[for debate] A minor tweak to our election laws.

Flemingovia

TNPer
-
-
I believe our current election has exposed a flaw in the way we do elections.

Our current law reads:

Section 4.3: Overall Election Law
9. Citizens shall be provided five days to declare their candidacy.
10. Voting will begin immediately after the candidacy declaration period has closed and last for five days.

When this was adopted we removed any campaigning period between nomination and voting.

Often this does not matter. But in this election a number of candidates declared their candidacy at the last minute, and by the time the campaign was underway many votes had already been cast. there was no time for debates, scrutiny, questions....

we have fixed terms and scheduled elections, so I see no need to allow five days for nominations. We know they are coming up, and can think about whether we are standing in advance.

I would propose the following:

9. Citizens shall be provided three days to declare their candidacy. Following the closure of candidacy declaration, four days shall be allowed for campaigning, during which no further candidate declarations shall be allowed.

10. Voting will begin immediately after the debating period has closed and last for five days.

What do you think?

Speaker's Note: I have added the present text of the proposal below.

The Campaigning period reintroduction act

Proposal: That the current wording in the Legal Code, viz:

10. Voting will begin immediately after the candidacy declaration period has closed and last for five days.

Shall be replaced with the following text:

9. Citizens shall be provided three days to declare their candidacy. Following the closure of candidacy declaration, four days shall be allowed for campaigning, during which no further candidate declarations shall be allowed.

10. Voting will begin immediately after the campaigning period has closed and last for five days.

Alternatively, 3 days for nominations, 4 days campaigning, 4 days voting. It'd shorten the voting time, but make the stages a bit more balanced. Or 3, 3, and 4, to keep the ten day schedule.

I can do a numbers check on how many people typically vote on the last day, to see how this might affect turnout.

SillyString:
Alternatively, 3 days for nominations, 4 days campaigning, 4 days voting. It'd shorten the voting time, but make the stages a bit more balanced. Or 3, 3, and 4, to keep the ten day schedule.

I can do a numbers check on how many people typically vote on the last day, to see how this might affect turnout.
yes, I think that is a better suggestion. The voting period is too damn long.

192e639b8a6ad20d7ebb035c90b4d3e2c4c121b3278f5096ca8f92a0d6146177.jpg

I took a quick look in our archives and gathered data from all our elections this past year. There were 13 of them in total; 3 judicial, 3 general, 6 special, and 1 run-off. Here is the data:

The average number of votes cast is 54.7, with a low of 27 (February 2015 Special Speaker Election) and a high of 90 (May 2015 General Election). Unsurprisingly, special elections, with an average of 46 votes, almost always receive fewer votes than both general and judicial elections, with respective averages of 72 and 47 votes.

The average number of votes cast during the last 24 hours is 4, with a low of 0 (July 2015 Judicial Election) and a high of 13 (May 2015 General Election). Excluding that outlier, all other elections have between 1 and 6 votes during the last 24 hours - except for a few cases, this is not counting votes edited within that time period.

Looking at these together, if we eliminated 5th-day voting and assumed that all citizens who would vote during the extra 24 hours would instead not vote[note]An excessively restrictive assumption, I think, since some people vote at the last minute but would do so regardless of the length of the voting period. I think it's best to examine this from a "most votes prevented" perspective to determine the most damage it could do, though, so that is what I am doing here.
[/note], we would lose an average of 7% of the votes that would otherwise be cast in any particular election. Again, the minimum here is 0% (July 2015 Judicial Election) and maximum is 14.4% (May 2015 General Election).

I also examined the decisiveness of these votes - that is, whether their casting affected the result of the election.

In exactly two cases, the late votes did affect the election results. These two are the May 2015 General Election, in the race for speaker, and the May 2015 Run-Off Election, also for speaker. The former was tied at 40-40 with 13 votes cast or edited[note]As I am not an admin, I cannot see the prior content of any particular edited post. It is thus impossible for me to determine if any individual edited post did indeed affect the result of the election. However, given that the vote was a tie, and given the high number of late-edited votes, I deem it highly likely that these late decisions did affect the result.

If an administrator wished to go through that thread and confirm my proposition, that would be an interesting project.
[/note], and it led into the latter, which ended at 35-37 with 5 votes cast or edited during the last 24 hours. In this case, a shortened voting period may have affected the results.

In 9 elections, late votes had zero effect on the results.[note]In the interest of full disclosure, I will admit that I did not carefully examine these elections to determine how many people edited their votes during the last 24 hours. The lead was strong enough for these, and my recollection of that being the case even early on, means that I am confident enough to say that late votes did not decide these elections despite not checking this data. Someone else is of course free to do so if they wish.
[/note] These elections were generally very lopsided, with a huge majority of the votes going to a particular candidate or candidates, and the number of late votes cast would not have changed the result even if they had all been for the runner-up candidate.

In two elections, the November 2015 Judicial Election and the March 2015 Judicial election, the number of votes or edited votes (6 and 4, respectively), could have been enough to change the results but did not do so in these instances. To explain with an example, in the former, the winner with the 3rd most votes had five more than the runner up, with the fourth most. 6 late votes could have been enough to put the 3rd placer above the runner up, but in this case, the 3rd place candidate was not in all of them and subtracting all six would not have put the runner up in 3rd. Similarly, in the latter, the 4 late or late-edited votes would have been enough to let the 4th placer overcome the 3rd placer, with a separation of only 2 votes, but in this case were not cast such that that was true.[note]I hope this makes sense and I'm explaining it okay. I can try again if it's confusing.[/note]

The conclusion that I draw from this is that, at its worst, shortening the voting period may affect the results of competitive elections and will almost certainly affect the results of highly competitive ones. However, in highly competitive elections like the one for speaker last May, anything could affect the results - lengthening the voting period would almost certainly have changed the outcome, but we are not advocating for giving people more time. Additionally, this is the worst-case scenario; I think in actuality the results would be less noticeable, as most people (if you can describe anything less than 5 as "most") who would have voted during the last 24 hours would instead vote earlier.

I like your idea, Flem. Here's something I would like to float to see what you and others think.

How about we move the campaign phase to before the nominations. It could go something like this:

Pre-Nomination Campaign Period - potential candidates start their 'campaign' two weeks before nominations/declarations. No restrictions on the actual period of time because people can and have actually done this before they are actually nominated or delared.

This would allow potential candidates to state their positions/platforms/etc., to help them determine if they are viable candidates.

Nomination Period - Five days to formally declare their candidacies, continued campaigning permitted during this time.

Campaign Period - Five Days of formal campaigning. Perhaps even more.

This gives people time to suss out any last minute candidates.

Election Period - Five days for voting, during which time no campaigning by the actual candidates is permitted (discussions by voters who are not candidates may continue in campaign threads or elsewhere). This is similar to 'anti-electioneering' laws in RL (for those not in the US, "electioneering" is essentially standing in front of a polling place hawking votes for a candidate.

Now, for concerns expressed by Flem:

Often this does not matter. But in this election a number of candidates declared their candidacy at the last minute, and by the time the campaign was underway many votes had already been cast. there was no time for debates, scrutiny, questions....

I absolutely agree. The idea I am floating gives a longer period of time in which campaigning is to occur with sufficient time to cause last minute candidates to actually present enough ideas for people to hopefully make an informed decision.

With the Pre-Campaign period (formal or otherwise) there can be ongoing debates, etc.,,, conducted without any real time constraint.

Of course, it would turn everything into a potential constant campaign that goes on non-stop between elections, but at least it would be more interesting and possibly get people to pay more attention to what is going on.

Good suggestion, Flem. And thank you, SS, for your analysis of voting behavior.

How about 3-4-5? Candidates who declare early will have a full week to campaign before the voting begins. I like the 5 days for voting. Shortening it could lead to voting periods which occur entirely during the weekdays. It's nice to have some time available between Friday night and Sunday when the polls are open.

Great Bights Mum:
Good suggestion, Flem. And thank you, SS, for your analysis of voting behavior.

How about 3-4-5? Candidates who declare early will have a full week to campaign before the voting begins. I like the 5 days for voting. Shortening it could lead to voting periods which occur entirely during the weekdays. It's nice to have some time available between Friday night and Sunday when the polls are open.

:agree:

Romanoffia:
How about we move the campaign phase to before the nominations. It could go something like this:

Pre-Nomination Campaign Period ....
I am not sure this needs to be enshrined in law. At the moment there is nothing stopping people beginning to campaign before the nomination period. In fact, in the past several people have done so, formally or informally.

GBM:
How about 3-4-5? Candidates who declare early will have a full week to campaign before the voting begins. I like the 5 days for voting.

I am not entirely convinced that five days is needed for voting. What do others feel? I am trying to keep the whole election cycle as short as we can. I remember the days in TNP when elections seemed to go on forever.

I agree that we should reimplement a campaign period; it would be useful and make it more likely everyone's campaigns would get the attention they deserve.

I feel neutrally about either 3-4-4 or 3-4-5. On the one hand, I would hate for elections to feel drawn out, but on the other, five days gives more time for everyone to vote and in general I like more votes being cast than fewer.

I don't think the voting period or nominations period are too long, but I like the idea of an extra, "official" campaigning period. I would prefer a 4-2-4 schedule. That would slightly cut down on the voting period, give us time to "suss out" last minute declarers, and keep the whole "official" election at 10 days.

The Democratic Republic of Tomb:
I like a 3-4-5 voting system, personally.
yes, I think i agree with tomb here. We do not need long for nominations, since elections happen on a timetable. But I think four days of campaigning would give time for, eg, the organisation of debates between candidates.

I think a 3-4-5 election period is the way to go as well. You can go shorter with the voting period and still get high turnout -- as an example, pretty sure Europeia's voting period is only 24 hours, but they usually get pretty good turnout -- but things usually move a bit slower in Feeders and Sinkers, and people are accustomed to that.

It's been quite a while since I've been here, so from my past experience here I find it almost bizarre that the campaign period was scrapped. Could someone remind us why it was eliminated?

Dalimbar:
It's been quite a while since I've been here, so from my past experience here I find it almost bizarre that the campaign period was scrapped. Could someone remind us why it was eliminated?
Temporary insanity.

We can debate the minutiae of voting periods for ever. It seems more sensible to me to propose on, and give it a try - if the voting period is too long, or the campaign period proves to be too short I will happily support an amendment.

So I formally propose the following:

The Campaigning period reintroduction act

Proposal: That the current wording in the Legal Code, viz:

Shall be replaced with the following text:

10. Voting will begin immediately after the campaigning period has closed and last for five days.

I so move.

Also there's an extra line space in there between 9 and 10! :P

Other than that and Elu's comment, this looks good and I'm happy to support it.

The motion is noted. The Bill is now in formal debate, which will end in five days at which time a vote will be scheduled. I would remind members that seconds are not necessary for legislative proposals.

EDIT: I should note, I have also edited the opening post to include the text of the present version of the proposal. The opening post should be amended when changes are made by the sponsor of the Bill, in order the version of the proposal under discussion is be more clear to members (and the Speaker's Office).

Balancing all factors, including the overall length of the election, the in-practice lack of usage of campaigning periods, the fact that a nine-day post-nominations period is exceedingly long, and that nominations often come early enough for scrutiny during the nominations period, I believe the current system is superior to the one proposed.

This is not to say it can't be improved - on the balance, I'm not satisfied by any means that this is an improvement.

The proposal lengthens the election cycle by only 2 days. No nine-day period is introduced.

The current system is 5 days for nomination, 0 days for campaigning, and 5 days for voting.

The proposed system is 3 days for nomination, 4 days for campaigning, and 5 days for voting.

There is, in total, a 9-day period after nominations until the conclusion of the election. In my experience, that is too long.

The reason I'm opposing this proposal is, basically, because I don't think it's a good idea to increase our election cycle by two days for this. I think 4 days campaigning, when followed by a 5-day voting period, is unwarranted, and there is no actual need for such a long period.

We'd just sit around looking at each other for most of it, imo.

I think that when we have had debates, they have been an excellent thing for our elections, and that they are far more possible when there is a period of time between nominations and voting than otherwise.

Back