Introducing the TNP Pocket Constitution

Discord
COE#7110
THE DISCLAIMER

We have been advised that promoting this project on the NationStates site is a violation of NS rules and could get us all in trouble. DO NOT MENTION A WORD OF THIS PROJECT ON THE NS WEB SITE. That means do not discuss this Kickstarter or the pocket constitution on the RMB, through telegram, on the on-site NS forums, in customized nation fields, or in polls, WFEs, etc. This will be promoted and discussed entirely through Discord and off-site forums.

THE LINK

The Kickstarter is live. Go get your rewards and support the dissemination of TNP Democracy!

THE IDEA

Democracy Day is on July 7th, and the Culture Ministry of TNP plans to produce hard-copy booklets containing the TNP Consitution and Bill of Rights, and then offer to mail them anywhere in the world for free.

Costs are still not finalized, but we expect we will be able to produce 100 of these booklets for around $0.68 per unit, and can have the whole order shipped to us from the print shop for between $10 and $20. We will then need to purchase envelopes and stamps to send them to everyone who requests one, which will cost between $0.61 and $1.30 depending on whether the address is outside the United States. Altogether, we're looking at an average of about $1.65 per unit, plus the shipping costs to get them to us. Add in Kickstarter's fees and the cost of producing backer rewards, and we're looking at $225.

Because this is the first year we are doing this, we are not sure what to expect in terms of demand. We are tentatively planning on producing 100 units, counting on widespread reluctance among our residents to provide their addresses, even anonymously. However, if demand exceeds our expectations, we are going to do our best to fill as many orders as we can.The more you contribute, the more likely we will be able to fill 100% of all requests. Any proceeds above and beyond our costs will go towards funding the 2018 Pocket Constitution project. If that project doesn't come to pass, then the money will go to other TNP-related endeavors.

THE PRODUCT

The standard pocket constitution will be a 3.5"x5" saddle stiched booklet, and the cover will be printed on the same paper as the interior. The booklet will contain only the text of the Constitution and the Bill of Rights, as of June 1. All kickstarter backers will receive a special edition with a card stock cover and a message of thanks on the back.

STRETCH GOALS

1. $250 - Extra Pages

For an extra $25, we can include four or eight extra pages in the standard booklet, as well as all Kickstarter rewards. This content is still to-be-determined, but it could include a forward by the delegate, a message from the principal authors of the current constitution, instructions for how to get involved in TNP, promotion of the WA development program, etc.

2. $300 - Card stock cover

If we reach $300, we can afford to add a card stock cover to the standard edition that all interested residents will receive. While a bit pricier, this cover adds a nice professional touch that will make the booklet last much longer.

All this was basically copied and pasted from the Kickstarter, which I encourage anyone and everyone to contribute to. We have some cool backer rewards, including a personalized edition of the pocket constitution with your name on it, a paperback version that also includes the Legal Code, and a bigger book that has all of our legal documents in it, including RA procedures, Court rules, SC procedures, and all active treaties!

Feel free to ask questions about the project here, or make comments on the Kickstarter page! The rest of the Culture Ministry and I are very excited about this project, and hope to make it a yearly Democracy Day tradition. :)

That's a really cool idea. :)

On a totally unrelated note, I've never wanted to change the Constitution of TNP more than I want to now. :P

Praetor:
That's a really cool idea. :)

On a totally unrelated note, I've never wanted to change the Constitution of TNP more than I want to now. :P
That's okay! We assume it will be different by this time next year, and we'll print a second edition. :P

Also...

79af6b3bc5b23131ace1d835c402fa444ebd7cfc574c6b040665280337e74d7e.jpg

Wow! After only a day, we're already 90% of the way to our base goal, and 2/3 of the way to our top stretch goal!

Remember, anything above the costs will be either set aside to make next year's edition even better, or contributed to TNP's ongoing hosting/etc costs - so every donation counts!

Update: we have met our initial funding goal of $225, and our first stretch goal of $250, which adds pages to the booklet for extra content! Remember that we don't have any idea how many requests we're going to get for the free booklets, so the more we raise, the more likely it is that we'll be able to fulfill every request for a booklet. Thanks to all the backers so far!

So, having met the goal of adding extra pages to the printed document, what do y'all want to see?

The Flemingovian Constitution as an appendix?

A proclamation or statement from the delegate?

A short essay about the history of the constibillocode from someone like Elu?

A funny picture?

An ad for the WADP?

Talk to me!!

SillyString:
The Flemingovian Constitution as an appendix?

A proclamation or statement from the delegate?

A short essay about the history of the constibillocode from someone like Elu?

A funny picture?

An ad for the WADP?
1. Yes.

2. Yes.

3. Yes. Make this and the delegate statement part of the foreword or something, I suggest.

4. Ehhhh...nah.

5. No. Those can be spread with a few clicks. Less expensive. :P

We could add in, for historical interest, the original constitution. Of course, then each copy would need to run to eight volumes - seven, if we cut out the footnotes.

I think the flemingovian constitution might make a better insert, like a small reference card.

EDIT: you could keep it in your wallet for easy consultation.

Are there any old TNP mottos or quotes gathering dust somewhere? I thought it might be cool to sprinkle them around some of the pages.

We met our final stretch goal! This means all copies of the pocket constitution will have glossy, card-stock covers, as well as 4 additional pages with TBD content! :w00t:

At this point, additional money we raise will go toward printing more copies for TNPers, if demand warrants, or making next year's edition even better!

Y'all rock. Don't stop now!

How about....

Title page, including the coat of arms of TNP
An opening welcome by the Delegate
An introduction by the Minister of Culture?
The Bill of rights
The Constitution
(Other laws and treaties currently in place)
Appendix 1: the history of the constitution of TNP
Appendix 2: The Flemingovian constitution
Appendix 3: A list of the delegates of TNP.

There are five hours left in the Kickstarter - last chance to get in on some of these awesome rewards! If you pledge $15 or more, you can get a paperback book that literally says "The Constibillocode" on the cover. Just saying.

Back