Plembobrian Constitutional Referendum

plembobria

TNPer
-
Due to the Senate's constant obdurate policy of blocking budgets just 'cause they have tax increases, a referendum to abolish the body has been introduced.

The Senate is not an undemocratic body. Each Province is given a number of senators based on its population. Members are elected proportionally. Due to election distortions, it has a slight favor towards right-wing parties.*

I intend to fully honor the results of this vote. It ends Saturday.

Text of the Amendment:
Chapter I, Section 1, of the Constitution of Plembobria shall be amended to read "The Legislative power of the Kingdom is vested in the Parliament of Plembobria, which consists of the House of Commons."

Chapter I, Section 3 of the Constitution of Plembobria is repealed. (The area of the constitution defining the Senate is removed.)

Chapter I, Section 2, Paragraph d of the Constitution of Plembobria is repealed. (The piece of the constitution granting the Commons sole power to introduce tax bills is removed, due the the abolition of the Senate)

Chapter II, Section 1, Paragraph f is amended to read "The King in Council shall approve treaties with the consent of the House of Commons." (Power to ratify treaties is given to the Commons)

Chapter II Section 1, Paragraph d is amended to read "The King in Council may dissolve the House of Commons. He shall have the power to legislate until a new Parliament shall have been elected."

*Seriously, it does. I did not intend for it to do that, but it gives the right-wing bloc more seats even if they lose the popular vote. I think it has to do with the fact that the conservative provinces have higher populations, even though there are more liberal provinces than conservative ones.

Kalti:
Abolish and let the hippies take over... It's what happened in my country.
Hmm. Our Farmer's Ecology Party is made up primarily of hippies. They actually win senate elections easier. :lol:

Vazosian political thought does not hold democratic legislatures in high esteem. Truly great countries fill their legislatures with those who uphold the status quo - after all, the government always knows better than you do.

Hey, if you don't want the Senate to be abolished, don't. It's your nation.

Back