Ministry Standardization Act

r3naissanc3r

TNPer
-
-
Ministry Standardization Act

1) Chapter 8, Section 2 of the Codified Law of The North Pacific is hereby amended to read as follows,
The NPA is always permitted, consistent with adopted regional defense and diplomatic policies, to deploy under the following circumstances:
  • a. To counter or preemptively stop:
    • i) A direct threat to The North Pacific;
    • ii) A direct threat to an ally of The North Pacific;
  • b. To assist a region or organization as permitted by the delegate, an existing treaty, or the Executive Officer charged with military affairs;
  • c. Upon the orders of the appointed Executive Officer charged with military affairs or a person thus delegated to act in their name; and
  • d. The Regional Assembly may mandate that the NPA follow through on a declaration of war or a policy approved by the Regional Assembly.
2) Chapter 8, Section 4 of the Codified Law of The North Pacific is hereby amended to read as follows:
The NPA must operate so that:
  • a. The Delegate can issue a blanket approval for the NPA to work with a given organisation. The Executive Officer charged with military affairs or the Delegate must still authorize individual missions.
  • b. Any NPA member may refuse to take part in any mission which does not directly impact TNP security for any reason that the Executive Officer charged with military affairs or the Delegate determines is reasonable.
  • c. The Regional Assembly may override by simple majority vote any NPA deployment not previously approved by the Regional Assembly. The Speaker shall accept motions to override for voting on an expedited basis.

I highlight below with BBCode the changes effected by this bill:

1) Chapter 8, Section 2 of the Codified Law of The North Pacific is hereby amended to read as follows,
The NPA is always permitted, consistent with adopted regional defense and diplomatic policies, to deploy under the following circumstances:
  • a. To counter or preemptively stop:
    • i) A direct threat to tThe North Pacific;
    • ii) A direct threat to an North Pacifican ally of The North Pacific;
  • b. To assist a region or organization as permitted by the delegate, an existing treaty, or the Minister for Defence Executive Officer charged with military affairs;
  • c. Upon the orders of the appointed Minister of Defense Executive Officer charged with military affairs or a person thus delegated to act in their name; and
  • d. The Regional Assembly may mandate that the NPA follow through on a declaration of war or a policy approved by the Regional Assembly.
2) Chapter 8, Section 4 of the Codified Law of The North Pacific is hereby amended to read as follows:
The NPA must operate so that:
  • a. The Delegate can issue a blanket approval for the NPA to work with a given organisation. The Minister for Defence Executive Officer charged with military affairs or the Delegate must still authorize individual missions.
  • b. Any NPA member may refuse to take part in any mission which does not directly impact TNP security for any reason that the Minister of Defence Executive Officer charged with military affairs or the Delegate determines is reasonable.
  • c. The Regional Assembly may override by simple majority vote any NPA deployment not previously approved by the Regional Assembly. The Speaker shall accept motions to override for voting on an expedited basis.

The intent of this bill is to standardize references to the Minister of/for Defenc/se in the Legal Code. Rather than pick any of these variants, it uses the expression "Executive Officer charged with military affairs". This is the same terminology used to describe this Minister in the Mandatory Ministries section (Chapter 6, Section 6) of the Legal Code. By replacing all specific names with this generic description, the bill enables the Delegate of the time to name the Minister whatever they want.

In addition to the above, the bill makes a couple of other minor stylistic changes. A reference to "the North Pacific" is changed to the standard "The North Pacific". And a phrase "North Pacifican allies" is changed to "allies of The North Pacific".

I have no problem with this. A good compromise.

I'm sorry but at some point we need to show respect for our history and traditions. The variations of defense/defence minister spelling and the phrase "North Pacifican Ally" is an honored tradition of TNP, and if you want a 'Executive Officer in charge' then create a separate body. But I will not support such a disrepectful insult to TNP history.

PaulWallLibertarian42:
I'm sorry but at some point we need to show respect for our history and traditions. The variations of defense/defence minister spelling and the phrase "North Pacifican Ally" is an honored tradition of TNP, and if you want a 'Executive Officer in charge' then create a separate body. But I will not support such a disrepectful insult to TNP history.
:rofl:

Wait was that meant to be serious :tb1:

I have no problem with Minister of Defense/Defence/D-FENCE! or what have you.

I think we're just getting way to anal about some things around here. As the great "joker" once said, why so serious?

The reason why the Mandatory Ministries law used that roundabout terminology was because at the time, there being no mandated ministers, or even a Cabinet (the Council of Five was a Eluvatar-induced experiment) and the constitution of the time allowed the Delegate to style his or her office, and their subordinates in any form the Delegate desired.
That law focused on function, not titles. Hence, the roundabout terminology. To get around the various RL regional spellings and usages, I have no problem with that part of the bill.

The "North Pacifican" bit is quaint, and I've never used it, but we really don't have a standardized adjective form for the region's name since "The North Pacifican" sounds like a mouthful, which is why I think some people adopted it; me, I just avoid it altogether.

I have no problems with the bill, but are we going to standardize that roundabout usage for all Code references to any specific Minister? If so, can we just do it now, and get it over with?

Grosseschnauzer:
I have no problems with the bill, but are we going to standardize that roundabout usage for all Code references to a specific Minister? If so, can we just do it now, and get it over with?
That's what this bill does. There are no other references to specific Ministers in the Legal Code.

Seeing that this is a straightforward bill and nobody appears to have any serious disagreements, I am request that formal debate be shortened to two days.

I object! Standardization is bad. Also you already have too many bills passed, and are in danger of exceeding the legal maximum as defined in the Constibillocode. So there.

Well when somebody inevitably brings you up on charges of excessive legislation, you can bet that I'll cast an immediate vote for you to be found guilty if I'm still on the court. :mellow:

Hmmm, I haven't seen what Crushing Our Enemies has to say about how the RA will vote on this bill, so I will be abstaining until he gives a clear indication of the will of the RA... :unsure:

Democratic Donkeys:
Hmmm, I haven't seen what Crushing Our Enemies has to say about how the RA will vote on this bill, so I will be abstaining until he gives a clear indication of the will of the RA... :unsure:
That's a sig worthy comment. hahaha

I've just realised(realized) how sneaky our penguin overlord has been here.

It's standardise not standardize! >:[

I object to the vote being scheduled. I will not sit idle and let r3n be a successful legislator nor can I allow our time honored traditions of multiple spelling variations and ackward phrasing come under attack.

This was exactly what I was proposing in my campaign thread.

This gets the Romanoffia Stamp of Approval. :winner:

The funny thing is that if I would have proposed exactly this, it would have gone straight down the crapper. I mean, after all, it's Roman and no one ever listens to Roman.

As the real prognosticator or unintended consequences, I predict this bill will ultimately wipe out raiders in TNP. :lol:

I'm not joking.

Romanoffia:
As the real prognosticator or unintended consequences, I predict this bill will ultimately wipe out raiders in TNP. :lol:

I'm not joking.
Roman is correct. Now that I signed the bill into law, the purge begins.

Crushing Our Enemies:
Roman has officially fallen off the wagon, everyone.

You're the one who has fallen off the wagon. See what r3n said.

r3naissanc3r:
Romanoffia:

I'm not joking.
Roman is correct. Now that I signed the bill into law, the purge begins.

I do have to say, while I would have tried to make peace between the Raiders and Defenders and used them to the advantage of the region, r3n, you have exhibited a magnificent display of Realpolitik I have ever seen pulled off in TNP! My hat is off to you! :worship: :clap:

The beauty is that all I have to do is to voice objection to legislation for exactly the reasons the end goal is intended to produce, and the very people who would otherwise be against the bill for those reasons, vote for it.

And in the end, TNP proves that it will always be a region that defends the victims of unwarranted aggression for the sake of unwarranted aggression.

Blue Wolf will be livid, which is ironic because the term 'livid' literally means to turn blue (in terms of what a coroner would say).

I declare r3n the Sultan of Irony, the Emperor of Tact (tact being the ability to tell someone to go straight to Hell and then have them actually thank you because they are looking forward to the trip)!

Back