Status of Blue Wolf as Delegate

We now have an issue of legitimacy and succession as to the Office of Delegate. As R.A. members, and Citizens of TNP will notice, Blue Wolf II has been removed from the Regional Assembly for inactivity by missing two consecutive votes under Law 28.

I point your attention to two provisions of the Constitution:

Article I, Section 3, Clause of the Constitution states:
7. Candidates for these elected officials must be members of the Assembly for 30 days before nominations begin..

In addition, Article II, Section 1, Clause 2 of the Constitution provides that:
2. Holding other office in the Government does not eliminate Assembly-members from the rights and obligations of Assembly-members.

Read together, I think it is reasonable, notwithstanding the otherwise currently explicitly unwritten requirement of such, that the Delegate is to be a member of the Regional Assembly throughout his or her term of office; and every elected Delegate under the current Constitution prior to this has been a sitting member of the Regional Assembly throughout their respective term(s) of office.

Somehow, we need a determination, whether by the R.A. using the still open vote on the privileged motion for recall, or by the Court, or by a separate determination by the Regional Assembly, or by the Speaker, the Chief Justice or both of them, as to whether the office of Delegate is now vacant. If it is vacant, then the Vice Delegate needs to assume the duties of Delegate as the Acting Delegate, and based on the precedents such as Dalimbar's resignation (which led to Blackshear's special election as Delegate last year) we need to elect a Delegate, and a Vice Delegate for the remainder of the term as soon as possible.

I'm not particular as to which path we take to make this determination, but I am of the opinion we need to have something happen now. I am posting this statement in the Main Entry because, honestly, I'm not sure what is the best way to address this. I leave that to the other elected officials of the Government (the Speaker, the Vice Delegate the Attorney General and the Court) to determine the way forward. As a member of the Security Council I will promptly seek to assemble that body to assist as necessary in the transfer of authority to the Vice Delegate as Acting Delegate.

I don't believe the constitution requires the Delegate to maintain RA membership.

Now, whether Blue Wolf II is actually going to be around... that's another question. Certainly he hasn't been around very much so far...

Given the two provisions in the Constitution that I quoted, how do you reach that conclusion? The second clause would seem to make clear that officeholders are not relieved of their "rights and obligations" as R.A. members.

As I said, I believe that this needs to be addressed either by the R.A. or the Court, their heads, or a combination as soon as possible. The circumstances of the period since the last election should not be allowed to proceed any longer that necessary.

Oh that the circumstances should not be allowed to continue I agree with.

But this legal argument does not persuade me.

I believe it is an issue, because if he became inactive in the RA due to missed votes, then it is valid to have a recall vote.

BW came back, briefly made his presence, then dropped off the radar again.

It is understandable if RL matters have to take you away, but extended unexplained absences, I'm not happy with.

Back