BMWSurfer for Justice

BMWSurfer

Some random groundhog idk
-
TNP Nation
Veniyerris
Discord
BMWSurfer#1965
Hey everyone! I'm running for Justice this term. I am excited to serve my region in a new capacity.

First, a bit about me. I joined NationStates last year, and immediately joined The North Pacific. I was excited to learn government from the biggest region in the game. Along the way, I have met so many fantastic people and learned so much from being here. I have served in every ministry in the executive staff, and I am a Deputy Minister in World Assembly Affairs.

In my role as Deputy Minister, I have reviewed countless proposals. These proposals ranged from controversial abortion proposals, to poorly written trade restrictions, to well-written environmental law. Additionally, I write proposal recommendations, which give WA voters in our region detailed analysis of proposals currently at vote. This role also requires collaboration with other regions on highly sensitive and sometimes controversial proposals.

I wish to uphold the integrity of the courts and bring honesty and clarity to everything I do. I am excited to work with and learn from my fellow court justices, and with my constituents.

Thanks for taking the time to read this, and if you have any questions or concerns, feel free to write them below!

Hey BMWSurfer!

It's great to see a fresh face running for office. You have excelled in World Assembly Affairs and I'm excited to see what you will do as Justice, if elected. My main question to you is: what made you decide to run for Justice?

Thank you for the kind words! I decided to run for Justice because it’s an area that I don’t get to participate in very often, and I am very excited to learn and get to know this side of TNP.

BMW, like Siwale I am happy to see a fresh face running for elected office! I can say that overall, I've been impressed with your critical thinking when it comes to resolution analysis and your ability to write thoughtful IFVs for our World Assembly members in WA Affairs and I believe this should translate well to being a Justice, so I can say that you have earned my support in the upcoming election.

That being said, I do have a couple of questions.

First, the Penal Code provides sentencing options to the Court, providing for bans/suspension of basic right for either a 'finite amount of time' or 'for whatever duration the court sees fit'. This gives the Court a great amount discretion when it comes to the sentencing of those convicted of crimes. I realize that making changes to the Penal Code falls within the realm of the Regional Assembly, however, what would your opinion be regarding the use of minimum/maximum sentences?

Secondly, do you have any specific goals for this term if you are elected?

Thank you for your support!

I believe that maximum sentences are a great way to ensure fairness in the penal system. While I believe that we should put the interests of our region first, I also believe that people can change and that ultra-long sentences are not the way to go in most situations. I don’t have strong feelings on minimum punishments, as long as they are reasonable and fair. I fully support continued discussion on the matter in the regional assembly, and will support any changes to the law that it passes.

I don’t have any specific goals, but as I stated above, I wish to uphold the integrity of the courts and maintain honesty and clarity in all I do.

Back