[GA, Failed] Marriage Blocker [Complete]

Fawkes

TNPer

ga.jpg

Marriage Blocker
Category: Human Rights | Strength: Mild
Proposed by: Clean Land | Onsite Topic

No consensus exists between the member states on the topic of marriage
Constant debate on this topic is hindering the Assembly to resolve other matters
Nevertheless, personal unions are allowing people to live and act together
Without personal unions emotionally close people are facing unnecessary and possibly harmful restrictions upon living together
Such personal unions are deemed socially important by most communities

Thus, the World Assembly decrees

that member states shall be allowed to legislate on the topics of Marriage, personal unions and Civil Unions freely within the boundaries set by this resolution and earlier resolutions

Additionally, the World Assembly urges member states to officially recognize personal unions and to support the positive effects of officially recognized personal unions

Voting Instructions:
  • Vote For if you want the Delegate to vote For the resolution.
  • Vote Against if you want the Delegate to vote Against the resolution.
  • Vote Abstain if you want the Delegate to abstain from voting on this resolution.
  • Vote Present if you are personally abstaining from this vote.

Detailed opinions with your vote are appreciated and encouraged!

[wavote=the_north_pacific,ga]2017_10_30_marriage_blocker[/wavote]
[wavote=world,ga]2017_10_30_marriage_blocker[/wavote]

This resolution states that the WA has not reached a consensus on marriage equality, and that the constant debate does not allow progress in other matters. This ignores that other matters are still discussed and presented to the WA and reach the voting floor. The text also states that member nations should be allowed to legislate on marriage and civil unions, even though such a right has never been restricted. This attempt to end the discussion on marriage equality is deceptive and does not extend the rights granted by existing legislation, but tries to minimize the efforts of the WA to resolve the issue in a truly progressive way: respecting the right of consenting adults to get married and be recognized as equal before the law.

For these reasons, the Ministry of World Assembly Affairs recommends a vote against this resolution

This is a great resolution to ensure that these topics are sealed off for good. You don't have to fear that a resolution passes that makes your nation do something you don't want, whether it would be forcing members of a religion in your nation to act against their beliefs in internal ceremonies or forcing your nation to only accept heterosexual marriages(such a draft actually exists).
It would also allow the WA to move on and legislate on something that has actually reliable support for changes.
The Urge clauses are not mandatory(but you will be urged by the WA to change constantly if you dont do it)
and they are needed for that proposal to be legal.

For.

Against. This is not the way to end the Marriage Equality issue. I'm still waiting for a decent proposal to hit the voting floor and finally end this discussion, while truly recognizing the right of consenting adults to get married, to call their union a marriage and to be granted with the rights and responsibilities therein.

Against.

We shouldn’t give bigots a free pass to trample on LGBT+ rights.

A NatSov approach to this may be at the time a possible solution. This debate has only brought division in the WA and allowing Nations to legislate themselves will allow the WA to move on.

Abstain, for now

Against,
Whilst I agree with what Tlomz said about it allowing The WA to move on, I feel that this is a weak way of ending the conversation and doesn’t really add anything that is useful. So with this being such a poor attempt at solving the marriage equality issue, I can’t see how a vote for this resolution would benefit anyone.

Against, we need a better resolution to end the marriage equality issue.

Against. While I would like to see the debate on marriage equality brought to a close, this resolution is not of a high enough quality for me to consider a vote for. Format and grammar aside, the resolution also does nothing to extend protections for members of the LGBQ+ community.

Against as well, while I believe that the WA needs to find a solution which fits ( I am pro lgbt rights being bisexual) this isn't the resolution I can vote for.

Clean Land, take advantage of the fact that you're a member of The North Pacific. We have resources available to help you in drafting resolutions, including the Ministry of World Assembly Affairs and the World Assembly Legislative League. If you have an idea, bring it to these organizations first and we can help you avoid the stomping that this resolution is getting right now. It's not advisable to submit a resolution without a drafting phase and without others looking into it. So, next time, please let us work with you.

Present

Voting on this resolution has ended.

Thanks to those nations who cast their votes. Your participation is a great help to the region.

This topic has been locked and sent to the Archives for safekeeping. If you would like this topic to be re-opened for further discussion, please contact the WA Delegate, a Global Moderator, or an Administrator for assistance. Thank you.

Back