Announcement from the Delegate

Hello there, Talon. Hopefully, I will be able to answer some of your questions.

First of all, why did Dali go rogue? Supposedly, he was tired of seeing an ineffective, unresponsive government weakened by a lack of centralized control and apathetic officers. He further claims the existence of a "clique", which combined with the burdensome nature of the red tape in the current constitution, discourages activity and interest among new nations.

Personally, I find some of those claims to have merit. Others I'm a bit more hesitant on. Regardless, these views are all rather subjective, and everyone thinks a bit differently about it. However, Dalimbar/Chodean Kal, being the Delegate, has the in-game power to bring about revolutionary change, for better or for worse. He now no longer recognizes the authority of the government on these forums and has vowed to change the wrongs listed above.

All laudable goals, to be sure. Of course, the means by which he is going about it is rather discouraging. There are legitimate ways to bring about constitutional change; Dalimbar simply chose to ignore those avenues. One may say that without strongarming us in this way, apathy would reign and no proposed change would pass, and I sorta agree. Dalimbar has certainly served as a real catalyst for real change.

HOWEVER. His recent actions are more discouraging. He put up new forums in an attempt to cut off this community from the greater region. Although discussions for change happen here, he seemingly doesn't wish for people to come here and take part in them? And furthermore, his new forums pretty much state that he has dictatorial power. No democratic representation of any sort, although you can "petition" him. Perhaps he may be a benevolent dictator, but a dictator he still is right now.

I will write more in a little bit, but I have to get back to my experiment. Sorry! :(

Okay, I have a few minutes. Let's take a look at what both sides can do practically.

Dalimbar is the Delegate, with the power to eject and ban people. This is Dalimbar's bargaining chip. He can kick out long term members of the community and wipe out many months/years of hard work. However, his power is not unlimited, as he is held back by influence costs. Here in TNP, we are lucky enough to have several people, some of whom were former Delegates, with high influence...high enough that Dalimbar cannot eject everyone he may want to. This is the government's bargaining chip. If it came to shooting, Dalimbar would run out of ammo first. (Funny enough, Dalimbar even wrote an article about how having people with high influence in the region allows for regional stability. Read it here if you'd like.)

In short, it would behoove neither side for this to break out into open battle. Dalimbar would be faced with the prospect of being forcibly usurped, and the Government would be faced with the aftermath of a broken region.

As a sidenote, both sides can use endorsement and unendorsement campaigns as tools to prop up their cause. A high endo count helps build high influence. A high endo count, of course, also gets you that much closer to becoming the Delegate. Conversely, lowering someone's endorsement count lowers their influence and makes it that much easier for you to either catch up to them (if they have a higher endo count) or widen the gap (if they have a lower endo count).

So basically. We had a truce. It existed for several weeks as negotiations went on privately, but the peace that it brought is now threatened by recent actions taken on by Dalimbar, namely: 1) removing the URL to this forum from the WFE, 2) starting an unendorsement campaign against many members of this elected Government, and 3) unilaterally changing forums and instating dictatorial rule. (In fact, the original truce between the two parties stated that the Government would halt the unendorsement campaign against Dalimbar in exchange for his keeping the forum URL in the WFE. Obviously, this stipulation has been broken by Dalimbar, much to our chagrin.)

A few of us still hope for reconciliation. Dalimbar is going to host an IRC meeting tonight for TNP'ers to discuss the relevant issues and come to the table. I invite you to join in on the discussion.

If you have any more questions or if you need someone to guide you through how to set up IRC, feel free to shoot me a PM or ask it here.

Finally, I would add that I find it interesting that there are still endorsements between Chodean Kal and the government. When many seem to be clamoring to remove him, he is still endorsed by Great Bights Mum and he still endorses Haor Chall and others.
Thank you for your questions, Talon.

Quite simply, I'm endorsing Dali's nation because I like him. He knows I want to be the next Delegate. If I'm elected, the ball will be in his court with or without my endorsement.

Back