Proposal: Democratic Union Committee Conference

dmb615

TNPer
Democratic Union Committee Proposal​

As a member of the Democratic Union, it is my duty to make sure that the council stays functional while maintaining the organization other bodies have such as the Regional Assembly or the World Assembly. In order to increase the organization and efficiency of the Democratic Union, I officially propose to create six committees that will do as stated below. Because of the uncertainty of the future, I leave the document open source, waiting to be edited by fellow members with their ideas in place.

As the Democratic Union is becoming more and more of a regional power in the North Pacific and is influencing the policy of member nations, it arises the concern that is is possible that there will be too many agenda items that the Democratic Union will no longer be able to complete the functions that it was created for. It would be in the best interest of the Democratic Union that smaller, more specific committees can carry out some tasks that the main council could not do on its own. Therefor, this proposal looks at and sets a basic guide for past, present, and future items to, hopefully, create a more organized and efficient Union.

First Committee: With the best interest of the North Pacific at heart and mind, the first committee of the Democratic Union will deal with matters pertaining to military and defense. Matters that will be included under this committee will be for the good of all nations within the North Pacific, not just the Democratic Union. Although it is highly suggested, a strong military is not needed to be in this committee.

Second Committee: The second committee of the Democratic Union will deal with economics and international trade. Topics included under this committee will be for the well being of economic prosperity and economic security. Good, strong leadership is needed to compete with the many agenda items that the Democratic Union and the North Pacific faces each and every day.

Third Committee: With the safety and preservation of the environment at mind, the third committee shall deal with matters pertaining to the environment. Keeping in mind the preservation of the delicate ecosystem of the North Pacific, this committee will have the sole expertise on the topic relating to environment. The committee will have to write a small report on the environmental effects (if there are any) of an agenda item. Unlike the other committees, a well founded conservation program must be in place before being accepted into the committee.

Fourth Committee: The citizens of member nations must be in good health and must be treated fairly in order for democracy to function in that country. The fourth committee will deal with humanitarian and health issues. Matters such as diseases, overall civil and political rights, and basic needs being met will be dealt with under this committee. Although the fourth committee does not have the power to persecute, it does, however, have the power to investigate and give aid to those affected. Nations admitted must have a good civil and political rating.

Fifth Committee: Keeping in mind that without communication, a peaceful and functioning body is not possible, creates the fifth committee to deal with diplomatic matters, including conferences, summits, and affairs both foreign and domestic. The power invested in the countries and diplomats will be closely watched by the sixth and final committee. This committee can make treaties, agreements, and can plan events.

Sixth Committee: Agreeing that the Democratic Union needs an anchor, the sixth committee will be dedicated to judiciary tasks. These nations must see that each law, policy, or act is constitutional and in the well being of the Democratic Union. A strong sense of unbiased mindset must be in place before being admitted. The general assembly has the power to impeach the nations if they are found with abusing their powers.

Do you feel that it would be effective for each committee be establishing the articles for the Democratic Union for their respective branch, and then proposing it to the DU as a whole?

I think overall this structure will be effective once we can establish a base charter. I have a few ideas for a collective defense agreement that I'd like to start drafting.

Scandigrad, I see your concern and point as I, too, agree that it would be more effected once the Democratic Union has an official constitution and such. As this is just a proposal, it doesn't have to be accepted until the basic charter, like you said, is established. A defense agreement, for example, would go under the first committee. The members within that committee would discuss it on their own time and place, not in the general assembly. Once they have reached a general consensus, then it would move on to the main body. The body would either vote yes or no, and that would decide whether or not it is enacted. I believe that this might be a bit slower than a hodgepodge of discussions, but it could mean that multiple proposals are being looked at with the expertise and careful consideration that they need. If need be, that committee can explain the document to the general assembly as not so economic savoy people know the affects of minimum wage are, or not so environmentally savoy people know what an underwater oil pipeline going from the Principality of Legington to Stovilium will do to the natural habitat of the Arctic Char.

You make a great point, but what I'm wondering is if you think that it would be beneficial for these separate committees to create the arms of the basic charter. As you said, it would mean multiple proposals are being looked at with the expertise and careful consideration that they need. Also, I think that with multiple groups looking at multiple segments would be faster than the entire DU going through establishing each section line by line, since I'm imagining every group will focus on each section one at a time.

Basically, I like your proposal, and I think that the committees should be used to establish the basic charter.

In all honesty, I had not thought of that. Although, I might need some clarification. Are you thinking that the Democratic Union should have one large charter and smaller ones for each committee? If so, are you saying that each committee shall create one part or one basic charter. Perhaps it is just me and you explained it perfectly, but if you wouldn't mind, explain further.

I think each committee should create one part of the basic charter, as in, each committee should submit an article pertinent to their given expertise. We would need full debate on the governance of the DU, but each committee should establish the basic responsibilities for each member nation for their respected area of expertise.

As I've re read over what the deputy Chairman posted in the membership thread for this Union, I think he's covered what I was aiming for, but I think we should use these committees to establish the DU's policies. We have a structure, but no policies as of yet.

Thank you for the clarification and I now realize the benefit of that over the general assembly working as a huge mind, shouting out their opinion while shooting down others. The only concern I have over that, which would require some creative problem solving, is that each committee may hold themselves to a different standard than others. The clear answer may be to have the Judiciary Committee look it over and decide or to have them set the standard, but that leaved too much power in the hands of one committee, even if it is for a short time. The sooner the constitution is presented the better, for then we have a starting point for the charter.

The proposal has just found its way to my desk, so I have not yet had the opportunity to read it fully. My first thought on a brief look over is that the Committee's should be appropriately renamed to suit their purpose.

A basic outline charter was created in the applications thread and a draft constitution was posted and approved by most of the members. There is also a proposed and widely accepted free trade agreement. That being said we do need to establish basic policy and I think we need a meeting of all the members to discuss it.

Malvad:
A basic outline charter was created in the applications thread and a draft constitution was posted and approved by most of the members. There is also a proposed and widely accepted free trade agreement. That being said we do need to establish basic policy and I think we need a meeting of all the members to discuss it.
Yes, I saw it, rather tucked away. Would it be possible for a pinned thread containing these documents to be posted? I'm sure it will help new members, and centralize future proceedings, giving us a neat place to quote legal documents from.

I know I created a file on Google Drive to include all agenda topics that come up to the Union. So far, I have the 3 documents presented (The free trade, the committees, and the defense agreement) to make sure that in case anything does happen, it is on record. Also, to make it easier, they are sorted by the date submitted.

This proposal is not still active and was never put into place. When I drafted this and brought it to the DU, it was a different place than it is now and I imagined very different things. From laws being passed to a new constitution, half of this proposal is null and void, plus in the activeness with the members these committees would create unneeded complication and bureaucracy to the DU.

I concur with Dalies.

Also, Mr. Insanity, you have quite the reputation of gravedigging. PLEASE STOP.

Back