[DRAFT] Elections, Elections, and more Elections!

Kaschovia

Under the Sakura
-
-
-
-
Pronouns
He/Him/His
TNP Nation
Kaschovia
Discord
kaschovia
November has been one hell of a month for the North Pacific. Along with the Friendship Fair that took place in early November, we've also seen three elections! Oh, what a time to be a citizen of the North Pacific; we'll have surely emptied the rum barrels by December!

Election for Court Justices

The candidates were Bootsie, Zyvetskistaahn, Scorch, and MacSalterson. The first three were elected, with Bootsie receiving 42 votes, Zyvetskistaahn with 46, and Scorch with 28. MacSalterson got 19 votes but was not elected. There were 33 abstentions.

Bootsie ran suggesting the idea of electing an alternative, cited many of his former positions, and expressed his commitment to the position. In his campaign thread, he said that he "knows TNP law very well" and that he has "served as a Temporary Hearing Officer." He answered questions on how he intends to make sure that he will not be absent again, and on his views of the region's laws in general. He ended his campaign post with a reassuring promise of fairness for the betterment of the region.

Zyvetskistaahn ran using his extensive and impressive experience with the Court and displayed his knowledge of our laws well. He also cited his former positions as Speaker and Court Justice. He mentioned the court cases that he has been dealt with and made recommendations for the changes he'd make if elected. He answered questions about his views on current Court procedures, whether they should be changed, and in what ways.

Scorch's campaign was short but effective. He mentioned his lack of legal experience but cited his roles as Deputy Attorney General, Minister of Communications, and Minister of Home Affairs. He answered questions about what his goals are and why he is different from other candidates and gained experience from former positions.

MacSalterson ran but did not post a campaign.

Special Speaker Election

The candidates were Darcania and James Urquhart. Darcania won by 25 votes, James Urquhart received only 3 votes and there were 5 abstentions.

Darcania's platform was focused on three main principles, stability, consistency, and activity. He was honest and mentioned that he had no direct experience with being Speaker, but had simple and achievable plans that he wanted to work on if elected and cited his qualifications in previous positions in relation to our laws. He expressed his desire to bring back RA Digests and set out the blueprints for effective management of Deputies and of citizenship/admin checks.

James' platform was simple and straightforward. He outlined a few main goals, such as increased activity in posting RA Digests, urging more frequent citizenship checks along with his Deputies and instilling a sense of urgency within the office.

Both candidates were extensively questioned on their knowledge of the laws surrounding the Speaker position and were asked to deal with hypothetical scenarios. It is evident from the results of the election that Darcania responded better to this questioning than James Urquhart. Residency and previous experience may have also played a part in voters deciding, as Darcania has held a presence in the North Pacific for quite a while longer than James has.

Special Election for Attorney General

The initial candidates were Deropia, Goyanes, Clean Land, Drasnia, and James Urquhart. Early on in the election, Clean Land withdrew their candidacy. James Urquhart was banned after the first vote began, voting had to be restarted. The candidates were then Goyanes, Drasnia, and Deropia.

Goyanes won 30 votes. Deropia got 9 votes, Drasnia got 8, and there were 9 abstentions.

Goyanes ran on a three-sentence campaign, simply mentioning his previous experience as a Deputy Attorney General and inviting questions, most of which he answered fully and appropriately.

Drasnia ran on a similar campaign, alluding to a lack of experience in judicial branch positions, but claimed he still knew a 'decent amount of law.' Like Goyanes, he was very inviting to questions, answered them well, and displayed refreshing enthusiasm.

Deropia, the newest member of the three, had a longer campaign. He recognised the unpopularity of the office of the Attorney General, saying it was not 'the most sought after office.' But he additionally recognized his own inexperience and residence in the region, saying that 'I know I am new and still learning my way around' though he provided a counter to these comments by saying 'I believe that I have what it takes to execute the duties and responsibilities of the Office of the Attorney General effectively and efficiently.' Overall, Deropia campaigned and responded to questions well.

All of these candidates were questioned heavily on their knowledge and their theoretical and practical understanding of the role of the AG. The answers to their questions played a larger role in the results of the election than their campaigns, that is for sure.

Maybe change TNPer to "citizen of The North Pacific"? I really like the detail you put into the campaigns, though. Good start!

zamerriman:
Maybe change TNPer to "citizen of The North Pacific"? I really like the detail you put into the campaigns, though. Good start!
I'll consider it.

Thank you! :)

Back