divines, Leonard Épéiste in his old age has put down the sword and shield and picked up the abacus and account book to become the Kingdom’s one and only Bookkeeper King!” She picked up his papers raising them into the air in jest.

Mimicking the call of a trumpet and in a faux heraldic voice, she shouted. “Long live King Leonard! May his accounts be settled and his interest low!” She fell backwards in uncontrollable laughter hitting her head against the pillowy bed.

Leonard too broke out into laughter, quickly cut short by a quick, painful coughing spell. The pain in his lungs was stronger this time like a knife jabbed between his ribs. Rina quickly sat up to comfort her husband, grabbing the wine on his bedside table and giving it to him.

He took a deep sip and continued coughing. Rina slowly rubbed his back as phlegm and dark mucus expelled from his mouth onto his hand which he used to cover his cough.

“It’ll be alright my lion,” she said comfortingly, taking his head and slowly lowering it onto his pillow.

“Just get some rest, and you’ll-” He coughed louder and nastier than before, interrupting her soothing words as phlegm splattered onto his fist.

He stared for a moment at the mucus, analysing its colour. It was a darkish green mixed with black, not an uncommon sight. But mingled in, within the layers of disgusting slime lay a much more foreboding red. His face went white as the blood drained from his terror.

Noticing a change, Rina looked at his hand, spotting the flecks of crimson. Her jaw dropped as she too sat in a moment of shock until suddenly she was forced back into reality by her husband. She stood up from the bed.

“By the Divines! Leo that’s blood!” She gasped, her eyes beginning to water.

“It is…” Leonard said hoarsely, still in morbid awe at the sight of his own blood.

“I’m getting the physic!” She exclaimed frightfully, rushing to the door and swinging it open.

“Cyril!” She cried.

“Your Majesty?” He responded alarmed, looking into the room.

“Get the physic now! The King’s cough is spitting blood!”

Panicked, Cyrill sprinted off and returned quickly with the grey-bearded physic, who stumbled into the chamber alongside Cyrill still dressed in his nightgown and cap.

The physic took time to observe the King, checking his throat and taking a sample of his speckled phlegm into a vial.

“What is the matter with him?” Rina asked, fear hovering in her teary eyes.

“The King’s croup seems to have escalated, although I have not seen anything like this phlegm…” He analysed it again, stuttering a concerned response.
“Its black colour escapes me.” He said stroking his long beard, “I’ll need time to examine it.”

Rina’s fear turned to anger, “My husb- your King’s life is at risk and you’re telling me you don’t even know what ails him!” She turned away from the man in disgust.

“We pay you far too much to not know!” She shouted at the old man.

“I assure you, your majesty, I will find out, I only need time.” He pleaded.

“We don’t know how much time he’ll have left!” She pointed at Leonard.

“Of… of course, ma’am, I’ll find the cause.” He stumbled over his words, his advanced age clearly hindering him.

Rina waved him out of the room in disgust, covering her tear-choked eyes with her palm.

Leonard began another wretched coughing fit, with every breath he took now causing him excruciating pain. Rina rushed to his side to comfort him.

“It’ll be alright Leo.” She said caressing his now feverish forehead.

“You just need to be strong my love, for me and Eléa. Your little lioness you.”

“I’ll…” Leonard said his voice now hoarse and sick. She interrupted him.

“I can’t lose you too… I can’t, not like the boys.” She was hysterical, the thought of her lost children was enough to set her over the edge.

“I’ll survive this,” He said reassuring her. “If your father couldn’t beat me, whatever this is won’t.” He tried to smile, but the pain was intense.

“But if you’re worried, call the council to court. I want your brother here in case something does go wrong.”

“I’ll send for them.” Rina wiped her eyes and planted a kiss on Leonard’s head.

“I’ll let you get some rest for now,” She said standing up from beside him.

Leonard nodded, closing his eyes.

“Rest well my love,” Rina said making her way to the door and past Cyril, pulling him aside he got close to his face.

“Watch him,” She said sternly. “If anything happens, I want to know as soon as it does.”

“Of course, ma’am.” He bowed to her, and she began to walk down the hallway to her chambers.

Small PG-13 advisory on: Sexual Moments
Accompaniment: Speak no more of Love to me

The Whitestone Keep
Damecité

The morning sun shined through the stained glass windows of the grand hall. The Lords and Ladies of Court lined the sides of the chamber conversing with each other and filling the room with the buzz of hushed conversation.

“Did you see who's arrived…?” Spoke one man, leaning closer to his friend.

“I heard the king is ill.” A handmaiden whispered into the ear of a servant, trying her best not to be overheard. “Some kind of consumption-” She was quickly silenced by the beckoning of her mistress.

A loud echoing knocking sound emanated from the great doors that stood at the entrance to the hall. These sounds were followed by the loud creaking of the doors as they slowly opened to reveal a large entourage of mixed extraction.

At the head of this large group was a tall elven man, his short blonde hair displaying his long elven ears, distinguishing him from the rest of the shorter, darker-haired human men that stood around him. He wore a long forest green doublet, laced with golden designs, with a belt secured tightly around his waist, and a sheathed sword hanging from its scabbard.

With the short triumphant blast of a trumpet, the court herald announced the men as they entered.

“I present to you all, the Ardyll of House Quimoira and His Majesty’s Council of Ten!”

Ardyll analysed the raised platform ahead of him and the people on it. On the throne sat a tall dark-haired, human man, dressed in a red and white doublet. Atop his head, he wore a flat cap with a large golden feather tucked into it. He had a beard, which was trimmed with several rings on his fingers and a golden necklace draped around his neck.

“Welcome to the Capital, Quimoira!” Said the tall man, he leaned back in the chair. Beside him sat Rina, dressed in her usual finery.

Ardyll strode to the foot of the raised platform in front of him and kneeled.

“Thank you, Raymond or should I say, Lord Constable?” He bowed his head and turned to look at his sister at the man’s side.

“Sister, are you faring well?” Ardyll asked.

Rina responded, seemingly uneasy. “I am well, brother. But our King is fairing less so...”

Raymond butt in giving her a sharp glance, “You are to see him at once, your quarters in the Keep have been readied and once you both and the council have met you are free to go to them.”

“But how is His Majesty? What is his condition?” Ardyll asked, his nerves spiking ever so slightly.

“The Physics haven’t been able to determine a cause but I assure you it's dire.” Raymond gripped the arm of the throne tighter.

Ardyll nodded and stood from his kneeling pose, alongside his companions.

“I will see to the King then?” Ardyll bowed before those assembled at the platform.

“You are dismissed, Lord Quimoira.” Said the Constable.

As all the remaining courtiers left the Grand hall, Raymond and Rina walked together into a small private study filled to the brim with tomes and treatises and furnished with a small table and an accompanying chair.

Raymond, taking Rina gingerly by her hand pulls her into the room, locking the door behind him to prevent anyone from listening in on their meeting.

Raymond then grabbing her by the waist pulls Rina against him, kissing her passionately. Rina’s cheeks blushed a rosy color as she wrapped her arms around his neck and giving in to the passion.

The pair sloppily undressed, scattering clothes about the room as they quietly made passionate love to each other.

After some time, the two lay on the small desk together, dreamily gazing into each other’s eyes.

Rina sighed, her uneasiness dispelled. “It feels so good to be young like you again…”

“Rin, you’re basically immortal, you’re basically forever young…” Raymond said rolling his eyes a little.

Rina laid her head at the top of his chest, snuggly resting her eyes shut, “You know what I mean- it's just that… Leonard, makes it so hard to feel free, with every second dedicated to him and his honour. It's all very… claustrophobic.”

“Hush now,” Raymond said stroking her blonde hair. “He won’t be around much longer.”

Rina gave a small albeit saddened smile, one that Raymond could not see.

“Why does the poison need to be so horrid?” She asked, nervously.

Raymond took a second to think then responded as delicately as he could. “It's better for him to die of something at least mimicking natural causes. Consumption gives him time. It is a mercy.”

Rina thought about it for a moment not entirely sure of it, but convinced nonetheless. She nodded off and slowly fell asleep.

Raymond, still awake stared at the ceiling pondering the days to come.

Last edited:
Accompaniement: A Nocturnal Waltz

The Whitestone Keep
Damecité

Eleanor sat silently at the foot of her father’s bed, staring somberly at her sleeping father. His face was a pale and sickly colour, and his frame was sallow and thin. Nothing like the lion of the stories which her governess had told her. Crawling closer to her father, the young girl, touched her father's hand, feeling his cold hand warm with her touch.

The eerie quiet of the room suddenly became disrupted by the opening of the chamber door as Ardyll entered the room. Scrambling down from the bed the young girl’s head turned to the entrance as she looked to address the intruding party.

“Eléa!” Ardyll gasped. “It's been so long!” He said picking her up from the floor.

“Uncle!” Eleanor said elated. “I’ve missed you so much!” She said burying her face into his neck.

“I’ve missed you too, how’s my little lioness doing?” He said placing her down back on the floor.

“I’m ok.” She said meekly.

“And your father?” Ardyll asked gently.

“He doesn’t feel well, Mommy said he is sick.” Her tone now low, she lowered her head. “She told me I should watch him and keep him safe, like a good lioness.”

“Your mother must be so proud of her brave lioness.” He said patting her gently on the head.

Ardyll crouched down to her level, placing both of his hands on her shoulders. “It’ll all be ok, now that I’m here I can protect your father.”

Still towering over the child, Eleanor looked up at the elf in awe. She embraced him, her tiny arms wrapping around his body.

“Thank you.” She said holding there for a second feeling the softness of his silken doublet on her face.

Withdrawing from the hug Eleanor stepped back from Ardyll.

“Go find your mother, Eleanor, I must speak to your father in private.”

The child nodded quickly as Ardyll stood to open the door for her to leave. Closing the door, the elf turned to approach his friend. Reaching his bed, Ardyll placed his hand on Leonard’s and began to speak to him.

“Brother, you called for me?” He said, getting on one knee.

Leonard’s eyes slowly opened, and a small, pleased smile crept across the ill King’s face.

“I did.” The King coughed, covering his mouth with his other hand.

“I am told you are ill?” Ardyll withdrew a handkerchief from his pocket and handed it to the King.

“How could you tell?” The King said dryly, coughing into the handkerchief.

Ardyll smiled. “I see you at least still have your wit.” His face became more serious. “But really, what is wrong?”

Leonard looked up at Ardyll and coughed into the handkerchief. “The physic, says it's some kind of consumption but my phlegm humours are coming up back. It is most odd.” He held up the once white handkerchief, revealing it spotted with a black mucus-like liquid.
“Whatever it is, it’s killing me. Which is why I brought you and the council here.”

Ardyll sat in silence for a moment, puzzled by the ailment.

“Well, we are here now. What do you require of us?”

Leonard’s eyes flashed with clear concern. “All I require for you is that in the possible chance of my death. My daughter is to be overseen by a regent. I need someone I trust to keep my daughter safe and as much as I love your sister, she commands no armies and cannot wield a sword to defend our child. So I ask of you, Ardyll once I depart this world, to become her loyal regent.”

“I…” Ardyll bowed his head low, his nerves almost taking him by surprise but he steadied himself. “It would be an honour, brother. To serve your daughter.”

“Good,” Leonard said gesturing for him to raise his head. “Then I hope you’ll get some rest, your journey must have been tiring and the one home I believe will be just like the first. So I bid you a good afternoon and hope that you find yourself some good sleep.”

“Yes, your majesty.” Ardyll stood his hand still on his friend’s. “I wish you a good afternoon as well.”

Ardyll bowed deeply to his King and then turned to the door and left his chambers.

Eleanor quickly made her way through the naturally lit stone hallways, running down through the kitchens and up into the empty throne room looking for her mother. Quickly searching about the room she did not find her mother and ventured down one of the small more private corridors in hopes of stumbling upon her mother.
Eventually, after a few minutes of walking, she reached a small wooden door to a room which she had never been inside. But from outside the room, the small child could hear the joyful laughter of her mother echoing inside. Trying to open to door, young Eleanor finds that she cannot open it with the door being tightly locked.

Frustrated by the door, Eleanor knocked as hard as a child of her age could innocently shouting,

“Mommy! Are you in there? Let me in, please!”

From inside the room, Eleanor could hear a burst of movement, like someone moving a table or a chair as she could hear someone rushing to the door.
After a moment or two, the young princess could hear a latch unclicking and the door opened slightly in front of her.

Partially covered by the door, Rina could be seen staring down at her daughter, embarrassed. Her cheeks were a bright beet red, her hair an uncharacteristic jumble with her shoulder and part of her arm still exposed with her dress hanging from it loosely.

“Mommy, why are you all messy?” Eleanor asked sweetly as her mother blushed deeper.

“Well, dear… Mommy was having a little nap and got herself all messed up.” She said, reaching from behind the door and petting Eleanor’s blonde hair.

“But, I heard you laughing?” The girl was still puzzled by the events before her unable to process them.

“Well, sometimes mommy likes to laugh at little in her sleep.” Rina was completely flustered. “Who sent you down here? I thought you were protecting your father?”

“Uncle Ardyll sent me to go find you, he said he wanted to talk to Father alone.” Eleanor tried to tell what her mother was thinking but couldn’t fully understand her look.

Rina subtly rolled her eyes at her daughter’s mention of her brother’s involvement and crouched down to her daughter's level.

“Well, Mommy wants you to go and see if your Governess has any more lessons planned for you today.”

Eleanor nodded. “Can you come with me?”

“No, sweetie, Mommy wants to finish up her nap.” Rina looked back into the room at an unamused and still undressed Raymond.

“Ok…” Eleanor lowered her head. “Love you, Mommy,” Eleanor said hugging her mother’s waist, small tears running down her cheeks.

Wiping her tears away, Rina kissed Eleanor on the forehead. “I love you too my, little lioness. Now go on.” She turned her daughter around and slowly closed the door.

Walking away from the room, Eleanor could hear her mother talking once again, unable to understand her and the noises she made after stepping down the hallway and back to her quarters where her governess awaited her.

Last edited:
La Ville d'Damecité
Damecité

Two cloaked figures approached each other in the darkness. Their shoes clicked quietly along the uneven cobblestone streets, their sounds echoing throughout the dim alleyway. Both men held torches aloft, illuminating only their visages in the dark as they quietly began to speak to each other.

The man’s voice was deep and gravelly like his vocal cords were made of coarse sharkskin.
“Have you completed your assignment, Lord Constable?” Asked the cloaked man, his face was scarred yet obscured in shadow with Raymond only barely being able to see his eyes.

“I have, the Pontifex has agreed to our terms, though his price was steep,” Raymond said grimacing, looking side to side at the many casks of wine which surrounded the two men.

“And what were his demands?” The scarred man turned to look behind himself, adjusting his hood.

“He wants two hundred talents of silver and a seat at the table in exchange for backing our play,” Raymond responded bluntly.

The second man laughed briefly, causing Raymond to feel uneasy. "It's ironic that someone who serves the spiritual relies so much on material possessions," the hooded man remarked sarcastically, his voice filled with venom. "However, as long as he fulfils his part of the bargain, we can work with that."

The Lord Constable gave a quick, yet uncomfortable smile in return.

“But, you also dealt with our other issue, yes?” The scarred man wondered aloud.

“The King’s council?” Raymond shook his head. “I’ve only spoken to two of them so far. But the rest, I believe are all loyal to the King and his elven dog.” His contempt for the man on full display

The figure nodded somewhat disappointed, “Then do you have a plan for Quimoira and the like?”

“I do,” Raymond said, stepping a little closer, wary of who could be listening in the shadows. “Though I’ll need your help to see it through.”

“I’m listening.” The hooded man said also moving closer.

Raymond whispered his request.

“You will have it then, I will make all the necessary preparations.” The hooded man nodded.

“I will see you when this is all over then?” Raymond asked as he turned to leave

“You will so long as you play your cards right unless you fancy the gallows… Lord Constable” The scarred man laughed again a deep hoarse laugh as he left Raymond alone frozen in the alleyway.

The Whitestone Keep
Damecité

King Leonard lay heavily in his bed adorned with silk sheets, with his daughter Eleanor comfortably by his side, resting her head on his shoulder. He shared stories of his past with her in a soft voice, which she always loved to hear.

"As I faced the magnificent creature, I grasped the lion's head firmly and hurled it to the ground. Then, I wrapped my arms around its neck and summoned all the strength bestowed upon me by the lady, overpowering the feline and lulling it into a peaceful slumber." Leonard wearily smiled at his daughter, who chuckled and gazed up at him.

“But what happened to the lion, Daddy?” Eleanor asked, snuggling in closer to her father.

“Well…” Leonard let out a sharp cough turning away from his daughter, black mucus spattering from his mouth and onto his sleeve as he hacked into it. And after a moment of wiping his mouth, the old lion looked back at his daughter.

Her eyes were marked with a searing gaze of concern.

"Are you alright, Daddy?" she asked, noticing the small black spots on his sleeve. "Is something the matter?"

“It’s nothing I can’t handle, darling.” He coughed again. “A lion must never yield.”

Eleanor nodded gently.

“Am I a lion?” She asked sweetly, tilting her head to the side as she gazed up at Leonard.

Her father's smile beamed with pride as he said, "You may have the gentle grace of a lily, but you possess the fierce strength of a lioness. Show me your roar."

The child let out a small roar, Leonard shook his head still smiling.

“That’s not a roar silly… this is a roar.” The old lion of a man let out a powerful roar, cut short by another fit of coughing which subdued his voice.

“Now- try that again.” He said covering his mouth once again, still harshly coughing.

Eleanor took a deep breath, assuming as serious a look as a small child could give the child let out a deep guttural roar, startling her father with the power of her voice.

"That's my lioness," he said before breaking into another coughing fit that left him struggling for breath. Despite his efforts to catch his breath, it seemed like his condition had worsened.

“You should go now Eléa…, your mother will be wondering why you’re not in bed yet.” He said, beginning to wheeze as he breathed in and out.

“Are you sure, Daddy?” The child asked the concern once again in her eyes.

“I’ll be alright.” He continued to cough and wheeze as his breathing became more laboured forcing him to lay on his back, his head propped up by his pillow.

"Alright Daddy, I love you," said the child as she clumsily descended from the bed and made her way to the opposite end. After hoisting herself onto the bed, she planted a swift peck on her father's forehead and left the room in complete silence.

Leonard stared at the ceiling, his throat opening and closing rapidly as a light fever took hold of him. Coughing and coughing, he could not seem to find relief no matter how much wine he drank his lungs only felt more constricted, filling him with a crippling agony.

Last edited:
Accompaniment: Ahhh
The Whitestone Keep
Damecité

The atmosphere in the royal bed-chamber was one of solemn quiet. Men clothed in silks and jewels stood around the bed of their aging King, conversing in low tones as they waited for him to awaken. And then, after a few more moments of silence, the monarch began to stir from his slumber. Leonard slowly opened his eyes and gazed at the men surrounding him, a smile spreading across his face. They were his friends, comrades who had fought alongside him in his father's wars and had governed with him as his faithful Dukes. They were his Council of Ten, his valiant flowers of Chivalry.

Ardyll standing at the foot of Leonard’s bed began to speak

“Brother, I and the rest of your Council have come to bid you farewell.”

Leonard shifted himself up in bed; his frail body strained as he moved.
“Thank you, brothers. Your being here has helped me immensely in these final days.”

Ardyll gave a slight nod.
“It was an honour, brother. We have served you since the days of conquest and will continue to serve your will into the afterlife.”

“That is good to hear.”
Leonard coughed and gestured to a writing desk behind Ardyll.

“On my desk, there is a letter. Could you bring it to me alongside my wax?”

The elf bowed. And quickly retrieved the items, placing the letter in the old king’s hand and the wax on his bedside table.

“There, brother.” He said, now standing beside him.

Leonard sealed the letter and set it neatly on the tiny table next to his bed. Using the wax holder, he dripped hot wax onto the envelope and promptly impressed his royal seal with his golden signet ring. After waiting a brief moment for the wax to solidify, Leonard handed the letter over to Ardyll.

“Please deliver this to the Grand Prêtre immediately. Do not disclose its contents or share it with anyone. There are sinister forces at play that aim to take advantage of young Eléa and manipulate her if I am to pass. It is your responsibility to safeguard her, all of you."
He glanced at the group of men gathered.
“You’ve all sworn oaths to me, but before I leave the mortal plane, you must swear that you will keep her safe so long as you live.”

Ardyll raised his hand to his chest and made a solemn vow, "Brother, I promise to keep your daughter safe in the name of the two divines and my sister."

The rest of the ten followed suit, saying their oaths and bowing before the king.

“Now leave quickly; the hour is late, and you must see to this at once.” Leonard gestured to the window, the setting sun shining dimly through.

"Of course, brother," Ardyll replied as he quickly bowed and exited the room, followed by his fellow councilmen. Glancing back, he assigned various tasks to each member.

"I will be heading to the Grand Prêtre. Valéry*, Baudouin* and Charles* are to remain here and keep watch over the Keep. As for the rest of you," he gestures towards them, "you will be accompanying me." The men then quickly split into their respective groups and headed off in their different directions.

Raymond cautiously walked towards the King's chambers and acknowledged the lone oath keeper guarding the door with a nod. Upon entering the bedroom, he made sure to close the door silently. As he neared Leonard, the Lord Constable could discern the impact of the poison on the sleeping King, whose breathing had become laboured and parched.

Leonard struggled to find a comfortable position in bed, as his body ached with discomfort. His movement caused Raymond to briefly startle and rush to his side, his heart pounding with fear and adrenaline coursing through his veins.

As Raymond stood beside the sleeping King, he gazed down at a man who had played a significant role in his rise to power. Despite having coveted and taken the King's wife, Raymond still held admiration for him, knowing he would be remembered as a great and mighty lion. A small tear formed at the corner of his eye, but he quickly wiped it away. He then took a pillow from the nearby bed and placed it over the King's pale and frail face in a moment of deep reflection.

Yet Raymond was unable to hold back his tears as he pressed the pillow down, feeling the man's futile struggle due to his deteriorating condition. He whispered softly, making sure only the King could hear him.

“This is a mercy… I’m sorry, I’m so so sorry.”

Raymond forced and held the pillow down until the King stopped moving. Checking the King’s breath to confirm he was dead, Raymond placed the pillow back on the bed and wiped the tears from his eyes once again. Regaining his composure, Raymond’s eyes glazed over as he began to shout for help in a fake yet convincing panic over the sudden death of the King.

Last edited:
Accompaniment: Let Chaos Reign
La Ville d'Damecité
Damecité

As Ardyll and his companions rode their horses along the cobblestone streets of the city, they passed by the towering *Cathédrale de Gloria with its high spires that dominated the cityscape. The commoners were busy with their daily activities, such as stacking crates, trading, and chatting with one another. The group made their way towards the Cathédrale, flanked by rows of houses and shops on both sides of the street.

As Ardyll gazed down the cobblestone road, an unusual scene caught his eye. A group of men adorned in gleaming armour, proudly displaying the flag of the *Épéisteian Dynasty, were lined up alongside soldiers of the Church who held up their banners featuring the golden chalice of Gloria on a white background. Ardyll approached cautiously, maintaining a safe distance.

"Soldiers, may I ask what brings you here?" he called out, bringing his horse to a halt.

A soldier attempted to speak over the loud chatter of the crowd, his face concealed by his helmet.

“On behalf of Lord Regent Raymond d'Alentoise and Her Majesty Eléanor, we have been instructed to halt all traffic to the Cathédrale.”

He flipped up the visor of his helmet, revealing a scarred and ugly visage of a man mutilated by war. With a large scar, dragging from his forehead to his chin, his right eye was a horrible milky white vacant of any pupil or iris. His nose was fully removed and in its place, Ardyll could see what looked to be a crudely made prosthetic.

Ardyll was momentarily stunned by the man's statement. "That's impossible," he thought to himself, feeling concerned. The man had mentioned Raymond d'Alentoise, the King's chief officer and trusted confidant, as being the regent. But that couldn't be right, especially after Leonard's request. Something was amiss.

“You must be mistaken, soldier... The King is still alive, and I am under his orders to deliver this letter,” He held up the sealed envelope, displaying it to the men.
“to the Grand Prêtre at once. So as your superior and member of the council of ten, I command you to step aside.”

The soldiers stood motionless as Ardyll rested his hand on the hilt of his sword, and his companions imitated his actions.

"Soldier, that was an order. Please step aside," he commanded, scanning the tense faces of the men before him.
Something was horribly wrong.

"Lord Quimoira!" yelled the soldier with scars. "You seem to be mistaken about your role. The council has been dissolved until the Queen appoints new members, and your authority has been taken away."

Ardyll scowled at the soldier and muttered under his breath as he turned his horse around.

“Stay where you are Quimoira, we’ve also been given a warrant for your arrest!”

“Arrest? On what charge?” Ardyll gripped his reigns tightly.

“For the crimes of regicide and high treason.”

"I cannot believe you would even suggest that. As the King's brother-in-law, I would never even consider such a thing. Besides, the man is still alive!"

The sound of bells echoed through the city, bouncing between the buildings and reaching Ardyll's sharp ears.
His stomach sank.

The injured soldier gazed at the sky and replied with a mocking tone, "I believe you may have been misinformed, my lord." Ardyll felt the sharpness of his words hit him like a stone.

Ardyll raised his voice in anger and unsheathed his sword, exclaiming, "This is unacceptable! Rally to me, men!"

His retainers and colleagues surrounded him, they too drawing their blades.

The soldier yelled, "If you come quietly, no one will be hurt!" He drew his blade and his men followed suit, lowering their spears and unsheathing their swords. The commotion on the street caught the attention of common people, who quickly disappeared from sight.

Ardyll attempted to leave but was met with more men blocking his exit from behind. The men in front also advanced towards him, attempting to pull him down to the ground.

The fighting was intense, pulled from his horse Ardyll hit the ground. His allies moved to protect him, in an instant swords clashed and men on both sides lay dead. The soldiers used their spears to jab at the unprotected bodies of the horses, forcefully dismounting Ardyll’s companions. The ensuing clash was intense, as Ardyll stood sword in hand, and charged the disfigured soldier.

Lunging at him Ardyll clashed swords with the man, going back and forth praying attacks and trying his best to cut the legs off his opponent. But the Soldier was more nimble than he thought evading his blows and striking him playfully, not trying to kill him but to fool with him. The duel lasted a mere thirty seconds longer before another man loyal to his opponent pierced the back of Ardyll’s thigh with a spear bringing him to his knees, unable to continue. While the rest of his men had either been arrested or killed.

Placing his sword to Ardyll’s neck the disfigured man exclaimed,
“In the name of Her Majesty, the most high, most potent and most excellent, Princess Eléanor Épéiste by the Grace of the Divines, Queen of Nanterre and Tovon, Most Holy Majesty and under the guidance of Lord Regent Alentoise.

I, Martin Dujardin déclare you Ardyll of the Quimoira under arrest, you are denounced and detainted, stripped of all ranks and titles, of all lands and holdings and hereby sentenced to death.”

“This will not stand!” Ardyll spat at Dujardin’s feet.

Dujardin laughs and gestures for his men to restrain the Elven Lord, but not before taking the sealed envelope from Ardyll’s pocket.

“You won’t be needing this anymore.” He says turning away and placing the envelope into his breastplate.

Dujardin waved his hand dismissively and ordered for the man to be taken away.
Ardyll fiercely fought against the two men restraining him, desperately attempting to break free. His efforts were in vain, however, as one of them delivered a powerful blow, rendering him unconscious and ending his resistance.

OOC:
*Grand Prêtre- High Priest of the Church of Two Divines
*Valéry Lemaître- Loyal soldier of the King, oldest member of the ten besides Ardyll, and pragmatist at heart.
*Baudouin Bourcier- Younger brother to Max Bourcier, who died fighting in the Elven Wars. Took his brother’s place on the council. Brother-in-law to Raymond d'Alentoise
*Charles Brian- Famed paladin of the King, he fought to expand the scope of the Church of the Two Divines in Elven land and won great acclaim. Poor relationship with Ardyll due to mistreatment of elven converts.
*Cathédrale de Gloria- The primary place of worship for the Church of the Two Divines
*Épéisteian Dynasty- The original ruling dynasty of Alarie, which controls the Kingdom of Deuxraces (Alarie and Tovon combined)
*Connétable du royaume- Chief officer of the Monarch, very similar to that of a prime minister. They are also the chief justice and enact the monarch’s justice.

Last edited:
Accompaniment: I'm not sobbing, you are!
The Whitestone Keep
Damecité

Rina kneeled beside her husband’s bed, her hands covering her face in a fit of mock anguish as members of the court bustled in and out of the now somewhat crowded chambers of the dead King. Raymond stood by the door with a grim expression plastered onto his face as he spoke to Oathkeeper Cyril.

“Cyril, I will need you and your men to collect the princess- I mean Queen. And bring her here, I want everyone else other than myself and the Queen Mother to leave the room. She’ll want time with her husband.”

The young soldier nodded, still visibly shaken by the events that had just transpired.

“Yes, Lord Regent.” The Oathkeeper turned and called out to everyone in the room. “I apologize everyone for the inconvenience, but you will all need to leave the room, so the Queen would have some time to herself.”

The chattering courtiers looked at each other and then to Cyril. Many of them nodded and quickly made their way out of the room. Leaving Raymond and Rina alone.

Rina turned from Leonard’s side to look at Raymond, fake tears rolling down her cheeks.

She spoke softly, her voice quivering. “We… we did it.” Her lips curled, into a slight smile.

Raymond stared at the floor.

The new Queen Mother stood and walked over to him, holding his shoulders and sliding her hands down his chest. She kissed him gently on the neck before whispering into his ear.

“You know what this means don’t you.” She cooed.

Raymond continued to stare at the ground unresponsive to her overtures.

Lightly taking his chin with her hand, staring into his vacant eyes, she pulled his face close to hers and said.

“We’re free Raymond, we’re finally free.”

Rina pulled him in, kissing him deeply on the lips. Raymond did not reciprocate.
Withdrawing from the kiss, Rina stared up at him again confused.

“Are you not happy my love?” She asked with a feigned meekness.

Raymond turned his head away from her unable to look her in the eye,

“We are monsters.” He said, choked by the fresh tears forming in his eyes.

“What? No…” Rina replied. “We did what we had to do.”

“At what cost?” Raymond cried. “The life of my friend, your husband? Hell? Your own brother…”

“He only ever got in the way, Ardyll had to go. He would have never let me be free.”

“I… I am lost.” Raymond said defeated.

Rina got close to him once again stroking his face with the back of her hand.

“You are Regent now, my love. You’ve come so far. It’s far too late to be getting second thoughts…” She turned to look at her dead husband.

“Besides, the only thoughts you should be having are about how much you want me.” She said suddenly grabbing his crotch and kissing him deeply once more. This time Raymond succumbs to her advances.

A few minutes later there is a knock at the chamber door, and a voice from the other side shouted.

“We have the Queen here for you, your majesty!” Said Cyril, holding Eleanor by the hand.

Rina approached the door, her usually pristine face seemingly a mess of tears and sweat as her cheeks glowed bright pink.

“Come in sweetie.” Rina sniffled, as she opened the door holding it for her daughter. Who too had tears falling down her cheeks.
Running past her mother, the young girl hurried over to her father’s side and throwing herself over the top of his chest began weeping over the body.

“Daddy wake up!” She cried into his now cold chest, all the warmth faded from him. “Daddy, please come back, please….”

“I can’t- I can't lose you, please, please…” The young girl sobbed and sobbed her tears flowing like two great rivers as she mourned the old lion, her father.

A sombre silence, filled the room as all looked upon the new Queen, as she shed tears for the dead king. Never letting go of him, even as her mother tried to get her to let go she desperately holds onto him.

Never letting go.

Back