Split from Slave Trade

Saint Oz

TNPer
I can understand your feelings on this particular RP and those involved (and p. much agreed with you Myroria when we spoke about it in IRC), but posts like these are borderline spamming the topic.

We're just pointing out that with such a serious issue, and TNP RP's reputation for very terrible writing, maybe you all should stick to the modern age instead. I envision either everyone will have abolitionist minded nations because they can't immerse themselves in the times, some might think they're abolitionist minded but write something dangerously close to the White Man's Burden, or maybe there won't be much thought put into it at all (as usual for TNP RP) and it will just be a clusterfuck of sadist-prose as bad guys and a whole section of nations trying to clamor to be the slaves's savior as the good guys.

Whatever this is, it's not even beginning to think of a context for slave trade to happen. Where are the slaves coming from? Who is capturing and selling them? Where are they going? Do some nations have a shortage of laborers for their colonies? Is there even a colonization period possible, considering the TNP RP map has no geologic history, map legend, or visible projection? A lot of slavery in the real world was to fill the demand for coffee, sugar, chocolate, and other plants that are impossible to grow in Europe. Has anyone thought what commodities their nation would want to warrant a demand for cheap labor?

While it seemed to start with good intentions, this thread is just people arguing who will be Abolitionist and who will be Pro-Slavery, and it's not answering any of the important questions to get a serious RP going. People call themselves abolitionist without thinking of a context of that happening.

The question I have for everyone is, will anyone actually write prose about Oangandu being transported on a slave ship, watching his fellow tribespeople be crammed and chained on a boat, watching bored sailors rape the women on chains, and watching sailors whip slaves to unconsciousness because they're yelling in pain and suffering? Then further, will anyone actually write prose about an abolitionist who was one of these sailors, felt so much guilt that he raped, beat, and chained slaves that he became an isolated monk seeing the ghosts of his sins?

No, everyone will have slaves just because get with the times man. Everyone will be abolitionist, just because it's bad man, because I was told it was bad in my high school history class. You're all making light of one of the most inhumane periods of human history, because you all ran out of ideas for your single sentence posts about mobilizing armies and leaders giving out orders.

So excuse us if we feel incredibly cynical about it and posted "spam".

Saint Oz:
I can understand your feelings on this particular RP and those involved (and p. much agreed with you Myroria when we spoke about it in IRC), but posts like these are borderline spamming the topic.

We're just pointing out that with such a serious issue, and TNP RP's reputation for very terrible writing, maybe you all should stick to the modern age instead. I envision either everyone will have abolitionist minded nations because they can't immerse themselves in the times, some might think they're abolitionist minded but write something dangerously close to the White Man's Burden, or maybe there won't be much thought put into it at all (as usual for TNP RP) and it will just be a clusterfuck of sadist-prose as bad guys and a whole section of nations trying to clamor to be the slaves's savior as the good guys.

Whatever this is, it's not even beginning to think of a context for slave trade to happen. Where are the slaves coming from? Who is capturing and selling them? Where are they going? Do some nations have a shortage of laborers for their colonies? Is there even a colonization period possible, considering the TNP RP map has no geologic history, map legend, or visible projection? A lot of slavery in the real world was to fill the demand for coffee, sugar, chocolate, and other plants that are impossible to grow in Europe. Has anyone thought what commodities their nation would want to warrant a demand for cheap labor?

While it seemed to start with good intentions, this thread is just people arguing who will be Abolitionist and who will be Pro-Slavery, and it's not answering any of the important questions to get a serious RP going. People call themselves abolitionist without thinking of a context of that happening.

The question I have for everyone is, will anyone actually write prose about Oangandu being transported on a slave ship, watching his fellow tribespeople be crammed and chained on a boat, watching bored sailors rape the women on chains, and watching sailors whip slaves to unconsciousness because they're yelling in pain and suffering? Then further, will anyone actually write prose about an abolitionist who was one of these sailors, felt so much guilt that he raped, beat, and chained slaves that he became an isolated monk seeing the ghosts of his sins?

No, everyone will have slaves just because get with the times man. Everyone will be abolitionist, just because it's bad man, because I was told it was bad in my high school history class. You're all making light of one of the most inhumane periods of human history, because you all ran out of ideas for your single sentence posts about mobilizing armies and leaders giving out orders.

They say a picture says a thousand words, but I'm not sure how 'gif from community' conveys just what you just posted. Putting aside your patronising and offensive attacks on TNP RP, you raise some things that I and others already try to think about and include in our writing, and encourage others to do so also - despite your suggestion that all TNP RP is just ill-thought out one liners.

The points you raise in the quoted post are valid, but your first contribution was spam that didn't add to the conversation. It was, in fact, just shitposting.

Please don't do again.

Nierr:
Saint Oz:

They say a picture says a thousand words, but I'm not sure how 'gif from community' conveys just what you just posted. Putting aside your patronising and offensive attacks on TNP RP, you raise some things that I and others already try to think about and include in our writing, and encourage others to do so also - despite your suggestion that all TNP RP is just ill-thought out one liners.

The points you raise in the quoted post are valid, but your first contribution was spam that didn't add to the conversation. It was, in fact, just shitposting.

Please don't do again.
It is one liners though, I'm going through all your RP and it's all just one liners.

Sometimes I see a paragraph, but a real post here is like finding gold in virginia.

Saint Oz:
It is one liners though, I'm going through all your RP and it's all just one liners.

Sometimes I see a paragraph, but a real post here is like finding gold in virginia.
http://forum.thenorthpacific.org/topic/7419689/
http://forum.thenorthpacific.org/topic/7417174/
http://forum.thenorthpacific.org/topic/7408039/
http://forum.thenorthpacific.org/topic/7352420/

Ta da. First page only of National Roleplay. Didn't bother to look for more in other places because that's a great sample right there. Nice and recent.

If you really want to see RP in TNP improve, then join in and lead by example. If you're just going to point out empty criticisms, then nothing will change and you may, surprisingly, find that people don't like you.

Darcania:
Saint Oz:
If you think those are quality, you must be delusional.
Ok. Go start an RP. Show me how it's done.

Also, cut the sniping.
I'm barely keeping up with RP at my home region, why would I bother with your terrible map, RP, and cultures.

If you all were serious about RP you'd actually put thought into a map, and you'd ban letting people have real world ethnicities and languages.

My argument here was since all of you don't really care about quality RP, why are you making light of a serious event in human history. If your RP is light, then keep the content light. I'm saying you're all endangering yourselves to having not only terrible writing and creativity but offensive terrible writing and creativity.

"Sniping"- You TNPers can't handle any ounce of criticism.

Saint Oz:
Darcania:
Saint Oz:
If you think those are quality, you must be delusional.
Ok. Go start an RP. Show me how it's done.

Also, cut the sniping.
I'm barely keeping up with RP at my home region, why would I bother with your terrible map, RP, and cultures.

If you all were serious about RP you'd actually put thought into a map, and you'd ban letting people have real world ethnicities and languages.

My argument here was since all of you don't really care about quality RP, why are you making light of a serious event in human history. If your RP is light, then keep the content light. I'm saying you're all endangering yourselves to having not only terrible writing and creativity but offensive terrible writing and creativity.

'Cus we want people to enjoy RPing? Isn't that the whole point? If someone doesn't like involving themselves in telling a story and having a fun experience that they can look back on and say, "wow, that was a good adventure", then they shouldn't RP. Hey, I'm good with having critics, hell, society is full of critics. Trust me, I'm an author, I know how it feels when someone takes your hard work and stabs it with a pitchfork. I'm from "the South", where we're known for our kindness, and growing up, I've learned that if you've got nothing nice to say, say nothing at all.

Saint Oz:

Again, to show us how it's done, Mr. Perfect.

Plenty of thought was put into the map (thank you, Lord Lore, Nierr, and any other cartographers). We also disallow real-world concepts, but let slide minor details like people somehow using English because we're an inclusive community, not an exclusive community filled with elitists.

We do care about quality RP - but we also care about being inclusive, you know, like nice people. How would people learn to RP if they never get the chance to learn at all? RPing is supposed to be fun. Fun. It's not an excuse to act all better than everyone else. Also, "terrible writing and creativity": Show us how it's done. Right now I only see someone shouting to an empty sky.

'"Sniping"- You TNPers can't handle any ounce of criticism.' Calling me delusional is most certainly not "criticism". It's sniping, plain and simple. Got a problem with that? Appeal it and I'm sure the other moderators will agree.

In either case, this is a textbook case of sniping, flaming, and threadjacking. This conversation ends here. If you want to continue the conversation, Saint Oz, feel free to PM me (where I will ignore it or report it) or start a new thread, where it will inevitably be locked for continued sniping and flaming.

Do not reply to this post. Nobody else reply to this post. Nobody reply to replies to this post unless you are a moderator. Nobody continue this conversation in any way, especially not in this thread. Further posts on this conversation in this thread will be hidden if necessary.

On-topic posts may, naturally, continue. Just be sure to ignore any further off-topic posts. The moderators will take care of it.

Have a pleasant day.

I've been involved in Roleplay on nationstates in one form or another since 2006. I've rped with people whose skill with the written word would put actual authors to shame, people who literally put months and years into their nations and roleplays and concepts.

I learnt from the Jenraks, the Amazonian Beasts, the Abruzis, Rethans and Kyrusia's of NS. I helped the Milograds develop. I was there to see RPers like Deus and Anemos become better than most. I saw the fall of the Haven and I can count RP Mentors, veteran RPers and roleplay moderators among my close friends.

I spent the better part of three years in what you would probably call a 'serious' RP region, among people who 'care about RP'. It was probably a lot like Taijitu is, insofar as it was never able to stay active. I've experienced that in Taijitu in the past as well.

You probably don't care about any of that, and those names will either mean something to you or not, but let me make myself clear, you don't have a monopoly to the label of 'serious' RPer. Nor are you remotely someone any actual RPer should look to model themselves after. I would much rather a region and community of what you call a 'terrible culture' than have even one person here decide to be as disparaging to others, as mocking to those who might be less able or adept as you at something.

You are not some ideal that people should aspire to. You are an example of everything wrong with 'serious' RP. I'd love to you RP in TNP someday, I really would. But if all you're going to do is snipe from the sidelines, then I much rather you went back to Taijitu and maybe tried to make that region just a little bit more active.

Back