lets we get down to bisness

There are a few things I would like to attend to as the new MoEA and I would like the cabinet's input.

In a nutshell I feel strongly that our foreign policy should have a crystal-clear direction with focused goals. What those goals are is less important to me, although I do have some ideas. In times of war these goals are obvious - decimate the enemy - but our last little war has died down for various reasons. In times of peace however developing a clear direction is more difficult.

One such direction for both our foreign affairs and whatever defence/intel mechanisms we may have could be a strong and principled opposition to the practice of region griefing (gaining a UCR delegacy and ejecting all the natives). This has come to the forefront in other places due to the destruction of the region/community of Belgium - one of the few oldest regions in the game. What happened was that Macedon and Mencer with help from the DEN moved 16 WA's into unfounded Belgium, imposed a hidden password unknown to the natives, and began kicking said natives. It has caused quite a bit of uproar due to the historic and communal nature of Belgium; this is the first time since the dawn of Influence that I've seen such a strong resistance to the practice of griefing. Personally I think it'd be wise for us (cabinet) to issue a statement denouncing Macedon, Mencer, and griefing in general. There are methods we could potentially use to stop region-griefers even aside from building a military which I know has been tried in TNP, although I won't go into such methods here.

Thoughts are welcome.

I think that we could easily issue a condemnation letter to those invaders, but how would we stop it without a defender army?

I have written up this statement. Let me know what you think.

Statement regarding the Belgium griefing

The North Pacific notes with sadness the slow and merciless destruction of the historic community and region of Belgium at the hands of Macedon and Mencer. Belgium has been around almost as long as Nationstates itself; there are few Nationstates communities as old or treasured. Our outrage at the destruction of this community is thus both appropriate and necessary.

Not all regions are communities; however Belgium was a community - a community that pre-dated founders themselves. Players from Belgium have been playing Nationstates for over six years, peacefully developing their region and community. While a standard invasion would not be so objectionable, the recent password lockdown and arbitrary banjection of all natives is outrageous. Some may point out the ability of the banned natives to found a new region, but such re-founded regions rarely prosper as history has demonstrated. Therefore, let it be known that the North Pacific hereby expresses disgust at the griefing of Belgium and will do whatever it can do help the true natives of Belgium in their endeavors.

Hear, hear.

Worth noting however that our foreign policy must be tempered by the current status of the NPA.

With regards to our military, or rather... lack of military, I will be requesting all of your efforts to help me with recruitment. This will be the third time I have served the region as Defence Minister, and frankly, I am quite saddened to see it in this state. There seems to be no drive anymore, no purpose or direction. Our ideology of defenderism led us for years, but now that game has been reduced.

I am strongly in favour of combating griefers, however. They are a blight to this game, who simply destroy instead of doing something useful. Now that many of the old-school defenders who I used to play with are back, I can see that we can start making progress on this front if we decide to put the energy into it. We need to step up to the plate and ensure that we are able to lead this effort, if we want to be a respected feeder again. Until such point that we can formulate a coherent and sound foreign policy on which we can base our defence and military policy on, then the griefer issue should be able to be a start.

Thus, I specifically ask the Delegate and the Interior Minister to assist me in recruitment for the NPA, but any and all help will be appreciated. If need be, I can write a draft telegram message to aid in this venture.

Back