ARCHIVED: Mine Collapse Leaves Four Missing

Skalnatagrad Post Dispatch
Mine Collapse Leaves Four Missing, Presumed Dead
16DEC14
Page A4

By Julia Olsen, Independent Press Corps

(Skalnatagrad, IPC) Just a little before 7:30 this morning, an explosion at a coal mine site 200 kilometers northwest of Skalnatagrad left four dead, and extensive property damage for miles around. Initial reports indicated that the explosion was roughly the equivalent to 100 tons of TNT as charges ignited a previously undiscovered methane pocket. Since the explosion happened at off-peak hours and crew members followed proper safety procedures, casualties were minimized.

"We had evacuated most of the mine in preparation for the detonation." Miner Scott Henry reported. He was on site for the explosion, and suffered concussive wounds. "The detonation crew counted down, 3... 2... 1... then... boom. Next thing you know, I'm knocked on my [explitive], and there's dirt spewed everywhere." Another 10 people were treated for similar concussive and auditory wounds.

"There's absolutely no precedent for something like this" another miner reported on condition of anonymity. "This doesn't 'just happen', y'know?"

The mining supervisor, as well as the mining company, Coal Things, could not be reached for comment.

The Defense Force has also deployed a company to assist in cleanup and recovery efforts, as well as rescue operations if survivors are found.

This has not been the first time that this mine has been cited for lapses in safety violations, as an investigation in 2013 found inadequate measures controlling coal dust. It remains unclear if the safety violations were ever remedied.

Due to the massive size of the explosion, it has been reported by the authorities that the mine has been rendered inoperable and will be shut down.

There are ambiguous reports of a meteorite being spotted over Novaton just before dawn. Authorities dismissed this claim as "merely coincidental". "You must keep in mind that, on average, ten meteorites can be spotted in the sky over Scandigrad per hour," lead investigator Jacob McBride stated "To suggest that the two events could possibly be related is absurd."

The names of the deceased are not being released at this time, pending the notification of their families.

Much of Cronaal knows of how tragic death can be at current times and we send our deep condolences to the families of these miners and also their friends. our government too agrees that the meteorite being a coincidence is ridiculous, surely it'd be seen beforehand if it was so close to the ground.

-Vilsuun Jok'mey dos Kahn
-Foreign Affairs Minister [CLASSIFIED NAME]

Back