ARCHIVED: A letter

plembobria

TNPer
-
King Tozian walked out of his study. In his hand he held a letter. It was addressed to Her Imperial Majesty Queen Matilda II of McMasterdonia. Quickly he went over what it said:

To: Her Imperial Majesty, Queen Matilda II of McMasterdonia

Dearest Cousin,

I write to you with great worry. You, know doubt, have been informed in your various foreign briefings of my actions regarding my executive council, in which I have suspended the office of the prime minister, and restored the office of Lord High Chamberlain, placing myself in that office as I was before.

I have not done this without good reason. The elections for Parliament have left no clear majority. The Commons failed to approve a cabinet for my appointment. Thus, I have returned to the old executive structure of the Privy Council, while retaining the people's representatives -- the Parliament.

Many have mistakenly viewed this as an attempt by me to suspend democracy and re-establish absolute rule. The republican groups have awaken. Many are protesting. I fear my actions can cause more division than they have been intended to soothe.

I admire your courage and steadfastness. Again and again you have been beset by innumerable hostilities against your rule. Yet you have not capitulated. My situation is less dire than yours, but I still seek your guidance. This age in history is more averse to monarchical rule than ever. I entreat your advice on the matter. How do I quell the fears of imminent tyranny? How do I cope with the rhetoric of those who wish to depose me?

In a spirit of harmony and peace,

King Tozian

He placed the letter in an envelope and sealed it.

He approached his personal assistant and handed it to him saying, "I need you to personally deliver this letter to the Queen of McMasterdonia."

"How am I supposed to that when she's on her state visit to Eumenor?"

"I know you can find a way. You've haven't failed me yet."

"I'll see what I can do, Your Majesty."

"Don't be silly Carl, you know me will enough to call me Tony."

The king continued towards the exit of Rethel Palace. He encountered his sister, Nara II. She was young, silly, and always driving the staff crazy.

"Princess Narra the second. Do you realize that in the event my death, capture or other incapacitation, you shall be Queen of Plembobria and its dominions, head of the House of Flithen-McMaster, and Governor of Rethel?"

She stared at him. "Don't send the country to its doom before I get back okay?" said Tozian. With that, he walked through the palace door, waved to onlookers, and got into his royal limousine. He would soon be on his way to Guslantis.

Matilda II, Queen of McMasterdonia was about to leave for the final part of her visit in the nation of Eumenor. She was ready to return to Intelligentsia, there was much going on there, and the situation was ever-changing and dramatic changes could occur at any moment. Her husband had tried to get her into a better mood this morning, but she just wasn't interested. It was hard to remain focused on the matters at hand, when her brother was busy plotting behind her back, and her Mother and son remained missing or at worse were dead somewhere. As she was just about to consider where to look next for her lost relatives, there was a knock on the door.

"Come in" Richard, King-Consort of Mcmasterdonia said

The rather plump butler who had been attending them during the trip entered the room and politely bowed, to her great regret the Queen could not recall his name.

"Your majesties, I have the Personal Assistant to King Tozian I of the Kingdom of Plembobria here to see you"
"Really? Did he say why?" The Queen asked.
"He said that he has a letter for you, ma'am, and that it is for your eyes only"
"Very well, send him in."

Carl, the personal assistant to King Tozian, the Queen's cousin, politely bowed to the Queen as he entered the room.
"Your majesties, my name is Carl, I am the personal assistant to King Tozian of the Kingdom of Plembobria. He has sent me with a letter for you, ma'am, and has asked that I deliver this letter to you personally."

The Queen stood, and while masking the concern upon her face she approached Carl and took the letter from his outstretched hand.
"Thank you, Carl. Please wait while I read the letter and write my response."

The Queen stepped out of the sitting area of her suite and into the study hall. She read the letter carefully, she was very aware that her cousin, King Tozian was experiencing similar issues to what she had experienced more than a year ago. A key difference being that she had managed to last this long, and for King Tozian, this was a very tenuous position to be in - given the recent history of the Kingdom of Plembobria. To add salt to injury, King Tozia's father was also the Queen's Uncle. He had left the Kingdom of Plembobria in order to advise her on matters of state, she was sure that King Tozian would much rather have his father at home advising him on the difficult situation he was facing, and she was very sympathetic to his cause. The Queen's Uncle, Gregor, was her Father's brother and an intensely strong and intelligent political operator. She was very glad to have him in McMasterdonian helping her to run the government of the embattled Kingdom. It was her Uncle Gregor, who had helped to fend off the attacks of Malvad in the Democratic Union. Had McMasterdonia been removed by the Democratic Union, this would have strengthened the propaganda of the opposition and may have led to serious damage to the Royal Families standing in Intelligentsia, especially, where the Democratic Union is highly respected.

Of course - the rebels who had since aligned themselves with the Flemingovian Council would not stay in the democratic union. They did not believe that the DU served a purpose, and knew that it would hinder their ability to crack down on minorities and to enforce strict religious jurisprudence over the Kingdom.

The Queen had always been close with King Tozian. Even when they were much younger, when her Father would send her to Plembobria for the McMasterdonian winter, she had enjoyed his fierce wit and strong intellect. They would spend hours debating the merits of an international society and the weakness of the traditionalist approaches to governing. However, like her, Tozian was restrained by a culture that was fiercely patriotic and traditional. One that certainly respected the monarchy, but was constrained by it's strong dedication to other matters that were so crucial to the fabric of their ancient nations. 10 years ago, she would not have thought that the Kingdom of McMasterdonia would be where it is today. Her Father's reign had been a peaceful one - despite some small political issues in the 70's, the Royal Family had never feared for their lives. In today's period of uncertainty, she was always living in fear. She was concerned that one day, the religious extremists would be in control of Intelligentsia, and the gates would open only for them to slit her throat and claim the Kingdom for their own nefarious purposes. She would never abandon McMasterdonia, it was her home, and she would never abdicate the throne or surrender to the demands of the religious extremists. She would rather them smash down the Palace walls and slit her throat, than allow them to drive her into exile.

Letter to King Tozian I:
Dearest Cousin,

It pains me to see you write to me in this way. When we were just children, we never could have foreseen the problems that we would face during our reign? I always enjoyed seeing the great pleasure my Father derived from his rule, the love and adoration of his people, and the challenges of modernizing a great society.

I have been kept informed of the great challenges that you have been facing. Those challenges are not unlike the ones I myself faced approximately 18 months ago. The people cannot understand our decision, because they do not walk in our footsteps. They are not aware of the great weight we feel upon our shoulders simply because of the crown that was passed to our heads.

Your actions may very well cause more destruction and division in the short term. But it is for the greater good that we have both taken these very necessary and difficult decisions. We must stand up against tyranny and against so-called democratic reforms that will harm our culture, or put the people of our great Nation States at risk of harm. This is our duty, it is a duty because of our birth to the great houses of McMasterdonia and Plembobria. We cannot shirk our duty to our home, we can only rise to the occasion and show these rebels and would-be tyrants what we were born to do - we were born to lead, we were born to guide, and we were born to help our people undertake the great journey of modernization in the face of many global threats to our peace and prosperity.

Since I have taken the decision to temporarily suspend Senate elections and issue arrest warrants for the individuals who rebelled against my Queenship, I have been relegated to the position of an international pariah. I have been condemned by National Governments who know little of the history between the great houses of McMasterdonia, and who know even less about the true motivations of these rebel groups. These groups who wish to enforce flemingovianism upon all citizens of the realm, who wish to require daily prayer, and who wish to abolish the secular school system and replace it with religious education. Instead, the international community was so captivated on one issue - democracy. They were so concerned by the lack of elections that they refused to see the bigger picture. One where the Mcmasterdonian way of life, and the protections of our minority groups - an issue which has bound this Kingdom together for centuries would be smashed apart in the name of democratic reform.

My advice to you is simple - speak the truth. I made the mistake of not informing the International Community earlier about these issues. I should have stood before the DU and clearly delineated the issues with the rebels and their demands for democratic reform. Instead I attempted to address these matters internally, and have relied on people who have gone beyond the call of duty - including by brother, Prince Albert and General of my Army. Speak the truth - involve the international community in the process, but do not, I repeat - do not, capitulate. Do not give in to these extremists who wish to destroy centuries of tradition and unity government for the sake of their own quest for power.

I mentioned my brother Prince Albert earlier, and I must ask something of you. If it is too much, that I can accept. You are likely not aware that my Mother, your aunt, and my son, your second-cousin, have both gone missing. I would implore you to help me find them. I am unsure who I can trust right now in the Intelligence Service because of my brother's nefarious activities. I need to find them, I need to know that they are safe. Will you please look into this for me?

I wish that I could do more to help you. I would come to visit you personally in Plembobria, if I didn't think that would do you more harm than good. Please give my love to your sister.

Your cousin,
Matilda

I trust that you are an honourable servant to your master, King Tozian?"
"I am, ma'am".
"Very well, I trust then that you shall immediately return to King Tozian and give him my reply. Do not tell anyone about this letter. Should someone attempt to stop you, destroy the letter immediately. Is that clear?"
"It is maam, I shall not fail you or my master."
"Excellent, take this then, and with flemingovia's blessing, deliver this message safely to your master."

Carl held the letter in his hands. It was a short flight from Eumenor to Guslantis. He wondered what the discussion was about, what was so secret that it was discussed by paper letters and not by other means. He dare not look. He swore an oath to the King "on pain of death." This is not to say that he would be executed if he violated it, but it implied that this was serious.

Carl had known King Tozian since they were children. He was one of the few whom the king would allow to call him "Tony." In fact, Carl was one of the few that actually knew that the king wasn't too fond of his first name.

A few hours later

Carl arrived at Charles Palace. Security was tough at the entrance. He bore his credentials and was let through. Inside the palace, he was led to the room where the King was meeting with the Queen of Guslantis. As they were conversing, he interrupted. "Your Majesty." Both royals turned their attention to him. "My apologies." He bowed. "King Tozian, I have something for your eyes only." The King extended his hand to take the letter from his assistant.

"Thank you, Carl."

As the meeting progressed, the King was distracted, he asked the Guslant Queen to repeat herself several times. Finally it was over. "You're majesty, my personal assistant has brought something to my attention that is of paramount importance, and I must deal with this personally."

In his private quarters, he read the letter. His cousin's words encouraged him, yet he felt her pain. She asked him to investigate her missing son and mother. He sighed. Sat down. Loosened his collar.

He left his room. "Carl!" he called.

"Yes, your Majesty?"

"I need to send a secure email."

"One moment."

Carl returned with a black, unlabeled laptop.

Back in his room, sitting on the bed, he didn't know what to write. He didn't communicate with his father often. Count Gregor, or as his title was in Plembobria Prince Gregor, left him at the helm of an entire nation, alone and naive. All for a national security position in McMasterdonia. Perhaps this was his own way of dealing with the grief of his wife's death, but to his children, it was abandonment.

The King took a deep breath, beginning to type, Carl barged back into the room. He was breathing heavily. He looked incredibly disturbed.

"Your Majesty, Queen Matilda is dead."

Back