-
TNP Nation
sil_dorsett
Discord
sildorsett
mowa_seal.png

January 2017 Opening Address

Greetings!

As your new Minister of World Assembly Affairs, I'd like to take a moment to say a few words of thanks and to share a couple ideas for the coming term.

I'd like to start off by thanking our Delegate, Plembobria, for giving me this opportunity to serve The North Pacific in a greater capacity than I had before. I look forward to working towards our shared goals for the ministry and make them a reality.

As you may have heard by now, Minister Pallaith has ascended to be Speaker of the Regional Assembly, and Deputy Minister Abbey has become a Forum Administrator! I wish them both congratulations and best of luck in their new roles. The experience and guidance that they both have passed on to me over the past four months has been priceless, and I can only hope to carry on their legacy. Thank you, Pallaith and Abbey, for all you have done!

The foundation that past ministers have laid is solid, and I do not expect that there will be many shifts in policies or procedures, but there are a couple new goals I have in mind:

1. Greater involvement in the General Assembly
Since the start of September, there have been eight successful resolutions (including repeals), authored by three nations. I would like to see some new faces up on the board. I encourage not only all WA staff, but all nations in TNP to take advantage of the World Assembly Legislative League to draft new, unique resolutions. Come up with new ideas, things the GA hasn't thought of yet. We've heard enough about nukes!

If you're a roleplayer, think about our efforts with the Association of Nations and other multinational alliances. Could anything there translate into a World Assembly resolution? Bring it to the WALL, and let's make it work!

2. More opinions in voting threads
Drafting recommendations that go out to more than 1500 nations in The North Pacific can be a surprisingly challenging effort. To make this easier, I would like to see more opinions and analysis posted with votes in the WA voting threads. When you cast your vote, let the region know your what's on your mind and why the resolution is or isn't good. I will try to facilitate this by opening voting threads sooner and posting their links on Discord, though we know sometimes a proposal can slip through and reach quorum quickly. Be vigilant, and don't be afraid to go over me to get a thread posted, especially close to the minor update when I'm not around.

3. Engage the gameside-only community
I also want to bring more opinions to the forum by posting voting thread notifications on the regional message board, and encouraging those who have been sticking to just the NationStates site to come onto our forum and get involved. Using the voting threads as an icebreaker I feel will lead to more involvement in the rest of our community. Once new members see the impact they have on the WA vote, they'll be sure to stay!

I look forward to working with you all to accomplish our goals and support Plembobria and his Government. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to send me a PM on the forum or a DM on Discord. Let's make the most of the next four months and beyond!

-Sil

I wish you the best of fortune in the upcoming term and I am sure you'll do great things for the ministry! :D

Back