FLemingovia vs Grosse

Flemingovia

TNPer
-
-
Request for legal review, Flemingovia vs Grosse

Justices,

I understand that our rules on double jeopardy do not allow the case of Flemingovia vs Grosse to be reopened. I am not seeking that.

However, I do feel that the conduct of the case by the court was unsound, and I would request a legal review of the conduct of the case and the officials concerned, and whether a safe verdict was reached in that case.

Naturally, I will be recused as a justice, but if the court wishes to hear my reasoning further, I would be happy to oblige.

Flem, I'm not quite sure what you're asking us to review. Are you asking if the Court acting illegally in Flemingovia v Grosseschnauzer? Are you asking if the officials concerned acted improperly? I'm also not sure what you mean by "safe verdict." Are you asking if the verdict was illegal? Insufficient? Unconventional?

The answer to these questions have a bearing on whether or not we can accept this review. The constitution empowers us to "resolve conflicts or ambiguities in the law, and review the constitutionality of laws or legality of government policies." Before a decision is made whether to accept this review, I would like to ask you to rephrase it more specifically, and narrow down exactly what matter you wish the Court to rule on. It will very much increase the chance of acceptance if it is phrased in terms of a conflict or ambiguity in the law, a question about the constitutionality of a law, or a question about the legality of a government policy.

In the case of Flemingovia vs Grosse, I believe the court acted illegally and in disregard of it's own rules and procedures, in delivering a summary and cursory judgement without considering at all the evidence or the arguments of the case. This was prejudicial both to the plaintiff and the defendant.

Yes, I do believe the officials in this case acted improperly, and I would like some acknowledgement of the fact.

In an ideal world, I would like a mistrial to be declared and the whole proceedings restarted. But our world is not ideal, so the best I am hoping for is for lessons to be learned through a judicial review, and guidance issued to future court officials to prevent such a travesty happening again.

The court will review this matter.

In light of Flem's recusal, the Court appoints SillyString as a Temporary Hearing Officer, pending her resignation as Deputy Speaker and taking the oath of office.

The period to submit briefs will commence immediately, and will last for four days, until (time=1357795800).

Flem, it would be helpful to the court if you could put your request in the form of a question or questions - and it makes it more likely that we'll address your request in the scope that you desire. I encourage you to submit a brief on this matter.

Sorry, things are manic at work with people off with flu and big deadlines approaching. I'll be on this as soon as I have five minutes.

Thank you to the court for its understanding during this period of high workload IRL.

BACKGROUND

On 15th January 2013 civil charges were filed against Grosse pertaining to certain baseless comments he had made about me, alleged abuse of moderation/administration privileges, and bias that I had allegedly shown in order to favour my "ally" blue wolf.

these comments injured me deeply, since I pride myself on my impartiality when it comes to administration duties. These comments were all the worse since they came from a fellow administrator on the forum.

I was advised by the court that I had no grounds for criminal complaint, but could pursue a civil complaint through the courts, which I duly did.

From the outset, the court hearing was beset by problems, mainly caused by Grossse's leave of absence from certain aspects of the forum.

On February 26th a decision was made in favour of myself. This seems to have been reached simply to clear the case from the books, rather than on examination of evidence. The court promised to issue an fuller opinion, but this was never delivered.

At this point I expect little satisfaction from Grosse. It is my belief that he lacks the maturity of character to admit that he was in the wrong, and that he lacks the common decency to apologise. That is a given. I believe that many who have known Grosse as long as I have would agree with that assessment.

My main concern is for the court system, to make it more robust and to ensure that verdicts like this are not delivered in the future.

I was asked to phrase in questions, so here we go:

1. Will the court please give opinion on the conduct of the case Flemingovia vs Grosse, giving special attention as to whether the evidence was adequately examined and the verdict was delivered in light of that evidence.
2. Should the court decide that the verdict was not reached after due process, will the court declare that a mistrial took place.
3. Since Grosse was found guilty, does double jeopardy apply, or could the case be reopened so that a proper verdict can be reached?
4. in legal opinion, what lessons can be learned so that future cases are not handled as shoddily as this one was (in my opinion).

thank you. If anything in this is clumsily phrased it is because I am in a rush work-wise. If you need clarification I will happily provide it.

court-seal.png

Ruling of the Court of the North Pacific
In regards to the Judicial Inquiry filed by Flemingovia on the conduct of the trial of Flemingovia v. Grosseschnauzer
Opinion drafted by Crushing Our Enemies, joined by Romanoffia & SillyString
The Court took into consideration the inquiry filed here by Flemingovia, as well has his subsequent clarification here.

The Court took into consideration the brief filed here by Flemingovia.

The Court took into consideration the relevant portions of the Constitution of the North Pacific:
1. The Court will try all criminal and civil cases, resolve conflicts or ambiguities in the law, and review the constitutionality of laws or legality of government policies by request of an affected party.

3. The Chief Justice will administer the rules of the Court. Where no rules exist, the Chief Justice may use their discretion.

4. The official opinion of the Court in any trial or review will be binding on all Government bodies and officials.
The Court took into consideration the relevant portions of the Bill of Rights of the North Pacific:
6. No Nation shall be held to answer for a crime in a manner not prescribed by the Constitution or the Legal Code. No Nation shall be subjected to being twice put in jeopardy for the same offense. No Nation shall ever be compelled in any criminal case to be a witness against itself.

9. Each Nation in The North Pacific is guaranteed the organization and operation of the governmental authorities of the region on fundamental principles of democracy, accountability, and transparency. No action by the governmental authorities of the region shall deny to any Nation of The North Pacific, due process of law, including prior notice and the opportunity to be heard, nor deny to any Nation of The North Pacific the equal and fair treatment and protection of the provisions of the Constitution.
The Court took into consideration the relevant portions of the Adopted Court Rules December 2012 (in effect during the trial of Flemingovia v Grosseschnauzer):
Article 1: Trial Procedures
In accordance with the Legal Code of the North Pacific the Court establishes the following rules for Trial Proceedings:
  1. All charges that are brought in front of the Court of the North Pacific shall be filed in the form of an Indictment.
  2. After an Indictment is filed any Justice of the Court may approve the Indictment and within 24 hours a Trial thread will be opened by the Chief Justice or the Justice appointed as Trial Moderator. Indictments seeking an ejection or banning, or expulsion from the RA due to oath violation, the procedures as set by the Legal Code will be followed exactly as stated. After the acceptance of an Indictment and before the trial thread is opened the Defendant will be notified by a Court Justice of the pending proceedings.
  3. An Indictment may be declined by the Court if said indictment lacks substantial evidence to merit a trial.
  4. The Defendant will have 48 hours to enter a plea. If no plea is entered a default plea of Not Guilty will be entered.
  5. Once a plea is entered the period for pretrial motions will begin and last for 72 hours. After the conclusion of the pretrial motion phase a period lasting for 4 days will begin for evidence discovery and witness testimony. An extension of up to 72 hours may be granted upon the request of either the Attorney General or the Defense.
  6. Once discovery ends a period of time for arguments on the evidence and law will begin. This period will normally be 5 days unless otherwise stated by the Trial Moderator.
  7. During discovery and arguments, either side may make objections or requests publicly on the forum.
  8. Once arguments end, the Court will have 72 hours to decide on a verdict and, if necessary, sentence.
  9. This timetable may be altered by the Moderating Justice as required.
The Court took into consideration the trial of Flemingovia v Grosseschnauzer: HERE.

The Court opines the following:

On January 15th, 2013, the civil trial of Flemingovia v Grosseschnauzer began. Within 48 hours of the trial opening, it was postponed because the defendant was unable to appear in court. On February 26th, the court ruled in favor of Flemingovia, citing Grosseschauzer's failure to respond to the charges as the only reason for ruling as they did. No further action was taken by the court.

The court rules in effect for the duration of the incident did not distinguish between procedures for civil trials and criminal trials, as the adopted court rules do at present. There is nothing in the rules at the time that specified that they were inapplicable to civil trials. Thus, it is the judgment of this court that those procedures did apply to civil trials and that they ought to have been followed in the matter of Flemingovia v Grosseschnauzer.

Decision
The discretion of the moderating justice only extends to modifying the length of the various stages. It does not allow them to skip stages or proceed through them out of order.

The court turns now to the question of whether Grosseschnauzer's right to due process was violated. The court finds that in order to satisfy the right to due process, all adopted court rules must be followed, and those rules must be legal, constitutional, and free of Bill of Rights violations. Thus, the court violated Grosseschnauzer's right to due process by failing to follow its adopted rules. Even if those rules were interpreted as inapplicable to civil trials, that interpretation denied Grosseschnauzer his right to be heard and defend himself. The trial was declared postponed within 48 hours of opening, and did not go into session again until the ruling was delivered. Thus, Grosseschnauzer was not even given a full opportunity to enter a plea.

Decision
The court must follow its adopted rules with regard to trial proceedings to avoid violating the defendant's right to due process. Additionally, those rules must be legal, constitutional, and free of Bill of Rights violations.

With regard to the double jeopardy question, the court does not agree with the premise that Grosseschnauzer was ever in jeopardy to begin with. Jeopardy can only apply to matters where there has been a trial and a verdict of Guilty or Not Guilty. Given the opinion of the court that in the absence of a trial there was never any legal verdict, jeopardy has not attached. Accordingly, the plaintiff is free to refile charges.

Decision
Jeopardy only attaches to a case when an official and binding verdict of Guilty or Not Guilty has been delivered. Verdicts of the court are only official and binding when the trial has been conducted in a legal and constitutional way, without violating any of the defendant's rights.

The court realizes the difficulty of moderating a trial in which the defendant does not participate, but it is not appropriate to issue a default ruling in favor of the plaintiff when that occurs. In cases where the defendant is unable to participate in trial proceedings, or even select their defense attorney, it would be appropriate for the court to delay the trial until the defendant is able to appear. However, if it can be demonstrated to the court that the defendant is able to participate, but chooses not to do so, it would be appropriate for the court to appoint a defense attorney and continue the trial in their absence. There may be other legal and constitutional ways to handle an absentee defendant.

The court apologizes to Grosseschnauzer for violating his rights in the matter of Flemingovia v Grosseschnauzer, and to Flemingovia for mishandling his charges.

I thank the court for its careful consideration of this matter. I will think about the next steps I may wish to take.

Back