Praetor for Delegate

Praetor

Hoppin' Around
TNP Nation
Praeceps
Discord
Praetor#6889
Greetings everyone, I, Praetor am running for the position of Delegate of TNP.

I don't expect many of you to know me, in fact I don't really expect any of you to know me. I just joined NationStates in the beginning of February and joined these forums a while after.

It may seems absurd that I am running considering my (lack of) background here. However, I believe that we can not have a democratic region with only one candidate, as nominations may no longer open I'm going to give it a go. I've been trying to get involved in TNP for a while now but it hasn't been working so here I go.

I hope a fresh face can bring a new perspective and change for the better in various areas. Although I doubt I'll win or even get any votes I hope that perhaps my ideas may have some impact on the future.

The acceptance of Executive Staff into TNP can be approved significantly. There are individuals who have been waiting weeks to get accepted into the Executive Staff. This is way too long, it should take a week maximum for acceptance. I will mandate that barring exceptional circumstances Executive Staff are processed more quickly by either the Minister or a deputy. Each Ministry should have its own thread for executive staff applications in their respective ministry asking more questions to applicants. While it is great to know the previous experience that someone may have had there are other questions that can be asked to better determine how they may fit into the Ministry.

I would follow Tomb's suggestion. Communications will merge into Foreign Affairs, both of the Ministries suffer from a lack of activity. TNL would now focus as a report on TNP's domestic affairs to be published to our allies. Checking some of the regions that we have embassies with there haven't been any posts for a while. I hope that combining these two ministries together will increase their activity.

Renaming the Ministry of Home Affairs to better reflect their tasks. Integration would need to actively search out new members of TNP and individually encourage them to join the forums and become involved. The Ministry of Integration would also be tasked to survey nations that have left to find out why and make recommendations on how to address these reasons.

Culture and Entertainment and Education combined into one ministry would be placed in charge of most of the domestic matters in TNP unrelated to the game side. The vast majority of regions have RP as well, the only thing that really differentiates us from this is the number we have and the activity in our RP. I hope that other larger forum games (like Mafia) and activities can be introduced by the Ministry to help separate us from other regions. The Ministry would also be able to create regional polls to spark discussion on the RMB and get involved in it.

I will defer to the Security Council first for proposals in the Security Council. If no recommendation is made, I will follow the recommendation of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. Finally, if they all find the vote to be of importance I will follow the forum vote. Proposals in the General Assembly will be voted on always according to the forum vote. I usually am online at time proposals. Due to the sheer number of endorsements the delegate holds they have a large chance of influencing the vote if they vote early. As such, the threads that we currently use to discuss and vote would need to be created earlier. Once a proposal reaches quorum or looks as though it will be a thread would be created so that we may begin discussions and vote on how we intend to.

Thanks for reading and I'm open to answering any questions. :tnp:

Thank you for the platform and the willingness to run.

But, as I noted in the other new-nation-running-for-Delegate thread, I can't justify voting for anyone that has not taken the time to work within the system first before seeking the Delegacy.

Thanks for putting together this campaign. It is certainly a lot better than what we see from first time candidates who have only just joined the forum. Whatever happens in the election, I hope you hang around and continue to contribute here.

Thank for you posting what was a wholly positive campaign for the office.

I do have some questions: Why defer to the Security Council for the WA votes? I'd like to hear why as normally they (The WASC) deal with Foreign Affairs first and foremost and there is very little chance of something in the WA affecting our security in a big way.

A really big issue with integration of any kind is staffing and the need for experienced people to oversee them. It does take time to train people, so how will you work to ensure we do have a new generation of trained players for this area?

Finally, if not elected would you accept a cabinet position or work with whoever is?

Gracius Maximus:
Thank you for the platform and the willingness to run.

But, as I noted in the other new-nation-running-for-Delegate thread, I can't justify voting for anyone that has not taken the time to work within the system first before seeking the Delegacy.
That is fair enough. I have tried to work within the system to no avail however and I would prefer to be judged on the content of the campaign.

That being said, I understand your reasoning.
mcmasterdonia:
Thanks for putting together this campaign. It is certainly a lot better than what we see from first time candidates who have only just joined the forum. Whatever happens in the election, I hope you hang around and continue to contribute here.
Thanks, I appreciate it.
Lord Ravenclaw:
Thank for you posting what was a wholly positive campaign for the office.

I do have some questions: Why defer to the Security Council for the WA votes? I'd like to hear why as normally they (The WASC) deal with Foreign Affairs first and foremost and there is very little chance of something in the WA affecting our security in a big way.

A really big issue with integration of any kind is staffing and the need for experienced people to oversee them. It does take time to train people, so how will you work to ensure we do have a new generation of trained players for this area?

Finally, if not elected would you accept a cabinet position or work with whoever is?
The Security Council (from my perspective) seems to be the highest body in TNP responsible for security. I agree that there is little chance of any proposals affecting our security (can't think of any of the top of my head) but if there were to be any I would like to be able to justify following their recommendation over that of Foreign Affairs if they were to differ. I know recently there have been a few issues over how the delegate votes in the Security Council, I would want to avoid that.

There are still unaccepted applications to the ministry of Home Affairs, I would begin with the processing. I'm not quite sure what is in the Home Affairs HQ that could help out. If there is nothing then we would have to start from scratch. We'd quite willing accept anyone to help out with this process regardless of expertise. I would imagine that with a lack of experienced people that it would not be a smooth start but we have to start from somewhere.

I would have to be offered one to accept :P but yes, I am willing to work with others.

I also unfortunately forgot to mention this in my original post but I would ensure that all of the information that is being presented by TNP is up to date. I found personally when I was looking around information, which, I would later be informed was outdated, so I would like to have all that information updated to avoid new players being confused.

Praetor:
I would ensure that all of the information that is being presented by TNP is up to date. I found personally when I was looking around information, which, I would later be informed was outdated, so I would like to have all that information updated to avoid new players being confused.
This, this, a million times this. I'm glad to know I wasn't the only person who had this problem when they first got here.

quak1234:
Praetor:
I would ensure that all of the information that is being presented by TNP is up to date. I found personally when I was looking around information, which, I would later be informed was outdated, so I would like to have all that information updated to avoid new players being confused.
This, this, a million times this. I'm glad to know I wasn't the only person who had this problem when they first got here.
I am so relieved to know that it wasn't just me that was confused. :hug:

praetor, as GM has said above, you are unlikely to win this time round. Too new; too unknown. But you have put up a good campaign and have acquitted yourself well. You have caught the eye of a number of influential people in the region and could have a great future here.

A word of advice? When the election is over, get in quick, join a ministry (perhaps not at minister level, but as an assistant), work hard and be active, make a mark....

Put bluntly, you will go far.

flemingovia:
praetor, as GM has said above, you are unlikely to win this time round. Too new; too unknown. But you have put up a good campaign and have acquitted yourself well. You have caught the eye of a number of influential people in the region and could have a great future here.

A word of advice? When the election is over, get in quick, join a ministry (perhaps not at minister level, but as an assistant), work hard and be active, make a mark....

I should have said so earlier, but Praetor did in fact apply to participate in the Ministry of Culture staff a substantial time ago.

He was only accepted last week, because of my own tardiness in the matter - he took the initiative to contact me and follow up on his application, and I think that he's shown a reasonable level of dedication to a Ministry that, under my leadership, had not offered him a channel with which to express his dedication.

This doesn't necessarily absolve his campaign of his lack of experience, but it would be inappropriate for me to fail to offer a character defense where there are valid concerns (based on an incorrect assumption) as to whether Praetor is jumping the gun. His lack of experience is in no small part due to my own failures.

flemingovia:

Thanks for the advice but still having trouble joining a ministry.
The Grim Reaper:
flemingovia:

I should have said so earlier, but Praetor did in fact apply to participate in the Ministry of Culture staff a substantial time ago.

He was only accepted last week, because of my own tardiness in the matter - he took the initiative to contact me and follow up on his application, and I think that he's shown a reasonable level of dedication to a Ministry that, under my leadership, had not offered him a channel with which to express his dedication.

This doesn't necessarily absolve his campaign of his lack of experience, but it would be inappropriate for me to fail to offer a character defense where there are valid concerns (based on an incorrect assumption) as to whether Praetor is jumping the gun. His lack of experience is in no small part due to my own failures.
I still don't have access. :cry:

It's not just Culture however, I applied to the ministry of Home Affairs over 3 weeks ago, haven't heard anything about that either.

Looking through the executive staff application thread there are others who haven't had their applications accepted into their ministry and they've applied a while ago.

Sometimes I wonder if we should elect Ministers. Starting to wish I went that route.

Back