-
Pronouns
He/Him
TNP Nation
Deropia
Discord
Dero#2736
Hello my fellow TNPers,

I have declared my candidacy for Attorney General, I realize that it may not be the most popular or most sought after office, however I believe that the role it plays in our regional government is an important one both due to the prosecution of criminal cases to ensure the safety of the region and advise the Executive branch in matters pertaining to regional law. I know I am new and still learning my way around, however, I believe that I have what it takes to execute the duties and responsibilities of the Office of the Attorney General effectively and efficiently. I hope that I can count on the support of my regionmates in the coming election.

If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask and I will try and respond in a timely manner.

Thank you very much for your consideration.

Deropia

Gracius Maximus:
If elected, what do you envision as your first challenge as Attorney General?
I believe that my first challenge will be getting caught up with past court rulings and some of the history of the North Pacific, as both are extremely important to the office of the AG since it is in my opinion one of the most technically demanding offices in TNP, which I've begun to do. As well as selecting Deputy Attorneys General, which I've already started to consider my options in the event that I am selected to be the next AG.

Thank you for your question, Gracious.

What qualities do you possess that would help you in this office?

Do you have any past experience that would qualify your for this office?

Who do you plan on appointing as your deputies if elected?

What is your favorite frog?

Hi deropia. I would like to ask if you have any experience when it comes to law, the court system, or anything else that has to do with being the Attorney General. Thanks

abc:
What qualities do you possess that would help you in this office?
Well, I have good communication skills, sound judgement, enjoy legal analysis and research and have the drive to persevere.
abc:
Do you have any past experience that would qualify your for this office?
Excellent question, in high school I took a full year of Law 12 which included proper interpretation of laws, numerous mock trials (in both civil and criminal cases) in which I always preferred to be the prosecutor (or represent the plaintiff) since it carried the higher burden of proof.
abc:
I would plan on asking Kasch, Fawkes and Darcania as I believe that Kaschs' and Fawkes' experience as a Minister and Deputy Minister, respectively would be a benefit to the AGs office, and Darcanias' experience as AG and a Deputy AG would be of tremendous benefit.
abc:
What is your favorite frog?
Hmm, I've never really thought of that before, but I'd have to say Hylidae, since some subspecies can act as a sort of barometer since they become noisier before it rains.
Rko17x:
Hi deropia. I would like to ask if you have any experience when it comes to law, the court system, or anything else that has to do with being the Attorney General. Thanks
Other than my above mentioned year taking Law in high school, no, I did however enjoy participating in debate club and model parliament whenever the opportunity arose.

Thank you both for your excellent questions, I hope I have answered them to your satisfaction.

EDIT: I have realized that I would be unable to appoint Darcania due to provisions in the Constitution of the North Pacific, I will need to take some time to consider my options, I will update here accordingly once I have made a decision.

deropia:
abc:
I would plan on asking Kasch, Fawkes and Darcania...
Pop quiz, you may note that I'm currently Speaker of the RA. Would I be able to be both Speaker and Deputy AG, considering they're in separate branches of government and most governments let you serve in only one branch? Why would I be able or not be able to be both? What if I were a Deputy Speaker? Vice Delegate? Minister?

Darcania:
deropia:
abc:
I would plan on asking Kasch, Fawkes and Darcania...
Pop quiz, you may note that I'm currently Speaker of the RA. Would I be able to be both Speaker and Deputy AG, considering they're in separate branches of government and most governments let you serve in only one branch? Why would I be able or not be able to be both? What if I were a Deputy Speaker? Vice Delegate? Minister?

Ah, I can see my mistake now. As it currently stands, no you would not. The Constitution of the North Pacific states under 'Article 7: General Provisions' in subsection 4 that the Speakers office is a part of the Legislative branch of government, and that also includes the Deputy Speaker. Subsection 3 states that the Attorney General and their appointed deputies are a part of the Executive branch. Article 7 Subsection 10 states that 'No person may simultaneously serve in government official positions in more than one of the executive, legislative, or judicial categories. Exceptions to this provision may be established by law.'. However, if you were Vice-Delegate or Minister you would be able to serve as a Deputy AG as they form a part of the Executive branch.

I apologize for my oversight.

Thank you for your question Dracania, I truly appreciate having to do some legal legwork. I hope I have answered to your satisfaction.

However, if you were Vice-Delegate or Minister you would be able to serve as a Deputy AG as they form a part of the Executive branch.
No. The Vice Delegate position is constitutionally mandated.
Constitution 7.1:
1. Constitutionally-mandated elected officials are the Delegate, Vice Delegate, Speaker, Justices, and Attorney General.
Constitution 7.9:
9. No person may simultaneously serve in more than one constitutionally-mandated elected official positions.

Clean Land:
However, if you were Vice-Delegate or Minister you would be able to serve as a Deputy AG as they form a part of the Executive branch.
Constitution 7.1:
1. Constitutionally-mandated elected officials are the Delegate, Vice Delegate, Speaker, Justices, and Attorney General.
Constitution 7.9:
9. No person may simultaneously serve in more than one constitutionally-mandated elected official positions.
Actually, the Deputy AG is an appointed position, not an elected one. Subsection 9 specifically prohibits one from holding more than one elected official position. elected officials are, as you quoted in 7.1 defined as the Delegate, Vice-Delegate, Speaker, Justices and the Attorney General. It does not include their appointed deputies in that list, so I believe your interpretation to be incorrect.

deropia:
Clean Land:
Constitution 7.1:
Constitution 7.9:
Actually, the Deputy AG is an appointed position, not an elected one. Subsection 9 specifically prohibits one from holding more than one elected official position. elected officials are, as you quoted in 7.1 defined as the Delegate, Vice-Delegate, Speaker, Justices and the Attorney General. It does not include their appointed deputies in that list, so I believe your interpretation to be incorrect.
Hmm well not really. Deputies are an extension of an official position.

Tomb was Vice Delegate and Deputy AG. As much as I am highly against it, yes, it is legal cause one is appointed, the other is elected.

Bootsie:
Tomb was Vice Delegate and Deputy AG. As much as I am highly against it, yes, it is legal cause one is appointed, the other is elected.
I'd still say it is not allowed.
The constitution says that you may not serve in more than one of these positions.
It does not simply say that you may not be elected into that position, a notable difference!
A deputy AG acts in the name of the office, when instructed by the AG to do so.
Thus, they serve in one of these constitutionally mandated elected positions, even if they themselves are not elected!

Greetings I have not been around for a while, and yet to venture into TNPs Politics. However in saying that, I have a few questions.
If elected, What experience will you bring to this role?
and Will you be able to cope under pressure?

Thank you for your time

So, a proposal is brought before the Regional Assembly. The Bill is super popular, and thus, gets a ton of support. There comes and motion and a second, but the Speaker, who is avidly against the proposal, refuses to schedule it. In what way are they breaking the law?

What charges would you bring before the Court to convict them, and what kind of sentence would you recommend if they were found guilty?

Clean Land:
Bootsie:
The constitution says that you may not serve in more than one of these positions.
It does not simply say that you may not be elected into that position, a notable difference!
Thus, they serve in one of these constitutionally mandated elected positions, even if they themselves are not elected!

It says you may not serve in more than one elected position, to the letter of the law and I do not believe there to be any ambiguity of the definition that would allow for such an interpretation, according to the Constitution Article 7.2 government officials are defined as the 'constitutionally-mandated elected officials, any officials appointed by them as permitted by law, and members of the Security Council.

7.2 classifies appointed officials as government officials, not constitutionally-mandated elected officials.
7.9 states that No person may simultaneously serve in more than one constitutionally-mandated elected official positions.
As 7.2 defines appointed officials only as 'government officials' not 'constitutionally mandated elected' they are outside of the scope of 7.9.
When you interpret the law, you must interpret it as it reads.
For the law to be interpreted as you are saying 7.1 would have to read 'Constitutionally-mandated elected officials are the Delegate, Vice Delegate, Speaker, Justices, and Attorney General, their Deputies and other appointed officials.'.
As this is not the case, I stand by my assertion that the way you are interpreting the Constitution is inherently flawed.
Banana:
Greetings I have not been around for a while, and yet to venture into TNPs Politics. However in saying that, I have a few questions.
If elected, What experience will you bring to this role?
and Will you be able to cope under pressure?

Thank you for your time

Great questions Banana,

While I have limited legal experience (as stated above in my reply to abc), I do have a number of years in leadership positions in my RL career.

As to your second question, my RL job requires me to be able to keep my composure in high pressure, fast paced, chaotic situations, which happens almost daily. So, I do believe that I would be able to cope under the pressures of being the AG.

Thank you for your questions.

Bootsie:
So, a proposal is brought before the Regional Assembly. The Bill is super popular, and thus, gets a ton of support. There comes and motion and a second, but the Speaker, who is avidly against the proposal, refuses to schedule it. In what way are they breaking the law?

What charges would you bring before the Court to convict them, and what kind of sentence would you recommend if they were found guilty?

Outstanding questions Bootsie,

Since the Oath of Office that all elected and appointed officials must swear before entering office says 'I will use the powers and rights granted to me through The North Pacific Constitution and Legal Code in a legal, responsible, and unbiased manner, not abusing my power, committing misfeasance, malfeasance, or nonfeasance in office' the Speaker must schedule a vote in the Regional Assembly regardless of their personal views on the proposal.
As the Speaker would be acting in a biased manner in refusing to schedule a vote based on their personal bias against the proposal, in direct contradiction to the Standing Procedures of the Speakers Office, which states that once a non-legislative proposal has been moved and seconded that the Speaker must schedule a vote.They would be committing nonfeasance, so I would have to charge them under Section 1.9 of the Criminal Code, Gross Misconduct, since that is the section of the Criminal Code that deals with willfully breaking ones' Oath of Office. For sentencing, I would have to request that the Court remove the Speaker from office and suspend their voting privileges as Section 8 of the Penal Code mandates.
In the case of the Speaker, since they would be undermining the democratic process of the Regional Assembly, and therefore the region as a whole, I would request that the Court impose a suspension of voting privileges for 90 days, or the remainder of the current term, whichever is greater.

I hope I have answered sufficiently, thank you very much for your question

Deropia:
As the Speaker would be acting in a biased manner in refusing to schedule a vote based on their personal bias against the proposal, in direct contradiction to the Standing Procedures of the Speakers Office, which states that once a non-legislative proposal has been moved and seconded that the Speaker must schedule a vote.
Pop quiz.

1. What body or office has the authority to amend the Standing Procedures?
  2. Is the Speaker bound by these Standing Procedures by law?
  3. Is the Speaker required to move a proposal forward when a proposal has been properly motioned, under all circumstances? Either way, please cite the relevant laws, rules, or rulings.

In other news, you've honestly quite impressed me, Deropia. I've spotted a few slip-ups, but you have excellent legal reasoning and a great capacity for learning, and already your grasp of TNP law far exceeds others who have been on the forum about as long as you, and even those who have been here longer. Even if you don't win this, I do hope you'll stick around one of the legal offices of TNP.

As a final question, are there any goals or reforms to the office you'd like to bring about should you win this election?

Darcania:
Deropia:
As the Speaker would be acting in a biased manner in refusing to schedule a vote based on their personal bias against the proposal, in direct contradiction to the Standing Procedures of the Speakers Office, which states that once a non-legislative proposal has been moved and seconded that the Speaker must schedule a vote.
Pop quiz.

1. What body or office has the authority to amend the Standing Procedures?

While I will admit that I am having touble finding anything concrete in the Laws section, having checked the Regional Assembly Rules, Legal Code and Constitution. I have however, reviewed the Standing Procedures thread and it would appear to me that the Office of the Speaker may change the Standing Procedures, as the only times that they have been amended was by the the Speaker.

Darcania:
2. Is the Speaker bound by these Standing Procedures by law?

After reviewing some of the Courts rulings I found In the ruling delivered by the Court delivered August 24th, 2014 On the Use of the Speakers Power to End Debate the court says that "Formal debate, the rules surrounding it, and the decision to move a proposal through that stage and into a vote, fall entirely within the Speaker's discretionary procedures. They would be equally as free to put bills to vote based on the flip of a coin or a well-written original sonnet asking them to do so. While there is a written procedure, it is provided as a courtesy to RA members so they know what to expect most of the time - it is not intended or presented as a promise. The Speaker is free to deviate from their written procedures as they wish." So no, I would say that the Speaker is not bound to the Standing Procedures by law.

Darcania:
3. Is the Speaker required to move a proposal forward when a proposal has been properly motioned, under all circumstances? Either way, please cite the relevant laws, rules, or rulings.
After reviewing the rulings of the Court, I would say no, the Speaker is not required to move a proposal forward. There are two Court Rulings that deal with the ability of the Speaker to end debate on a proposal. Namely, Ruling 16: On the Power of the Speaker to End Debate, delivered January 31, 2013 and Ruling 39: On the Use of the Speaker's Power to End Debate, delivered August 27, 2014.

The Speaker may, at their discretion, refuse to move a proposal forward if it is in the best intrest of the region, as the Court ruled 'Ruling 16: On the Speaker's Power to End Debate'.

Ruling 16:
The Court believes that the Speaker does possess the right to unilaterally table proposals, if their continued debate is not reasonably in the best interests of the region

There is precedent where the Speaker used their authority not to completely stop a debate, but instead stop it from going to vote. This was the case with the Religous Exclusion Act, which brought about Ruling 39. Ruling 39 concluded the following:
Ruling 39:
1. The Speaker's option to refuse a discretionary vote is entirely legal and can be used at any time. The Speaker may deviate from the Standing Procedures at any point, provided that the deviation is not a violation of any other law or policy and does not infringe on any rights.

2. If, at any point, the Speaker determines that allowing a debate to continue is not in the best interests of the region, we concur with the previous Court that they have an obligation to put an end to it.

So, while I would say that as long as the Speaker is not using their authority to put an end to a debate that they have personal objections to, they are well within their right to not move a proposal to vote, provided that they are acting in the best interests of the region as a whole, and not stifling a debate they disagree with.

Darcania:
In other news, you've honestly quite impressed me, Deropia. I've spotted a few slip-ups, but you have excellent legal reasoning and a great capacity for learning, and already your grasp of TNP law far exceeds others who have been on the forum about as long as you, and even those who have been here longer. Even if you don't win this, I do hope you'll stick around one of the legal offices of TNP.

Thank you, Darcania, it means a lot to me to hear that coming from someone who has served TNP with distinction in as many ways as you have. Should I lose to my opponent (or one of my opponents, should someone else decide to stand for election between now and when the declaration period ends.) I would love to become involved with one of TNPs legal offices, would you have any suggestions on how I might do that? I would welcome any input you have on this matter.
Darcania:
As a final question, are there any goals or reforms to the office you'd like to bring about should you win this election?

While I realize that this is a Special Election and I will have a limited amount of time before the next General Election in January, I would like to begin to create a table summarizing the rulings of the court, if that would be acceptable, to make them more accessible to citizens and residents who may not be as inclined to read through the full opinion. I would also like to try and generate more interest in TNPs legal offices be citizens and residents. As for reforms, I feel that the way the AGs office is currently structured is effective, so I wouldn't be looking to change anything about the office until I have some hands-on experience.

Deropia:
Clean Land:
Bootsie:

It says you may not serve in more than one elected position, to the letter of the law and I do not believe there to be any ambiguity of the definition that would allow for such an interpretation, according to the Constitution Article 7.2 government officials are defined as the 'constitutionally-mandated elected officials, any officials appointed by them as permitted by law, and members of the Security Council.

7.2 classifies appointed officials as government officials, not constitutionally-mandated elected officials.
7.9 states that No person may simultaneously serve in more than one constitutionally-mandated elected official positions.
As 7.2 defines appointed officials only as 'government officials' not 'constitutionally mandated elected' they are outside of the scope of 7.9.
For the law to be interpreted as you are saying 7.1 would have to read 'Constitutionally-mandated elected officials are the Delegate, Vice Delegate, Speaker, Justices, and Attorney General, their Deputies and other appointed officials.'.
As this is not the case, I stand by my assertion that the way you are interpreting the Constitution is inherently flawed.
I never said that appointed officials are constitutionally-mandated elected officials.
They are not.
However, if they carry out the duties of a constitutionally-mandated official position, and thus serve in that position, then that does apply to them. Even if they are not the constitutionally-mandated elected official themselves.

Clean Land:
Deropia:
Clean Land:
Bootsie:

I never said that appointed officials are constitutionally-mandated elected officials.
They are not.
However, if they carry out the duties of a constitutionally-mandated official position, and thus serve in that position, then that does apply to them. Even if they are not the constitutionally-mandated elected official themselves.
Deputies serve under the constitutionally-mandated elected official, not in their position. Believe me when I say there is a difference. Though they share some of the same responsibilities they are still their own legally distinct position. If you can point me to the section of the Constitution or the Legal Code that says that Deputies serve in the same position, I will reconsider my argument. However, since I don't believe such a passage exists, I must stand by my original interpretation that as they are their own legally distinct entities that one could serve as both Vice-Delegate and a Deputy.

Hello, I have some questions.

In what circumstances is it appropriate for the Attorney General to utilise their general standing in relation to requests for review to bring a matter to the Court? Are there different considerations in relation to matters where individual residents, or classes of them, are likely to be considered to be affected parties as compared to matters where it is likely that no individual or class could be so considered?

In what circumstances would it be appropriate to exercise the discretion of the Attorney General to refuse to prosecute a criminal complaint?

The Attorney General is constitutionally required to act as legal adviser to officers of the executive on request, if you were requested to so act by the Delegate and advised that a particular act by them would, in your belief, be unlawful and they nonetheless did that act, how would you respond? Would your response differ if the officer was the Vice Delegate, a Minister, or an Election Commissioner?

At present the law of evidence in TNP is contained almost wholly in the Rules of the Court and in rulings of the Court, should consideration be given to endeavouring to codify at least some of the law of evidence and add it to the Codified Law? Why or why not?

Is the current law on sentencing sufficient? Whether or not it is, could it be improved in any particular way?

As the Attorney General is often not a very demanding job, except when it is, how will you prepare for the occassions when the AG is needed to act?

Do you plan to appoint any Deputy AG and if so how many?

How will you prepare any DAGs that you might appoint?

Do you see the office of the Attorney General as being a reactive or proactive position?

Being asked of all candidates.

The following complaints are made(with credible evidence supporting them):

2."The Speaker refused to give me citizenship! I passed both checks! This is outrageous!"
3."The Speaker is biased! I presented my wonderful bill and demanded the speaker to bring it to vote ASAP, but they declined!"
4."The Vice Delegate refused to admit me as Citizen because I didn't endorse the delegate! The Regional Assembly upheld that decision on the same reason! That is a violation of my rights!"
5."My army application was rejected because I was deemed not trustworthy!"
6."The Delegate is planning a coup!"
7.The Minister of Defense complains:"The Delegate and 20 members of the Army have just performed a DDOS attack against a forum of an enemy we declared war on without my prior knowledge! That is illegal!"

Please elaborate your reactions and possible indictments, in detail.

Zyvetskistaahn:
Hello, I have some questions.

In what circumstances is it appropriate for the Attorney General to utilise their general standing in relation to requests for review to bring a matter to the Court? Are there different considerations in relation to matters where individual residents, or classes of them, are likely to be considered to be affected parties as compared to matters where it is likely that no individual or class could be so considered?
This is a great question, I would have to say that when there is no clear individual that has standing to bring a matter before the courts that the Attorney General should utilize their standing. In the case of individuals, I believe that the AG should utilize their standing if said individual is uncomfortable in their ability to properly represent themselves to the court. In the case of groups of individuals, I believe that the AG should make use of their general standing if it would be difficult it determine who among that group would have standing with the court. In the case where no individual or group has standing, I believe that the AG should use their general standing if the matter requiring review needs to be dealt with in an expedient manner and determining who would have standing would delay proceedings to the extent that it would be detrimental to the community.

Zyvetskistaahn:
In what circumstances would it be appropriate to exercise the discretion of the Attorney General to refuse to prosecute a criminal complaint?
There are very few circumstances that I believe the AG should refuse to pursue prosecution. When deciding to prosecute I believe that the AG should ask themselves three questions: Is the complaint valid? By that I mean is what is being alleged in the complaint actually the crime or a misinterpretation of the law. Does the evidence support the complaint? Finally, is the evidence reliable? If the answer is no, I believe it would be proper for the AGs office to decline prosecution.

Zyvetskistaahn:
The Attorney General is constitutionally required to act as legal adviser to officers of the executive on request, if you were requested to so act by the Delegate and advised that a particular act by them would, in your belief, be unlawful and they nonetheless did that act, how would you respond? Would your response differ if the officer was the Vice Delegate, a Minister, or an Election Commissioner?
Well, if I advised a government official that the actions they were about to take are illegal and they went ahead and did at anyway, I would have to remind them of their responsibility as a government official to conduct themselves in accordance with the law and offer them the opportunity to remedy the situation. If they still chose to continue with the illegal action, I would have to request that the Court review their actions and if the illegal action warranted, filing the appropriate criminal charges. I believe that regardless of the position in the government, that we are all equal under the law, so I would like to think that I would treat the Election Commissioner the same way I would treat the Delegate.

Zyvetskistaahn:
At present the law of evidence in TNP is contained almost wholly in the Rules of the Court and in rulings of the Court, should consideration be given to endeavouring to codify at least some of the law of evidence and add it to the Codified Law? Why or why not?
Personally, I believe so. While Rulings of the Court do indeed carry the force of law, having them codified would, in my opinion, ensure that all evidence is treated equally and consistently, as Court Rulings may be overturned at a later date whole codified lay may only be amended by a majority vote in the Regional Assembly.
Zyvetskistaahn:
Is the current law on sentencing sufficient? Whether or not it is, could it be improved in any particular way?
While I believe that the Penal Code sufficiently and appropriately covers matters of sentencing, I believe it could be improved by including maximum sentences instead of simply stating 'a finite amount of time'. Imposing maximum sentences would ensure that the punishment fits the crime by making sure that no one is punished too harshly.
Artemis:
As the Attorney General is often not a very demanding job, except when it is, how will you prepare for the occassions when the AG is needed to act?
Ah, I would have to say that having enough well trained Deputies to designate could help mitigate the demands of the office during those trying times

Artemis:
Do you plan to appoint any Deputy AG and if so how many?
Yes, any government official needs support from time to time. I would like to appoint at least 3, one current Deputy AG, to ensure and that relevant experience is maintained and two fresh faces.
Artemis:
How will you prepare any DAGs that you might appoint?
I would start by having discussions with my appointed Deputies regarding the Constitution and Legal Code, to ensure that they had a proper understanding and interpretation of the law.
Artemis:
Do you see the office of the Attorney General as being a reactive or proactive position?
While I see the Office of the AG as primarily reactionary, I believe that a proactive approach can be taken in most of its' duties. For example, keeping an eye out for any possible criminal activity as opposed to waiting for a criminal complaint to be filed and monitoring the actions of the government for anything that may require legal advice to be given.

Clean Land:
The following complaints are made(with credible evidence supporting them):

2."The Speaker refused to give me citizenship! I passed both checks! This is outrageous!"
I would remind the petitioner that there are actually three checks to obtain citizenship and recommend that they correct the issue raised by the Speaker check, or failing that, petition the Regional Assembly for citizenship.
Clean Land:
3."The Speaker is biased! I presented my wonderful bill and demanded the speaker to bring it to vote ASAP, but they declined!"
I would inform the complainant that the Speaker is operating well withing the bounds of their office by refusing a demand to bring any proposal to vote. The Court has ruled that the speaker can table any debate or vote that they feel would be detrimental to the region.
Clean Land:
4."The Vice Delegate refused to admit me as Citizen because I didn't endorse the delegate! The Regional Assembly upheld that decision on the same reason! That is a violation of my rights!"
Since Section 4 of the Bill of Rights covers this, I do believe that this would go against the VDs Oath of Office and would consider pursuing Gross Misconduct charges and since the RA has already declined to grant citizenship, I would have to file a review in the Court.
Clean Land:
5."My army application was rejected because I was deemed not trustworthy!"
As the members of the NPA are charged with the security with the region and our allies, if the Executive Officer in charge of the NPA feels that you are a threat to TNPs security I believe they would be right to reject an application.
Clean Land:
6."The Delegate is planning a coup!"
As this is a very serious allegation, if I received strong, compelling evidence that the Delegate was planning to overthrow the government I would have to notify the Security Council so that they could begin to make necessary preparations and since it is currently a planned coup, and not one that was actually attempted, I believe an indictment for Conspiracy to Commit Treason would be warranted.
Clean Land:
7.The Minister of Defense complains:"The Delegate and 20 members of the Army have just performed a DDOS attack against a forum of an enemy we declared war on without my prior knowledge! That is illegal!"
Why yes it is. I guess that means a rather large criminal prosecution would be about to take place since it is covered by Section 1.4. of the Criminal Code, Crashing, Phishing, or Spamming.

Seeing as there is roughly one month left in the term till the next scheduled General Election, if elected do you intend to stand for election then?

Some would say that the quote pyramid you screwed up above indicates that you don't really care much about this election, and thus are unsuited to hold public office here. How would you respond?

Artemis:
Seeing as there is roughly one month left in the term till the next scheduled General Election, if elected do you intend to stand for election then?
Yes, I do.
Mall:
Some would say that the quote pyramid you screwed up above indicates that you don't really care much about this election, and thus are unsuited to hold public office here. How would you respond?

I would first off, like to apologize for the formatting error, apparently I missed adding a '[/quote]' tag. I would also like to assure the electorate that I do indeed care about this election and the Office of the Attorney General. I have great respect for my region mates and for the Government of the North Pacific and would not have stood for election if this were not the case. I have corrected the formatting error and hope that the voters can forgive my oversight.

Deropia:
Zyvetskistaahn:
There are very few circumstances that I believe the AG should refuse to pursue prosecution. When deciding to prosecute I believe that the AG should ask themselves three questions: Is the complaint valid? By that I mean is what is being alleged in the complaint actually the crime or a misinterpretation of the law. Does the evidence support the complaint? Finally, is the evidence reliable? If the answer is no, I believe it would be proper for the AGs office to decline prosecution.
Suppose that there were a coup, the incumbent Delegate had declared the government dissolved and their intent to institute their own form of government, and that a nation came to the delegacy that was not authorised to do so (perhaps appearing to be a crony of the Delegate) and returned the region to constitutional order, despite not being any government authority of the region; a criminal complaint is presented to you suggesting that their taking of the delegacy in an unauthorised manner amounted to gross misconduct or treason, would the fact that they have, perhaps, saved the region not weigh against the interest in prosecuting them?

Suppose that a member of the NPA has, in the course of an officially sanctioned mission, committed espionage, but been granted an exemption by the Delegate (and that this exemption was properly granted), that member may have also committed gross misconduct (in that all illegal conduct can be such) and a criminal complaint is made against them on that basis, might it not be contrary to the interests of the region to prosecute them, even if you thought a prosecution would succeed?

Deropia:
Zyvetskistaahn:
Well, if I advised a government official that the actions they were about to take are illegal and they went ahead and did at anyway, I would have to remind them of their responsibility as a government official to conduct themselves in accordance with the law and offer them the opportunity to remedy the situation. If they still chose to continue with the illegal action, I would have to request that the Court review their actions and if the illegal action warranted, filing the appropriate criminal charges. I believe that regardless of the position in the government, that we are all equal under the law, so I would like to think that I would treat the Election Commissioner the same way I would treat the Delegate.
In respect of criminal proceedings, might any difficulties arise as a consequence of your having became involved in giving advice prior to the action? Particularly, might difficulties may arise in relation to conflicts of interest in such a circumstance? Would it be open to you to use advice given to an official to support a criminal prosecution (for instance to prove that a violation of the law was doing knowing it was a violation)? Might the possibility of using such advice to support a prosecution have a negative effect, if it is permissible?

Might there not be particular considerations to bear in mind before taking action against a Delegate that has deliberately taken an apparently illegal action, as compared to against an Election Commissioner who has done so, considering the Delegate's powerful in-game position and the risks involved?

Might there not be alternative avenues that could be pursued in relation to a Minister, given that they have an official overseeing them in the form of the Delegate?

Deropia:
Mall:

I would first off, like to apologize for the formatting error, apparently I missed adding a '(tag removed)' tag. I would also like to assure the electorate that I do indeed care about this election and the Office of the Attorney General. I have great respect for my region mates and for the Government of the North Pacific and would not have stood for election if this were not the case. I have corrected the formatting error and hope that the voters can forgive my oversight.
Your region mates include me, a person who has couped the South Pacific, a friend of our region TNP. You have great respect for those who coup our friends, by implication. Some would say that you are thereby endorsing mistreatment of our closest friends. How would you respond?

Additionally, some would say that the Government of the North Pacific, as it relates to the AG's office, has been the laughing stock of NS for more than six years, and thus to say that you have great respect for it is either born from ignorance or is a sycophantic attempt to gain votes. How would you respond?

Mall:
Deropia:
Mall:

I would first off, like to apologize for the formatting error, apparently I missed adding a '(tag removed)' tag. I would also like to assure the electorate that I do indeed care about this election and the Office of the Attorney General. I have great respect for my region mates and for the Government of the North Pacific and would not have stood for election if this were not the case. I have corrected the formatting error and hope that the voters can forgive my oversight.
Your region mates include me, a person who has couped the South Pacific, a friend of our region TNP. You have great respect for those who coup our friends, by implication. Some would say that you are thereby endorsing mistreatment of our closest friends. How would you respond?

Additionally, some would say that the Government of the North Pacific, as it relates to the AG's office, has been the laughing stock of NS for more than six years, and thus to say that you have great respect for it is either born from ignorance or is a sycophantic attempt to gain votes. How would you respond?
Just making sure this wasn't missed.

My apologies on the delayed response.

Zyvetskistaahn:
Suppose that there were a coup, the incumbent Delegate had declared the government dissolved and their intent to institute their own form of government, and that a nation came to the delegacy that was not authorised to do so (perhaps appearing to be a crony of the Delegate) and returned the region to constitutional order, despite not being any government authority of the region; a criminal complaint is presented to you suggesting that their taking of the delegacy in an unauthorised manner amounted to gross misconduct or treason, would the fact that they have, perhaps, saved the region not weigh against the interest in prosecuting them?

Of course, extreme mitigating circumstances should be taken into consideration when deciding to pursue criminal charges. In this case, I believe that the government being dissolved would in and of itself be an illegal act, as instituting a new form of government would require amendments be made to the constitution. In this, rather extreme case, I believe the fact that the accused would have been acting in the best interests of the region and as you said, perhaps, even saved it, would be enough of a mitigating circumstance that would warrant prosecution not being pursued.

Zyvetskistaahn:
Suppose that a member of the NPA has, in the course of an officially sanctioned mission, committed espionage, but been granted an exemption by the Delegate (and that this exemption was properly granted), that member may have also committed gross misconduct (in that all illegal conduct can be such) and a criminal complaint is made against them on that basis, might it not be contrary to the interests of the region to prosecute them, even if you thought a prosecution would succeed?
Provided that the exemption was properly granted and that the member was on an officially sanctioned mission and was acting in the interests of regional security, again I would say that prosecution would not be warranted as the criminal code provides for exemptions under section 9. As for the charge of gross misconduct, since an exemption had been granted, I would be hard-pressed to determine that pursuing a criminal case would be warranted since, by virtue of their exemption, no illegal act had been comitted.
Zyvetskistaahn:
In respect of criminal proceedings, might any difficulties arise as a consequence of your having became involved in giving advice prior to the action? Particularly, might difficulties may arise in relation to conflicts of interest in such a circumstance? Would it be open to you to use advice given to an official to support a criminal prosecution (for instance to prove that a violation of the law was doing knowing it was a violation)? Might the possibility of using such advice to support a prosecution have a negative effect, if it is permissible?

I suppose one could argue a conflict of interest, in that one could argue that I could be pressing charges because of a personal qualm I have with the defendant for ignoring my advice. I would be open to using the advice given as evidence, provided there were no issues of privilege and that the topic being discussed was not considered classified by the government. Of course, there is the possibility that using the advice as evidence could have a negative impact, especially if the court were to opine that the advice was faulty.

Zyvetskistaahn:
Might there not be particular considerations to bear in mind before taking action against a Delegate that has deliberately taken an apparently illegal action, as compared to against an Election Commissioner who has done so, considering the Delegate's powerful in-game position and the risks involved?

I suppose considerations must be given to bringing a case against the Delegate, especially ones that pertain to regional security. However, if we're talking personal risks here, I believe that taking personal risk, when the head of government is taking an apparently illegal action is justified, if it is the best intrest of the region.

Zyvetskistaahn:
Might there not be alternative avenues that could be pursued in relation to a Minister, given that they have an official overseeing them in the form of the Delegate?
Well, I suppose discussing the situation with the Delegate before pursueing any matters in court ould be a viable alternative, depending on the severity of the infraction.

Mall:
Mall:
Deropia:
Mall:

Just making sure this wasn't missed.
I apologize for my late response, Mall. While I might not have respect for all of a persons' actions, I can still have respect for the person. Given your contributions to the NS community, I feel that such respect is warranted.

I honestly wouldn't consider the Government of TNP, or the AGs office to be a laughing stock, could you provide a specific example of how this would be the case?

I just wanted to say, I went into this race thinking the decision would be easy and a foregone conclusion, but the candidates performed very well and you in particular really impressed me. I think all three of you have demonstrated that you would do well in the office, but I wanted to cast my vote for you because I really feel you earned it. I hope that you continue pursuing the office even as a deputy because you showed a talent for this work with this campaign.

Thank you for your kind words and support Mr Delegate, I can assure you that it would be an honour to serve as a deputy, should I have the opportunity and I would certainly reoffer myself for election in the future once I gain more experience with the laws of TNP. I look forward to what the future holds.

Once again, thank you for your support!

Back