TNP D&D

MacSalterson

TNPer
Pronouns
They/Them
So madjack and I have recently been discussing D&D being run on TNP Forums. Seeing as I have quite a bit of experience with D&D (3.5 and Pathfinder in Specific), I was wondering if having a Play by Post D&D game run by yours truly would be a good idea for the roleplaying section of these forums.

I'm curious to see how this turns out, so go for it.

Before I post for general interest, I have a few questions.

Setting? Do you want to go with TNP canon, i.e. a very low magic setting, TNP Fantasy Universe (Unseelie Fae and that sort) resulting in a more high fantasy steampunk, an existing D&D universe (Golarion, Eberron, etc.), or something of my own creation?

Edition? 3.5, Pathfinder, or a blended version of the two?

Rolls? Rolls are one of the most important sections of D&D. How do you want to go about that?

We could totally use the Fantasy Universe. I'd be Gandor III, King of the Valdorians.

Problem is, I've never actually played D&D. How does it work?

Syrixia:
We could totally use the Fantasy Universe. I'd be Gandor III, King of the Valdorians.

Problem is, I've never actually played D&D. How does it work?
While I'm glad to host new players, I'd have to tell you that playing a person as major as the king of a nation is out of the question. You're adventurers, not lords. You may eventually become a lord, but not now, especially considering the level of play you'll most likely be starting at.

This would be awesome! I do have a question, though. How wide is the scope of this event? Are we going to send out invitation for regions to join us (like Wintreath does for its Werewolf games), or are we going to be keeping TNP-based? Either way, it is a great idea, but I was just interested in knowing what you guys had in mind.

For now the plan is to keep it very small scale, with mainly experienced players, just to see how the game can be run in TNP.

If its a success, we'll definitely open it up firstly to the wider region, and then possibly to NS as a whole. Something to consider for later in the year though.

Pathfinder is way easier to use than 3.5, practically speaking - by this, I mean that resources for Pathfinder are just easier to get than resources for 3.5, even before you discuss the systems themselves.

And by resources for pathfinder, I mean http://www.d20pfsrd.com/

Re: setting, the TNP fantasy setting just isn't very fleshed out. If you're up for something along the lines of a custom world, I could act as a Loremaster for the campaign - it's been a long time since I've played Pathfinder, and RL is more of a concern for me, but I could definitely help you run broader lore aspects if you needed the help.

I've never really been a fan of low-magic D&D - I'm of the opinion that D&D is built for high fantasy, and hence low-magic D&D tends towards ruining suspension of disbelief. Not that I don't like low magic worlds, I just don't think that many D&D classes work for it, and it kills a lot of the native flavour Pathfinder has.

For rolls, GM rolls would work best, I think - player declares their roll, "2d20 + 8", GM gives them their result "16 + 8 (+8) = 32".

I think Roll 20 would probably work best, as GBM said. I think having the GM roll all the dice ruins player agency in a way, so I want to avoid that. For now, I'm going to restrict it to TNP. Gameplay will be Pathfinder with 3.5 on request. I'll get to work on a setting soon-ish, seeing as I think I have a few stubs lying around.

I was hoping we could avoid low magic, seeing as PF is much more built for high magic, so b that's fine.

The first idea that springs to mind is a pretty Gritty Semi-open dungeon crawl, restricted to a city/underground and small areas outside. I'm perfectly fine if people want to avoid having too much Grimdark, though, so tell me what you want in game theme.

That's seems fine to me. We can do more expansive stuff in future runs.

Back