Intelligence Agency Oversight Bill

Discord
COE#7110
I do not consider this a complete fix, but I think it is a step forward in the process of bringing the intelligence community of The North Pacific under the oversight of the RA and the citizenry.

I propose that the Freedom of Information Act (Legal Code 6.3) be amended as follows:

Section 6.3: Freedom of Information Act

15. The Delegate and appointed government officials will be delegated the task of informing the Assembly of any governmental action not already disclosed by the respective officers of the Executive.
16. All registered citizens residing in The North Pacific may request information from the Government through the Delegate and the designated officers of the Executive.
17. The Delegate and the designated officers of the Executive will endeavour to retrieve information requested from the different departments of the government, who are obligated to release this information provided it will not and/or does not present a threat to regional security or unduly impinge on the privacy of private citizens, and
18. Citizens which do not receive this information for any reason not specifically designated in appropriate laws or regulations may file a request for the information in a regional court, where the Delegate and the designated officers of the Executive may present evidence that addresses any claim that release of the information impairs Regional security.
19. Information not disclosed because of issues pertaining to Regional security will be classified by the majority vote of the Court sitting as a three-member panel.
20. Information whose disclosure is deemed a security threat to the Region will be released by the affirmative vote of a majority of a three-member panel of the Court, no sooner than 2 months after the original request, once the threat no longer exists.
21. All activities by the designated regional intelligence services are exempt from this law.

I recognize the need for information gathering, but currently, any and all intelligence services are completely unaccountable to the rest of the government. It needs oversight. Else, it concentrates far too much power in a single un-elected official, e.g. the director of the NPIA. This bill doesn't completely solve the problem, but I think that allowing FOIA requests to be made of intelligence agencies is a logical first step.

This is a solid first step, and I agree that a more comprehensive law is needed eventually. Probably some form of oversight and disclosure doctrine similar tot he FoIA, but with stricter requirements for disclosure than for the rest of the government (i.e. easier to keep things classified). The issue as it stands right now is there is absolutely no way to ever ask questions and get answers, period. This bill fixes that.

It has my support.

While understanding the desire for more oversight with respect to the NPIA, I am not in favor of the means used to achieve it in this proposal.

Should the Court have access to NPIA files? Hmmm... this court I like. But future courts? I can tell you some of those past ones were doozies. For example, while Gracius Maximus was a more than competent Chief Justice, he was definitely not the one we'd want mucking around in our state secrets. Having seen periods of time when TNP didn't even field 3 candidates for the bench, various judges wander off, and the appointment of random hearing officers who happened by at the right time, I don't think it's wise to rely on the judiciary to protect our most sensitive information.

Then perhaps we could create a governmental office, the Information Commissioner, who does this then?

Great Bights Mum:
While understanding the desire for more oversight with respect to the NPIA, I am not in favor of the means used to achieve it in this proposal.

Should the Court have access to NPIA files? Hmmm... this court I like. But future courts? I can tell you some of those past ones were doozies. For example, while Gracius Maximus was a more than competent Chief Justice, he was definitely not the one we'd want mucking around in our state secrets. Having seen periods of time when TNP didn't even field 3 candidates for the bench, various judges wander off, and the appointment of random hearing officers who happened by at the right time, I don't think it's wise to rely on the judiciary to protect our most sensitive information.
My thoughts on the matter as well.

I think the Security Council should be involved. The courts turnover very quickly and I'm not sure I think that they should be entirely privy to this sort of information. I like the idea of Punk's suggestion, that three of the more senior members of the Security Council to consider the information etc.

One of the key concerns however is that we don't want the oligarchy argument being brought up and dragged out for another 3 months every time information is requested. I'm not sure how we can legislate to prevent that.

More comprehensive legislation is needed on this matter. As such I agree with Gaspo, that there would need to be clearer requirements about what information should be released and under what circumstances etc.

mcmasterdonia:
Great Bights Mum:

I think the Security Council should be involved. The courts turnover very quickly and I'm not sure I think that they should be entirely privy to this sort of information. I like the idea of Punk's suggestion, that three of the more senior members of the Security Council to consider the information etc.

One of the key concerns however is that we don't want the oligarchy argument being brought up and dragged out for another 3 months every time information is requested. I'm not sure how we can legislate to prevent that.

More comprehensive legislation is needed on this matter. As such I agree with Gaspo, that there would need to be clearer requirements about what information should be released and under what circumstances etc.
:agree:

Oversight is not an easy question to answer.

I support the proposal. My only opposition is that I don't think we even need an NPIA at all, then again, I'm probably in the minority there so I won't push that opinion.

The FoIA has bugged me for a long time; I'll work on something totally new to overhaul it. I have an idea for how to bring neutrality into the equation, or at least some semblance of it, by evaluating things with an impartial, non-elected panel, but it needs ironing out.

mcmasterdonia:
Great Bights Mum:

I also completely agree.

This would, as GBM suggests in a round-about way, the NPIA needs to have certain exemptions concerning FOIA requests. That doesn't mean total exemption, but exemption should be based upon the following criteria and amended as such in the TNP Legal Code as part of the FOIA:

I - The Freedom of Information Act for NPIA (and government in general) should entitle the following exemptions on documents being requested by the "public":

1.) Those documents properly classified as secret in the interest of regional defense or foreign policy;

2.) Related solely to internal personnel rules and practices;

3.) Specifically exempted by other statutes;

4.) Privileged or confidential information obtained from a person;

5.) A privileged inter-agency or intra-agency memorandum or other communication;

6.) A personnel file or other information the release of which would constitute a clearly unwarranted invasion of personal privacy;

II - Documents compiled for intelligence or law enforcement purposes, the release of which

1.) could reasonably be expected to interfere with law enforcement proceedings,

2.) would deprive a person of a right to a fair trial or an impartial adjudication,

3.) could reasonably be expected to constitute an unwarranted invasion of personal privacy,

4.) could reasonably be expected to disclose the identity of a confidential source,

5.) would disclose techniques, procedures, or guidelines for investigations or prosecutions, or

6.) could reasonably be expected to endanger an individual's life or physical safety;

7.) Contained in or related to examination, operating, or condition reports about institutions or organizations that the Security Council or NPIA regulates or supervises; or

8.) And those documents containing exempt information about intelligence operations in general.

This is a standard type of FOIA exemption protocol that any intelligence or governmental agency would use. Simple, logical, effective and reasonable by all standards.

Except no agency in the US, at least, is exempt from FoIA. They get to redact things, but they don't get to just refuse unless they show cause, to a court. Your proposed list of exclusions covers literally everything, while seeming to be quite detailed. For example:

"5.) A privileged inter-agency or intra-agency memorandum or other communication;" <-- That would likely be interpreted as any IRC log, PM, email, private forum post, smoke signal, or microdot. It's absurdly broad and covers basically every written document that would contain information regarding the agency's processes and activities.

"2.) Related solely to internal personnel rules and practices;" <-- so, anything from infiltration techniques to metaphorical cafeteria menus, blanket exception. You can construe damn near anything to relate to "personnel".

Edit: I found more.

"2.) would deprive a person of a right to a fair trial or an impartial adjudication," <-- I fail to see how releasing documents impacts a fair trial, apart from classifying them resulting in less fairness. We just had a court ruling declaring that the prosecutor is obligated to disclose exculpatory evidence; anything the the NPIA had would either a) be damning, thus making sure the right verdict was reached, or b) would be exculpatory, and its non-disclosure would negatively impact fairness. This is a stupid rule.

"7.) Contained in or related to examination, operating, or condition reports about institutions or organizations that the Security Council or NPIA regulates or supervises; " <-- This is the same as 5, above. It is a cleverly disguised blanket exception which protects all reports, operations reports, internal evaluations, everything. It bars from disclosure, anything which constitutes the NPIA evaluating itself. So, not only are we not allowed to evaluate, but the region would not be allowed to see any evaluations you did of yourselves, either. All for our own good.

Seriously?

Last edit: Missed one.

"8.) And those documents containing exempt information about intelligence operations in general." <-- So basically any document which contains even a shred of content relating in any way to any or all of the exemptions, is barred from release, too. Gee, I think that's literally everything the NPIA is likely to have, other than, maybe, uniform orders? No wait, personal privacy - might have the spies' sizes in there. Wouldn't want our spy agency intruding on anyone's privacy, would we. No sir.

I don't favor this removal without the addition of something else for our intelligence agencies. This will ground those agencies to a halt or will require our elected officials to lie to us. Practically, that's what will happen if this part of the law is removed.

It won't grind anything to a halt. It will require the general oversight procedure to apply, which dictates a 2-month delay period for each request if the request is deemed to violate regional security. So no, it won't stop anything going on now.

The problem people have with this simple repeal of the intelligence agency exemption is that it would require the intelligence agency to produce any information any person requests to the Court, regardless of who is on the Court. Conceivably conflict of interests by the Court could be addressed before the provision of such intelligence, but I have no confidence that that would be enough.

I don't either; like I said, I'm working on a different bill. I suppose I ought to withdraw my support of this, and give mcm time to produce the promised oversight and so forth.

Well, clearly this proposal will need to be considered in the context of the forthcoming NPIA charter and an overhaul of the FOIA. I withdraw my proposal, but wish that this thread remain open for further comment for a reasonable period of time.

I'm really not in the mood to fight this battle again.

Yes, I said again.

We had a similar fight under an earlier constitution when there was not an FOIA. As I recall, something was worked out, so I would commend those so motivated to go dig in the archives of the R.A. and see what that product was.

I'm not sure borrowing boilerplate from the RL FOIA of the U.S. is necessarily a good place to start.

I'm not sure the proposal in the O.P. is a good place to start, the FOIA of TNP is a flawed law to begin with.

I'd also suggest that if we're going to discuss intelligence procedure, methods, or matters that the private R.A. area would be a better place for this discussion.

punk d:
I don't favor this removal without the addition of something else for our intelligence agencies. This will ground those agencies to a halt or will require our elected officials to lie to us. Practically, that's what will happen if this part of the law is removed.
:agree:

I won't support this proposal unless we first abolish an elected Court. This proposal would allow a justice to seriously compromise The North Pacific's security and would encourage those with an interest in obtaining intelligence information to push at least one justice onto the Court who could obtain it for them. Not only would this completely undermine any intelligence efforts before they have even begun, it would also undermine our entire judicial system by making the Court the focus of any counterintelligence efforts and a key piece in any coup attempt.

It would grind our intelligence to a halt, Gaspo. Or our elected officials would need to lie to us in order to maintain the secrecy levels within the NPIA. Let's take for example the events in Osiris. Given the players involved and their histories it is not inconceivable that a number of feeders would say to themselves, "Hey - these guys did this in Osiris, what if they tried that here? Do we have proper precautions in place?" And they might also take proactive steps to try to get them on the inside of any such activities, difficult as that may be, in order to protect TNP. That's just an example, but people with actual knowledge of our NPIA and/or current intelligence activities need only think to themselves about current operatives or officials who disagree with particular activities making FOIA requests to get those activities out into the open.

Removing this provision allows us all to make FOIA requests for all intelligence activities. No, I don't see anything positive coming from this repeal without anything else as a replacement. I'm fine waiting for McM to put together the NPIA charter and leaving this as is for the time being.

punk d:
It would grind our intelligence to a halt, Gaspo. Or our elected officials would need to lie to us in order to maintain the secrecy levels within the NPIA. Let's take for example the events in Osiris. Given the players involved and their histories it is not inconceivable that a number of feeders would say to themselves, "Hey - these guys did this in Osiris, what if they tried that here? Do we have proper precautions in place?" And they might also take proactive steps to try to get them on the inside of any such activities, difficult as that may be, in order to protect TNP. That's just an example, but people with actual knowledge of our NPIA and/or current intelligence activities need only think to themselves about current operatives or officials who disagree with particular activities making FOIA requests to get those activities out into the open.

Removing this provision allows us all to make FOIA requests for all intelligence activities. No, I don't see anything positive coming from this repeal without anything else as a replacement. I'm fine waiting for McM to put together the NPIA charter and leaving this as is for the time being.
Exactly. Wait for the charter before making amendments.

Back