Bill of Rights Day

Grosseschnauzer:
How about compromising the date to be April 6th to commemorate the very existence of the Bill of Rights?
That is my birthday!! :w00t:

Bill of Rights And Silly String Day is a go. ^_^

Crushing Our Enemies:
So far, the only flemingovian holiday had a celebration leading up to it that was almost a month long - did you miss the blessing of the sugar canes?
I wouldn't know, and I don't care.

What is important here is the principle of the thing.

There's nothing stopping Flemingovianism from having 365 days a year of holidays (366 during leap years) and the way that one clause is written, adherents could take every day of the year off for religious holiday reasons, and they'd have legal protection doing so, as the number of days of such holidays are totally at the writ of Flemingovia. And by the current law, they would be protected.

The addition of one additional day to specifically commemorate an important part of our regional legal legacy is far less than even the month you reference.

As to the commemoration of our regional secular holidays, that is up to the Delegate's government of the day to organize. In the RL United States, we have several federal holidays that only close federal offices, postal services, and federally chartered banks, most people do not get those days off from work. So as far as our regional traditions are concerned, what has developed isn't much different, and I do not see it as being an issue or a reason not to have an additional regional holiday.

Back on topic, i still see no compelling reason to add another civic holiday to our list.

Even though it is up to the government to determine how we mark them, the fact that the holidays already on the books are so poorly celebrated (with one or two exceptions) should give us little confidence that this new piece of legislation would in any way further our regional life.

I would much rather we came up with ways we could better mark the days we DO have. Perhaps the culture ministry could give a lead?

PS I do acknowledge things that have been done for some of our festivities.

Grosseschnauzer:
the way that one clause is written, adherents could take every day of the year off for religious holiday reasons, and they'd have legal protection doing so
Are you sure we're reading the same law? Cause the version I'm reading says,

17. Holidays of the Flemingovian religion shall be observed regionally, and all nations shall have the right to take a day off work, unpaid, on those holidays. Government officials are excluded from the effects of this clause.

(Bolding mine)

flemingovia:
Sorry? Why do we need this holiday again?

PS JJ, the above is a question. It is usual to answer them. I know from your campaign thread you have difficulties with the concept, hence the explanation.
I would like to hear the author's response to this question.

I'm pretty "meh" about this idea. I don't see a significant need for it.

Crushing Our Enemies:
So far, the only flemingovian holiday had a celebration leading up to it that was almost a month long - did you miss the blessing of the sugar canes?
Whatever Flemingovianist stuff is happening, count us out- 99% of Syrixia is not Flemingovianist.

SillyString:
Grosseschnauzer:
the way that one clause is written, adherents could take every day of the year off for religious holiday reasons, and they'd have legal protection doing so
Are you sure we're reading the same law? Cause the version I'm reading says,

17. Holidays of the Flemingovian religion shall be observed regionally, and all nations shall have the right to take a day off work, unpaid, on those holidays. Government officials are excluded from the effects of this clause.

(Bolding mine)
Did I reference government officials? Read the entire clause, and you will see what I was referring to. As well as the fact that the scope of the clause as a whole could reach the entire calendar year if Flemingovianism chose to do so.

If one wants to speak of limiting or reducing holidays in the region, that clause would make an excellent starting point.

mcmasterdonia:
flemingovia:

PS JJ, the above is a question. It is usual to answer them. I know from your campaign thread you have difficulties with the concept, hence the explanation.

One could make the argument about any regional holidays, period, but the dates and commemorations mentioned in Section 7.2 relate to historical events and documents in The North Pacific. And I would be mystified why the Bill of Rights would be less important than the other events and documents already marked by a regional holiday.

Grosseschnauzer:
Did I reference government officials? Read the entire clause, and you will see what I was referring to. As well as the fact that the scope of the clause as a whole could reach the entire calendar year if Flemingovianism chose to do so.
Yes, you were referring to the part where people could take off work - since TNP can't give people time off work IRL, the only plausible meaning is that they could take off of work in TNP.

Your objection seems to be to the idea that people could avoid getting anything done for an entire term and avoid a recall or replacement for inactivity for religious reasons.

But since the right to take off work is explicitly revoked for government officials, I genuinely don't understand where you're getting this from.

If you're not referring to people being able to disappear for a whole term and get away with it, it would be helpful for you to be more clear about what is so awful about the "unpaid day off" line.

Grosseschnauzer:
365 days a year of holidays (366 during leap years)
Or possibly just one: The Festival of Romanatus - A year long feast where only cheese is eaten, and adherents dedicate themselves to answering the question: Who is John Galt? (btw, the clause about taking a day off work is superfluous imo)

On topic: I'm pretty sure this bill was intended to commemorate the Bill of Rights (the OP could clarify if he wants to). This seems straightforward to me.

falapatorius:
On topic: I'm pretty sure this bill was intended to commemorate the Bill of Rights (the OP could clarify if he wants to). This seems straightforward to me.
Thank you for helping to bring us back on topic.

Yes, I understand the what. I just do not understand the why?

It would be nice to hear from the author

Grosseschnauzer:
mcmasterdonia:
flemingovia:

One could make the argument about any regional holidays, period, but the dates and commemorations mentioned in Section 7.2 relate to historical events and documents in The North Pacific. And I would be mystified why the Bill of Rights would be less important than the other events and documents already marked by a regional holiday.

One could, but I'm not. It is proposed that we add to the Regional Holidays as I understand it. Perhaps we could find a way to celebrate some of them together?

It is true that the Culture Ministry "could" promote these regional holidays more, but overall, I think there is relatively little interest or understanding about the current holidays as they stand.

I also do not think that the importance of the Bill of Rights is downplayed or that it should be considered to be less important simply because there is no regional holiday that explicitly celebrates it.

Frankly, passing legislation to celebrate each TNP document individually is more work than is necessary, which is why I'm put off by this bill. If anything, they should all be celebrated at once, prefferably over the period of 1 week. So I don't see the necessity of this particular bill.

Yes, if billofrightophiles are feeling left out the obvious thing to do is to extend Constitution Day on 7th July to include celebrating the Bill of Rights and Legal Code as well as the constitution.

I'm coming around to the idea of combining commemoration of the Bill of Rights with Constitution Day. After all, the two go hand-in-hand, and (if observed) would likely have very similar celebrations. It makes sense to celebrate them together.

Frankly, I think the Oligarchy should give up their whole "I love the Constibillocode" schtick and scrap the holiday like we all know they want to do to the text.

Silly String:
Frankly, I think the Oligarchy should give up their whole "I love the Constibillocode" schtick and scrap the holiday like we all know they want to do to the text.
That's a work in progress isn't it? :lol:

I don't really see a problem (or care tbh) with adding another holiday, since it seems only the Speaker pays attention to them.. right Olvey? ;) But combining it with Constitution Day is an ok idea too.

I present an alternate proposal for JhonsJoe to consider:

The Legal Code Section 7.2.10 shall be amended to read: "The seventh of July shall be Supreme Law Day, and shall commemorate the Constitution, Bill of Rights and Legal Code of the North Pacific."

I took the title "supreme law" from the laws page on this forum.

In an effort to move things along a bit, I have sent the following PM to JhonsJoe:

Dear JhonsJoe,

I realise you are a busy person, but there are a number of outstanding questions in the thread where you proposed the introduction of a bill of rights day, and it would be very useful if you could visit the thread and answer them.

In particular:

1. Why do you feel this holiday is necessary?
2. Would you consider combining this holiday with another, say with Constitution day, to create a "supreme law day" or something similar?

thanks for your time

F.

flemingovia:
I present an alternate proposal for JhonsJoe to consider:

The Legal Code Section 7.2.10 shall be amended to read: "The seventh of July shall be Supreme Law Day, and shall commemorate the Constitution, Bill of Rights and Legal Code of the North Pacific."

I took the title "supreme law" from the laws page on this forum.
I think that I would support this version if JhonsJoe was to adopt it.
It is very well organized and it commemorates a day to a list of events in one section.

~ Tomb

1. Why do you feel this holiday is necessary?
To celebrate the very document that lets me do the following:

"The Delegate Is a piece of ####"
(I don't mean that though)

2. Would you consider combining this holiday with another, say with Constitution day, to create a "supreme law day" or something similar?
Well No actually. The BoR is very significant, as it gives us free speech, etc...

The bill of rights is a piece of four hashtags?

Ok, no compromises. No advice taken. Let's get this over and done with.

I have a few problems with the text as it stands.

For one thing, I don't think that choosing an intermediate date between two historically significant dates really does justice to either one. The date should either be the fifth or the seventh, and I would lean towards the fifth, since everyone can agree that that date is significant, and not everyone can agree that the 7th is.

For another, I haven't really seen a rationale for celebrating this separately from the constitution.

The 6th of April has an independent significance in relation to the Bill of Rights; it is the day that the original version was declared adoption in those areas of TNP that were independent of the Pixiedance dictatorship. All subsequent versions are derived from that one. (That's why I provided the link to Old Blue to begin with.)

Some people simply do not want to acknowledge that historical reality nor the role that I played in drafting the original version to begin with (which was presented to representatives of the Pixiedance regime at a "peace conference" in TEP, which they rejected, even with an offer to otherwise accept the Pixiedance-drafted constitution, which died its own death.

Grosse - it's not about you.

So far I've heard the 5th, 6th, and 7th of April all asserted as historically significant dates. I am not clear on what the significance of each of those is. The sixth was originally proposed because it fell between the 5th and the 7th, but now Grosse is saying it carries its own significance, despite his assertion earlier that the 5th was the correct date.

Just what the hell happened in April 2005?

I think nobody is disputing that it would be good, among our holidays, to have one marking the Bill of Rights.

The question in some minds is "when", and the question in others is whether this ought to be a separate holiday or whether it should be part of a larger celebration of all our laws.

The original drafter does not seem open to edits of his draft, so is there really any point in further debate?

Should I start my own discussion if I would like to suggest an additional holiday? I was thinking a "Crappy Proposals that aren't worth the discussion" day. I know it's a bit clunky of a title, but I could see it being really popular, especially of late. :D

We need more holidays!

Back