At Vote: Nuclear Security Convention [Complete] [Complete]

r3naissanc3r

TNPer
-
-
Nuclear Security Convention

Proposed by: Chester Pearson | Resolution link | World Assembly forum thread

Description: The World Assembly,

RECOGNIZING that nuclear energy is a relatively clean and efficient source of energy,

UNDERSTANDING the right of member nations to use nuclear energy for peaceful purpose,

ALSO REALIZING the potential threat posed to all members in regards to the acquisition of nuclear technology by rogue states, terrorist and/or extremist organizations,

ALARMED by the possibility of widespread devastation that could occur as the result of the uncontrolled proliferation of nuclear technology, particularly by non-members who are not bound by the conventions of international law,

RESOLVING to enact a sensible policy that mitigates the potential for nuclear warfare and the consequences thereof,

The General Assembly hereby:

For the purposes of this convention defines nuclear energy as the energy released by nuclear reactions,

Requires member nations take all necessary precautions to ensure their nuclear materials, technology and information that have the potential for weaponization are fully secured against unauthorized release,

Demands that member nations take all measures necessary and practical in preventing the transfer of nuclear technology, design specifications, and materials if there is reason to suspect that they will be weaponized,

Clarifies that nothing in this resolution shall be interpreted as affecting the right of member nations to research or use nuclear energy for peaceful purposes, nor denying members nations the right to possess or produce nuclear armaments via their own technological and manufacturing capacities.

Co-Authored by Abacathea
Please vote: For | Against | Abstain | Present

"Abstain" means that you wish for the Delegate to not vote on the resolution at all.
"Present" means that you effectively choose not to participate in this vote. "Present" has no effect on how the Delegate votes.

This goes to vote next major. It is co-authored by our very own Abacathea. The debate in the General Assembly forum is generally favorable towards the resolution.

So, I vote For.

I too vote for, and sadly my stance on not appraising stuff I've been involved in stands. Would you like to take a shot r3n?

I know I have no vote here, and please forgive me if I'm overstepping my bounds, but I strongly advise that the North Pacific votes against this. This resolution is the WA's tacit approval of an international "join the World Assembly and get nukes!" campaign. The author seems to be under the impression that member nations are not dangerous towards other member nations, which is completely untrue. There is no resolution that prevents the unlimited use of nuclear weapons, wars of conquest, etc. All this does is create a mentality where member nations and non-member nations are arbitrarily divided. This is not only bad policy, but actively detrimental to global peace.

Furthermore, clause two prevents all transfers of nuclear weapons meant for weaponization, which includes intranational transfers. In other words, you cannot transport nuclear material or relevant technology within your own nation if it's meant to be weaponized.

Voting on this resolution has ended.

Thanks to those nations who cast their votes. Your participation is a great help to the region.

This topic has been locked and sent to the Archives for safekeeping. If you would like this topic to be re-opened for further discussion, please contact the WA Delegate, a Global Moderator, or an Administrator for assistance. Thank you.

Voting on this resolution has ended.

Thanks to those nations who cast their votes. Your participation is a great help to the region.

This topic has been locked and sent to the Archives for safekeeping. If you would like this topic to be re-opened for further discussion, please contact the WA Delegate, a Global Moderator, or an Administrator for assistance. Thank you.

Back