The UKIP is now a thing

Lennart

TNPer
So European elections are over and the UKIP, an "anti-euro" party has risen by... a lot. They won in most of England and Wales if I recall correctly.

I've got a EU ID Card that permits me to work and live freely here in the UK, and I've been doing so for 4 months now. It seems like I should be worried about the UKIP recent success in EU elections... But to be honest, I understand most points in UKIP program, even if I don't share their "populistic" slogans and their not-so-well-thought views on immigration.

It might help to say I never believed in the European Union anyway nor I consider myself to be European.

So, guys, British or not, what are your thoughts on this matter?

Please don't take it personally Lenny, they didn't win seats because of your arrival. :console:

Also, UKIP have zero representation in the national legislature, so, from a certain point of view, they don't exist.

I must admit I didn't read any of the programs this year.

heh

Well, I'm not so sure either, the more time I spend in Britain the less sure I am about what a "British" is xD

And yeah, Chas, I don't feel bad, in fact I understand what they do. I guess next legislative elections will say if they are really a political power or not. At least they aren't as radical as other parties growing all over Europe this time... And France, oh my, The National Front! that's messed up.

Chasmanthe:
Please don't take it personally Lenny, they didn't win seats because of your arrival. :console:

Also, UKIP have zero representation in the national legislature, so, from a certain point of view, they don't exist.

I must admit I didn't read any of the programs this year.
Just as a note, UKIP has 2-3 members of the House of Lords, but none in the Commons. But yeah, they kinda don't really exist inside the UK proper.

UKIP were already a thing. People are acting like they've come from nowhere to shock everyone.

They've gone from second 4 years ago... to first now.

The bigger and more important things to come out of the elections are this: the pro-EU side are not making a good enough case to remain in the EU. This is a Bad Thing (TM).

Labour are not doing well enough. They are limping over the finishing line Romney primaries style, when they should be leading by a ton.

The Lib Dems are doing horribly and are almost finished as a party. 5th behind the Greens! The Greens! Terrible times for them.

UKIP were already a thing. People are acting like they've come from nowhere to shock everyone.

They've gone from second 4 years ago... to first now.

The bigger and more important things to come out of the elections are this: the pro-EU side are not making a good enough case to remain in the EU. This is a Bad Thing (TM).

Labour are not doing well enough. They are limping over the finishing line Romney primaries style, when they should be leading by a ton.

The Lib Dems are doing horribly and are almost finished as a party. 5th behind the Greens! The Greens! Terrible times for them.

Britain is racist basically.

15wat5x.png

My opinion of the EU?

It's just a banking scam created by the Germans and the French to dominate Europe.

Ironically, the last people to try to unify Europe into one politically cohesive unit were Napoleon and Hitler. Didn't turn out well. :P

Lol Roman.

It seems like the racist and isolationist parties are doing well all over Europe. In Australia we have a conservative government, but the minor parties are generally speaking very progressive. The main racist party - One Nation- died out in the early 2000s.

mcmasterdonia:
Lol Roman.

It seems like the racist and isolationist parties are doing well all over Europe. In Australia we have a conservative government, but the minor parties are generally speaking very progressive. The main racist party - One Nation- died out in the early 2000s.
Australia, like the US, is a nation of immigrants. There is a strong ethnic component to European culture and society (for instance, France for the French, Germany for the Germans, etc), and disrupting that ethnic component is causing much heartburn. I don't imagine the results would be much different if there were mass immigration into Japan or China for instance; in fact it would likely be much worse.

The UK only controls roughly 10% of the EU Parliament so even if UKIP had won 100% of the vote they still wouldn't mean anything in the EU.

The issue is that many expect them to win Commons seats next year in the general election, but again not enough to matter in and of themselves. Mostly, Labour is worried they won't win outright because of the votes UKIP may siphon from them.

Which doesn't seem all that likely to happen. UKIP might take a few Tory seats, but in all the marginals labour won handily, as well as taking Dave's favourite borough of Hammersmith and Fulham.

King Durk the Awesome:
mcmasterdonia:
Lol Roman.

Australia, like the US, is a nation of immigrants. There is a strong ethnic component to European culture and society (for instance, France for the French, Germany for the Germans, etc), and disrupting that ethnic component is causing much heartburn. I don't imagine the results would be much different if there were mass immigration into Japan or China for instance; in fact it would likely be much worse.
There is still strong anti-immigration views in Australia and the US. The Tea Party preached these views, with pretty limited success. Racial violence is a problem everywhere, but that seemed to be more of an issue 10 years ago. Where it is becoming more prominent in the media within the last couple of years in Europe.

Another thing I noticed when visiting Europe - was that rivalries that were in place because of something that happened one or two hundred years ago are still relatively strong.

Back