Reproductive Freedoms [Complete] [Complete]

Abacathea

TNPer
Category: Human Rights | Strength: Significant | Proposed by: Eireann Fae​

Description: BELIEVING in the reproductive rights of all individuals,

ACKNOWLEDGING that individuals may have cultural or religious misgivings regarding termination of pregnancy,

BEMOANING the fact that some nations codify such misgivings without regard for the freedom of the individuals to choose,

YEARNING to put the choice of whether or not to give birth firmly in the control of each individual;

THE WORLD ASSEMBLY

RECOGNISES that the termination of pregnancy is a medical procedure, with all the rights and protections afforded to such a practice,

MANDATES that Member Nations recognise the right of all individuals to have their pregnancies terminated through safe, openly accessible procedures,

DEMANDS that Member Nations prohibit any impediment to the termination of pregnancy that is not applied to medical procedures of similar risk and complexity,

REQUIRES Member Nations to ensure protection from targeted animosity to providers and patients of the procedures covered by this resolution,

PERMITS Member Nations to enact policies encouraging individuals to allow live delivery of their offspring, provided such policies do not ultimately hinder the individual from terminating their pregnancy,

SUGGESTS that Member Nations encouraging live deliveries take unwanted offspring into their own care.

Sadly real life commitments are keeping me from doing a proper appraisal of this tonight, so I'll just do my summary.

MINISTERS SUGGESTION

This proposal actually seems well thought out, and while it doesn't essentially legalise abortion across the board (something this Minister would rather see) it does afford the protection of that to individual citizens and forces governments to recognize it. The piece reads well and at a cursory glance there's nothing to suggest this wouldn't be a good one to have on the books considering the landslide of stuff we'll keep seeing if this fails.

The Minister suggests FOR as a result.

This proposal mandates that all World Assembly member states legalize abortion throughout all stages of pregnancy, including late-term abortions.

I strongly support a vote AGAINST, not only because of my personal opposition to abortion but because the proposal constitutes a vast overreach of World Assembly power. This issue of abortion is sufficiently controversial that it ought to be left to individual member states.

Auralia:
This proposal mandates that all World Assembly member states legalize abortion throughout all stages of pregnancy, including late-term abortions.

I strongly support a vote AGAINST, not only because of my personal opposition to abortion but because the proposal constitutes a vast overreach of World Assembly power. This issue of abortion is sufficiently controversial that it ought to be left to individual member states.
FTR, the late term abortion legalization is already mandated, in part, by On Abortion - which, if memory serves, had a repeal attempt on it fail recently.

Abortion is controversial, which is why it should be left up to individual women to decide what to do with their own bodies rather than having the moralistic and/or religious views of their government forced upon them.

Abortion should be safe, legal, and above all else - RARE. Passing this resolution will bring the World Assembly closer to assuring such reproductive choices are left up to the individual women to make for themselves.

As such, I strongly encourage TNP to support this resolution now that it's At Vote.

Mousebumples:
Abortion is controversial, which is why it should be left up to individual women to decide what to do with their own bodies rather than having the moralistic and/or religious views of their government forced upon them.
And why should mothers have the right to kill their children? I was under the impression that the state's job was to prevent that sort of thing...

Auralia,

Just for the record you are free to debate this to any (reasonable) extent you desire. However your against vote cannot be considered as a recent change in voting policies requires a WA nation of yours to be in the region at the time of and duration of vote.

Against.

GnCnB does not allow its citizens to terminate the life of their offspring, born or not, and the WA should not allow other Nations to either.
Also, GnCnB does not recognize a fetus as part of the mothers body since it has a different genetic code; thus, although women in GnCnB are allowed, to some extent, to do what they want with their own body they are not allowed to do something that is criminal against someone else even if that person is gestating inside of them.

On a side note, I have heard reports that in some Nations assault on a pregnant woman leading to the termination of the pregnancy is grounds for a criminal charge of murder as opposed to just assault of the woman, and yet that same woman is allowed to choose to terminate the pregnancy herself and it is not considered murder. Complete hypocrisy!

Abacathea:
Auralia,

Just for the record you are free to debate this to any (reasonable) extent you desire. However your against vote cannot be considered as a recent change in voting policies requires a WA nation of yours to be in the region at the time of and duration of vote.
Understood. Thanks for letting me know.

Voting on this resolution has ended.

Thanks to those nations who cast their votes. Your participation is a great help to the region.

This topic has been locked and sent to the Archives for safekeeping. If you would like this topic to be re-opened for further discussion, please contact the WA Delegate, a Global Moderator, or an Administrator for assistance. Thank you.

Voting on this resolution has ended.

Thanks to those nations who cast their votes. Your participation is a great help to the region.

This topic has been locked and sent to the Archives for safekeeping. If you would like this topic to be re-opened for further discussion, please contact the WA Delegate, a Global Moderator, or an Administrator for assistance. Thank you.

Back