Former PM Gough Whitlam dies at 98

mcmasterdonia

Just like a queef in the wind, so is life
-
-
-
TNP Nation
McMasterdonia
A sad day in Australia. Former Prime Minister Gough Whitlam has died aged 98. He brought the labor party to government after more than two decades in opposition. He made up for that and made an incredible amount of policies and reforms in the short time of three years that he held office. His "It's Time" speech remains an iconic part of Australian political history. Read here

Gough Whitlam was a controversial, but courageous Prime Minister who pursued extremely important policies and looked to the future instead of the past. Most notably he pioneered:

• universal free healthcare
  • introduced free university education (from which many of today's Australian politicians benefited)
  • Ended the White Australia policy (A policy that restricted non-white immigration to Australia)
  • withdrew Australian forces from Vietnam
  • and recognised the People's Republic of China.

He was controversial dismissed from power by then Governor General, Sir John Kerr. The Governor Generals Secretary read the proclamation on the steps of parliament house, concluding with the traditional "God Save the Queen", Whitlam famously responded with “Ladies and gentleman, well may we say God Save the Queen (pause) because nothing will save the Governor-General."

That is not to say that his Government was perfect. It was chaotic and had it's fair share of scandals. However Whitlam was able to achieve a great deal in the short time that he held office, despite the fact that he did not have a majority in both houses of parliament, he maintained his intestinal fortitude to seek the reforms he strongly believed in.

The Governor General's dismissal of Whitlam remains to be one of the most politically and constitutionally controversial moves in Australian history. The Governor-General had relied on the advice of the Chief Justice of the High Court, a former Attorney General in the previous conservative Government, furthermore he had not given Whitlam any warning that he would dismiss him if the Budget was not passed through the Senate. He chose instead to meet with the Opposition Leader in secret, asked him to agree to certain conditions 1) to pass the budget 2) to immediately call elections, if he was made Acting Prime Minister. When Malcolm Fraser agreed to do so, The Governor General promptly dismissed Whitlam and appointed Fraser as Acting Prime Minister.

Whitlam did not inform his Senators of what had transpired, so when the Liberal Party supported their budget, they believed they had saved the day. When Fraser rose in parliament to announce his appointment as Prime Minister, the parliament promptly voted a vote of no-confidence in his government. The Governor General refused to accept this as an election had been called. The Queen declined to intervene as the constitutional powers were invested in the Governor-General as her representative.

Sir John Kerr was a plump man, who wore a top hat and carried a cane. Protesters and riots would follow him wherever he woudl appear for official functions after the dismissal of the Whitlam Government. His neighbours would put gold coins in his mailbox in reference to Judas Iscariot. Whatever people may think of Whitlam or Fraser, the dislike for Sir John Kerr is fairly universal.

RIP Gough Whitlam, a controversial, but great man and Prime Minister

His passing is especially sad, considering that we had such a forward thinking leader back then (in the 70s) when today our leader is looking to the 1950's for inspiration for his social policies. RIP Gough Whitlam!

Gold coins? What Bible do Australians read???

Seemed like a cool dude who did a lot for your country. Sorry to see such a luminary extinguished. I'll ask God if we can trade Tony Abbott for him back. :)

As a progressive, I regret not knowing anything about him 'till now. His career is inspiring, and his death highly predictable... I mean, 98 yo is a target most of us won't hit anyway, ain't it?

RIP

PS-I should read a bit more about Aussie politics.

Democratic Donkeys:
Gold coins? What Bible do Australians read???

Seemed like a cool dude who did a lot for your country. Sorry to see such a luminary extinguished. I'll ask God if we can trade Tony Abbott for him back. :)
That may have been silver coins, my bad. I forget :P

Romanoffia:
This made the news here in the US, and oddly enough, only Fox News covered this.
It was covered on Al Jazeera, but Gough Whitlam was not really popular with the US Government, so maybe they didn't consider him important enough to cover.

Seven former PM's of Australia all showed up today for Gough Whitlam's funeral. It has been very difficult to get some of htem in the same room given the strong feelings between some of them.

20141105001056293742-original.jpg

From left, Malcolm Fraser, Julia Gillard, Bob Hawke, Tony Abbott, John Howard, Kevin Rudd, and Paul Keating

Julia Gillard, Bob Hawke, and Paul Keating all entered to lots of cheering from the hardcore labor crowd, while Mr Rudd received small cheers. Malcolm Fraser the former PM who controversially took over after Whitlam was sacked by the Governor GEneral also attended the funeral, the two of them had become friendly over the years. Prime Minister Tony Abbott and Former PM John Howard were both booed by the crowd. Not exactly something you would expect to happen tat a funeral o_o

http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/2014/11/05/whitlam-service-unites-pms-rare-photo

Back