Into the Heart of Danger [Invite-Only][FT]

Esplandia

Factbook Addict
-
TNP Nation
Esplandia
Discord
esplandia
Information was the most prescious commodity in the entire universe. It was hard to come by, expensive to obtain, and useless if everyone else knew it. On Lamplight there were many peddlers of information, some more reliable than others, and none of them completely trust worthy. Allan Gray,ship's doctor for the Valkyrie Reborn, knew them all.

What he was looking for was information that would mean a good payoff, and there was only one truly reliable source for anything big. Skeev Max, known to everyone as the little curio shop owner on the lower borough. Allan knew him as the one with his ear out for the best tidbits of anything that could be useful. Allan didn’t know what Skeev’s species even was, he was the only one of his kind on Lamplight, likely the only one in this quadrant. The little furry alien was droning off a number of possible jobs that he thought might interest Allan.

'There's a bounty out for a trio of deadbeats who fled from Vaeal,' Skeev said, running his furry fingers across his tablet as he went through his notes. '20k GBC each dead or alive. Last known location the Tifrum Sector.’

'Wouldn't cover the coast of flying out there,' Allan said, feigning boredom. This was the same dance they always did. Skeev would list a bunch of small time payouts and Allan would progressively get more irritated.
'How about...the Trivanians are looking for freelance cargo transport.’

'And then get nickled and dimed over every little cost so you don't make a profit. No, we don't do work for the Corporations.' He figured that he’d given the alien enough time to play at time wasting. Allan leaned forward in his chair. 'Come on Skeev, have I ever stiffed you on a fee? I know this sector is chock full of deadbeats, but if you’re not gonna give me anything worth my time, I’m gonna have to move on.'

'Now Allan, I know you're always true to your word. You’re my best client.'

'Then why are you feeding me this garbage? What do you got that will be worth my time coming here?'

The little alien bared his teeth at Allan, his way of showing respect. 'How about that missing ore freighter, the one carrying all that Hemacite?' Skeev produced a small data capsule and held it up. 'Went missing on its journey to the Drovaktum. Vanished, no trace. Well I know this Skaif, does data acquisition for some of the regional powers, said one of his satellites picked up a partial data transmission, matched the missing freighter. Sent it along to me.'

'Is he reliable?'

'As reliable as I am. Long as he's getting paid. Stop paying him and this data will be common knowledge by the end of the day. He’s worth every credit though.'

'How much?' Allen asked, knowing the price would be steep. But so would the payout. Hemacite was particularly useful in space warping technology, and the Drovaktrum and Trivanians were buying it up quicker than it could be refined.

'A hundred twenty-eight thousand. And none of that Trivanion backed bullshit everyone's pushing for. Galactic Buyers Credits.'

Allan closed his eyes, contemplating. It was a huge sum, especially for a lead but Hemacite even in small quantities would pay all expenses for the Valkyrie and her crew for over a year. The freighters entire cargo would keep them flying for a long time. Hell they might even be able to take a short retirement period. They could actually have savings for the slower times. He considered negotiating lower, but he knew Skeev wouldn't ask more than it was worth unless he thought someone was a sucker, and Allan was anything but.

'Alright,' Allan said. '128k GBC is a deal.'

Skeev passed him the data capsule as Allan used his personal device to transfer the agreed upon amount. He pocketed it inside his jacket and left the shop. He made his way up to the central borough. The crowds were larger than the last time he'd been here. Lamplight was turning into a bustling market. It didn’t bode well for outlaws and scoundrels, especially with a number of powers trying to bring the station into line.
At the central borough he headed towards the largest club on the station, a loud and flashy place called Marrow's. He found most of the Valkyrie's crew here enjoying their time off the ship. He heard Amanda before he saw her. She was arguing loudly with a large alien, likely something to do with weaponry. Johnny was sitting next to her, nursing some kind of glowing green drink. Markov and Androkar were at a cards table, most of their money already lost. At a small table tucked into a corner he saw Sariah trying to sit in a chair that wasn't designed for her anatomy. She was watching the dancing going on near the front of the club, her ears twitching to the beat.

Allan didn't know much about Affey behavior but from the way her tail was swinging about he guessed she was enjoying herself. At the same table, across from Sariah, Barbara Bishop was slumped over face down. From the dozen bottles stacked up in front of her, it was obvious the XO was drunk.

Allan made his way over to the two ladies. He waved at Sariah as she noticed him approach. 'How did it go?' She asked, yelling over the noise.

'I got us some work.' He gestured inquisitively at the passed out XO.

'She is quite asleep,' Sariah answered. ‘She was downing Vulian Ale, and I don’t think her metabolism could process it.’

Allan flagged down a passing server droid and got himself a beer. 'Where's the terror?' he asked, realizing there were still some of the crew missing.

'Miss Campbell took her to the promenade to visit the shops. She thought this place unsuitable for someone of Lucy's age.'

Allan made a mental note to thank Melissa next time he saw her. He wasn't that surprised that no one else had thought to keep a twelve year old away from a dance club. He hadn’t either, but to be honest she would probably behave herself better than the rest of the crew.

‘I think I might go catch up to them?’ he told Sariah. ‘Care to tag along? I’m sure you’d enjoy yourself more there, than here.’

She agreed, and Allan quickly sent a message to the captain before they ducked out of the club. Sariah gave the bouncer a large tip to keep an eye on the passed out XO.

Captain Morrison read the message from the doctor. Allan had proven to be an incredible asset. They’d been on Lamplight for less than an hour and they already had work lined up. He didn’t need to know what it was yet, but he trusted the good doctor.

‘I have the recordings you requested,’ the shop droid informed the captain as he looked up from the communicator. ‘All news archives from within Terrestrial Space going back twelve months.’ There was a beep and whir and then a data capsule slid up from a dispenser in the counter. James slid his cred card and payed for the data.

He left the shop and his daughter, who had been waiting by the entrance, fell into step beside him. ‘What are you looking for in those?’ she asked.

‘Nothing particular,’ he answered, noticing the annoyed expression she gave, her brows furrowing into a sharp arch. ‘I’m more interested in what isn’t in here.’ They grabbed a hover cab, which headed off towards the station’s presidium levels.

‘Like what?’ she persisted, settling into the seat across from him. ‘Why are you so interested in Terran News when we can’t go back. I know you’re not homesick.’ She folded her arms across her chest, something her mother had also done when he’d irritated her.

He decided to be as truthful as he could be. ‘I don’t really know what I’m waiting to see in here. I used to pay attention to the news to see any names I recognized. Who had been captured, who’d taken the pardons and became a member of the NTO. Now I’m just hoping to see anything that’s true. All of this is propaganda, it’s all lies, but once in a while they let something slip. Maybe it’s trouble in the colonies, or one of their party members retires in seclusion (which always means they’ve been removed), any of this could be useful.’

‘You’re still fighting the war,’ she asked him incrediously. ‘We lost it, dad. The fights over.’

‘For me, yeah. And for you, but some of the rest are still fighting and I give them what aid I can. It’s the least I could do.’

He was saved a response by their cap arriving at the presidium. A glass dome covered the upper levels of the station, and the sky was dominated by the swirling mass of an orange gas giant, giving the streets a homely and calm feel. Here the shops were large and bright, selling the newest and best fashions, the finest quality items, and providing dining from every corner of the quadrant and beyond.
He had a destination, and so he walked briskly. His daughter followed, remaining silent. He hoped it was because she had given up, but he was sure she’d have more to say once they returned to the ship.
James had received a transmission from an old friend and they were meeting here. He had never expected to see the man out here on Lamplight, felt this hive of villainy might be offensive to such a man’s senses. That was obviously not the case, and James found himself amazed at his friend’s thirst for adventure. Or maybe he was just trying to get away from his home.

He arrived at their meeting spot, the best and most expensive lodging on the station. After announcing himself at the front desk, James was directed to the correct room.

A few mornings ago I was sitting in my living room of my palace on Kerianthe in Atlantinok when my friend, Dhi'rauta Halkrath, who is of the predator species, told me that one of the freighter shipments from the pred's home world that was on route to one of my worlds, Drovaktum, a heavily forested planet with hidden bases on it for research, went missing I told him to not worry about it and that I would take care of it right a way.... but he went on to say, "That shipment was carrying a lot of new weapon designs for ground troops under the code name Black Dawn." For which I responded with, "What!? I will get on it immediately my friend. I know someone who is execellant at finding these things. What system was it in?"
"I do not know Kleon. We lost contact with the crew about an hour ago and we last the tracking signal on it as well."
"Alright I will find it my friend. Don't worry." Dhi'rauta then left the room to head back to his ship. I then sat down pondering how it could have went missing for it didn't make sense. So a few days go by and I look to see where my friend James Morrison, Captain of the Valkyrie Reborn was. And it happened to have been on a space station by the name of Lamplight, a space station known for its commerce and trade, so I let my wife Saurinok that I would be out for a while and the empire was in her hands till I got back because she knew that if someone was of great importance I would put that first over everything else. So I headed out to my hanger to where my star fighter was. I got in my star fighter and powered it up and set course for lamplight. When I got to lamplight I requested permission to dock but the response I got was not of the usual sort. The voice came of the comms channel and said, "Ah Kleon good to hear you again. We still got your personal hanger and hotel room ready for you." I responded with, "Ah hello Hrevian. It has been a long time since I have heard your voice in a long time. Thanks for the heads up. If James Morrison is on his way to the hotel have him meet me in the dining hall."
" Will do my friend. You may proceed to land." So then I proceded to my personal hanger on the space station. Once I got there I headed straight to the dining hall for my meeting with James Morrison and a fancy hot meal only reserved for people of high authority. When James walked in I said, "Ah hello my friend long time no see. Come take a seat."

James smiled as Kleon greeted him. He moved over and took the emperor's hand in a firm shake. 'It's good to see you,' he said. 'Never thought I'd see you out here on Lamplight Station, what with its reputation for criminal activity.'

He looked at the food set on the table, the fragrant aromas making his mouth water, and took his seat. 'I guess we can eat. You've met my daughter, Catherine, of course. When was the last time you saw her? I think she was still a little one.'

"If I remember correctly the last time I saw your daughter was before I went to war over on mars to stop an invasion force that was coming in from the Andromeda galaxy. Very bloody war that was," I said with a relaxed tone on my voice. I then looked over to where the entrance to the dining hall was to see my wife walking to join us for supper. She was wearing her traditional blue stary night dress that she only wore on special nights or on diplomatic meetings. I said to her, Saurinok, honey, what are you doing here? I thought you were supposed to be on Kerianthe ruling in my stead while I was out?" She responded with a warm and happy tone, "Well I over heard from one of the comm channels you always listen to keep an eye on our trade and security, and I couldnt help but wonder how one of our most prize projects has a part go missing and also I wanted to get out for once. I havent had an adventure in a long time." She then looked over at James Morrison and said, "Ah Captain good to see you again. How are you doing?"

James tried not to show his bewilderment when Kleon's wife walked in and stood up and offered her his hand. He hoped everything was well at home with his friend. He always seemed to get along well with his wife, but James didn't really know her. Didn't matter he supposed. If his wife wanted to come along and Kleon had no objections he would defer to their judgement.

'The more the merrier,' James said pleasantly. 'I believe we should have some work lined up by now. My ship's doctor is the one with the contacts for work. Perhaps it won't be too far out of your way.'

James sat back down. 'Well let's not waste this perfectly good meal.' And he quickly took a bite, savoring the flavor. Starship fare sadly relied more on preserved foods and fresh supplies didn't last as long as one would hope.

'You still haven't really told me why you're here,' he said to Kleon after he'd had a couple more bites.

As I watched my wife sit next to me at the table I responded to James in a relaxed tone, "Well i had gotten a report that a research ship with some prized research on it had went missing near the Floratinean system... I was curious if you wanted to join me on trying to find this thing. I can help you on your mission in return if that is fine my friend?" As James was thinking on his answer my wife piped up saying, "James how did you meet my husband Eternith?"

"I can't remember the first time we met.' James said. "I was a lieutenant at the time. We weren't properly introduced until later when I was the liaison for the admiralty. Doing diplomatic work and being the face of the Terran republic." He took a couple bites and washed it down with some wine.

"I met a lot of people back then," he continued. "Your husband stood out as he was a leader who had experienced what it was like to be a soldier, so I found him easy to talk to. Plus I think the republic was hoping for an alliance and they went out of their way to make sure we met."

Just then he received a message on his communicator. He read it quickly. "I'm afraid I'm gonna have to cut this dinner short. Looks like there's an issue with the ships docking paperwork." He put his communicator away and after thanking them for their hospitality he left with his daughter. They would meet up again in the morning once the ship was ready to leave.

As James left the room I turned to my wife, who was sitting beside me with her hand in my cybernetic right hand, and I said, "Honey lets go get some sleep. We will need it for tomorrow. Plus with as late as it is getting we should head that way."
"Kleon, darling, you can head that way but i got some stuff I need to do first."
"Alright honey, I will see you in the morning then."
As I headed to bed, I started to think about how I had come to meet James those many years ago. He reminded me so much of my younger self. When I hit the bed, I went directly into a deep sleep. But that did not last long. As I slept, I felt as if I was drifting in space with very little oxygen in my spacesuit. As I turned around, I could see a wreckage of a huge ship in two halves with many bits of metal all around the area. I could also feel the heat still from the explostion that must have happened earlier. As i continued to move closer to the wreck, I thought I saw something moving near the mid section of the ship. As I got closer, there was a ton of bodies floating around, one of those bodies I recognized. It was my wife. This didnt feel right to me. As I grabbed her body and put her on my back, I heard a small grown from her, she sounded in pain. I wasnt going to stop until I got her and myself aboard the bow section of the ship. As I tried to get both of us into the ship all I felt was something portuding from behind me into my spine. It felt very hot and it burned badly, causing me to black out. As I woke from the dream, I found my wife layong silently beside me. As I got out of bed, I felt sweaty from head to toe. So after cleaning up I went and got dressed in my armor and headed out to the living room of my dormitory on the station. As I sat quietly reading a book that I had written a long time ago, a voice at the door asked if I was ready to be taken to James Morrison. I responded with a yes. As I got up from the couch to meet the guy who was standing outside my door, my wife walks up beside and nodes at me that she is ready to go even though to me she still looks tired from the night before. As we both headed out to the hanger where James and his crew where at, I saw my fighter and my wife's fighter being transfered aboard the Valkyrie Reborn. As we continued into the room I turned to James and wished him a good morning.

Back