Scorch for Justice

Scorch

TNPer
TNP Nation
Destroedor
Discord
scorchns
Hi there. I am Scorch and I have decided to run for Justice again. Besides being the Moderating Justice of a Request for Review, I did not do much individually last term as most individual tasks are assigned to the Chief Justice. However, I was involved in some of the discussion on rule changes and creating a new template for FOI reviews. I have previously served as Minister of Home Affairs, Minister of Communication, and Deputy Attorney General and am currently serving as an Election Commissioner. I am interested in continuing the discussions started last term and hopefully finalizing some of the rule changes discussed last term. If anyone has any questions for me, I will be glad to answer them.

CRaP:
Chapter 2: Requests for Review
5. The Court will endeavor to deliver an opinion answering the request for review within seven days after the end of the period for submitting briefs.
What are your thoughts on this clause of the Court Rules and Procedures? Is there any value to setting a theoretical goal for the court? Or would it be better to just remove this clause entirely since it sets unrealistic expectations for the court?

I personally like that clause and believe we should keep it. I think there is value in setting a theoretical goal for the court. While different r4rs require different amounts of time, I belive that this clause sets a good baseline for the court to try and follow. I also don't believe that this clause sets any unrealistic expectations as the court has delivered an opinion in seven days or less.

Hi there Scorch! I'm glad to see you running for reelection! Just a couple of questions for you.

First, the Penal Code provides sentencing options to the Court, providing for bans/suspension of basic right for either a 'finite amount of time' or 'for whatever duration the court sees fit'. This gives the Court a great amount discretion when it comes to the sentencing of those convicted of crimes. I realize that making changes to the Penal Code falls within the realm of the Regional Assembly, however, what would your opinion be regarding the use of minimum/maximum sentences?

Secondly, aside from what you mentioned in your platform statement, do you have any specific goals for this term if you are elected?

Deropia:
First, the Penal Code provides sentencing options to the Court, providing for bans/suspension of basic right for either a 'finite amount of time' or 'for whatever duration the court sees fit'. This gives the Court a great amount discretion when it comes to the sentencing of those convicted of crimes. I realize that making changes to the Penal Code falls within the realm of the Regional Assembly, however, what would your opinion be regarding the use of minimum/maximum sentences?
I think that they are both crucial to making fair rulings. I view the minimum sentences as baseline sentences. They give the court something to start with and change based on the situation. The maximum sentences are meant to keep the court from handing out absurdly long sentences that are not equivalent to the crime committed.
Deropia:
Secondly, aside from what you mentioned in your platform statement, do you have any specific goals for this term if you are elected?
My goal for this term is to help complete projects started in previous terms. These include rule changes, creating an FOI review template, and organizing the rulings page.

Back