Ministry Study Commission

In recent months, there have been suggestions and proposals to eliminate or merge certain of the Ministries currently placed in the Cabinet.

There are almost as many opinions about which ministries could or should be merged or consolidated as there are options. Likewise, there are functions exercised within some of these ministries that some would argue should be left to forum administration independent of the Cabinet.

What is missing, however, is a concrete analysis of the different functions these ministries have been charged with and which ones should be in the government at all, and how those functions that should be in government could be organized. Such a overview would contribute immensely towards the discussion and debate in the Regional Assembly concerning whether any current ministries should be changed, merged, consolidated, or abolished, and how functions that should be in the government should be assigned.

There appears to be little debate that the Ministry of Immigration and Internal Affairs, the Ministry of Defense, the Ministry of External Affais and the Attorney General (overseeing the Ministry of Justice) are appropriate and need not be examined as part of this analysis.

However, the other three ministries – the Ministry of Communications, the Ministry of Art and Enterainment, and the Ministry of Culture of Education continue to provoke much debate and discussion. I have concluded that in the long run, the ongoing debate would be well-served if I appoint a commission to study and examine the duties and functions of these three ministries and provide an analysis of their duties and functions. The Ministry Study Commission should lay out the functions these three ministries have exercised in fact (or are directed to exercise in the Constitution or the Legal Code), which of those functions:
  • are actually functions of forum administration and should be returned to the exclusive function of forum administration;
  • are functions that have been and should remain within the government;
  • are functions not currently exercised by these three ministries in particular and that should be placed within the government.
The Commission may suggest alternate ways of organizing the functions that are associated with these three ministries and should remain within the government; however, I recognize that is a matter that may reflect individual opinion, and therefore, that is not a specific charge of the Commission. I request the Commission to file its study within 30 days, at which time I will forward the report, along with my recommendations to the Regional Assembly.

In the meantime, I ask that formal debate on this topic in the Regional Assembly be held in abeyance until this Commission completes its work. At a minimum, this study should provide factual information that should aid the Regional Assembly in its debate.

I am appointing the following as members of the Commission:
  • Heft, a former Minister of Culture and Education;
  • Hersfold, a former Prime Minister, a former Minister of Culture and Education, and root administrator of the official forum;
  • John Ashcroft Land, current Minister of Culture and Education, who has served as Minister of Communication; and
  • North Harmoneia, a former Minister of Communications.
I will participate in the Commission’s work in an ex officio capacity.

The Commission shall select its own chair, and if they wish, they may request a private forum to conduct its work in a manner similar to the Commission on The North Pacific University.

I want to thank the four Commissioners for agreeing to serve on this project, and I have every confidence that they can provide useful study and analysis of the current and proposed functions for these three ministries.

Back