TNP Nation
sil_dorsett
Discord
sildorsett
Category: Commendation
Nominee: The Rejected Realms
Proposed by: Cepcecic Diplomacy
Onsite Topic

CONGRATULATING The Rejected Realms on achieving a stable and safe democracy without being able to issue bans and ejections, and for accepting nations with open arms.

RECOGNISING The Rejected Realms on having the oldest army of any region, the RRA (Rejected Realms Army). This army is a defender army and strives for interregional peace and prosperity.

ACKNOWLEDGING that The Rejected Realms is a diplomatic ally with many regions who works towards international peace. Without The Rejected Realms's efforts, progress towards international peace would have slowed down significantly.

THANKING The Rejected Realms for their assistance and leadership of several missions to liberate regions in distress including but not limited to:
- Japan, a small region with high influence.
- The South Pacific, one of the largest feeder regions.
- Hogwarts, another small region with high influence.
- Lazarus, a fellow defender region with extremely high influence.

APPLAUDING The Rejected Realms's successful defence of 10000 Islands in 2003. Despite 10000 Islands not being a defender region at the time, it's successful defence would eventually lead to it becoming one of the largest and most influential Defender regions in the world.

MOVED by The Rejected Realms's outstanding cultural diversity, with no limits to its endless array of different nations. This cultural diversity allows nations unfamiliar or new to the The Rejected Realms to participate in a vast plethora of activities, discussions, and the inclusion that many regions lack.

ESTABLISHING The Rejected Realms as a unique region due to its periodic regional newspaper (The Rejected Times), which documents and records events across Nationstates for everyone to read.

DISTINGUISHING The Rejected Realms for being a founder member of the ADN, and later being an influential member of the FRA. Their contributions kept the FRA running for many years after, with many of the Arch Chancellors of the FRA coming from The Rejected Realms.

APPALLED that The Rejected Realms has been underappreciated for so long, and has failed thus far to be noticed by the esteemed members of the World Assembly for its outstanding performance and resolve.

KNOWING that with the passage of this resolution that The Rejected Realms can only continue to strive for international peace and success.

HEREBY Commends The Rejected Realms for outstanding performance, resolve, diversity, and courage

Voting Instructions:
  • Vote For if you want the Delegate to vote For the resolution.
  • Vote Against if you want the Delegate to vote Against the resolution.
  • Vote Abstain if you want the Delegate to abstain from voting on this resolution

Minister's note: Please review the onsite forum thread before casting your vote on this one.

A commendation is given as an award for a truly outstanding contribution. Unfortunately, the resolution written by Cepcecic Diplomacy does not provide any examples of unique achievements accomplished by The Rejected Realms that are worthy of a commendation. The examples of achieving democracy, running a regional newspaper, and achieving cultural diversity could be said for countless other regions. Commendations must be reserved for recognizing something exceptional and not be handed out simply for being a good nation or region.

For these reasons, the Ministry of World Assembly Affairs recommends a vote against the resolution.

Praetor:
(I'll reply in a bit explaining why unless someone else does)
Don't wait. Go for it now. Part of the discussion is seeing whether other people agree with your thoughts on the issue.

Sil Dorsett:
Praetor:
Don't wait. Go for it now. Part of the discussion is seeing whether other people agree with your thoughts on the issue.
I was just doing some research/hoping someone else would post so I wouldn't have to write something. :P

First and foremost, I oppose this on Out Of Character grounds. The author of this proposal is highly suspect, due to the posts in the thread, we know that Unibot had a hand in the writing of the proposal. To what extent is not known, however, Former Delegate of TWP, Bhang Bhang Duc "suspects, but can't prove, that [the author] actually only wrote a proportion of this proposal" copying the majority of the proposal verbatim from his telegrams with Unibot. I personally share his suspicions.

Now, Unibot is forum banned from TNP and essentially ostracized from the wider NS community for OOC reasons. He has taken up a recent habit of attempting to manipulate other nations (frequently badge hunters) to follow his suggestions and advance his agenda. I don't think that The North Pacific should have a hand in enabling his attempt at relevance in NS.

As well, the submitter of the proposal has a history of rule breaking and lying about it. He's also been ejected from out ally, Europeia, for spamming them.

Neither of the two individuals involved in this text coming to vote are reputable.

Now, as for the proposal itself, it isn't that fantastic...

CONGRATULATING The Rejected Realms on achieving a stable and safe democracy without being able to issue bans and ejections, and for accepting nations with open arms.
I would argue that it's actually because they are unable to issue ban and ejections that they are a democracy. Dictatorships thrive off of being able to silence or remove dissenters. It seems only natural that for a region in which everyone is forced to come together that it will eventually organize itself in a form of democracy. I would hardly argue that TRR is stable and safe, they are under threat whenever a raider army piles past their Delegate. Lastly, the vast majority of regions accept nations with open arms (and it's especially in TRR's interests to do so giving their lack of capabilities for recruiting).

RECOGNISING The Rejected Realms on having the oldest army of any region, the RRA (Rejected Realms Army). This army is a defender army and strives for interregional peace and prosperity.
I'm somewhat doubtful that they have the oldest army but I'll trust it (someone has to be first after all) but I hardly think being the first region with an army is commendable. Striving for interregional and prosperity? Seems like a bit of a stretch. I don't really see any examples on how they did that. And, of late, I hardly hear anything about the RRA compared to other defender organizations (TGW most notably).

ACKNOWLEDGING that The Rejected Realms is a diplomatic ally with many regions who works towards international peace. Without The Rejected Realms's efforts, progress towards international peace would have slowed down significantly.
Okay, great, they have allies. Most regions do. Again, lack of evidence here (or in the thread) demonstrating TRR's contributions towards "peace".
THANKING The Rejected Realms for their assistance and leadership of several missions to liberate regions in distress including but not limited to:
Alright, this is good. :P I'd argue that Japan and Hogwarts aren't of that importance (also think thanking is a weird verb to use here). I'd like to point out that TNP also contributed in Laz and TSP's defence as well. TNP was largely attributed to being responsible for the liberation of Laz. Also, TNP contributed to Osiris's security. Just a reminder that Commend TNP was not passed despite pointing these out. :P

APPLAUDING The Rejected Realms's successful defence of 10000 Islands in 2003. Despite 10000 Islands not being a defender region at the time, it's successful defence would eventually lead to it becoming one of the largest and most influential Defender regions in the world.
Okay, this is impressive as well. However, I think it should be merged with the previous clause. I also think that this proposal shouldn't try to attribute 10KI's success to TRR.

MOVED by The Rejected Realms's outstanding cultural diversity, with no limits to its endless array of different nations. This cultural diversity allows nations unfamiliar or new to the The Rejected Realms to participate in a vast plethora of activities, discussions, and the inclusion that many regions lack.
Okay, this is fluff. What GCR doesn't do this? The vast majority of mainstream regions do this as well (that aren't focused around a particular nation). I'd also like to point out that TRR doesn't have a choice in this instance. They can't eject nations they don't like.

ESTABLISHING The Rejected Realms as a unique region due to its periodic regional newspaper (The Rejected Times), which documents and records events across Nationstates for everyone to read.
Unique? Pretty much every main region has a newspaper! Again, I'd like to remind everyone that this newspaper often functioned as a propaganda piece for the aforementioned Unibot targetting TNP. (I'll go dumpster diving in a bit for links). Links! Apparently this one shows that information from our Private Halls was published and this is a statement by r3n and McM about Unibot's PNG. I wasn't around for that time so I am only able to provide links and am unable to confirm the veracity.

DISTINGUISHING The Rejected Realms for being a founder member of the ADN, and later being an influential member of the FRA. Their contributions kept the FRA running for many years after, with many of the Arch Chancellors of the FRA coming from The Rejected Realms.
Okay, again, commendable I think, if the ADN or FRA were still around...

APPALLED that The Rejected Realms has been underappreciated for so long, and has failed thus far to be noticed by the esteemed members of the World Assembly for its outstanding performance and resolve.
Fluff.
KNOWING that with the passage of this resolution that The Rejected Realms can only continue to strive for international peace and success.
Fluff.
HEREBY Commends The Rejected Realms for outstanding performance, resolve, diversity, and courage
Fluff.

Holistically, while there are parts that are impressive, the text by itself (ignoring itself) doesn't present a strong enough case for a Commendation for TRR. It relies heavily on buzzwords such as "peace and success" but I do not believe it demonstrates it enough. I'd also recommend comparing this to the proposal to Commend TNP which was not passed. I don't think this resolution is better than that.

I'm not opposed to a Commendation for TRR, however, I don't think this is the proposal for it.

EDIT: Sources, clarification and grammar.

I agree that this is not the right proposal to commend TRR. This is exactly because it doesn't adequately reflect why TRR is a valid commendation candidate. You could argue for or against it, but the commendation should at least lay out the best case, which it doesn't do here.

Having said that... Praetor diminishes TRR's successes. This strengthens the case for why this commendation is not good enough, because again it does not convey those successes well enough. For example, the fact that in a region where internal coups cannot be opposed at all, other than by persuading the regional population to back the current government, that no one ever even came close to internally couping TRR (and not for a lack of trying) is a testament to the support the residents have for the regional government.

I can personally attest that the RRA has been pretty much the continuously active for the past six years, and it has been around for another seven years before that. If you look at its total sum of contributions to the defender side, only TITO rivals it.

I think TRR is commendable, but like the majority here, I do agree that this particular resolution does not do a good job of laying out the facts.

Against.

I agree with Tomb, this resolution doesn't quite do what it should for TRR to be commended.

I vote AGAINST.

Against. Don't even care about the resolution itself; the OOC context is enough for my decision.

Praetor:
Sil Dorsett:
Praetor:
I was just doing some research/hoping someone else would post so I wouldn't have to write something. :P

First and foremost, I oppose this on Out Of Character grounds. The author of this proposal is highly suspect, due to the posts in the thread, we know that Unibot had a hand in the writing of the proposal. To what extent is not known, however, Former Delegate of TWP, Bhang Bhang Duc "suspects, but can't prove, that [the author] actually only wrote a proportion of this proposal" copying the majority of the proposal verbatim from his telegrams with Unibot. I personally share his suspicions.

Now, Unibot is forum banned from TNP and essentially ostracized from the wider NS community for OOC reasons. He has taken up a recent habit of attempting to manipulate other nations (frequently badge hunters) to follow his suggestions and advance his agenda. I don't think that The North Pacific should have a hand in enabling his attempt at relevance in NS.

As well, the submitter of the proposal has a history of rule breaking and lying about it. He's also been ejected from out ally, Europeia, for spamming them.

Neither of the two individuals involved in this text coming to vote are reputable.

Now, as for the proposal itself, it isn't that fantastic...

I would argue that it's actually because they are unable to issue ban and ejections that they are a democracy. Dictatorships thrive off of being able to silence or remove dissenters. It seems only natural that for a region in which everyone is forced to come together that it will eventually organize itself in a form of democracy. I would hardly argue that TRR is stable and safe, they are under threat whenever a raider army piles past their Delegate. Lastly, the vast majority of regions accept nations with open arms (and it's especially in TRR's interests to do so giving their lack of capabilities for recruiting).

I'm somewhat doubtful that they have the oldest army but I'll trust it (someone has to be first after all) but I hardly think being the first region with an army is commendable. Striving for interregional and prosperity? Seems like a bit of a stretch. I don't really see any examples on how they did that. And, of late, I hardly hear anything about the RRA compared to other defender organizations (TGW most notably).

Okay, great, they have allies. Most regions do. Again, lack of evidence here (or in the thread) demonstrating TRR's contributions towards "peace".
Alright, this is good. :P I'd argue that Japan and Hogwarts aren't of that importance (also think thanking is a weird verb to use here). I'd like to point out that TNP also contributed in Laz and TSP's defence as well. TNP was largely attributed to being responsible for the liberation of Laz. Also, TNP contributed to Osiris's security. Just a reminder that Commend TNP was not passed despite pointing these out. :P

Okay, this is impressive as well. However, I think it should be merged with the previous clause. I also think that this proposal shouldn't try to attribute 10KI's success to TRR.

Okay, this is fluff. What GCR doesn't do this? The vast majority of mainstream regions do this as well (that aren't focused around a particular nation). I'd also like to point out that TRR doesn't have a choice in this instance. They can't eject nations they don't like.

Unique? Pretty much every main region has a newspaper! Again, I'd like to remind everyone that this newspaper often functioned as a propaganda piece for the aforementioned Unibot targetting TNP. (I'll go dumpster diving in a bit for links). Links! Apparently this one shows that information from our Private Halls was published and this is a statement by r3n and McM about Unibot's PNG. I wasn't around for that time so I am only able to provide links and am unable to confirm the veracity.

Okay, again, commendable I think, if the ADN or FRA were still around...

Fluff.
Fluff.
Fluff.

Holistically, while there are parts that are impressive, the text by itself (ignoring itself) doesn't present a strong enough case for a Commendation for TRR. It relies heavily on buzzwords such as "peace and success" but I do not believe it demonstrates it enough. I'd also recommend comparing this to the proposal to Commend TNP which was not passed. I don't think this resolution is better than that.

I'm not opposed to a Commendation for TRR, however, I don't think this is the proposal for it.

EDIT: Sources, clarification and grammar.
I agree. The fluff percentage is far too high in this one.

Against.

Voting on this resolution has ended.

Thanks to those nations who cast their votes. Your participation is a great help to the region.

This topic has been locked and sent to the Archives for safekeeping. If you would like this topic to be re-opened for further discussion, please contact the WA Delegate, a Global Moderator, or an Administrator for assistance. Thank you.

Back