-
-
Pronouns
she/her
TNP Nation
Former English Colony
Discord
Erastide
Voting ends Sat Dec 31 2005. Get your votes in by Friday evening.

Repeal "Save the forests of the World"

A proposal to repeal a previously passed resolution
Category: Repeal
Resolution: #48
Proposed by: Fonzoland

Description: UN Resolution #48: Save the forests of the World (Category: Environmental; Industry Affected: Woodchipping) shall be struck out and rendered null and void.

Argument: The General Assembly of the United Nations,

COMMENDING the assumed intentions of Resolution #48, “Save the forests of the World”;

DEEPLY COMMITTED to guaranteeing the sustainability of the world ecosystem, namely by the preservation of forests; yet

REGRETTING the confusing, discursive and unconstructive nature of said Resolution;

NOTING that it does not mandate or recommend any course of action to further the cause of sustainability, rendering it ineffective;

ACKNOWLEDGING the clear overlap between the assumed intentions of its author and the mandate of Resolution #23, “Replanting Trees”; and

DECLARING that ambiguous and ineffective legislation threatens the credibility of the UN, especially when in duplication of previous legislation;

REPEALS Resolution #48.

This resolution is currently up for vote in the UN.

Please post your views and stance on this resolution below. Note, however, that you must have a UN nation in The North Pacific, or on active NPA duty, in order for the Delegate to count your vote.

As the author of the repeal, I just want to clarify some points:

1. Res #48 does absolutely nothing. It is an essay about:
- All the nasty things that can happen if we cut forests;
- All the wonderful things that would happen if we stopped cutting forests.
Unfortunately, the author forgot the part where he actually tells UN members what to do. As such, this text is not legislation at all; it is, at best, a poorly written introduction to legislation.

2. The intentions of saving forests are enshrined in "Replanting trees" and "Illegal logging"; the intentions of saving endangered species are in "UNCoESB". If Res #48 actually did something, it would be in duplication of those.

3. "Save the forests" is illegal as hell. If it were submitted today, it would be deleted by the mods. It should have been deleted then.

To prove the last point, the official (game mod) view is
Hack:
As it stands, this is an attempt to Repeal a Resolution that violates UN rules.  This isn't an ex post facto application of my ruleset to a preexisting Resolution.  "Save the forests of the World" violated the Enodian laws.  It should never have been allowed on the floor for a vote.

I am available to answer any questions, here or in the jolt forum.

Thanks for posting here, Fonzo. I'll take those comments into account.

Looking at the original resolution, I want to know how that thing passed. The author commits the cardinal sin of speaking in the first person, his spelling is atrocious, and as Fonzo said, it doesn't do anything. In short, it's raising :redflag:'s left and right.

Looking at the repeal, it's quite well written, and I must say you are very good at being diplomatic with your insults. It clearly and succintly says why this resolution is pointless, which is what a repeal should do.

I'm all FOR this one. Nice work.

Fonzo -

As to points #1 and #2: The proposal you're repealing is one of a number that don't do much/anything but are still passed. I agree that it is badly written, however I want to draw everyone's attention to the fact that a proposal can still be excellently written and be just as redundant or off the mark as "Save the forests"

Point #3, to be honest, carries little weight with me: saynig that it SHOULD have been removed because it is illegal doesn't change thef act that it was not removed.

I'm FOR the repeal.

Thank you for your comments and support. It looks like this repeal is going to pass. :)

Voting on this resolution has ended.

Thanks to those nations who cast their votes. Your participation is a great help to the region.

This topic has been locked and sent to the Archives for safekeeping. If you would like this topic to be re-opened for further discussion, please contact the UN Delegate, a Global Moderator, or an Administrator for assistance. Thank you.

Back