Review implications of the "WA Accord on Campaign Spam" on self-governance

I'm very much opposed to adding a "point value" which allows a treaty to carry more weight than members' votes. The document should have no effect on the voting process.

I support the delegate's decision on this recent vote and hope this sets a precedent for the future.

Kondratev:
I'm very much opposed to adding a "point value" which allows a treaty to carry more weight than members' votes. The document should have no effect on the voting process.
If I've read it correctly, the point value would only come into play if regional votes are close. Same effect I suppose. The treaty can already carry more weight when it comes to so-called WA spam though (an arbitrary and subjective designation at best), as we've already seen. As long as this treaty is in effect (and no legally defined WA voting policy), there will be more instances of this down the road. We could also see more attempts to influence the largest WA vote by flooding the region with WA 'spam' in order to encourage the desired reaction (stomping or stacking). Of course, the signatories do apparently get to act on whatever they choose to. They do know what's best for us, after all. :eyeroll:

I think it is okay (perhaps ideal) for the delegate to weigh any given instance of WA campaigning on a few factors - who sent the TG, what their motive was, and so on - and make a decision about whether to invoke the Accord based on them. For example, for me personally, a TG campaign attempting to mislead people about a resolution would make me strongly inclined to vote the other way; a campaign by natives for or against a liberation resolution would make me inclined to vote in their favor or not change my opinion; an attempt by a resolution's opposition to sabotage them by sending spam in favor of the resolution would incline me in favor, and so on.

The overall goal of the Accord is to reduce spam, and what counts as spam is necessarily a bit of a judgement call. Blind application to all cases is as bad as never using it at all.

Back