Request for Injunction/Review of Voting Booth Action

Mall

TNPer
I am filing an injunction against the current election cycle, along with challenging the validity of the decision of the Voting Booth to invalidate my candidacy. That decision can be located here

The Constitution clearly states
1. All government officials must maintain membership in the Regional Assembly. Candidates in any election must maintain membership in the Regional Assembly for the fifteen days before the opening of nominations.
. . .
4. Government bodies may create rules for their own governance subordinate to this constitution and the laws.
5. No law or government policy may contradict this constitution.
It is obvious to even the most casual observer that I have been an RA member for the fifteen days required before the opening of nominations. Please note that the Constitution does not dictate that they must be the fifteen days immediately preceding the election, and that if this had been the intention it would have been written as such. Ergo the Voting Booth cannot create its own rule regarding RA membership due to the fourth and fifth clause listed above, since such a policy would contradict the first clause listed above. I submit that my fifteen days were completed after I first joined TNP's RA, and those are the fifteen days which TNP requires.

Furthermore I quote the Bill of Rights:
9. Each Nation in The North Pacific is guaranteed the organization and operation of the governmental authorities of the region on fundamental principles of democracy, accountability, and transparency. No action by the governmental authorities of the region shall deny to any Nation of The North Pacific, due process of law, including prior notice and the opportunity to be heard, nor deny to any Nation of The North Pacific the equal and fair treatment and protection of the provisions of the Constitution.
My nomination for Delegacy was rejected without due process of law, without any prior notice, any opportunity to be heard by the Voting Booth, and I (as an RA member who has been in the RA the required 15 days) have clearly been denied equal and fair treatment and protection.

I ask that the Court halts all election procedures while they seek to come to a verdict on this matter, in order to preserve the fairness of the election process. I ask that the Court instruct the Voting Booth to accept my legal nomination/acceptance of that nomination.

Thank you for your time.
EDIT: Quick edit here to explain another aspect, it was argued to me on IRC that the Constitution would have read "be an RA member for 15 days before the opening of elections" if I were correct. However the definite article "the" refers to the requirement that the clause seeks to establish, and as such merely clarifies my argument instead of in any way confusing it.

And from IRC, further proving my point.
[15:15] <+Mall> As I'm sure r3n can tell, the constitution has that clause to prevent brand new people from jumping in just before an election. I am not brand new, I am an RA member from the past. As such the constitution clearly wasn't looking to limit me from participating, and in fact it clearly does not state that I must be limited.
[15:16] <+Mall> Both the letter and spirit of the law supports my position.

More evidence that the Voting Booth was aware of my previous RA membership: here.

Not to step on anyone's toes, but Mall applied to join the RA here. Last time I checked, yesterday was not two weeks ago.

Ash:
Not to step on anyone's toes, but Mall applied to join the RA here. Last time I checked, yesterday was not two weeks ago.
I would ask that the deputy minister either read the posts that explain everything or stay out of areas where serious business is being conducted.

The request for injunction is denied. The alleged illegality can be remedied by the Voting Booth adding the candidate's name back on the ballot before voting commences. The election cycle may continue as normal for now.

The request for review is accepted. The Court will strive to return a decision as soon as possible, and possibly tonight. In the meantime, interested parties may file briefs, and the Court will take them into consideration.

This review is based off of Mall's interpretation that this:

1. All government officials must maintain membership in the Regional Assembly. Candidates in any election must maintain membership in the Regional Assembly for the fifteen days before the opening of nominations.

is to be taken as meaning that an individual may stand as a candidate as long as they have held membership of the Regional Assembly for any fifteen day period before the commencement of nominations, this interpretation is, I believe, incorrect as if that were the case the wording would be "for a fifteen period" or simply "for fifteen days" while the Constitution clearly specifies it as the fifteen day period prior to an election. Additionally, if Mall's interpretation were to be accepted it would allow for instances where those who do not even have a nation in TNP, but have held Regional Assembly membership for fifteen days at any point in the past, could run, though they would be unable to take up office if they did win which would trigger an immediate special election.

Justices of the Court, Mall has not fully scrutinized the meaning of his cited text. Mall seems to claim that the text allows for the candidate to be in the RA for ANY fifteen days before elections. However, it is more complicated than this. The text states:

Candidates in any election must maintain membership in the Regional Assembly for the fifteen days before the opening of nominations.

Notice the emphasized "the" for it makes all the difference. Referring to "fifteen days" would yield that Mall was correct, but referring to "THE fifteen days before nominations" denotes that the text specifically refers to THOSE FIFTEEN DAYS. To repeat that, it refers to THE FIFTEEN DAYS before nominations, naming them specifically. Ergo, one must be a Regional Assemblyman in the entirety of those fifteen days, which are in this case 8/16-8/31. Mall was not.[/i]

Iro the very argument you make is dismissed in my opening argument. If the Constitution had intended it to be the fifteen consecutive days immediately before an election, it would say so. And even if that was the intent (which I also show not to be the case in my opening post), it is not what the law says.

This very matter has been heard by the court before with Blue Wolf ii. He was removed from the RA and subsequently was disqualified from seeking a second term of office. The review I lodged resulted in the decision that the 15days must be consecutive days before the election.

Edit: I would add that this is in place to prevent people from joining immediately before an election and running in said election. I do not feel that is unconstitutional.

mcmasterdonia:
This very matter has been heard by the court before with Blue Wolf ii. He was removed from the RA and subsequently was disqualified from seeking a second term of office. The review I lodged resulted in the decision that the 15days must be consecutive days before the election.

Edit: I would add that this is in place to prevent people from joining immediately before an election and running in said election. I do not feel that is unconstitutional.
The Court can ignore precedent when it conflicts with the Constitution, as the Court itself has already ruled. As such, the previous Court case is not relevant.

The previous court ruling if it addressed this very issue is very relevant. One could make the argument that the court could refuse to accept this review because the prior court has ruled and no new arguments presented by Mall lead to a different conclusion than drawn by the previous court.

"the" fifteen days seem pretty explicit.

punk d:
The previous court ruling if it addressed this very issue is very relevant. One could make the argument that the court could refuse to accept this review because the prior court has ruled and no new arguments presented by Mall lead to a different conclusion than drawn by the previous court.

"the" fifteen days seem pretty explicit.
To contend that a Court should never question its previous rulings is to contend that the Court is infallible. While I have nothing but respect for the Court, I do not believe that any institution in TNP has such status.

We had a similar situation a few years back (2010?) when HEM wanted to run for office after he returned from an absence. I'll try to find the thread.

Most folks in Mall's position just suck it up and wait 'til next go round. It's just a few months.

Great Bights Mum:
We had a similar situation a few years back (2010?) when HEM wanted to run for office after he returned from an absence. I'll try to find the thread.

Most folks in Mall's position just suck it up and wait 'til next go round. It's just a few months.
I am not most people.

Ok, I've found a ruling here from when the law read 30 days and not 15. I believe I myself ran afoul of the requirement at one point, not having all my paperwork in order in a timely manner. I appealed to the Court for a special dispensation.

You see, I am not "most people" either. I am fabulous.

The court still shot me down.

May it please the court,

It is my submission that "the" proceeding "fifteen days" refers to the 15 consecutive days proceeding a given election. To find otherwise would be to thwart the original intention of the RA in preventing new or newly returned members from taking office. The policy behind the rule being not just that that those who have only just joined the region should be prevented from taking office but those who have proven inactive should have to show some level of activity before standing.

Constitution:
Candidates in any election must maintain membership in the Regional Assembly for the fifteen days before the opening of nominations
(Emphasis added)

The court has already decided on this point in relation to an earlier version of this provision found here

I thank the court for not halting an already lengthy election process.

I submit to the Court that these precedents are entirely irrelevant as they do not in any way apply to the current Constitution of TNP. It is absurd to argue that the current Court should take precedent from an irrelevant Constitution, particularly whatever intents may or may not have been in place when writing that same outdated Constitution.

Kiwi:
The policy behind the rule being not just that that those who have only just joined the region should be prevented from taking office but those who have proven inactive should have to show some level of activity before standing.
Isn't the suitability of candidates up to the voters to decide? If we're going to prescreen, why not eliminate candidates who don't post campaign threads, or ones who promise to engage in illegal behavior?

Moreover, nowhere else in TNP are restrictions imposed on participation in government. There is no barrier to citizenship, nor to RA membership. RA members may immediately vote on all new matters that go to vote. Any RA member, no matter how new, may serve in an appointed position - minister, deputy minister, temporary judicial officer, and so on.

Why should one person (an appointer) be able to say that someone is active enough to serve, but the RA as a whole cannot? How is that democratic?

I appreciate your passion on this subject, but your suggestions would be better suited for the RA. The Constitution is pretty clear on this, but it is entirely part of our democratic process that aggrieved parties are entitled to a fair hearing.

SillyString:
Kiwi:
The policy behind the rule being not just that that those who have only just joined the region should be prevented from taking office but those who have proven inactive should have to show some level of activity before standing.
Isn't the suitability of candidates up to the voters to decide? If we're going to prescreen, why not eliminate candidates who don't post campaign threads, or ones who promise to engage in illegal behavior?

Moreover, nowhere else in TNP are restrictions imposed on participation in government. There is no barrier to citizenship, nor to RA membership. RA members may immediately vote on all new matters that go to vote. Any RA member, no matter how new, may serve in an appointed position - minister, deputy minister, temporary judicial officer, and so on.

Why should one person (an appointer) be able to say that someone is active enough to serve, but the RA as a whole cannot? How is that democratic?
One could argue - by passing the constitutional provision, the RA has decided. The interpretation proposed goes against fundamental principles of statutory interpretation. The approach that Mall proposes leads to an absurdity that the RA never intended.

That said, Mall is entirely right that it seems crazy he should not be able to run simply because he ceased to be a member of the RA until recently. However, his remedy should be via the RA.

What's more it is incredibly unfair to those who have conformed to the law as written, until now. Particularly given that the court has already decided on this matter previously.

I would implore the court to not overturn it's own decision where there is no change in the legal or social context for doing so.

@Ash - Exactly!

I won't comment further on this issue, because smart people have already recapitulated everything I've already said and stand for.

Kiwi:
I would implore the court to not overturn it's own decision where there is no change in the legal or social context for doing so.
Hey, Kiwi: "it's" is for "it is," and "its" is the possessive. Get it right.

tumblr_l84mxeYkcC1qbolbn.jpg

Let's not quibble over small grammatical issues when we are dealing with such serious matters.

"We shouldn't have to be burdened with all the technicalities that come up from time to time with shrewd, smart lawyers interpreting what the laws or what the Constitution may or may not say." - Former U.S. Vice President Dan Quayle

I will once again ask that the Deputy Minister not feel compelled to speak in these chambers when he is contributing nothing to an important matter.

Ruling of the Court of the North Pacific
In regards to the Judicial Inquiry filed by Mall on the invalidation of his candidacy for the Delegate election

Opinion drafted by r3naissanc3r, joined by Funkadelia and Romanoffia

The Court took into consideration the Inquiry filed here by Mall.

The Court took into consideration Article 9 of The Bill of Rights for all Nations of The North Pacific:

9. Each Nation in The North Pacific is guaranteed the organization and operation of the governmental authorities of the region on fundamental principles of democracy, accountability, and transparency. No action by the governmental authorities of the region shall deny to any Nation of The North Pacific, due process of law, including prior notice and the opportunity to be heard, nor deny to any Nation of The North Pacific the equal and fair treatment and protection of the provisions of the Constitution. No governmental authority shall have power to adopt or impose an ex post facto law or a bill of attainder as to any act for purposes of criminal proceedings.

The Court took into consideration Article 6, Clause 1 of the Constitution of The North Pacific:

The Court took into consideration its previous rulings:

Ruling of the Court of the North Pacific In regards to the Outstanding Request for Review
Ruling of the Court of the North Pacific in regards to the Judicial Inquiry filed by Mall on the restarting of the Vice Delegate election

The Court took into consideration the announcement made here on September 1st 2013 by the Election Commissioners overseeing the General Election.

The Court took into consideration Section 3, Part 7 of the Constitution of The North Pacific, as it stood immediately before the enactment of the Constitutional Omnibus Act, passed on August 21st:

7. Candidates for these elected officials must be members of the Assembly for 30 days before nominations begin.

The Court took into consideration the Regional Assembly discussion on the Constitutional Omnibus Act that took place here.

The Court opines the following:

The petitioner, Mall, has requested that the Court review the decision made on September 1st 2013 by the "Voting Booth" to invalidate his candidacy for Vice Delegate in the General Election of September 2013 ("the election"). The Court believes that by "Voting Booth" the petitioner is referring to the Election Commissioners overseeing the General Election of September 2013 ("the Electoral Commission"), who are in exclusive control of the account "Voting Booth" for the duration of the election. The Court will adopt this assumption for the remaining of this opinion. The Court granted the petition, recognizing that the fact that the petitioner is the same as the person whose candidacy was invalidated affords the petitioner the status of affected party constitutionally required of those requesting review.

The petitioner challenged the decision of the Election Commissioner on two separate grounds. The Court will address them separately.

Fifteen-day constitutional requirement for candidates.

The Electoral Commission, in their announcement on the invalidation of the petitioner's candidacy, provided as justification the constitutional requirement laid down by Article 6, Clause 1 of the Constitution. This Clause requires that "[c]andidates in any election must maintain membership in the Regional Assembly for the fifteen days before the opening of nominations." The petitioner challenged this justification by making three claims: First, that the above clause does not require membership for the fifteen days immediately preceding the "election". Second, that he fulfilled the requirements of that clause under that interpretation, having been a member of the Regional Assembly for some period of fifteen days before the opening of nominations. Third, that the Electoral Commission incorrect use of the above clause to invalidate his candidacy violated the petitioner's right to equal and fair treatment and protection, as provided by Article 9 of The Bill of Rights for all Nations of The North Pacific ("Bill of Rights").

The Court will examine the first claim and, depending on its conclusion, proceed to the second and third.

Regarding the interpretation of Article 6, Clause 1 of the Constitution, mcmasterdonia submitted a brief arguing that the Court has already ruled on this matter in the past. The decision in question was rendered on April 21st 2012, at a time when the Court had not yet adopted its current naming conventions for cases; for convenience it will be referenced as Ruling of the Court of the North Pacific, In regards to the Outstanding Request for Review, and is provided at the beginning of this opinion. The decision related to a clause of the Constitution of The North Pacific ("the Constitution") before it was amended to its current form by the Constitutional Omnibus Act of August 2012. The clause in question survives to an extent in the current Constitution, in the form of Article 6, Clause 1. However, the current form of the clause is considerably different from the old one. One of the most salient amendments is the addition of the definite article "the" before the number of days, whose meaning the Court is asked to determine. Therefore, the old decision is no longer applicable and a new one needs to be made.

The Court believes that the language in Article 6, Clause 1 of the Constitution, and specifically the presence of the definite article before "fifteen", clearly indicates that the requirement to be examined for potential candidates is whether they have been members of the Regional Assembly continuously for the fifteen days immediately preceding the opening of nominations. The language is unambiguous, and therefore any other interpretation would be absurd. This interpretation is compatible with the one used by the Electoral Commission, and incompatible with the interpretation proposed by the petitioner.

It is worth also examining the intent of the regional legislative body, the Regional Assembly, while drafting the constitutional clause in question. In the thread in the Regional Assembly discussing the Constitutional Omnibus Act of August 2012, when asked about the meaning of the definite article in Article 6, Clause 1, then Speaker Gulliver stated: "The "the" there is deliberate. It means specifically the 15 days before the election in question, not any random 15 days, so it's not possible to argue that "I was in the assembly 15 days already, even if it wasn't continuous, therefore I'm good to run"."

It should be noted that taking the intention of the Regional Assembly into consideration when interpreting a statute is appropriate only when said statute is ambiguous or absurd. Neither of these is true in this case, as Article 6, Clause 1 of the Constitution unambiguously indicates that the requirement for candidates is that they have been in the Regional Assembly continuously for the fifteen days immediately preceding the opening of nominations. However, the legislature's intent here is in agreement with the actual meaning of the clause, and corroborates the interpretation adopted by the Court.

Based on the above, the Court rejects the first claim made by the petitioner. The petitioner's second and third claims were conditional on the validity of the first claim, and therefore are also rejected.

Decision

The Electoral Commission interpreted Article 6, Clause 1 of the Constitution correctly in their decision to invalidate the petitioner's candidacy on the grounds that the petitioner was not a member of the Regional Assembly continuously for the fifteen days immediately preceding the opening of nominations. The decision of the Electoral Commission cannot be overturned on the grounds presented by the petitioner and is upheld.

Right to due process, prior notice, and the opportunity to be heard

The petitioner requested that the Court review whether the way in which the Electoral Commission invalidated his candidacy violated the petitioner's right to due process of law provided by Article 9 of the Bill of Rights. The Bill of Rights says that due process includes "prior notice and the opportunity to be heard". The petitioner argued that the Electoral Commission's execution of their decision to invalidate his candidacy violated both of these elements of due process.

The Court has found in its previous decision Ruling of the Court of the North Pacific In regards to the Judicial Inquiry filed by Mall on the restarting of the Vice Delegate election that "the Electoral Commission constitutes a "governmental authority" for the purposes of Article 9 of the Bill of Rights." Thus, its actions are indeed subject to review for violations of the requirement for observance of due process of law laid down by that Article, as the petitioner has requested.

Regarding prior notice, the Court first needs to determine what constitutes sufficient prior notice, and then to determine whether the Electoral Commission has provided it.

For the first consideration, statutory legislation does not provide any cues as to what constitutes sufficient prior notice for the invalidation of a candidacy by the Electoral Commission.

In terms of case precedent, the subject of sufficient notice for actions of the Electoral Commission has been examined to some extent by the Court in its previous decision Ruling of the Court of the North Pacific In regards to the Judicial Inquiry filed by Mall on the restarting of the Vice Delegate election. The Court determined there that "an announcement of the restarting of a vote made in a new, separate thread in an area of the Regional Forum designated for use for electoral matters constitutes sufficient prior notice for the purposes of Article 9 of the Bill of Rights." The Court then also found that "this is a sufficient, not necessary standard." In doing so, the Court provided the necessary flexibility for future determinations on what is sufficient prior notice to adapt to the circumstances of actions of the Electoral Commission of different nature. The current circumstances are indeed different, in that they concern a different action by the Electoral Commission, namely the invalidation of a candidacy instead of the restarting of a vote.

The Court also argued that prior practice needs to be taken into account in such determinations. Such prior practice creates expectations to nations as to how actions by governmental authorities are going to be performed, and how nations may reasonably expect to be notified of such actions. Considering prior practice, the Court in its previous decision noted that "the general accepted standard for actions by governmental officials is that they are visibly announced in a designated place within the constitutionally designated Regional Forum, with visibility usually achieved through the use of a new thread." In the case of the handling of nominations and candidacies, the latter clause is not applicable: decisions regarding such matters have in the past consistently been announced within the a thread specifically designated for nominations and candidacies. It follows that any announcement regarding nominations and candidacies made by the Electoral Commission within such a thread would constitute a "visible announcement" as described above.

Following the above considerations, the Court believes that an announcement on the invalidation of a candidacy constitutes sufficient prior notice for the purposes of Article 9 of the Bill of Rights if made in the following manner: a new post within a thread whose purpose is the administration of nominations and candidacies and is inside an area of the Regional Forum designated for use for electoral matters constitutes. As before, this is a sufficient, not necessary standard. Concluding the discussion of prior notice, the Court notes that on September 1st the Electoral Commission made here an announcement satisfying this standard.

Turning to the right to be heard, there is no statutory legislation or case precedent elaborating its interpretation. A nation's right to be heard can be interpreted in two ways. First, being able to publicly and visibly, but within reasonable limits, express disagreement with and complain about actions of a governmental authority affecting the nation. Second, being able to seek protection from such actions, through a process where the nation is allowed to argue their position, have their arguments heard and judged impartially, and which after such judgment can, if appropriate, relieve the nation. The Court believes that both of these elements constitute parts of the right to be heard.

In the case at hand, with regards to the first element, the Court notes that the Electoral Commission did not deny the petitioner the opportunity to express his disagreement with or complain about the invalidation of his candidacy. The petitioner could have done so in the designated thread for nominations and candidacies, an action which, for the reasons argued earlier when considering prior notice, would have been both public and visible. With regards to the second element, regional law permits the petitioner to request review of the actions of the Electoral Commission, have his argument heard and judged by the Court, which may then relieve the petitioner. The petitioner has indeed exercised this right, free from interference from the Electoral Commission. Therefore, the Court believes that neither element of the petitioner's right to be heard has been violated by the Electoral Commission's actions in deciding to invalidate the petitioner's candidacy.

Decision.

The Electoral Commission with its actions enacting its decision to invalidate the petitioner's candidacy did not violate the right to due process of law granted to the petitioner by Article 9 of the Bill of Rights. The actions of the Electoral Commission cannot be overturned on the grounds presented by the petitioner and are upheld.

I applaud the ruling of the court. I do not believe any other conclusion could have been reached.

:clap:

r3n is a superior jurist and any ruling having his name on it will always be laced with thorough legal thought.

Back