RON for great justice

Flemingovia

TNPer
-
-
7c4b171abc4f9572b24a2d05cf6c9211bd7bbcbed59f60fe6eece738c500cd18.jpg

Like many people, I have been dismayed at the quality of the field declared thus far in the judicial election.

This time there seems to be a particular problem: I have personally spoken to four good people about running, and the answer is always the same, "I do not want to share a bench with Roman and Flap. especially Roman." The early declaration by these two candidates seems to have put others off from standing. I would say the same is true for myself. I would not preclude standing for justice, but not where there is a chance i would have to share a bench with Romanoffia. Been there, done that. No thanks.

in our laws there is a provision for when the names on the ballot are unacceptable to the electorate. We can vote "reopen Nominations", and express our desire for new candidates. So if the ballot remains as at present, I will be voting Abstain - Reopen Nominations.

Now, of course, Roman and Flap would have the right to remain on the ballot for the second round. But my hope is that, for the good of the region, they would step aside to allow a clean slate.

In regards to the AG election, I am not sure whether COE and ASTA are actually standing, but if the ballot remains JJ, paulwall and Yrkidding I will likewise be voting Abstain - Reopen Nominations.

That is my thinking at the moment.

I think successfully re-opening nominations for Justice would be enough of a demonstration of the electorate's unwillingness to elect Roman and falapatorius that some currently reluctant candidates might step forward, if they could be assured that at least two others would.

Lord Nwahs:
With the Minister running for AG would you change your mind, Flem?
I am not going to fully commit myself before the candidate debate and the end of campaigning, but if the ballot was to open this afternoon I would vote for GM.

My opinion on the justice ballot remains unchanged.

CoE:
I think successfully re-opening nominations for Justice would be enough of a demonstration of the electorate's unwillingness to elect Roman and falapatorius that some currently reluctant candidates might step forward, if they could be assured that at least two others would.

I hope so too.

flemingovia:
7c4b171abc4f9572b24a2d05cf6c9211bd7bbcbed59f60fe6eece738c500cd18.jpg

Like many people, I have been dismayed at the quality of the field declared thus far in the judicial election.

This time there seems to be a particular problem: I have personally spoken to four good people about running, and the answer is always the same, "I do not want to share a bench with Roman and Flap. especially Roman." The early declaration by these two candidates seems to have put others off from standing. I would say the same is true for myself. I would not preclude standing for justice, but not where there is a chance i would have to share a bench with Romanoffia. Been there, done that. No thanks.

in our laws there is a provision for when the names on the ballot are unacceptable to the electorate. We can vote "reopen Nominations", and express our desire for new candidates. So if the ballot remains as at present, I will be voting Abstain - Reopen Nominations.

Now, of course, Roman and Flap would have the right to remain on the ballot for the second round. But my hope is that, for the good of the region, they would step aside to allow a clean slate.

In regards to the AG election, I am not sure whether COE and ASTA are actually standing, but if the ballot remains JJ, paulwall and Yrkidding I will likewise be voting Abstain - Reopen Nominations.

That is my thinking at the moment.
I would complain that this is a deliberate trolling attempt on your part, but we all know such rules do not apply to the Oligarchy. :P

You too, along with a couple of others, seem to be joining in the coordinated Oligarchy smear campaign and seem to be expanding that smear campaign to more people than just me.

I hope the People of The North Pacific wake up and vote for the Non-Oligarchy Approved Candidates and maybe then we can actually get some real change around here that everyone always promises.

I would point out that before opening this thread I did not consult with anyone, so terms like "coordinated" and "conspiracy" are inappropriate.

Just because people agree with me does not mean that a conspiracy is going on.

There are still a few days left for nominations. Several nominees have neither accepted nor declined. I'm hopeful we will have enough candidates to fill out the ballot. Why, I'd bet that if just one of those undecideds stepped up, others would follow.

I'll tell you why nobody really wants to step up and run. It's because of all the nasty, negative smear tactics being use, and that's before anyone even gets elected.

The real fun is after someone gets elected. That's when the real smear tactics get started in earnest. And no one really wants to be put in a position to run for anything. Why put up with the abuse which I'm absolutely sure anybody who gets elected will receive.

We have reached a new low in TNP when very few people want to run for office because they see all manner of crap hurled at the candidates.

What really needs to happen is that no one runs for office and we reset the whole thing.

Now let me shut up before I really fly off the handle.

Romanoffia:
I'll tell you why nobody really wants to step up and run. It's because of all the nasty, negative smear tactics being use, and that's before anyone even gets elected.

The real fun is after someone gets elected. That's when the real smear tactics get started in earnest. And no one really wants to be put in a position to run for anything. Why put up with the abuse which I'm absolutely sure anybody who gets elected will receive.

We have reached a new low in TNP when very few people want to run for office because they see all manner of crap hurled at the candidates.

What really needs to happen is that no one runs for office and we reset the whole thing.

I think your analysis is wrong, but I guess we shall see

I would prefer to be a Justice, as I believe the Court needs more work than the AG's office. But, the general consensus over the last four election cycles has been that I am not wanted in that role for some unknown reason.

That is why I accepted the AG nomination over the Justice one, not because of any reluctance to sit on the bench with either of the other candidates.

flemingovia:
Romanoffia:

I think your analysis is wrong, but I guess we shall see

Unfortunately, I am right.

Things are getting very nasty around here and it's likely to become a ghost town because of that nastiness. When people attack other people with RL bogus accusations of racism in campaign thread, it's a sign of decay and decline. But you are probably aware of the particular incident.

It's stuff like that which gives people pause about standing for election, let alone even participating in the 'culture' of the region.

Only stupid fools like me think that there might be some hope for it all. I hope my analysis is wrong, but recent events support it.

PaulWallLibertarian42:
Instead of elections lets just have R3n, COE, Flemingovia, McM and crew periodically draw straws for who gets to serve in what position.

You mean a slate of Oligarchy Approved Candidates? We already have that system in place! :lol:

If voting made a difference, voting would be made illegal.

Gracius Maximus:
I would prefer to be a Justice, as I believe the Court needs more work than the AG's office. But, the general consensus over the last four election cycles has been that I am not wanted in that role for some unknown reason.

That is why I accepted the AG nomination over the Justice one, not because of any reluctance to sit on the bench with either of the other candidates.

That's only because the Oligarchy doesn't trust you and you haven't been approved by the Oligarchy to hold office. ;)

This ain't no meritocracy. It's a kakistocracy. Who is John Galt?

punk d:
Crushing Our Enemies:
I think you're mistaking "the Oligarchy" for "most people".
CoE - sometimes you really make me laugh out loud, bro.

Yeah, that one made me really howl. :lol:

I can't figure out whether that comment was the result of an attempt at sarcasm or the result of insipid irony. :P

Crushing Our Enemies:
Relevant to all discussions of small groups of people colluding to control TNP politics: http://forum.thenorthpacific.org/single/?p=8136856&t=7180855

That was a beautiful post, COE :yes:

Gracius Maximus:

Perhaps you could do both?! :P

I think you will make a formidable AG.

Great Bights Mum:
There are still a few days left for nominations. Several nominees have neither accepted nor declined. I'm hopeful we will have enough candidates to fill out the ballot. Why, I'd bet that if just one of those undecideds stepped up, others would follow.
For the first time in my entire TNP career, I have been considering it as a remote possibility. If I didn't wish to see the rest of the term out to enact our Foreign Affairs agenda, I would have ran for the position >_<. That said, I've never wanted to serve in the judicial branch in TNP.

PaulWallLibertarian42:
Instead of elections lets just have R3n, COE, Flemingovia, McM and crew periodically draw straws for who gets to serve in what position.

I don't think any of those people listed would want that to happen. I know you were just making a joke, but all of those people you have listed have tried to support the next generation of regional leaders.

It is good to see a credible Justice candidate throw their hat into the ring. I am waiting to see how I will vote, although at the moment "Reopen Nominations" will definitely get my nod.

Back