Request for Review

What law, government policy, or action (taken by a government official) do you request that the Court review?

The decision by the court here

2. What portions of the Constitution, Bill of Rights, Legal Code, or other legal document do you believe has been violated by the above? How so?

The bill of rights of TNP, specifically:

5. All Nations of The North Pacific have the right to be protected against the abuse of powers by any official of a government authority of the region. Any Nation of The North Pacific has the right to request the recall of any official of a government authority of the region in accordance with the Constitution, that is deemed to have participated in such acts.

9. Each Nation in The North Pacific is guaranteed the organization and operation of the governmental authorities of the region on fundamental principles of democracy, accountability, and transparency. No action by the governmental authorities of the region shall deny to any Nation of The North Pacific, due process of law, including prior notice and the opportunity to be heard, nor deny to any Nation of The North Pacific the equal and fair treatment and protection of the provisions of the Constitution. No governmental authority shall have power to adopt or impose an ex post facto law or a bill of attainder as to any act for purposes of criminal proceedings.

11. No governmental authority of the region has the power to suspend or disregard the Constitution or the Legal Code. In the event of an actual emergency, the governmental authorities of the region, with the express consent of the Nations of the region or their representatives, is authorized to act in any reasonable manner that is consistent as practicable with the pertinent provisions of the Constitution.

The Constitution of TNP, specifically:

Article 1. Bill of Rights

1. All nations are guaranteed the rights defined by the Bill of Rights.

Article 5. The Court

1. The Court will try all criminal cases, resolve conflicts or ambiguities in the law, and review the constitutionality of laws or legality of government policies by request of an affected party.
2. The Court will consist of at least three Justices, who will select a Chief Justice among themselves.

The legal code of TNP, specifically:

Section 3.2: Appointment of Hearing Officers

6. If one or more Justice positions are vacant, or any Justice is absent or has recused themselves, the remaining Justices will promptly appoint replacements from among available citizens to participate as temporary Hearing Officers.
7. If all Justices are vacant, absent, or have recused themselves, the Delegate will promptly appoint the needed Hearing Officers from among available citizens with the agreement of the Speaker.
8. Any recusal or absence of a Hearing Officer will be treated as a vacancy.

3. Are there any prior rulings of the Court that support your request for review? Which ones, and how?

yes

here

here

These decisions clearly establish that court decisions are themselves subject to review and clearly establish that the court may not give sua sponte decisions and give standards that must be met for the court to reverse its earlier decisions. The court decision to be reviewed here fails to meet any of the established standards and casually reverses these precedents.

4. Please establish your standing by detailing how you, personally, have been adversely affected. If you are requesting a review of a governmental action, you must include how any rights or freedoms of yours have been violated. If you are submitting this request in your capacity as the Attorney General or their designee, please note that here instead.

The decision I ask the court to review is a dogs breakfast of disregard for the Constitution, the Bill of rights, legal precedent and proper legal procedure. The court is an essential institution in safeguarding the rights of citizens under the Constitution and Bill of Rights. With the court taking the attitude that it is not bound by precedent or proper procedure and that moreover its decisions are entirely out of the scope for review while the court may also decide to hand down sua sponte decisions that are entirely outside the bounds of the legal debate as established by the request for review and any briefs filed my rights under article 9 of the Bill of Rights, specifically those of transparency, accountability and due process are gravely harmed if not nullified as I cannot now turn to the court in any case with confidence that the matter will be treated properly. This is a serious violation of the rights and protections I should enjoy under the Bill of Rights, specifically article 9, and the Constitution, specifically articles 1 and 5.

5. Do you have any further information you wish to submit to the Court with your request?

The earlier decisions of the court I have referred to clearly establish that Justices, and one must assume THO's, are government officials and that court decisions are subject to review.
In apparently overturning its earlier decisions I have referred to the court has egregiously failed to meet the standard for such a reversal it had itself set, there was no request to do so and there were no factual evolutions to necessitate such. The court also completely failed to "explain itself fully" on this reversal of precedent and casually sua sponte reversed its own precedent banning sua sponte reversals.

The court moreover ignored the clear legal requirement in article 5 of the constitution that decisions are given by at least 3 justices (or THO's) and the requirement in section 3.2 of the legal code that any vacancies must be dealt with through prompt appointment of a fresh Justice or THO. This by itself should invalidate the decision to be reviewed here.

In doing the aforementioned the court has effectively cancelled articles 5, 9 and 11 of the Bill of Rights by declaring itself an extraconstitutional dictatorship that can sua sponte hand down decisions not limited by any precedent or legal basis and that it may do so even in the person of a single Justice if it regards appointing THO's to meet the constitutional minimum as inconvenient. This is a grave violation of the Bill of Rights and the constitution and the court should reverse this decision and return to its previous proper precedent.

The court may take the opportunity to further clarify its position on the key legal issues raised here. Last but not least it would be desirable if the court would reopen the request for review improperly decided on or give a new decision on that request as part of its decision in this case.

I will file a further legal brief to explain the positions taken above if the court so requests or any briefs filed by others give reason to do so.

Thank you for your attention, I look forward to a prompt decision.

The Court acknowledges the request. However, given today is Christmas Eve and tomorrow being Christmas Day, a final decision may be delayed. Thank you for your patience.

If it please the Court, I believe recusals of the current judicial roster might be appropriate. This request for review is a response to an R4R that was itself a response to actions taken by the elected Court (ie, accepting an R4R on potentially illegal grounds).

The AG has not had a chance to post in this thread, so I will do so in order that things might not be unduly delayed. The Attorney General's office has unanimously agreed to join this request for review. If there is any question that the petitioner has standing to bring this request, we exercise our right to standing in all matters brought before the Court in order to allow it to proceed.

Speaking as a sole Deputy AG, and not on behalf of the whole office, I agree with Falapatorius that as this review relates to a review that reviews the sitting Court's actions, the Court should recuse itself and allow THOs to be appointed. Additionally, I request that the original Request for Review which prompted the Review whose decision triggered this Review be barred from proceeding until this matter has been resolved.

Edit: Naturally, it is also my stance that none of the THOs who issued the ruling being reviewed should be reappointed to address this request.

I also request that both the sitting justices and all THO's involved in the case resulting in the decision that is the subject of this review recuse themselves as all have a conflict of interest.

Given that this request is asking, in substance, for the recent review to be decided differently and as that review was deciding the legality of the decisions made by a court I was a member of in a request for review, I recuse myself. I will, if my fellow Justices also recuse themselves, notify the Delegate and Speaker of the need for yet further THOs.

Pursuant to law and with the Speaker's approval, I have appointed Owenstacey, Sasten, and Cogoria as Temporary Hearing Officers for the review of this case.

Pallaith:
Pursuant to law and with the Speaker's approval, I have appointed Owenstacey, Sasten, and Cogoria as Temporary Hearing Officers for the review of this case.
I confirm that I approve these appointments.

I ask the Court to consider this ruling in addition to the previous Court rulings cited by the petitioner (as it further clarifies what a government official in TNP is).

Barbarossistan:
In apparently overturning its earlier decisions I have referred to the court has egregiously failed to meet the standard for such a reversal it had itself set, there was no request to do so and there were no factual evolutions to necessitate such. The court also completely failed to "explain itself fully" on this reversal of precedent and casually sua sponte reversed its own precedent banning sua sponte reversals.
With respect to the petitioner, I don't believe the decision reached by the Court on this matter actually does that. If we look closely at the text of the ruling:

Considering the precedent, for instance the ruling on Judicial Recusals as well as the ruling on the Nature of Precedent and the Scope of the Court's Powers, these both make clear (either through actions or words) that the Court is reviewable. This ruling does not change that, it simply re-affirms the high standard for that review being possible.
It appears the Court was upholding precedent as established by the rulings cited in the OP. The decision here maintains that the Court's actions are indeed reviewable, albeit only under exceptional circumstances.

That said, we are left to consider the reasoning for this decision. The action by the elected Court that precipitated these reviews is legally questionable in my opinion. They were asked to review a hypothetical breach of the petitioner's rights as guaranteed by TNP Law. However, the bill was still in the voting phase, hence my calling it a 'hypothetical' breach. Moreover, the bill itself attempted to utilize the emergency provisions as outlined in the Legal Code. Even if the bill did pass, it would still have to survive the Delegate's potential veto. But that is not what this request for review is addressing.

Again, it does appear that precedent was used to justify the Court's decision that is being reviewed here. However, I believe that the actions taken by the elected Court in accepting this request for review easily meets the exceptional circumstances laid out by precedent, and should have been reviewed in full by the THOs hearing the case (rather than using the request to retroactively deny the already accepted request being reviewed).

There is also the question of whether the full Court participated in this decision or not.

I ask the Court to set aside the decision being reviewed here (a non-decision in my opinion), and order a new request with a new slate of THOs. I realize this is getting ridiculous, but I believe it serves the region best to have it's Court be seen to be upholding the laws of the land. Thank you.

The brief of Falapatorius is accepted, however the request to dismiss the case in favour of a new hearing with new Temporary Hearing Officers is not. The court will be proceeding with the request for review brought before us.

Cogoria:
The brief of Falapatorius is accepted, however the request to dismiss the case in favour of a new hearing with new Temporary Hearing Officers is not. The court will be proceeding with the request for review brought before us.

I'm slightly unclear on this point - could the Moderating Justice (Owenstacey) please clarify?

By my reading of falapatorius' brief, he is requesting that the ruling issued by THOs Abbey and Plembobria be set aside by this Court as part of its decision, based on the reasoning he has provided, and that this Court order that a proper response to the request for review that I filed be issued.

The statement above seems to interpret falapatorius' request as asking for this review to be dismissed, and declines to do so. However, based on my understanding of his post, it could also be interpreted as having issued a preemptive statement about what the ruling will be on this request, without having issued the ruling itself.

Thank you!

As a side note, the AG's office will be entering a brief on this request as well.

Silly String:
By my reading of falapatorius' brief, he is requesting that the ruling issued by THOs Abbey and Plembobria be set aside by this Court as part of its decision, based on the reasoning he has provided, and that this Court order that a proper response to the request for review that I filed be issued.
Quite right. My apologies to the Court for the confusion.

The Office of the Attorney General submits the following brief for consideration. In it, we argue that the ruling that was issued in response to the request for review filed by SillyString was out of scope for the request, and was thus not a legal exercise of the Court's powers.

The Court has a great deal of power and discretion. It is granted the authority to decide what is and is not legal and what is and is not law. In theory, it would be exceedingly hard to rein in an out of control Court through the other branches of government without resorting to emergency measures. Luckily, our government officials are generally both reasonable and interested in doing the right thing. Most of the time, when something goes wrong, it is due to a misunderstanding of the law or the principles behind it.

Cognizant of the Court's power, and the potential for misunderstanding its applications, there are a few safeguards that have been put in place during the history of this constitution. These safeguards exist to remind elected justices of the reasonable limits on the exercise of their power - of when they should not act.

The Constitution states:
1. The Court will try all criminal cases, resolve conflicts or ambiguities in the law, and review the constitutionality of laws or legality of government policies by request of an affected party.
Note the key, bolded phrase: by request of an affected party. This limiter serves two functions. First, it restricts who may make a request of the Court, in what we also call "standing". Second, it restricts the Court from issuing a ruling without receiving a request to do so.

Emphasizing this latter point, the Court Rules and Procedures state:
2. Prior decisions made by the Court, regardless of its composition at the time, must continue to be obeyed by the Court and by each individual Justice until and unless their validity is formally overturned in a new request for review.
3. The Court is a reactive body. Without any such request, the Court may not proactively overturn previous rulings.
Both of these clauses build upon the same limiting function that is found in the Constitution, and they have some profound implications for the Court's freedom to act independently. Under these rules, the Court is not permitted to spontaneously overturn a prior ruling it has issued even if it has come to sincerely believe that that ruling violates the law. To provide a hypothetical example, the Court is obliged to deny requests for review submitted by individuals without standing, as defined by the Court's ruling on standing. This is the case even if the justices, individually and collectively, believe that that ruling is flawed and the individual in question should be able to file that particular review. They nevertheless have no choice but to uphold the law as it stands, until and unless a request for review is brought on that point and a new ruling is issued.

Speaking of which, a prior Court ruling (The Nature of Precedent and the Scope of the Court's Powers) states (excerpted):
The Court does not believe, however, that precedent may be overturned sua sponte (unilaterally, at the Court's discretion, without an action being brought), nor do we believe that precedent may be disregarded unless it is conclusively overturned.
The Court may overturn its prior rulings, but must do so in response to a new request as a result of some factual evolution
In other words, prior precedent is binding until it is explicitly overturned, and precedent cannot be overturned (nor, indeed, can any ruling be issued) without a specific request that the Court do so. All three of these excerpts serve to encourage the Court to be cautious about the power it wields and to react specifically to what it is brought, and not to the questions it independently wishes it could answer.

The occurrence of "a request for review in which a petitioner who ought to have standing does not" absolutely does not meet the threshold for the validity of a ruling being formally overturned in a new request for review by the request of an affected party. Similarly, the occurrence of "a request for review of an action taken by the Court" does not meet the threshold for overturning valid and legally binding precedent stating that judicial actions are subject to review just as much as any others. That precedent states:
The Court holds that the Court is obliged to review its own decisions should the need arise (and a proper request be made - arbitrary requests for review every time a new Court is elected are not permissible), as it is responsible for doing with all governmental policies.
Although the request asked the Court to determine the legality of a prior Court action, at no point did it raise the question of whether the Court had the power to do so. Based on the language of the Constitution, and a prior Court ruling upholding that same power, the request as filed took the Court's power as given. If there had existed some question in the THOs' minds as to whether they could legally overturn a decision made by a Justice, the correct response would have been to reject the request for review. By the act of accepting the request, the Court created an understanding - furthered a precedent - that doing so was right and proper. To then turn around and issue a ruling that in fact, Court decisions may not be subject to review, and the accepted request will not be answered, goes against all prior precedent and all logic of how the Court functions.

Moreover, the Court's ability to review judicial actions was raised in one brief, but the standard required for whether the Court can issue a ruling on a particular topic absolutely must be higher than "a brief talked about it." Why? Because briefs can include anything under the sun. There is no vetting process for them, and the Court is generally not permitted to categorically ignore a brief - though it may choose not to address one in its ruling. There is no objections or appeals processes for briefs, to call attention to content that is fundamentally not related to the question(s) raised.

The decision that was issued was as unrelated to the topic the Court was asked to review as a decision on the limits of freedom of speech in TNP law would have been - or as unrelated as actual briefs (as in, the underwear) would have been, a picture of which was actually submitted to the Court in a prior request for review. Merely mentioning a part of the law, merely bringing it up in a brief, does not make that part of the law germane to the request for review. It is incumbent upon the Court to keep such distinctions in mind and not exceed its authority.

In summary, the ruling that is being reviewed in this request was issued sua sponte, not in response to a specific request. It is thus a violation of the law and not a valid, legal use of the Court's power. As it is invalid and illegal, it is not binding and does not serve as a ruling on the request in response to which it was issued.

Accordingly, we ask the Court to rescind that ruling, and to issue a ruling on the original request for review filed by SillyString.

For the courts consideration, a quick brief in response to the briefs filed above.

Was precedent upheld?

While the court in the decision reviewed here acknowledged precedent I do not think it upheld it. The precedents cited by the court and me hold that court decisions are reviewable, indeed that the court is constitutionally obliged to so so. The standard of review only exceptional circumstances isnt set in precedent, it was introduced in the decision to be reviewed here, precedent was overturned in that manner. I think Falapatorius attaches too much meaning to the courts statement acknowledging precedent and ignores that the court effectively set a new, difficult to meet, standard that does not fit with the previous finding that the court is not only allowed but obliged to review its decisions when asked. The court then proceeded to apply its new standard in such an arbitrary manner that it immediately became devoid of substance. Effectively, the court decided that it may choose not to review its decision whenever it so chooses, a decided break with precedent.

Sua Sponte decisions

The ability of the court to only rule on what is brought before it by citizens is an important check on its power. Also, for the court t arrive at well-reasoned decisions it is relevant for the public to be able to debate the topics at hand before the court so the court may more fully understand the relevant issues before deciding, this is impossible with a sua sponte decision. As the AG has pointed out the constitution seeks to prevent the court from ruling outside the bounds of the requests brought before it, it behooves the court to respect this boundary.

Reversal of precedent

For the application of the law to be known and predicable it is important that the court stick to its previous decisions. The court cannot be expected to hold to previous decisions under all circumstances, but the precedent cited in my request provides I believe a workable standard for when and how this may be done, the AG's brief works this out further, I shall not repeat it here.

What is to be done?

I recommend that the court nullifies the decision reviewed here and affirms its precedent on sSua sponte decisions and reversal of precedent, the court may take the opportunity to clarify its standards on these matters. With the current decision nullified the request by Sillystring would remain open and the court would have to decid on it. I do not think a fresh slate of THO's is legally required for that and think the court in its current composition may decide on that request, in conjunction with the decision to be given here. I refer to the briefs filed in that matter for the courts information on the issues.

Thank you for your attention.

SillyString:
Cogoria:

I'm slightly unclear on this point - could the Moderating Justice (Owenstacey) please clarify?

The statement above seems to interpret falapatorius' request as asking for this review to be dismissed, and declines to do so. However, based on my understanding of his post, it could also be interpreted as having issued a preemptive statement about what the ruling will be on this request, without having issued the ruling itself.

Thank you!

As a side note, the AG's office will be entering a brief on this request as well.
After speaking to both of the other THO’s, we have realised that the previous statement by Cogoria was a misinterpretation and is not the concenous view of the THO’s. So to be clear, we are accepting the whole of Falaptorius’ brief and will consider everything mentioned.

Thank you! I appreciate the clarification.

I would like to add some additional thoughts on this matter. I opted not to suggest them for the AG Office brief, as they contain some specific suggestions for the Court on how to proceed that I think would not be entirely appropriate coming from another part of the government. So, please take these ideas as submitted by a private citizen, albeit one with a fair amount of prior legal and legislative experience.

The Court has four options for how to proceed. First, it can choose to uphold the ruling issued by Abbey and Plembobria as legally issued and legally binding, and declare the matter closed. The problems with this potential decision have been laid out, so I will not rehash them, but suffice it to say I think this would definitely be the wrong decision to make.

Second, it can decide that the ruling was legally issued (in other words, in scope, and a valid use of the Court's power), but does not hold up to scrutiny and is therefore overturned. If the Court chooses this path, it will need to make clear, under the terms of the ruling it will be overturning, how it has determined that "exceptional circumstances" have applied. It will also need to decide how to address the request I filed - it can either say that the request was answered and is therefore closed (even though the answer was ultimately thrown out), or it can reopen that inquiry and issue another ruling. Needless to say, I concur with the AG's brief that the ruling was not legally issued, so I do not advise the Court to take this option either.

Third, the Court can decide that the ruling was not legally issued and is therefore not legally binding, and does not answer the question that I posed. I would personally advise the Court, if it takes this option, to additionally take on the responsibility of answering that question itself. Its other options, as I see it, would be to remand the decision back to the original slate of three THOs to decide properly, or to instruct that a third set of THOs be appointed to address the matter. The former is problematic for multiple reasons (one of the THOs went inactive and might be unavailable; no citizen can be forced to serve as a government official so the other two must remain free to decline; and so on), and the latter... well, there is a limit to how many people are interested in being THOs. Having to find a third set is getting pretty extravagant. :P

Fourth, the Court can take the third option, but include in its ruling on this request an updated and expanded explanation for reviewing court actions and decisions. Although this topic was not in scope when the ruling now under review was issued, it has become in scope for this request for two reasons. One, because it is now the topic of the ruling being reviewed, and this allows the court to uphold, overturn, or refine the matter, and two, because it was explicitly brought up by the petitioner, who requested that the Court consider it and rule on it. The Court is of course not required to take this on - just because something is in scope does not mean the Court absolutely must render a decision. It would be just as valid to revoke the most recent ruling, state that the one prior to that stands as-is, and move on.

I cannot offer any guidance to the Court as to whether it should take option three or option four. That decision is entirely up to its members, who must decide for themselves if they think the original ruling offers enough guidance and clarity, or if additional explication is needed.

However, if it decides to render additional guidance on the Court's review of itself, I would like to encourage it to consider the following specific points, which I think are extremely important and which were not adequately considered in the ruling now under review.

1) The first distinction I would like to draw is between court rulings, court decisions, and everything else. For these purposes, I will specifically define "court rulings" as the binding opinions issued by the Court in response to requests for review which get entered into the Court Rulings page under our laws, plus the verdicts and sentences that it issues in a criminal trial. I will also define "court decisions" as all final decisions issued by the Court. This includes court rulings, but also responses to any appeal of an individual justice's actions to the full panel, or the full panel's decision to require a justice to recuse themselves, or anything else which can be said to be rendered by the Court as a body.

"Everything else", then, would include any decision made, or action taken, by an individual Justice that is not adjudicated by the whole body. This could be a Moderating Justice in a trial granting or overruling an objection on certain evidence, or the Chief Justice reorganizing some aspect of the Court, or one Justice accepting or denying a request for review.

As for the point of this distinction, the Court is absolutely right to be extremely cautious when it comes to overturning court rulings, and to be hesitant when overturning court decisions. Ideally, such matters were debated thoroughly by the Court at the time they were rendered, in response to the specific situation that sparked their issuance, and with review of the applicable law at the time. Without good reason to do so, such as compelling evidence that a trial was mishandled, or a clear legal deficiency in a ruling, the Court should default to trying to reconcile a prior ruling or decision with the law and with what is right, and issue a clarification rather than a reversal. This is something the original precedent got right, in my opinion - it should be rare for the officially binding opinion of the Court to be overturned.

However, when it comes to the everything else? That is rightfully an entirely different question. Actions taken by individual justices, taken in their role as elected government officials (or appointed ones, in the case of THOs), do not carry the full force and weight of the Court, nor its power to set binding precedent. Individual justices are not above the law, and their actions and decisions do not deserve special protection from scrutiny any more than any other government official. If a justice has violated the law, either pettily or grossly, the Court is the single body best positioned to correct the situation.

I do not think this distinction was quite adequately made in the original ruling, and it was entirely lost in the one now under review. My request dealt with the specific action of a specific justice, of accepting a request for review contrary to what the law allowed. This is very different than asking the Court to reconsider settled precedent, and ought to be treated differently.

2) The second distinction I would like to draw is that between the standard for review and the standard for reversal.

The standard for review is the hurdles which must be overcome to place a matter before the Court for its consideration. These standards include establishing standing, either as an affected party or as a member of the AG's office; declaring a specific law, policy, or action by a government official as having violated your rights contrary to the law; and following any template established by the Court for submitting requests. It could, hypothetically, include other things - such as being a citizen, which is not a current requirement.

The standard for reversal is one which the Court would apply when considering whether to overturn a prior decision. This could include, for example, determining whether the decision was a valid and legal exercise of the court's powers; whether it aligns with the law and the bill of rights; whether it leaves loopholes open for behavior that ought to be illegal (does it allow a government official to violate someone's rights? Does it allow a citizen to commit a criminal act without repercussions?); whether it clarifies or muddies the legal waters around a particular topic (are people more confused or less about the status of the law?); and so on. (As an aside, I do not think the Court needs to lay out explicit guidelines to create a standard for reversal. Such guidelines would be extremely difficult to prepare adequately, as reversal depends heavily on the specific circumstances that come up. It can more easily advise general caution when deciding whether to do so, much as the original ruling on precedent did.)

I would argue that these two standards must be very different for the Court to function, but the ruling issued by Abbey and Plembobria requires the former to match the latter: "It is the opinion of the Court that the Court's actions in this case are not reviewable. This is because the Court believes that only in exceptional circumstances, in the case of a particularly severe breach, can the Court's actions be reviewed. [...] Requests for review can only be reviewed themselves in exceptional circumstances when all routes of appeal have been exhausted."

This requirement is hugely problematic. By imposing an artificial requirement of "exceptional circumstances" for the Court to even take up a review of its actions, it has simultaneously blocked most possible reviews of its actions (what qualifies as "exceptional circumstances", if a Justice acting illegally does not?) and set precedent that any such reviews that are accepted by definition meet those exceptional circumstances and represent cases where the Court's actions ought to be overturned.

It is wholly inappropriate for any Court to predetermine outcomes for future Courts in such a way. In order to adequately decide if a Justice, or the Court as a whole, has acted inappropriately or made a wrong decision, a sitting Court must be free to consider each request for review on its own merits, to consider briefs made for and against each side, and to review the law as it stands at that time. It also must not treat the members of its own body with any special deference, as they are neither less likely nor less capable of running afoul of the law.

I agree with and support the standard for reversal (of court rulings and decisions, not everything else) being high, as I explained above. But I cannot support the standard for review being any higher than it is now. Did a law, government policy, or action by a government official violate your rights in a specific way? If so, you have the right, as a nation of TNP, to be heard, and to petition for the redress of your grievances.

So, if it chooses to take on this additional question, I would strongly urge the Court to draw the distinctions I have made above when laying out its guidelines.

I hope that these thoughts are helpful for the Court as it deliberates this matter, and I thank the Court for its time.

SillyString:
2) The second distinction I would like to draw is that between the standard for review and the standard for reversal.

The standard for review is the hurdles which must be overcome to place a matter before the Court for its consideration. These standards include establishing standing, either as an affected party or as a member of the AG's office; declaring a specific law, policy, or action by a government official as having violated your rights contrary to the law; and following any template established by the Court for submitting requests. It could, hypothetically, include other things - such as being a citizen, which is not a current requirement.

The standard for reversal is one which the Court would apply when considering whether to overturn a prior decision. This could include, for example, determining whether the decision was a valid and legal exercise of the court's powers; whether it aligns with the law and the bill of rights; whether it leaves loopholes open for behavior that ought to be illegal (does it allow a government official to violate someone's rights? Does it allow a citizen to commit a criminal act without repercussions?); whether it clarifies or muddies the legal waters around a particular topic (are people more confused or less about the status of the law?); and so on. (As an aside, I do not think the Court needs to lay out explicit guidelines to create a standard for reversal. Such guidelines would be extremely difficult to prepare adequately, as reversal depends heavily on the specific circumstances that come up. It can more easily advise general caution when deciding whether to do so, much as the original ruling on precedent did.)

I would argue that these two standards must be very different for the Court to function, but the ruling issued by Abbey and Plembobria requires the former to match the latter: "It is the opinion of the Court that the Court's actions in this case are not reviewable. This is because the Court believes that only in exceptional circumstances, in the case of a particularly severe breach, can the Court's actions be reviewed. [...] Requests for review can only be reviewed themselves in exceptional circumstances when all routes of appeal have been exhausted."

This requirement is hugely problematic. By imposing an artificial requirement of "exceptional circumstances" for the Court to even take up a review of its actions, it has simultaneously blocked most possible reviews of its actions (what qualifies as "exceptional circumstances", if a Justice acting illegally does not?) and set precedent that any such reviews that are accepted by definition meet those exceptional circumstances and represent cases where the Court's actions ought to be overturned.

It is wholly inappropriate for any Court to predetermine outcomes for future Courts in such a way. In order to adequately decide if a Justice, or the Court as a whole, has acted inappropriately or made a wrong decision, a sitting Court must be free to consider each request for review on its own merits, to consider briefs made for and against each side, and to review the law as it stands at that time. It also must not treat the members of its own body with any special deference, as they are neither less likely nor less capable of running afoul of the law.

I agree with and support the standard for reversal (of court rulings and decisions, not everything else) being high, as I explained above. But I cannot support the standard for review being any higher than it is now. Did a law, government policy, or action by a government official violate your rights in a specific way? If so, you have the right, as a nation of TNP, to be heard, and to petition for the redress of your grievances.

I would like to offer brief comments, relating to the quoted passages above from the brief of the Deputy Attorney-General, that will hopefully be of assistance to the Court. I am unlikely to be fully across the entire procedural history of this case and the related ones by the time submissions of briefs close. As such, I will only be able to offer these limited comments for now.

SillyString is correctly submitting that a distinction must be made between the threshold for the Court to review a prior decision, and the threshold required to reverse it. It is obvious that some decisions are capable of being reviewed, yet will ultimately be upheld.

Contrary to SillyString, I am submitting that the Court should be able to decline to reach the question, on the merits, of whether a prior decision ought to be overturned. My reading of SillyString's submission is that, should the Court have the jurisdiction (or 'power') to reverse itself, it must reach the legal question.

A distinction must be made between the powers of the Court under the Constitution -- its maximal capacity to act -- and the circumstances in which it will contemplate exercising those powers. The Procedural Rules are an exampe of a mechanism by which the Court limits how and when it will act.

While I do not see a reason for a particularly high threshold, I do believe that there are cases that the Court would appropriately decline to take-up. The Court should not be expected to endlessly labour to review its past decisions, especially if every such request is likely to require the appointment of temporary hearing officers for its adjudication. While I am not suggesting the Attorney would do so, I believe that they would have standing to seek review of all prior Court decisions.

In effect, I believe, there are four levels of inquiry that a Court must go through should it be asked to reverse a decision. The third and fourth will often run into each other (or even together), or their order reversed, but I am separating them here.

1) Does the Court have the power to overturn its earlier decision?

2) Is the Court willing to take up the case? The Court should exercise its discretion to decline to review a prior decision where, for example, the review is unlikely to have a real and appreciable impact on anyone seeking the review, or if it is an abuse of process, or the Court determines a lack of standing, and so forth. This is a matter for the Court's discretion, and it should be cognisant of the need to balance certainty in the law, judicial efficiency and its institutional integrity on one hand; and the unquestionable right of those who come before it to be able to argue their case.

3) Is the decision issued correct?

4) Are there any considerations that would militate against overturning it? For example, is the decision part of a well-reasoned line of precedent that would be disturbed by overturning it, or does it stand alone and aside? Is there any reliance placed upon the decision? Would overturning it cause any material inconvenience?

I recognise that the latter two questions may be somewhat outside the scope of the challenged decision, but their consideration may assist the Court in this case. I believe that the ultimate question is whether the Court answered the second question correctly.

If it pleases the Court, I would again offer my assistance in resolving this matter through the following brief:

I intend to make submissions in relation to the full range of issues that the Court may grapple with in the course of this review and I apologise to the Court for that, as this brief will likely be quite lengthy.

I will begin with considering the question of whether the most recent review[note]Ruling of the Court on the ability of the Court to review RA proposals[/note] departed from precedent and therefore had to meet the "heightened standard" called for in such a circumstance;[note]Ruling of the Court on the Nature of Precedent and the Scope of the Court's Powers[/note] my submission is that it did not depart from precedent and consequently did not have to meet that standard. In the process of examining that issue I will also make submissions as to how it relates to the task of this Court. I will then move to the question of whether the decision of the Court was sua sponte, contrary to the constitutional requirement for reviews to be on the request of an affected party[note]Constitution of The North Pacific, Article 5, Clause 1[/note] and to the Ruling on Precedent; I will submit that it was not sua sponte. Then I will seek to address the claim that the decision is invalid for having only been joined by two members of the Court as constituted; I will submit that this is not so. After my submissions on those more technical attacks to the decision of the Court, I will move to the broader submission that the Court, simply, was wrong and, indeed, so wrong it must be put right; I will submit that the Court was correct in its holding and that, even if this Court does not think it was, this Court must be very careful in displacing that decision.

My submissions will then turn to the question of what to do if this Court should disagree with my submissions addressing the attacks on the decision of the Court; I will submit, first, that this Court should make no judgement on the issue of whether the original Court (that is to say, the Court dealing with the request made by Lord Ravenclaw) was correct in its decision but should either direct that a new Court of THOs be constituted to decide that matter or that it should be remanded to the Court which made the decision here under challenge with a direction to decide that matter, and second, that if this Court does not do so, that it should decide the original Court was correct in its decision.

I will then, finally, conclude with my submissions as to the proper orders and declarations needed to dispose of this matter.

Now, to my first submissions, on the question of the "heightened standard". The Court in its Ruling on Precedent made it clear that the Court was open to judicial review. It did not, however, accept that this was to be conducted on the same basis as when conducting any other request for review. The Court, in that Ruling, noted that such requests must be "proper" as opposed to "arbitrary", they must be "as a result of some factual evolution" as opposed to "simply a request to "look again"", and the Court must "wherever possible, to act in accordance with precedent" and only depart "after all legal alternatives have been examined"; if it does depart from its precedent, the Court must "explain itself fully".

However, it is my submission that these requirements did not need to be met by the Court in making the decision here challenged, because their decision was not departing from precedent. One must look at the decision reached, for, I am afraid, the petitioner rather seems to mischaracterise it. The petitioner submits that the decision held that the Court was without the scope of judicial review, this is plainly wrong. The decision states plainly that the "actions in this case are not reviewable" (emphasis added), not that Court actions are wholly beyond review. It goes on to refer to the Ruling on Precedent expressly, notes that decision makes clear "the Court is reviewable" and that the challenged decision "does not change that", but, rather, "re-affirms the high standard for that review being possible". These words do not go against those of the Ruling on Precedent but seek to build on it and make clear that it is not acceptable to raise the kinds of "arbitrary" challenges in advance of a final decision so as to escape the "heightened standard" required. I would submit, therefore, that the challenge to the decision on the basis of not abiding by the requirements for overturning precedent is wholly misconceived and must fail, because there was no overturning of precedent.

Moving now to the application of the Ruling on Precedent to this Court's task. I must submit that this request seems to be the epitome of the kind of challenge that the Ruling sought to foreclose. That is to say, a challenge that seeks to succeed by virtue simply of a change in the panel, as the Court in making its ruling was plainly concerned could happen, stating "arbitrary requests for review every time a new Court is elected are not permissible". This request seems to have been lodged in the simple hope that a different panel of THOs would simply reach a different view; the petitioner and the Attorney General (I should say, references to the Attorney General in this brief should, where appropriate, be understood as inclusive of their Deputies) have not even waited for a new Court to be elected and, presumably, should this Court fail to reach the desired result the Attorney General will seek yet another crack of the whip, having already failed to get their way in the original Court and the Court whose decision is presently challenged. This request does not, in any way, "result from some factual evolution", having been filed a mere two days after the challenged decision was made, with no material facts having altered in that period; it could not be more plain that the petitioner and the Attorney General are simply asking the Court to "look again". Thus, I would submit, that this request, not being "proper" and not being the "result [of] some factual evolution" must (save the challenge as to validity) fail in its entirety; the Court cannot permit such a brazen attempt by the petitioner and the Attorney General to abuse the procedures of the Court to get the result they desire, to do so would be a gross departure from the requirements of the Ruling on Precedent which the petitioner and the Attorney General purport to set such stock by and would leave all future proceedings of the Court open to such arbitrary interference.

Further, I submit that the Court must be cognisant of the other requirements of the Ruling on Precedent, should it decide to accept this plainly arbitrary request to look again. The Court must be transparent and explain fully why it has decided it fit to overturn the Ruling on Precedent in order to uphold it; and must have examined all legal alternatives to overturning that Ruling.

Turning to my submissions on the point of sua sponte decisions. I accept that making rulings on the Court's own motion are prohibited by the Constitution, they must be on the request of an affected party. This point is reiterated by the Ruling on Precedent. The petitioner does not make it wholly clear, to myself at least, as to how the challenged decision is on the Court's own motion, however, it seems to me that the petitioner seems to be driving at one of two possibilities. The first is that the Court decided to disregard the Ruling on Precedent and did so without being asked to do so; given my earlier submissions, I do not propose to say more than that the Court could not have disregarded the Ruling sua sponte because it did not disregard it at all. The second is that the Court considered the Ruling on Precedent despite not being asked to do so by the petitioner in that request (the Attorney General) and concluded on the basis of that Ruling that there was no jurisdiction to review the decision in this case. This seems to have more behind it, (though it does not fit all too well with the petitioner's other submissions so may not have been what was meant) however, it too is a flawed analysis.

First, I must submit that, in the context of the Court Rules as they are presently, this analysis would mean that, even where the majority of the Court formed the view that there was no jurisdiction (and therefore without the power of the Court), a single Justice could require the Court to answer question put to it and would prevent the majority of the Court deciding that a matter was without jurisdiction. This is due to the fact that requests for review are open to acceptance by a single Justice[note]Court Rules and Procedures, Chapter 2, Clause 2[/note] (though perhaps the petitioner would have that changed). However, even in a situation where the Court Rules require a majority to accept a request, this analysis could have a similar effect if, in the course of hearing submissions, a majority of the Court were persuaded that it was mistaken to do so. Put simply, the argument made by the petitioner, the Attorney General, and SillyString would lead to the Court being mandated to answer questions which the Court has concluded it legally cannot answer. The Court has not, historically, taken the view that it was bound to provide an answer to all questions asked of it if it concluded that it would be legally incorrect to do so; take, as an example, the Ruling on Endorsement Count Requirements, in which the Court declined to answer a question of the Attorney General which was overbroad.[note]Ruling of the Court on Endorsement Count Requirements and the Solicitation of Endorsements "Endorsing another nation cannot be a crime, as per the bill of rights. "Any thing" is too broad to answer."[/note]

To hold that the Court must answer a question when it has determined that there is no jurisdiction would bind the Court to make illegal decisions and I submit that such a holding must, therefore, be incorrect. The Court must, I submit, consider whether it has the jurisdiction to take an action in order to determine whether it can exercise legally its powers and, should it determine it cannot, it must not; the Court should not be encouraged to be blind to whether it has jurisdiction simply because it has not been expressly asked to do so. If I may go further, I would also note that, if it is the case that the Court is bound to answer the questions it accepts and cannot decide that they should go unanswered because they were mistakenly accepted when there in fact was not jurisdiction, it would seem to follow that the original Court would be barred from concluding, in its final decision, that the matter being reviewed (that is, proposals in the Regional Assembly) are beyond the scope of judicial review.

Second, I would submit that, when deciding any matter, the Court must direct itself to consider jurisdiction and that all requests implicitly include a question as to whether the Court has the power to decide the matter in question. If this is not the case, I must ask the Court as to how a question of jurisdiction would otherwise arise. It would seem that in denying a request for review, the Court makes no official decision on the matter and so cannot make binding determinations of jurisdiction and, in accepting a request, would be barred from considering the matter. Consequently, a binding decision on a matter of jurisdiction would have to result from a hypothetical question put by the Attorney General or from a decision to refuse a request for review being made, appealed and upheld, and then reviewed by a panel of THOs (with the THO panel, and not the elected Court, always being the panel to make the binding decision), neither of which seem the most satisfactory way for the law to develop. Thus, I would submit that the Court ought to find, on one basis or the other, or both, that the decision made was not sua sponte but was properly made on the request put to it.

I shall now move to the issue of the whether the challenged decision was invalid, due to having been made by only two members of the panel (I will refer to members, meaning both Justices and THOs). In respect of this matter, I submit, it is open to the Court to review the decision for compliance on the ordinary basis and that this Court is not bound to follow the "heightened standard" for reviewing earlier decisions, as it is a challenge as to whether or not there is, in fact, a decision. If the Court concludes that the decision was invalidly made, it must be the case that it is set aside, not being a decision of the Court requiring deference.

There has not been much examining this question in the submissions made thus far, save for brief consideration by the petitioner. In short, the Court is composed of at least three members[note]Constitution of The North Pacific, Article 5, Clause 2[/note] (there is no upper limit in the Constitution, however, the Legal Code effectively creates a maximum of three also, by providing only for the election of three)[note]Legal Code of The North Pacific, Chapter 4, Clause 34[/note] and the petitioner's submission is that, as the final decision of the Court in this matter was rendered by two members rather than all three, it was legally invalid. This, I submit, would be a highly unfortunate proposition for the Court to adopt, given the difficulties it would place our judicial system in. To adopt this proposition would be to place all judicial decision making at the mercy of a one member minority, a member who could simply have reduced activity, as here, or who could be deliberately behaving obstinately. Further, it would bring into question a vast swath of our law, all Rulings made by only two members would be rendered of questionable validity as would any ruling which relied on their precedents, introducing significant legal uncertainty on a number of important questions.[note]Rulings made by two members include: On the Scope of Clause 9 of the Bill of Rights; On the Vice Delegate's Voting Rights within the Security Council; On the Jurisdiction of the Criminal Code; On the Speaker's Powers to Restrict the Format of Votes; On Leaving a Candidates Name off the Ballot; On the Duty to Disclose Exculpatory Evidence; On Oath Violations by Former Members of the Regional Assembly; On WA Nation Disclosure Requirements; On Right against Self Incrimination; On the Speaker's Power to End Debate; On Vice Delegate Succession to the Delegacy; On the Powers of Election Commissioners; and, On the Suppression of Posts on the Regional Message Board (though maybe this one we would be glad to lose)[/note] These are plainly undesirably outcomes and can be avoided by an alternative conclusion, that a Court must consist of three members but that a majority of them may act as the whole. If that interpretation is adopted then legal certainty will be preserved and the Court will not be at risk of being held to ransom by a single member. I submit that that alternate interpretation is the course that the Court ought to take and that, consequently, the challenged decision was a valid decision of the Court.

Now, should the Court determine that the challenged decision was valid and was not sua sponte nor contrary to precedent and that this present challenge is not barred by the requirements for a request to overturn precedent to result from a factual evolution and not be arbitrary, the Court will need to turn to the question of whether the challenged decision was so wrong as to require displacement. Now, entering into this analysis, I must remind the Court of the "heightened standard" to which it must hold itself: it must "wherever possible [...] act in accordance with precedent"; depart only "after all legal alternatives have been examined"; and, if departing, "explain itself fully".

Turning again to the actual decision challenged, what do we find. We find that the Court is of the view that there was no challenge open "in this case". The reasons given for this are, I submit, powerful ones. There is evident concern for the need ensure that the system of justice in TNP functions properly and to avoid the risk of processes being abuses so as to impede it.

Firstly, it must be recognised that we have no true appellate structure in TNP (there are appeals of some single justice decisions to the full court, but they stem, in the main, from the Court Rules and remain internal to the Court, rather than being considered by a separate appellate tribunal), one Court in judicial review is the same as any other and cannot claim superiority or finality, so requests for review could continue effectively indefinitely. This leads to situations such as the present, where a decision of the original court was made, reconsidered and maintained, reviewed and upheld, and is now being reviewed again, all notionally at the same level. There is no compelling cut off point other than at the source and the alternative to such a cut off is for decisions to be endlessly reviewable; a particular concern where one has an Attorney General seeking a particular result and able to use their inherent standing to seek new panels of THOs until they get the result they think fit.

Secondly, the system for judicial recusals in TNP presents a linked problem in this context, there are, in the grand scheme of things, relatively few people in TNP who have such care for legal matters that they will serve as THOs. This will inevitably lead to practical difficulties if this sort of potentially endless sequence of reviews is permitted, as we will run out of THOs, leading to reviews which are, in essence, impossible to answer, due to a lack of a panel to answer them. The difficulty this presents to the effective administration of justice is obvious.

There are, I submit, further reasons to be considered also. The need for the speedy resolution of reviews must be considered also, for even if this sequence does not continue forever, it should not be forgot that in this present matter a notional actual emergency has went unaddressed for well over a month and in other cases the rights of residents could be left in a state of violation while sequences of ancillary reviews are dealt with. The need to uphold the main constitutional scheme that has been prescribed by the Assembly, of an elected Court as the primary arbiter of legal disputes with THOs only where absolutely necessary, not one of sequences of THOs being went through until a party gets the decision it wants. The need, put plainly, for the Court's processes not to be reduced to farce whenever a decision is made with which the Attorney General disagrees.

It is clear also, I would submit, that these concerns were in the minds of the Court in its Ruling on Precedent, when warning of the need to prevent arbitrary requests whenever a new Court came into being. While it is not strictly determinative of this point and the challenged decision does build on it, the concerns evident in this Ruling are instructive. I submit that the Court should not encourage parties to get around the "heightened standard" which exists for final decisions by providing a lower standard for challenging the preliminary decisions. To do so, I suggest, would risk opening the floodgates to meritless challenges made by parties subject to review in order to try and prevent a final resolution against them which would be more difficult to challenge.

For all those reasons, I submit, the challenged decision was correct and should not be displaced by this Court. Further, I suggest that the Court should be slow, in the face of such reasons, to conclude that it is possessed of higher wisdom than the panel in the challenged decision and must act, as the Ruling on Precedent implores, with respect and deference to the law as established and not overturn it simply due to a difference of opinions. Only if the Court is of the view that there is no alternative to overturning that decision can it set it aside and, in this case, it is clear that the challenged decision is a reasonable alternative to the course proposed by the petitioner and, therefore, it must be followed.

However, should the Court disagree with me and conclude that the technical attacks or the substantive attacks succeed, it will be necessary to consider the question of what to do in terms of the question put to the panel that made the challenged decision. There are three courses open to the Court: the Court could order that yet another Court of THOs be constituted to consider that matter; that the matter be remanded back the panel that made the challenged decision; or it could decide the matter itself.

The first of these has, I submit, some obvious difficulties. It would be the third panel of THOs convened on this matter and, depending on the view taken on COIs, a relatively large proportion of the population that would be interested in serving as a THO can already be counted out of taking part in such an exercise. It would waste yet more time and would add further to the ongoing farce that has been this litigation. For those reasons, I submit, this course is not ideal, however, I would suggest that it is a better one to take that of this Court deciding this issue as well, for reasons I will reach shortly.

The second has difficulties also. The Court will be aware that one of the members of the panel in the challenged decision became inactive and, presumably, may continue to be so. Further, some of the panel may not wish to return to this matter, given all that has went on. However, I would submit that this is the best of the three courses available, all the members of that panel have served as Justices and have demonstrated plainly that they will serve as THOs, they have also had the benefit of submissions on the actual question of whether the original Court was correct or not.

By contrast, in connection with the third option, this Court has heard submissions focused on the question of precedent and of sua sponte decision making and will, I should imagine, spend much of its time on those questions. They should not be allowed to distract from the question of the correctness of the decision of the original Court or get less consideration due to all of these ancillary matters. For that reason, I submit, this Court should not take the task upon itself to have to manage all of these complex issues at once, but, more properly, ought to remand the matter to the panel that made the challenged decision or direct that a fresh hearing before a third panel is needed.

If, however, the Court should disagree with my on that point also, I will make submissions (or, rather, repeat my submissions from before the challenged panel) relating to the question of whether the original court was correct.

I will start by addressing, together, government policies or actions. The Attorney General submits that the Court was not reviewing a government policy or action. In making this submission, reference is made to the ruling on Standing[note]Ruling of the Court on Standing and the Definition of Affected Party[/note] noting that matters being debated in the Regional Assembly are not identified in the ruling, which I accept. However, it is notable that the Ruling is not exhaustive in identifying the areas where judicial review can be engaged, for instance, it identifies policies of the executive and judicial branches of government, not the legislative, and presumably thereby excludes the Speaker's policies from the scope of judicial review, yet the Court has, in fact, reviewed the policies of the Speaker[note]Ruling of the Court on the Speaker's Powers to Restrict the Format of Votes; "The Speaker by making these policies was within their powers as laid out by the Constitution and not in violation of the Bill of Rights"[/note]; and, further, I submit that the analysis that only policies of the executive and judicial organs of government can be reviewed cannot be exhaustive as it would serve to wholly exclude the policies of the Security Council from the scrutiny of the Court, as the Court has held the Security Council to be without the executive branch,[note]Ruling of the Court on Content Ownership and Freedom of Information Requests against the Security Council; "Given that the Chair of the Security Council holds that power only in the absence of holding executive authority, the Court opines that the Security Council is not categorized under the Executive Branch."[/note] which cannot be in line with the guarantee to all nations that "[n]o governmental authority of the region has the power to suspend or disregard the Constitution or the Legal Code"[note]The Bill of Rights for all Nations of The North Pacific, clause 11[/note]. It is also to be noted that, in relation to action or inaction of governmental bodies, the Court did not claim to limit those bodies just to the executive or judicial, nor does the Constitution set any such limit (indeed, the strict words of the Constitution do not include actions at all). Additionally, if I may, I would suggest that, in respect of Section 9.1,[note]Legal Code of The North Pacific, Section 9.1[/note] the ruling of the Court on Standing cannot have been expected to cover policies made by the Assembly under it as Section 9.1 only entered into law in May of 2015[note]Emergency Law Bill passed by the Assembly; presented to the Delegate; signed by the Delegate[/note]

Now, I submit that the motions in question would amount to policies made by the Regional Assembly. Further, I submit that the Regional Assembly is a government body and that, consequently, were it to adopt those policies, those policies would be government policies. I accept that the Assembly is a legislative body, not a judicial or executive one, however, I submit that this does not mean its policies are beyond the scope of judicial review; as I have noted, judicial review can extend to the policies of legislative officials, in the form of the Speaker, and I do suggest that the Court in its ruling on Standing was not exhaustive or else has barred judicial review of the Security Council's policies also. It is suggested by the Attorney General that the fact that the motion is proposed by someone other than a government official means that it is not government policy, with respect to the Attorney General, I must disagree, a policy adopted by a government body such as the Regional Assembly is a government policy and reviewable as such.

In the alternative, I would submit that the Regional Assembly, were it to exercise its power under Section 9.1, would be taking a government action. In respect of actions, I note again that there is no differentiation with respect to the nature of the body exercising the power in the Ruling on Standing, so even if the Court disagrees on the point of legislative policy being within scope, there is nothing in the ruling to say that legislative action is without judicial review. Consequently, as an action by a government body the motion is open to review.

I should note, in my submissions to this point I stated that "were" the Assembly to adopt the policies or take the action they would be open to review, this is not to say that because they have not yet been so adopted or taken that they are not reviewable. To accept that proposition would be to accept that the Court is incapable of restraining government bodies or officials from making illegal policies or taking illegal actions, which, I submit, would be an incorrect course for the Court to take. Were a citizen to submit to the Court evidence that the Delegate proposes to and will illegally eject them from the region, the Court ought not simply sit back and accept that such can be done, permitting a violation of the rights of the citizen; it is open to the Court to restrain government officials and bodies from making illegal policies or taking illegal actions in order to better secure the rights guaranteed to nations (particularly in cases where the violation cannot easily been done, in view of the lack of any possibility for restoration through some mechanism such as damages, in contrast to the position one might find RL).

Now, on this point, the Constitution is slightly unclear as to whether the policies which the Court is to review are to be extant policies only or whether they can include prospective policies and the Court in its ruling on Standing appears to have missed the possibility of the need to restrain future policies or action, however, again, I stress my submission that the ruling on Standing is not exhaustive of the scenarios in which judicial review exists and that there are strong policy reasons for holding that prospective policy or action is amenable to review; indeed, I would go further and submit that there is justification in the Bill of Rights for such action in order to vindicate the right of nations to be protected against the abuse of powers[note]The Bill of Rights for all Nations of The North Pacific, clause 5[/note]. I would submit to the Court that the proper holding is that request regarding prospective policies or actions are permissible and do not, necessarily, fail, but that the requirement identified in the Ruling on Standing that there must be a clear connection with the matter complained of and the affect on them must be stressed and that it must be recognised that prospective events are less certain and therefore less likely to demonstrate a clear connection.

Moving now to the issue of laws passed by the Regional Assembly. It is submitted by the Attorney General that the Court was not exercising its function in relation to laws in terms of reviewing their Constitutionality or conflicts or ambiguity in them, it is my submission that the Attorney General is incorrect in this. The request for review that the Court accepted clearly raised issues with respect to the constitutionality of Section 9.1, in relation to the propriety of the majority it requires, on the face of the request, in the portion dealing with prior rulings.[note]Request for Review made by Lord Ravenclaw; "I would argue that in order for this proposal to legally able to force resident nations who happen to meet the specific criteria as stated, it would need to be treated by the Speaker as a law that requires equal standing to the Bill of Rights and would require a 3/4ths Majority of the Regional Assembly to enact (Article 9, Clause 2 of the Constitution). I would note that at the time of writing, this was being pushed as an Emergency Situation and requires a simple majority vote."[/note] Further, I would submit that the view stated by the Attorney General is overly simplistic in terms of how requests for review must be considered. The Attorney General submits that the request relates only to the motion and does not request any review of constitutionality or consideration of ambiguity in relation to Section 9.1 (though, as I have noted, the request does, in fact, raise the issue of constitutionality directly); it is my submission that in order to determine the validity of the motion it is absolutely necessary for the Court to consider ancillary questions relating to the constitutional scope of the Section 9.1 power, such as the meaning of "actual emergency" and the nature of what constitutes "express consent", for how else could the Court determine what would be a valid exercise of the power, and that where the Court is requested to answer a question which has, ancillary to it, such questions of constitutionality and interpretation, it is proper for the Court to regard the question put to it as encompassing those ancillary questions which need to be answered to resolve the main question. I would further submit, on this point, that the Court ought not, for practical reasons, follow the restrictive course of the Attorney General, as in TNP we cannot expect particular legal knowledge as to how a person ought correctly state their questions so as to encompass all they wish to encompass; knowledge of TNP's legal system is often lacking, particularly so in newer residents, and, unlike in other legal systems, we do not enjoy formal provision of legal advice or representation to make up for that lack of knowledge, and residents should not be punished for that, rather, the Court should be able to put its knowledge to use so as to support residents seeking to vindicate their rights.

In respect of answering questions as to the constitutionality and interpretation of the scope of a law, I would repeat my submissions in respect of prospective breach and put to the Court that, where there is a prospective breach capable of demonstrating a clear connection between it and the extant law, there is no principled reason why the Court should require a nation to have their rights injured, rather the Court should and can seek to restrain such breaches from occurring.

Now, in view of all my submissions, I make the following submissions in terms of declarations and orders which ought to be made by the Court. The Court ought to dismiss this request for review and declare that the challenged decision was a properly made decision of the Court which cannot be impugned for having been made by two members of the panel; and it ought to declare that the remaining challenges to the decision must fail as being arbitrary and not resulting from a factual evolution. In the alternative, should the Court disagree with me and determine that one or the other of the attacks succeed, I submit that the Court should declare fully the reasons for doing so (in accordance with the requirements of the Ruling on Precedent); and should either order the matter be remanded to the panel that made the challenged decision or to a third panel or declare that the decision of the original Court was correct.

The brief submission period has ended. The Court is deliberating and will issue its ruling within seven days.

The Attorney General's office concurs with Zyvetskistaahn on the question of whether two members of the Court is sufficient to render a ruling. Precedent and law on this concur: as long as all three seats are filled, only a majority (2 of 3) is required to sign off on a decision, except when a unanimous decision is explicitly required (as in declaring someone in contempt of court).

We dissent from every other aspect of his brief.

Additionally, I would like to request that the Court disregard the paragraphs of Zyvetskistaahn's brief relating to the merits of the original request for review that I filed. This particular review deals only with the specific ruling that was issued by Abbey and Plembobria, and it is my strongly held legal opinion that the Court should answer only that within its decision here.

If it decides to take up the original question I asked (or remand it to another set of THOs, or to the original set), any proper decision should be published within that review thread, and any further briefs, if allowed, should be submitted there.

Edit: Apologies, I was typing while Sasten was posting.

Sasten:
The brief submission period has ended. The Court is deliberating and will issue its ruling within seven days.
Is there any update on this? It's been nine days now.

[Note: this message is not in my capacity as AG]

I concur with the responses above mine. It's been two weeks now.

I'd also like to add that I am perfectly willing to entertain a motion to the RA to recall the current slate of THOs (who are government officials, mind) if they continue failing to respond to basic requests for updates.

Apologise, the THOs have been drafting rulings however due to RL constraints on time there have been delays.

Cogoria:
Apologise, the THOs have been drafting rulings however due to RL constraints on time there have been delays.
Thank you for the update. Any estimate how long it will be until a ruling?

It would be beyond absurd for TNP to have to recall THO's. That having been said, if a ruling isn't posted by noon Eastern Standard Time on Monday the 22nd I will go to the RA. If this doesn't light a fire of some sort under the THO's then frankly I don't know what will.

As is the bane for most online activity real life is to blame. While a general consensus seems to have been reached by the THOs the delicate matters of wording a ruling have been slowed by both real life and the complexity of the issue before us.

Clean Land, did you ever consider the possibility that you would play exactly into the plan? Anyways, we need to get this matryoshka doll of R4Rs cleared up. We're already more than a month past the end date of the proposed emergency motion that started all of this.

Sil Dorsett:
Clean Land, did you ever consider the possibility that you would play exactly into the plan? Anyways, we need to get this matryoshka doll of R4Rs cleared up. We're already more than a month past the end date of the proposed emergency motion that started all of this.
My nefarious plan of getting this all resolved and over with is proceeding exactly has I have foreseen.

To the Court: understanding that RL issues come up, do you have anything resembling an accurate timeline on this?

Is there any update on the decision or a date we can expect the opinion to be published?

Considering the fact that Owenstacey has vacated their office by failing to log in, that seems unlikely. If the Court needs a replacement I volunteer as tribute.

Given Owenstacey's failure to log in after a long period of time and thus vacating their position as THO i will be appointing Sil Dorsett as his replacement pursuant to law and with the Speaker's approval.

Gladio:
Given Owenstacey's failure to log in after a long period of time and thus vacating their position as THO i will be appointing Sil Dorsett as his replacement pursuant to law and with the Speaker's approval.
I confirm my approval of this appointment.

Back