OOC: There's no Such Thing as Dragons

Hello. Welcome to the 'There's no Such Thing as Dragons' OOC Thread. This is where all OOC discussion should happen. Please don't post in the IC thread.
This RP is multi-species and set in the year 1895. Naturally, we are operating in a past-tech world.
This is an open RP, but I would like to invite any would - be applicants to post a brief application below summarising what you intend to do. The initial few posts will just be between me and Darcania (for reasons which will become obvious) but as things develop, I will let participating nations know when they can take part.
Any questions, just PM me.
IC thread: http://forum.thenorthpacific.org/topic/7352420/1/#new

Please read and agree to this in your application:
http://forum.thenorthpacific.org/single/?p=8205030&t=7352422
It outlines what we expect of all applicants.

Thanks,
Eumenor

OOH! This means flashback to previous governments! The Syrixian Empire will be there too perhaps?

When the OP is set up, this will be a signup, according to the IC thread.
The Spokesman of Eumenor:
This Role Play is open to any nation who wishes to join - after applying on the OOC thread, and gaining approval.
Then it will be a place to put OOC posts.

So yes, the Syrixian Empire can be there if it wants to, if it's approved.

As the Syrixian Empire was a huge aggressor back then, I would think it natural that the Empire send a flotilla carrying with it 150 land soldiers and 50 sailors. I would be playing them all, though I would mostly focus on their commander, Shu'thalo Trist, a ruthless man fiercely loyal to the Imperial Crown.

Of course, I would also be playing the Emperor, but since Senlok II reigned much later, from 1963 to 2014, I will instead use Emperor Edmund VI.

I was thinking the Empire would draw up plans to conquer Darcania and wrest control of Klarliert, and possibly be one of the main antagonists.

Whoa, what? No. Wyssiria is still an uncharted/overlooked island at that point. You'd have to know about its existence, as well as its inhabitants, first. Send explorers or a small party of conquistadors, like Spain did, first. As well, since Wyssiria has little value to humans (there is very little arable land), the party shouldn't be very large.

How about we keep the naval party at 50 and cut the exploration party to 20? Then the Empire can call in reinforcements when they discover the dragons. They were dumb as heck, so perhaps the Emperor would aspire to enslave the dragons and use them as mounts. This would obviously fail.

That sounds reasonable to me, but it kind of cuts Eumenor out of the story and relegates him to a minor role. If he is OK with your role, I'm fine with it.

I was thinking that whoever Eumenor is playing can work with the Darcanians to drive out the Syrixian aggressors. Is he doing something else?

Right now, he's just an exploratory party that is only just about to find out about the existence of dragons. We haven't finalized his role.

I know! We could have a war between Eumenor and Syrixia raging at this time and Eumenor's party could find the dragons; then one person would betray them, tell the Emperor, and we'd send a bunch of people to go enslave them and tame them as mounts which would not work at all.

Well, it's up to Eumenor.

Also, in the post I'm going to be putting up at some point soon on the IC thread, I should note that Zukul kul Nord is the future Minister of Foreign Affairs, Ulus kul Leiter. Most government officials in Darcania change their name to match their position. Just a heads-up.

Mind if I join too? Seeing as Andulus controls a large chunk of the area between Darcania and Eumenor. Andulus was at the tail end of the days of the Andulan Republic. It would roughly be three times as large as it is on the current map, and would be close to an outright civil war.

What role will you play? Eumenor would like to know, according to a post above, before accepting.

If Eumenor agree with Syrixia's proposed war. Then Andulus could easily be a proposed ally against Syrixia's Empire. But if not, then it could easily function in a similar capacity as an exploration catalyst. At that time peroid the Andulan Republic's Parliament was growing extremely paranoid due to its instability. So Andulus could trade assistance with Eumenor's explorations in exchange for an alliance.

I don't think a full on war between Andulus and Syrixia would be necessary. It's more epic if the enemy has the military and the protagonists have the small exploration team, each vying to find the dragons.

I would like to hold other people from joining the RP until we're a bit further in, and then, of course, you are welcome to respond when I invite you to. In the meantime, consider what your position would be (and if you find anything steampunkish or dragonish let me know. I'm looking for a new picture for the OP).
Happy dragon hunting.

Hey, what're your thoughts on my proposed role in the RP? Go back through the thread; there was a conversation on it.

The Spokesman of Eumenor:
I have planned out where I think this is going. I haven't told Darcania to make it spontaneous, but I reckon it'll be hard to do anything other.
Well, if it's hard to do anything other, you might as well tell me so I can tell you whether it matches my nation's history, seeing as how the whole RP is taking place in my nation.

Darcania:
What role would Cronaal play?
I'm unsure if I'm disallowed from entering by what Eume just said but I would play an allied nation. I am the only nation in the North so I'd assume it'd make sense if I were in an alliance or trade route of sort with one of the southern nations involved.

You said you'd tell me when I got to join in. Do you have any estimates?

Eumenor tends to be very inactive, and since he hasn't told me anything, I'm afraid you may wait a while.

I want to do a grim and evil scene with the emperor being informed of the islands and him telling his courier to get an armed exploration party to go to Darcania; and I want to do it before I forget the idea.

Can I join sometime on today to Saturday?

It's up to Eumenor, since he runs the story. You can write it down and save it to your computer until then.

Sorry Syrixia, I'm hilariously inactive right now. We'll aim to bring you in on Saturday next week. I will PM you, but it may be sooner.
I'm in Glasgow right now at the Davis Cup, I won't be home until Monday, when I will pick up the story. Thanks for your patience, everyone.

No problem; it's only one day before the specified Saturday; could I jump in now if possible?

Syrixia:
No problem; it's only one day before the specified Saturday; could I jump in now if possible?
I just asked Eumenor to edit his most recent post. If the events of your post aren't visible to the characters currently on the island, I'm fine with it. Otherwise, I would discourage jumping in for the moment, though I won't stop you. Either way, you'll still also need Eumenor's permission before jumping in now. I also am holding off on posting until Eumenor edits his post, so I won't reply to your post, either until that happens.

I would also ask Eumenor to set up turns (or give me permission to do so) so we each get equal say in the posts. As Eumenor tends to be very inactive and you and I tend to be very active, I would recommend it so his posts don't get drowned out by ours. It would also help slow us down so we don't feel pressured to respond every few hours.

Yes, but it would also make the roleplay slower and risk its death. I am against turns.

Anyways, I await Eumenor's response.

If it goes too fast, it will die because I won't be able to keep up or will lose interest. It would be similar to Uthvaq Shanar: My interest started fading because the posts were small and quick, and I
1) Couldn't keep up, and
2) didn't have enough detail to make the text interesting. It ended up just being the same thing over and over to me: Look at something, comment on it, move on. There's only so many ways I can say "Kultur was impressed with what he saw". This isn't a criticism of Uthvaq Shanar, mind you: It was very fun while it lasted.

One post from each person per day or two, which is only somewhat faster than we've been doing already (minus some breaks when Eumenor was especially inactive or I had writer's block) would be alright. It wouldn't be "dead" until at least two weeks had passed, and even then, I could see it coming back to life.

While I can see how turns can really bog down the speed of an RP, there needs to at least be some system in place. If not turns, then a mandate that, if you posted twice between one other person's posts, wait until they post again. It'll give more inactive people, like Eumenor, a chance to keep up, and will encourage people to spend more time on each of their posts so they stand out quality-wise.

I didn't think of it that way. I agree.

Though I am sad; but eh. I guess this is the nail in the coffin of Uthvaq Shanar.

I propose a turn-based system whereby I finish my post, then Darcania, then Syrixia. Syrixia's posts shouldn't be in Darcania yet (nor does he know we have discovered dragons at this point) but he is welcome to begin talking about his government at the time it is set. It will be clear from my post when the international community will find out about the island and its dragons.

Could you possibly introduce the dragons soon? My introductory scene involves a courier notifying that the island has dragons.

Back