Request for Review: Suppression of speech

I hereby request that the Court review the following action by a government official, specifically the continued suppression of my regional message board posts by Delegate Eluvatar:
I believe that the above actions have violated the following portion of the Bill of Rights:
2. Each Nation's rights to free speech, free press, and the free expression of religion shall not be infringed, and shall be encouraged, by the governmental authorities of the region. Each Nation has the right to assemble, and to petition the governmental authorities of the region, including the WA Delegate, for the redress of grievances. The governmental authorities of the region shall act only in the best interests of the Region, as permitted and limited under the Constitution.
I believe that it has violated the Bill of Rights in the following way: Suppression of my posts on the regional message board is a clear violation of my right to free speech.

There are guidelines regarding spamming that are outlined in the legal code as follows:
Section 1.4:
16. "Spamming" is defined as any action by non-region nationals to waste space or cause shock on any off-site property or regional message board to make it unusable.
17. Spamming includes any attempts to force a DOS error on forums and any attempts to flood the RMB of a region which is not that nation's normal abode.
As I am not a "non-region national", it is clear from the legal code that the Delegate does not have the legally granted power to curtail my speech on the regional message board for the reason of spamming.

This action by a Delegate Eluvatar has specifically violated my freedom of speech as guaranteed by the Bill of Rights
It has violated my freedom in the following way: I should be able to express myself freely on the regional message board and suppression of my posts based on a legally unsupported convention is infringing on my rights.

I thank the Court for their time and hope for a speedy resolution.

Apologies for this, but I would like to ask if the chief justice might be willing to extend the briefing period a little while longer. There is a rather important matter that will likely be affected by their ruling that I would like to submit a statement on.

The period for submitting briefs is extended for one day. The Court will not, in the future, continue doing this. Five days is quite a while to submit briefs.

Thank you very much, your Honor, and I do apologize again for not thinking of this sooner. My brief is as follows:

In this case, the Court must decide whether the suppression of DD's posts are a violation of his right to free speech - whether suppression is or can be a violation, whether the posts in question merited suppression in this case, and possibly whether this or any delegate can be prosecuted for making such judgment calls on the fly. More than this, though, the Court has the power to decide (and may, by its wording, do so whether or not it intends such) what constitutes protected speech and what measures, reasonable or otherwise, the Delegate may or may not take on the RMB at all. Given this, any decisions made in this arena could have broad-ranging implications on the state of the region as a whole.

I would, therefore, like to raise the following points for consideration during the Court's deliberations:

The TNP forum has seven or eight administrators (I am unsure what FEC's status is at this point) and a handful of lesser moderators who can oversee individual or a small selection of forums. They are both highly responsive and highly accessible, and have a number of methods of addressing misbehavior (perceived or actual). In contrast, gameside has the game mods, who are usually somewhat responsive but not terribly accessible, and it has the delegate. The delegate is the first point of contact when there is spam (adspam or otherwise), flaming, or other unpleasant behavior. I urge the court to keep this in mind so that its decision does not hamstring the delegate's ability to act quickly.

Second, what constitutes spam, or flaming, or other prohibited messages on the RMB, is definitely a subjective question. I can think of more than one highly charged flare-up recently that had several people clamoring for the offender to be banned, while others judged that the situation did not merit such a forceful end. Additionally, it is not easy or simple to answer whether or not someone posting the same word fifty times in one post, or posting "M" so many times it breaks the page, or constantly posting links to memes is spam, and with context added in (do people appreciate the posts? Were they relevant in conversation? Does the poster have a pattern of spamming or is this a first offense? etc) it becomes even harder to draw a clear line. Therefore, I also urge the court not to adopt heavy-handed definitions or bright-line distinctions that strip the delegate of flexibility in determining what merits a response and what does not.

Third, I would like to bring up the matters of unprotected speech. At this time, the Legal Code allows the Delegate to immediately ban any nation posting recruitment messages on the RMB, as well as any nation who violates an NS rule, at their discretion. But whether or not the NS rule on hate speech, or defamation, or offensive content, or so on, has been violated, it must be very clear to anyone who follows RMB discussions that some kinds of content are just as rude and disruptive as recruitment spam is, with the additional factor of being unkind and inflammatory. Given this, I finally urge the court to keep in mind the underlying logic of the existing laws regarding banning, and to account for practices that best serve the regional community as much as possible.

Thank you for your time, and thank you again for this extension.

court-seal.png

Ruling of the Court of the North Pacific
In regards to the Request for Review filed by Democratic Donkeys on the Conduct of Delegate Eluvatar

Opinion drafted by Justice Flemingovia and approved by chief Justice Plemboria. Justice Punk Daddy was involved in early discussions about the general thrust of the ruling, but was AFK for the specific drafting.

Nationstates is a game with rules. Some of those are the game rules, some of them are the rules of the various hosting sites etc that we play the game on, and some of them are house rules that we invent ourselves to make the game more fun: kinda like receiving £400 instead of £200 when landing precisely on GO in Monopoly.

We call some of these house rules “laws” and have courts to arbitrate them. There are two reasons for this. The first is that this is a political/legal sim, and roleplaying Perry Mason is part of the fun of it all, and the other reason is because we are pretty sad individuals who have little actual power in real life, and the online fantasy of importance compensates slightly for our impotence in real life.

In this case, it is clear from testimony and reading the suppressed posts in context that technically Eluvatar abridged DD’s right to free speech. It is also clear that this was in the context of banter back and forth, playing the game, shooting the breeze etc.

What bewilders us is quite why the courts were asked to get involved. I mean, I know we are sad individuals living in our parents’ basement who badly need to get laid but instead play NS obsessively, but surely some things are just too trivial even for us?

There was no harm; there was no foul. Now excuse us, we have to go back and polish our medals. Y’all can carry on pontificating about this if you wish, but if you do so please detach a little bit of your mind to listen to yourself as you type, and despair.

In this case, it is clear from testimony and reading the suppressed posts in context that technically Eluvatar abridged DD’s right to free speech.
Technically, that is all that should matter in an issue of unconstitutional action by a government official that is being reviewed by the Court. The remainder of the ruling, which is irrelevant contextualizing and extraneous analogy, is exactly what I would expect from this particular governmental institution. Your breezy dismissal of unconstitutional action by our highest office is disturbing to say the least. Personally, I smell a strong whiff of bias in the way this was handled, beginning with being laughed at by the Chief Justice that accepted this review. I will certainly be considering further action to ascertain whether my request was met with the impartiality that is also guaranteed to me by the same enshrined laws that the Court has seen fit to disparagingly compare to a board game.

I thought a certain standard of decorum was to be maintained in official threads like these? I cannot fathom why the above post is appropriate, useful, or relevant to the subject of this thread.

Democratic Donkeys:
I thought a certain standard of decorum was to be maintained in official threads like these? I cannot fathom why the above post is appropriate, useful, or relevant to the subject of this thread.
While I agree with you, and believe the presentation of the decision from the Court to be an insult to the region as a whole, I can't honestly tell if you are taking the piss or what over this. And I believe that is what some others feel as well.

You have been dismissive towards actions you disagree with from the Court in the past. You have also laughed at the Justices and posted random off-topic comments in ongoing review threads.

You have every right to do those things but I personally believe the manner in which the Court is addressing you is (at least partially) in response to how you have treated the Court historically.

I do not agree with that mentality, but it seems to be what has occurred here.

Back