New Global mods sought

Flemingovia

TNPer
-
-
We are considering expanding the team of Global Forum Moderators. Global mods have extended powers of moderation over all the forum, access to most areas and are involved in discussions on warnings and forum bans.

If you are interested in joining the team of Global Mods, please apply in this thread letting us know whether you are currently moderator or Administrator of any other forums, what experience you have gained from those roles, and what other experience, qualities or skills you might bring to the moderation team. Please note that coding and suchlike are not normally part of a Global Moderator's duties.

I'm interested. But I won't just say that. That wouldn't get this post anywhere.

Currently, I'm a moderator of the NPTO subforum, so I know pretty much the jist of what a global moderator needs to do. I've also applied for global mod position on the forum of The Northern Alliance. I've been here since October and know the jist of TNP etiquette. I'm also active every day, so activity shouldn't be a problem for me.

Any questions, feel free to ask.

*President Griffin raises hand

I administrated The Coalition of Democratic Nations forum, and am a moderator of Lazarus' Citizens' Square. Happy to help out anytime :)

I'd like to apply for the position of Global Moderator.

I am a current senior administrator on The New Galactic Empire's forum and have been since mid to late 2013, a former Global Mod and (former) administrator of the Osiris Fraternal Order forum (with having been a Moderator on the old forum for a year and a half). I am a former Global Moderator of The South Pacific's forum (when Hileville was board owner under IP.Board). I am also the root administrator and owner of the Kingdom of Alexandria's forum (a vBulletin).

I am also an administrator on Osiris' old board, added by Todd to handle and oversee archiving and history alongside Asta.

My duties on TNGE's board are minimal; I serve primarily as an overseer on the current board. On the IPBoard they used before, a Senior Administrator was one who had access to the backe-nd of the server via ftp/ssh, and greater access to the admin control panel: access/moderation logs, advanced permission setting abilities (i.e. restricting the abilities of lesser admins and gmods etc).

In The South Pacific, I was appointed as a Global Moderator by Hileville but was not retained when the board changed ownership and moved to myBB. I was an admin of the Osiris (new) board for a brief period before I left Osiris in May 2014.

Outside of NationStates, I served as Forum Moderator for Travian Games India, 2010-11. I was also Moderator, Global Mod and later Forum Administrator on the now closed Travian Games Pakistan forum between 2010-2012. Currently and since November 2013, I have served as a Game Moderator for Travian Games United States. I have been part of a team overseeing three specific servers on the .US Domain and I am currently active primarily on one (I can't disclose these publicly).

I've worked in various environments - some political, listed above and some not so political. I'm well versed in forum moderation policies, and I'm a fair and normally impartial moderator. I have plenty of experience in moderating conflicts of interest as well as separating board and politics - lessons which have been hard learned over the last 8 years.

I have experience with moderating boards, of various sizes. One of the boards I worked on for Travian now has a similar number of posts to The North Pacific, in the 300k range. The forum for the on-site community I currently work on has eight times that in terms of posts, so I'm not unfamiliar with the needs and demands of large communities. There is always something unique about each community which is refreshing, and part of what makes such roles in the community rewarding and enjoyable experiences.

I think it is far to say that the atmosphere on this forum is a lot more relaxed than it was when I worked on Travian's boards, which were governed by rather strict rules and required a firm hand in order to oversee. I am used to working in generally strict and challenging environments, but generally enjoy a change of pace in calmer environments - such as this board. It's worth noting that in all cases of working for Travian, past and present I had access to personal information - including email addresses, IP addresses and other information; and I have signed a Non-Disclosure Agreement regarding my access to such information. (First signed in 2012, re-signed in 2011, and re-signed in 2013, if I remember correctly.)

In terms of NS, in the time since 2008, I have had one "unofficial" warning from Sedge in July 2013 because I got a tad borderline when dealing with Douria and Gatesville during the coup in Osiris on the NS forums. Beyond that, my record is clear. Although I did accidentally forget to tag two recruitment telegrams for my UCR a week ago and self reported, as well as ran to Mouse for help. Nothing happened, and I'm still here to tell the tale.

I'd be happy to answer questions about my strengths and weaknesses, or more focused questions rather than write a larger essay than I already have.

I'd like to apply for the position of Global Moderator. I've been a moderator here mostly as a government official moderator, but during my time in those positions, I have become accustomed to Moderation HQ and how the moderation team works together as a, well, team. I also was recently appointed as an RP Mod, where I have learned that no matter who the person is (even if they are a friend), sometimes you have to draw a line on what is acceptable and what is not.

In the later part of June, RPI and I founded an UCR, The Northern Alliance. In his absence, I have taken the lead of the administration team (as a fellow root admin) and now understand the hard work and dedication that TNP administrators have and our forum is a lot smaller and less crowded than TNP. I will assure the admin team that I can handle both positions thanks to my wonderful TNA admin team.

I've been on the forum actively since October 2013, along with some others due to diplomatic service, and am proud to say that I've never been cautioned or warned by any administration team across the entirety of NS. While in the past I've had my activity lessened in government positions due to my stupid computer having hard drive issues every time I take a major office (minor hard drive failure in the office of Speaker and full hard drive failure in the office of Minister of Communications), I would like to say that (at last) that computer died and I got a brand new laptop that is brand-new out of the box, and I know that it will hold for years to come.

Finally, I'm a hard worker. I do enjoy helping others, both in NS and RL. I have already subscribed to the Mod Requests thread as a member of the Cabinet, and tried to help as many requests as I could. I did, however, feel as though with many of those requests, I was overstepping my place, as I was not a true Mod, just a government Mod.

Thanks for the consideration, and I hope to hear from you soon.

~Boots

I am motivated to apply to become a global moderator out of devotion to the TNP community and an earnest desire to participate in making this forum a safe, welcoming, and healthy environment for all users.

I have over two years of cumulative experience as a moderator on this forum, in one capacity or another. During those times, I have been an active contributor to moderation discussions, including incidents that were not related to my government responsibilities. Through this experience, I have become familiar with our moderation and warning system, and have developed a thorough grasp of what is considered acceptable and unacceptable behavior in our community.

Because it is requested, I will note that I have been an administrator on The Black Hawks forum for several years, but I do not consider that experience relevant to this application, because TBH has a very different moderation system, with very different goals than we have here.

I wish to make it clear that I have a TNP gameplay persona in NationStates, and that I consider my participation in the TNP government to be in-character. Actions I've taken as speaker, as a member of the Regional Assembly, as Justice, etc are all in-character actions that are informed by the qualities of my TNP gameplay persona of Crushing Our Enemies/General COE. General COE is committed to democracy, favorable towards raiding, and has a specific vision of how he thinks TNP ought to be that he endeavors to make reality. I would like to draw a distinction between this and my actions or posts in moderator HQ, which are all out of character, and motivated solely out of a desire by me, Paul, to do my part in ensuring that this forum is a nice place to spend some time on the internet. If selected to be a global mod, I would naturally continue this approach to moderation.

I would like to be considered.

I have been an active moderator/administrator on NS related forums for over 12 years. Among the forums I have administrated have been Sparrow (which had 221 members), the Alliance Defense Network (a few hundred members), the Meritocracy (a few hundred members), versions of TWP, TSP, and TNP (each with many members). I currently administrate the forum for TP.

Outside of NS, I have been a moderator for Astro Empires, which had about 10k members when I was involved, an administrator for Cyber Nations, which had 20k-30k members when I ran the forum and game, a Game Operator and Global Moderator for Supremacy 1914, which maintains a couple 100k members.

I have been able to competently separate my OOC duties as a moderator with IC activities.

I am open to answering any questions.

Questions for the applicants:

Would you issue a warning for the following comment? Why or why not?

"You're such a whore. I wish you were dead!"

punk d:

I would generally seek the context of that statement - whether there was a disagreement or argument which could be responsible for the inflamed emotions. I'd also want to discuss with the other Gmods and the Admins about their views on this as well as look at the warn history (if any) of the player in question.

If they have a history of this sort of behaviour, then yes, a warning with post moderation applied for a short time to give them a chance to cool their temper. If not, then the possibility of a "verbal"/written warning and reminder to be civil to others would be the preferable way to go. I'd be more inclined to give a warning for the next offence of its kind following a "verbal"/written warning following discussion with the other Mods and with the Admins.

While the moderation team does meet and discuss before giving a warning, I would push highly for a warning for the scenario post. One of the deciding factors of my decision was the word "whore". The North Pacific has a gender of ratio that favors men over women, which for some reason leads people to assume they can use words like "slut" and "whore", and get away with it, and I believe that that is offensive and downright disgusting. We have many distinguished members of the government and admin team, and I believe that is very offensive. I also believe that the end is just a second blow to follow through with the first comment, and could really affect the person if they are a girl struggling with depression, and that would not sit well with me.

Ooh, ooh! Pick me! :w00t:

When it comes to other forums, I do not actively moderate or administrate any at this point. I was an admin of the old CDA board (Central Defense Army, I think, which Gaspo and I founded in early 2006 or so), now defunct. I am an admin of the Astarialn Empire forum, previously home to Warzone Europe's government, now inactive (WZE moved to Equilism's forum). I am an admin of the old Osiris (KRO) forum, as Raven mentioned, for records and archival purposes, and was temporarily root admin of the replacement Osiris forum when it had a forum destruction scare. I have been offered admin powers in LWU in order to help restore their forum after a DOS deleted everything, which I never got around to accepting. And of course, I was root admin of the SovCon forum, now defunct.

I have had various moderation powers on several forums as well - Equilism, ADN, probably Nasicournia. Most notably, I've had moderator privileges in TNP for the entirety of my tenure here, excepting the month and a half "vacation" between my service on the court and assuming the vice delegacy. I suppose you could also count as mod/admin powers my tenures as delegate of TNP, during which I have gleefully enforced my tyrannic rule on the RMB. ^_^

My time helping moderate TNP has been the most instructive, at least until recently, as moderators were involved in discussions about warnings and bans. Most other forums restrict that to admins only, in my experience, and I have been disappointed to see TNP move (quietly, without ever announcing a change) to that model. Not only did it bring a diversity of viewpoint to the discussions, leading to a more representative decision, it also provided valuable hands-on training to new moderators in how to read, discuss, and judge fairly and without bias and without abusing power (as well as, in some cases, exposure to what biased and unfair judgments look like), and just as importantly, methods of calmly coming to a consensus. I thought it was a great training program for the newer generation of players, and I'm sad that it's been discontinued.

What can I bring to the team? Well, aside from knowing my way around the actual duties (splitting, merging, renaming, moving, closing, pinning, etc), I tend to have strong opinions and argue them. As I said, I think diversity in viewpoint is a key way to get fair and impartial rulings on moderation issues, and judging from how frequently I've disagreed with most of the admin team on various issues (though almost never all at once), I think it's safe to say that I can add to that diversity.

I've also spoken up in favor of important issues, including flexibility and discretion in warning penalties and administrator accountability for poor behavior, and if I am selected as a global mod I will continue to urge accountability, transparency, and adaptability. I think it's critically important for the relationship between forum administration and forum users that admins and mods hold themselves to a high standard of behavior - and I have always striven to hold myself to that higher standard as well, both as a moderator and as a government official.

I shall call you next week to schedule an in-person interview. :P

punk d:

Yes, I would warn such a comment without hesitation. Not only is it a direct personal attack on another member, which we don't permit in general, it's also explicitly gendered and geared to demean and denigrate women and girls. It's shaming and it's cruel, and it has no place here.

Once I had issued a warning, I would immediately open discussion in the moderation discussion area about whether a single warning was sufficient, and I would argue strongly against anybody suggesting that it didn't merit a warning at all.

I will note that the key piece to my reaction is one specific word: "whore". If the person used a different term (like "jackass", or "shithead", or "fucking loser" [though that last one is pushing it]), or omitted the first sentence entirely, I would still be 100% in favor of at least one bump in warning level but would feel more comfortable waiting for the admins and mods to reach consensus - though I might PM the poster with an informal caution, to keep things from escalating further and to make sure they know that that's not acceptable conduct. But the shift from "mere" attacking to outright shaming and slurring, for me, would merit a more immediate reaction.

Edit: The exception to this would be if the comment occurred in a context that was not, in fact, directed toward another member. In an RP, for example, one character talking to another character, I would find it discomfitting but not warn-worthy. Or reporting what someone else said to them, similarly, certainly cringe-worthy but not wildly inappropriate to say.

punk d:

"You're such a [bgcolor=#000]whore[/bgcolor]. I wish you were dead!"
I would most certainly warn someone for that comment. I've seen the kinds of stuff people get warned for nowadays and it's bad already. This blows everything I've seen OUTTA THE WATER. It's extraordinarily rude, and an assault against someone in IRL terms. Such a comment is blatantly unacceptable. Especially with the profanity, specifically that word; which in itself is one of the most profane swears in the book, as it is a sexist term. Even if the person they were attacking was doing something rather bad, I would take that person's case as another case entirely. Just the comment alone, even if it was aimed at someone doing something bad, or maybe if the two had a history, is enough for a warn. If one of my friends said that IRL to me, I'd probably end the friendship right there.

All in all, comments like that do not belong here, EVER, and a quick warning would really make that guy think about what he did.

punk d:

Moderation requires a case-by-case approach to be effective, and many factors must be taken into account. In nearly all contexts, I would warn the poster of this remark. Here are the factors I would consider:

Vulgarity - the word "whore" is vulgar and sexist. It is inappropriate in most contexts, but not always editable or warnable by itself.

Target - If this is being directed at another user in earnest, it is not only inappropriate, it can cause hurt feelings and a sense that one is unwelcome or unsafe. That is intolerable, and should be warned and hidden. If it was directed at another user in a joking context (though this is difficult to imagine) I would still be in favor of warning, but would bring it up with the rest of the team first. Action would need to be taken urgently however, because allowing comments like this to stand can still make users feel unsafe or unwelcome, even if the target understands that it was not meant seriously. In a purely RP context, where one character is saying it to another character, I think the RP would need to be watched, but a warning might not be warranted. If the target is a character that is controlled by another user, it gets stickier, because it may have been planned ahead of time, or be generally expected given the rules and context of the RP. If it came out of nowhere, and a user is clearly using the RP to flame another user, it would still be warnable.

Warning History - Even if the user who said it had a clean warning history AND it was very unlike them to say something like this AND it was apparent that other users were putting them under a lot of stress or anxiety, this would probably still be warnable. I would bring it to the team for discussion first, and it may be that hiding the post and issuing a caution would be sufficient. However, for a comment this inflammatory, I would still push for a warning.

Aggressiveness - "I wish you were dead" is an aggressive comment and not conducive to a healthy community. It falls short of being a threat (for which I would support more drastic measures than just a warning, depending on the warning history), but it still wildly inappropriate and, in nearly all cases, is actionable.

punk d:

It would depend on the context.

If it was stated within the context of an ongoing RP where there was a fight between players (regardless of gender) and the dialogue allowed for such a response, I would not see a need for a warning, as the terminology is not overly vulgar or aggressive in such a context. Personal opinions on the tastefulness of such an exchange notwithstanding.

If it was a reply outside of the contents of such a scripted dialogue then it could very well be overly vulgar and/or aggressive and warrant a warning.

While I agree with SillyString that in RL the word 'whore' traditionally has a negative connotation directed towards women, that does not necessarily make it so within the context of the online community, where gender is only defined by what the player wishes to convey to the community as a whole and could be false information from the onset. The term has also taken on connotations outside of sexual promiscuity in recent years, used with terms like media and attention, as well as random concepts like food and television. It is a term that (unfortunately IMO) has gained ground in the common vernacular to refer to anyone that partakes in nearly anything with abandon. But, that is a digression of the main point.

I have a question for the applicants. Suppose a situation arises in which there is a certain member who seems to annoy everyone. What would you do?

Great Bights Mum:
I have a question for the applicants. Suppose a situation arises in which there is a certain member who seems to annoy everyone. What would you do?
That would depend on how they annoy everyone. Are they deliberately malicious? Unnecessarily and deliberately crude? Are they actually harming the morale of other users and negatively affecting the community? If they are being malicious, and deliberately setting out to upset people, then that would need to be dealt with as appropriate following a discussion of the team.

However, if it's not malicious, or could be a case of where the user in question may not realise that their behaviour is disruptive then there could be a different route taken which could avoid further conflict if done right:

I think the key word in your questions is "seems". Some players genuinely do not realise that their behaviour is unconstructive or disruptive; and for many possible reasons they don't see why people may get irritated or abrupt with them. Were the case, then a possible route of remedy would be to message the user in question to talk about what concerns there are; but to be as constructive and as friendly as possible to try and help the user where we can to understand why certain behaviour may be disruptive or inspire certain reactions. Granted, if that doesn't appear to work then a discussion needs to be had with the Team to discuss what options are available.

Great Bights Mum:
I would watch his behavior, and, depending on the type of annoyance he is to the surrounding people, act based on that.

If it was not deliberate I'd kindly ask him to stop and show him why he is annoying everyone, again, kindly.

However, if it is deliberate, malicious, and/or excessively repititive, I'd first bring up the post to the other mods and/or the admins, for reaction's sake, see what I need to do, and then act accordingly. If I do not get much of a reaction and/or suggestion, I'd probably warn him.

I would also welcome reports from the people he is annoying so we hear it straight from the victims' mouths. This would help my/our decision tremendously.

It really depends on the type of user and the context of their annoyance. Are they a new user and just wants to get involved but doesn't know how to do it right, or is it a user that has a history of being malicious and is getting out of hand? I'd definitely try to talk personally with them and tell them that they should reconsider their choices and treat the other members how they'd like to be treated. If they don't listen, and choose to continue with their annoyance, I will bring it to the rest of the mod team and we would discuss the appropriate action.

A very important question that the admin will need to take into consideration.

Time.

Do you have the time to be a fully engaged Global Mod here. Do you have in-game or other commitments currently (whether at these forums, other places, or in real life) that would impair your ability to devote to these duties?

Keep in mind that Global Mods have to help patrol the forums, and archive and prune threads so what the user sees is reasonably current, and the archived material is in the right place.

Please be honest about other time commitments. It does no good, if a Global Mod has the title and can't do the work.

Thank you for your question, Grosseschnauzer. (and Punk d and GBM, since I didn't thank you guys when I originally answered your questions) I do feel as though I am prepared properly with a time commitment, and I feel really bad that my vacation week landed right in the middle of the application and decision phase. Though I have not publicly announced it, if I do get the position, I will be leaving the political side of The North Pacific when the next term and election roll around in September in order to focus more on my position as a Global Moderator. Though it has been a dream of mine to be Delegate of The North Pacific, I do not believe I could handle two very strenuous jobs in addition to RL. As previously stated, I am a forum admin for a teeny UCR's forum, which I don't believe will grow out of the reach of our small admin team. I may have to cut back on RP and some other forum activities that are "extra" things I do as a citizen. Of course, that all depends on how I adjust to the position, and will assure the team that I will be prepared for doing what it takes time-wise.

Great Bights Mum:
I don't think how annoying someone is would effect my moderation decisions or recommendations to the team. Annoyance is not against the rules, and just because someone rubs people the wrong way doesn't mean they require moderator intervention. Nonetheless, that doesn't mean that moderators cannot take steps to promote the harmony of the community - punishment and inaction are not the only options available.

If it's their personality that people don't like, there's not much to be done. People are who they are, and it would be insulting to ask them to change that to accommodate some people on the internet. If it's their behavior that is annoying, it's another ballgame entirely. If it can be explained to them that certain things they do tend to upset other people, and be convinced that it's better for everyone if they avoid those behaviors (e.g. stop typing in large font, calling everyone "bro", etc) then the situation might improve.

Grosseschnauzer:

Time.

Do you have the time to be a fully engaged Global Mod here. Do you have in-game or other commitments currently (whether at these forums, other places, or in real life) that would impair your ability to devote to these duties?

Keep in mind that Global Mods have to help patrol the forums, and archive and prune threads so what the user sees is reasonably current, and the archived material is in the right place.

Please be honest about other time commitments. It does no good, if a Global Mod has the title and can't do the work.
My only major time commitment in NationStates right now is TNP. I am running for speaker, and if I win I will probably be spending a fair chunk of time managing those responsibilities. However, given that such time would be spent on the TNP forum, it would be easy to roll GM duties into the mix.

I'll admit I'm spending less time on the computer than I used to, and more time at work or with family and friends. At minimum, however, even when I have no other TNP obligations, I can guarantee sufficient availability to perform necessary global mod duties.

Grosseschnauzer:

Time.

My in-game commitments, rest at zero. I am not a delegate, or gameplayer; my WA sits in TNP. My UCR, has an executive delegate with near 20 endorsements who is constantly active meaning I don't need to watch like a bird (no pun intended) all the time.

Off-site, the only real commitment in NationStates I have is to The North Pacific, as a member of Cabinet and the Minister of Foreign Affairs. My role as a Judge in Osiris does not require me to do anymore than look in once a week, and I am generally on the fringes of that region as is appropriate for someone of my history in the region. My role in TNGE is pretty much supervisory and I have no involvement with the Government. I do not maintain any executive government roles outside of my appointment in TNP (I do not class Alexandria as an example, since I am the founder, head of state and walking bank account for the region).

In real life, I am a full time Carer to an unwell relative, as some members of this community already know. It means that for better or for worse, I am never far away from home and days where I am not around are few and far between. For better or for worse I am on NationStates every day, for often several hours at a time. When a relative visits, like my sister and niece a week or two ago, my time is eaten by them - since I don't just have to deal with a disabled relative, but with my sister and a baby as well.

Grosseschnauzer:
I check NS consistently every day, and I do it more than most other activities I have available to me, so yes; I do have the time. I have my YouTube channel of course, but I usually make the videos for that during the period in the afternoon when the forum is very dull and inactive, and I don't work on those videos every day.

TL;DR- Yes, I do.

Great Bights Mum:
That would depend on the nature of the annoyance as well as how they reacted to suggestions.

For example, there's nothing inherently wrong with larger text, so someone who uses a big tag in all of their posts is not a big (ha ha pun) deal. Even if it slightly annoys others for taking up a bit more space, that's the kind of annoyance that just needs to be tolerated, and which can have very good reasons for existing (for example, maybe they have poor eyesight).

But if that person used five big tags every post, that's a bit excessive, and I would suggest someone PM them with a gentle "Hey, maybe don't do this every time? People have complained that it's really irritating." If they cut back on it after that - great, problem solved.

But if they reacted to that by increasing to eight big tags per post, then I would see that as thumbing their nose at the admin team and crossing into behavior that merits serious discussion and possible escalation to formal caution or even warning.

So, to put all that in general terms: Incidentally annoying behavior should, I think, be tolerated quietly. Seriously, but unintentionally, annoying behavior should be addressed and hopefully corrected, but without jumping into punishments. Deliberately annoying behavior, though, particularly when it crops up in a pattern as opposed to a one-off, should be taken seriously as an attempt to upset people.

Grosseschnauzer:

Time.

I have no other in-game commitments beside TNP. I am a citizen of Equilism, but it is sadly quite inactive, so all of my NS time is on the TNP forum.

My RL is largely free. :)

Great Bights Mum:
I have never found annoyance to be something that would warrant moderator intervention unless it broke the rules in a more clear way (like harassment, etc.). Everyone is annoying to someone some of the time.

Grosseschnauzer:

Time.

I tend to be on the forum daily during the week, sometimes for hours at a time throughout any given day. On the weekends I do have more pressing RL concerns but am still able to check in on the forum periodically over those days in most instances. If I am offline for an extended period on the weekend than I tend to be more active on Monday/Tuesday following it.

I do have other in-game commitments but they have never conflicted with my activity here.

Just as an FYI - the admin team is deliberating, swash buckling, jive-talking, and commiserating about the applicants.

Not sure when we'll end, but the process has begun.

punk d:
Just as an FYI - the admin team is deliberating, swash buckling, jive-talking, and commiserating about the applicants.
Has anyone told you that you fight like a dairy farmer yet? :tb2:

SillyString:
punk d:
hahaha...No, but I guess if the shoe fits.

punk d:
SillyString:
punk d:
hahaha...No, but I guess if the shoe fits.
omg no, no, no. The riposte to that one is, "How appropriate. You fight like a cow."

I am getting flashbacks to "Insult Arm-Wrestling" with Mister Cheese on Monkey Island.

plembobria:
Some lion dude asked me to apply, so I'm applying.
You might want to review the O.P. And the remainder of this thread, and provide the same sort of information requested of earlier applicants. That would greatly assist the admin in reviewing your application.

Back