ARCHIVED: Divisions of Desperation

mcmasterdonia

Just like a queef in the wind, so is life
-
-
-
TNP Nation
McMasterdonia
Rosemary Whent walked quickly down the hallway and into the observatory on the eastern side of the Manor House that had been her home since her birth. She had convened a meeting of the Lords and Ladies of various cities that she had hoped would be supportive of her cause to bring McMasterdonia back from the brink of an abyss that would lead only to tyranny, economic collapse and risk the lives of millions of McMasterdonian's.

dining_room.jpg

A long oak table stood in the middle of the room, in the centre was a long crimson centre piece that bore the words of the McMasterdonian national anthem

God of justice, You have saved us
from damnation till this day;
Hear our voices from this day,
And from now be our salvation.
Our beautiful homeland,
Dear country glorious and fearful,
Our fathers' old glory,
May you be blessed forever!
Forward, the flags of glory,
To the fight blood of heroes.
For well being of the Fatherland,
Let the rifles speak.
God save, God protect,
Our Regent and our people!
Regent Matilda, God protect,
Praying to You is all our kind!

Rosemary had found it difficult at first when she contemplated breaking her oath to the Queen. Centuries of tradition, the risk of imprisonment and death for her family and the possible oppression of the people of Capricornia were all at risk when she decided to flee the capital in the middle of the night to organise a gathering of the most influential state and local leaders to consider rebellion against the ruling monarch.

"Ladies and Gentlemen, I am glad that you agreed to heed my call. It is a matter or urgency and absolute secrecy, which is why I have asked you to gather here at this time of night" she said,

"I think we all know why we are here your grace. You're considering rebellion against our Queen, rebellion against the state itself. We are risking our own imprisonment by being here with you" bellowed Baron Richard of Ceduna

"Another example of her majesties tyranny... I had high hopes for her reign, her father was a wise and just leader. It is disappointing that it has come to this. For all we know, there is already a warrant out for our arrest. The Queen will know that we are here, the intelligence service is everywhere." said Lady Isabella of Castello "We know why we are here, we are all disturbed at the Queen's treachery and her blatant disregard for the rule of law and the traditions that have kept this nation afloat for the last three centuries...."

"Mrs Hansoon is still under arrest. Her children have been put in my care in the interim. All we can do now is wait..."

Meanwhile in Intelligentsia.....

The Queen sat at the center of the Emerald room, the meeting place of the Council of State. The Emerald room was the second oldest room in the palace dating back to the third era and the reign of King Theodore the mad, well before the formation of the Federal Kingdom of McMasterdonia. Rumors had been circulating the capital that the Duchess of Capricornia had met with many of the Lords and Ladies of the various cities of McMasterdonia and was preparing a coup d'etat against the government. The Council of State had been in session for several hours, various Lords and Earls had been yelling on and on for hours, while her young son Prince Robert sat by her side learning the subtle art that is politics in the Kingdom"

"Your Majesty! You must not give these people an inch, for they will only take a mile. If the Duchess of Capricornia is preparing to lay siege to the capital, we must act now and attempt to draw her supporters out from the shadows" yelled the Count of Augusta

"Your Lordship, we have nothing to fear from the Duchess of Capricornia. She is little more than a populist who has learned how to follow the prejudices of the Senators and exploit the fears of our people. They will soon see through her facade and return to supporting the one true leader of the Kingdom. The last time a rebellion was led against the rightful monarch, the usurpers and anarchists drowned at sea. The people have not forgotten that."

"Even worse than that Your Majesty.. there are calls for your abdication. The Senate is expected to vote to remove you from the-.."

"Such a vote would be an illegality and can not be allowed"

"Your Majesty, if such a vote were to pass and you did not resign, it would only aid to the oppositions claim of tyranny and a power struggle between the palace and the elected government... you must be very careful your majesty. These are dark times indeed"

A Statement to the Senate:
OHMS

Honourable Senators,

It has come to my attention that you intend to violate the constitution of the Kingdom of McMasterdonia in a vote that is scheduled for this afternoon at five o'clock. Further, this vote to remove the legitimate monarch and your head of state from the throne is in violation of your oath as Senators.

For that reason, I am left with no option but to prorogue parliament for an indefinite period. It is clear to me that the evil and immorality of separatism and division has found it's way into the Senate itself. For that reason, the Senate in it's current form can no longer be trusted to truly represent the McMasterdonian people.

Senate elections will occur on the first of March 2014. All members of the Liberty Alliance and the McMasterdonian Peoples Party are banned from running in this election as enemies of the state.

Yours,

Queen Matilda R,
Queen of McMasterdonia
Countess Palatine of Intelligentsia and Duchess of Cape El,

Chancellor Cody Vassar, finished up his late breakfast of apple danish. He opened the Ciessa Daily and saw a large headline: "MCMASTERDONIA QUEEN DISSOLVES SENATE." He blinked and rubbed his eyes several times. Then he picked up a green phone and said, "S1?"

"At your service," a nondescript voice replied immediately.

"Why did I not find out immediately about the freaking government overhaul in McMasterdonia?!"

"Mr. Chancellor, please calm down and-"

"No. NO. Don't tell me what to do, this is ridiculous. The newspaper found out before the head of our country. Just get me before a camera."

Minutes later, Vassar had scribbled down some vague talking points and was in the Press Briefing Room. "Thank you for coming out on such short notice," he said, and the room quieted down. "I'd like to talk about the McMasterdonian senate dissolution. Queen Matilda's decision to shut down her country's democratic legislature simply based on political grudges that she had suspected. This is undemocratic and while we currently support Her Majesty as the rightful ruler of her nation, banning political parties without any evidence of corruption or crime is unacceptable, and we urge her to reconsider at once. There will be consequences if she continues to suppress her people. Thank you."

Tiraspol, Malvad 1900 hours
Northern Operations Center

A group of ministers sat quietly in a dark meeting room. Among them was the Defense Minister, the Foreign Minister, the State Minister, the MISA Director, the Military Chief, and on three screens the WA Ambassador, and the Ambassadors to McMasterdonia and TNP. They had been summoned by the Prime Minister to discuss the recent events in McMasterdonia. Suddenly Prime Minister Stan Voris burst into the room.

"Thank you all for coming. As you all know there has been a great deal of political tension in McMasterdonia lately. The Queen, who also serves as Chancellor, has dissolved the Senate. Many Senators appear to be in rebellion and are on the side of the Duchess of Capricornia. I must make a statement on this and I want all possible courses of action to be considered. What are my options?"

WA Ambassador Reynolds spoke up first, "Before any course is decided we must remember that McMasterdonia is the WA Delegate for the region. To go against the government would show us lacking support of our own Delegate."

"And to add to that Prime Minister," said Ambassador to TNP Lawrence, "Anything showing that we do not support the Delegate could chill our relations with many of the other nations in the region."

"Thank you Ambassadors. I do understand that blatantly siding against the government could end badly for us. Let me pose this question though: which side has more legitimacy?"

"I can answer that," said Foreign Minister Donaldson, "In December, the Council of State held a vote of no confidence in the Queen as Chancellor. They voted against her, but Queen Matilda refused to resign. Former Speaker of the Senate Elizabeth Hansoon moved it forward and the Duchess of Capricornia, Rosemary Whent, was chosen as the new Chancellor. She was at the time the Foreign Minister. She initially declined because of the Queen's refusal to accept the result. However she has now sided against the Queen. So it is a very messy issue right now. I propose we see how the situation unfolds and go from there."

"Thank you Minister. I must agree with her. There is no clear right side to choose currently. I will make a statement expressing that Malvad does not wish to side in this political debacle. In the mean time I want Ambassador Samson to meet with the Queen and the Duchess of Capricornia to gain more information. I also want MISA agents placed on both sides. Dismissed."

The Senate
Greer Avenue, Intelligentsia

"Honorable Senators, we must remain strong in the face of this outrageous action by the Queen. We cannot stand for this attack on our rights... We have allowed the Queen to expand her powers for far too long and it is now time to take a stand against tyranny and corruption from the throne itself. Queen Matilda has desecrated the throne that she inherited from her Father and must abdicate immediately" said Acting Speaker Mark Warren to the gathered Senators

"Today... in order to show our displeasure at the actions of the Queen we have enacted several laws that have been met with the disapproval of the monarch. For too long we have allowed corporate greed fill the pockets of our Head of State to the detriment of our environment... for too long have we allowed the monarch's desire for cultural dominance to undermine the education of our children and for too long has the freedom of the press been diminished in the name of protecting the integrity of the crown. All arms and offices of the Senate will do as much as they can to allow these laws to be rolled out across the nation"

The Senate had continued to sit in protest of the use of constitutional powers that have long been held to be ceremonial only. Namely the power of the monarch to give royal decree's that have a stronger force than the constitution itself. The outlawing of two major political parties has resulted in thousands of citizens standing in a circle of support around the Senate. The Senators knew that the Queen would not dare order the military to assault citizens of the nation out of fear of receiving the condemnation of the International community.

The Throne Room,
Tiyidess Palace, Intelligentsia.

"Your Majesty.... the Senate continues to ignore your dissolution and the International community has started to question the legitimacy of your actions" said Count Gregor of Augusta, bowing before the throne

"Law enforcement will not allow the Senate to legislate on any matter without my assent."

"Your majesty.... Law enforcement is focusing it's energies on containing the protests.. They will not put much resources towards this. Our priority needs to be on establishing where the financing of the rebellion is coming from and how to appease the international community."

"Send a letter to the Malvad Ambassador, I must meet with him immediately... I will issue a statement to be released to the International tabloids"

Statement from Her Majesties Government​

Earlier this week, her majesty the Queen was forced to exercise constitutional powers that have long laid dormant and viewed as ceremonial. These powers have remained in the Constitution for times of great political controversy or where political leaders refuse to act or are unable to act in the interests of the nation.

The Senate has become a puppet of foreign governments and rural war lords who seek to destabilize the Governemnt for their own political advantage. The Queen was born into the House of McMaster, a family that has served his nation for several centuries, a family that has always put the interest of the nation before their own political or economic benefit.

These rural warmongering Lords and Ladies seek the throne for themselves. These treasonous aristocrats have formerly been held in high regard and have occupied positions of trust and power in the Kingdom. All previous achievements have been undone, through their recent attempts to usurp Her Royal Majesty and to subvert the government have forced Her Royal Majesties hand in this regard.

The Duchess of Capricornia Rosemary Whent, The Baron Richard Lund of Ceduna, and The Lady Isabella Granthem of Castello have been the lead perpetrators in these unacceptable attacks against the nation and against the crown. Accordingly, these reactionaries are stripped of all titles and properties, powers and privileges held therein. Any information on the whereabouts or activities of Ms Whent, Mr Lund and Mrs Granthem would be of great assistance to the Royal Security forces.

The Government would prefer a peaceful end to this rebellion and urges Ms Whent, Mr Lund and Mrs Granthem to hand themselves into the appropriate national authorities at once.

Signed,
Count Gregor of Augusta,
Official Palace Spokesperson and Minister of Information

The Royal Palace of the House of Olivotto
2300000006 | 001000006
Liverfool, The Constitutional Monarchy and Kingdom of Alunya

Queen Junia sat quietly in the drawing room with Prime Minister Dottoressa Valeria Petrini seated across the coffee table. After a moment of reflection, she replied, "I think we'll postpone any decision on that matter, at least until we consult with my father's government. What is the next item on the agenda?"

"That, Your Majesty, would be a crisis of governance in the Northern Lights of McMasterdonia," the good doctor proferred.

"Really? What of it?" Junia leaned forward, absentmindedly reaching for a spoon to stir her demitasse of espresso.

Petrini replied, "Well, it seems that the Duchess of Capricornia, whom you and your father addressed as the Minister of Foreign Affairs and Trade, is involved in a plot to overthrow the monarchy, whom Your Majesty also addressed in submitting the credentials of an ambassador to McMasterdonia."

"And who is that?" asked the Queen, her spoon now clinking inside the cup.

"If I may, your Majesty," the prime minister patiently explained, "the Duchess of Capricornia is Ms. Rosemary Whent, the Queen is Matilda whom we mistakenly addressed as Regent Countess Palatine, Signora Teresa Fiumicelli is your Majesty's proposed ambassador to McMasterdonia on behalf of the Constitutional Monarchy of Alunya, and Signora Ursulina Letitia Moscorinni is His Majesty King Guglielmo's proposed ambassador to McMasterdonia on behalf of the Kingdom of Alunya."

"I see. And has my ambassador, or that of my father, been accepted by the Government of McMasterdonia?"

"No, not yet," answered Petrini. "And at present they might not be. We do not know whether the ambassadors' credentials you and your father submitted are with the Duchess of Capricornia and her faction, or whether they are in the possession of the Queen. In either event, it is likely that the acceptance of either ambassador will take a back burner to more pressing issues within McMasterdonia. I counsel patience in this."

Junia picked up the saucer and cup and leaned back in her chair. "Yes, I suppose so. What is my government's position on this matter?"

The prime minister paused for a moment to gather her thoughts, then continued, "Well, it is delicate, Your Majesty. As you know, within our own nation, your government strongly favors a liberal democratic form of governance. So we are inclined to lend at least moral support to the Duchess of Capricornia and the Senate, should it vote to oust Queen Matilda. But we are aware that such a precedent may make Your Majesty uncomfortable in her own realm, and it would certainly be vigorously opposed by your father. Some of our more vociferous members in the Parliament would even like to offer sanctuary to the nascent democratic movement in McMasterdonia, even to the point of supplying arms and aid in the event of hostilities."

"On the other hand, your father's government is staunchly royalist, and he would certainly oppose any such support to what he would see as rebels to a legitimate monarchy. Our own civil war against his governance, which Your Majesty so graciously led, is ample proof of that. And the peace we have concluded with him requires that on foreign affairs our two governments must consult and reach mutual concordats as matters arise. Your Minister of External Affairs, Signore Giovanni Lobianco, is of the opinion that we will be unable to secure anything more from your father than a call for negotiations between the aggrieved parties in McMasterdonia."

Queen Junia frowned, then smiled. "Perhaps we should talk with the Apostolic Nuncio!"

Petrini arched her eyebrows, "Archbishop John Dunbar? But why, Your Majesty?"

"What is good for the goose is good for the gander," the Queen cryptically replied. "We should ask him to talk with Pope Urban IX with a request to His Holiness that he designate Archbishop Tadeo Crenoti as a mediator between Queen Matilda and the democratic movement."

Petrini was surprised. Archbishop Crenoti of the Metropolitan See of Pusseldorf had been the driving force behind the peaceful resolution of Alunya's civil war, it was true, but as far as she knew he had no experience in diplomatic relations, at least beyond the frontiers of Alunya. And while he had almost single-handedly crafted the Treaty of Pusseldorf which had seen Queen Junia's constitutional monarchy and her father King Guglielmo's absolutely monarchist government time-sharing the nation on alternate days. Petrini had doubts that such a proposal would fly amongst McMasterdonians. For one thing, unlike in Alunya, at least one of the parties was in opposition to any monarchy at all; for another, the Gregorian calendar likely in use in McMasterdonia did not lend itself easily to the concept of even and odd days.

And then a more terrifying thought struck the Prime Minister. She looked up startled to see Queen Junia looking expectantly for a reply.

"Your Majesty," Petrini stammered, "there are some ramifications one must consider. Suppose, for the moment, that McMasterdonians were to embrace a solution similar to ours, with two, or more, governments time-sharing their nation. It would greatly complicate things for them, and also for us, in terms of foreign relations with states. For one thing, Your Majesty's government would need to establish relations with each of their governments, and they may, or may not, wish to do the same with both of the governments of Alunya. Our solution at the present works for us, but I think you would agree that its spread beyond our borders would be a nightmare for the international community. We may all be better served by having the McMasterdonians find their own singular solution, even if it means self-induced armed conflict within their nation."

The Queen pouted. "I was just hoping we could help the McMasterdonians avoid a civil war. You know how costly it was here in Alunya -- all the dead and maimed, the thousand of buildings ruined, the anger and hate. Surely my government would not want to see another state suffer such a fate?"

"Of course not," the prime minister consoled. "But it may be naive to think that a solution that worked here may work elsewhere, if I may be so blunt..."

"You may," Junia acceded. "Please continue..."

"Thank you," answered Petrini. "I do not wish to discourage Your Majesty's line of reasoning. It may be that the Archbishop could indeed mediate a potential conflict in McMasterdonia. But I think it is important for your government to discuss this with your father's government, and then proceed to discuss it with the the Apostolic Nuncio, the Roman Catholic Church, and Archbishop Crenoti himself. And we must not forget that it is Queen Matilda and her opposition that are the most important actors in any resolution. I would advise that we gather further information and consult with any possible parties before launching any grandiose schemes. It isn't our place to advise others on how to resolve conflicts."

"Point taken," Junia sighed. "But I must disagree on the latter point -- moral leadership requires moral stances, and avoiding unnecessary bloodshed should always be a stance my government should always be prepared to advance. Please make the effort to consult with the parties, and at our next meeting report further on the situation within McMasterdonia."

"Yes, Your Majesty," Petrini responded.

"And the next item on your agenda?" Junia asked, brightening.

Petrini glanced at her notes. "Yes, the next item concerns the Republic of Bolidor. Their Chief of the Secret Police, Roberto Straussman, has passed word through an intermediary that they might be willing to disclose the location of their El Presidente Alphonse Simms and the cat Rimshot, if we would agree to end the war against them and share the cat in situ. It seems that most of their troops enjoy the company of Rimshot, as he is a very happy cat, and have taken to fighting each other in order to be around the cat. The Bolidoreans believe this is adversely impacting the morale of their troops, and so they would like to negotiate a cease-fire."

"I told you Rimshot was a great cat," Junia squealed.

"We all know that," Petrini smiled. "May I continue?"

"Of course, of course..."

An aide burst into the Ambassador's office. "Mr. Ambassador, sir, I have a letter for you from the Queen and the Count of Augusta."

"Thank you lad. Now please return to your duties."

"Yes Ambassador."

The aide bowed and left the room. Ambassador Samson opened the letter. He read it quickly and then put it with a small stack of papers. He gathered up some notes and a notepad and picked up the phone.

"Denise, have them pull the car around. I have a meeting with the Queen."

"Your Grace, Please ensure that the guard performs a full ceremonial changing of the guard in celebration of the Ambassadors. You will need to heighten the security measures on Intelligentsia Avenue for the Ambassadors arrival, we may visit my father's basilica to pay our respects as well." the Queen said

"Yes your majesty. The Security Services will be out in force, the rebels are relentless.... they could strike at any time."

Intelligentsia was a mess. Not even five minutes after leaving the embassy protesters had surrounded the Ambassador's motorcade. The embassy gates were quickly closed as some men tried to storm in. Guards members came running out of the embassy to protect the gates. The protesters eventually backed off to go after the Ambassador. News had gotten out that Ambassador Samson was going to meet the queen. As Malvad had declared neutrality in the current crisis, many citizens of McMasterdonia were displeased that the Queen's actions had not been condemned.

As the motorcade moved down Intelligentsia Avenue the effects of the political crisis were obvious. Many buildings had been damaged by recent riots. Impoverished citizens warmed themselves by makeshift fires and many were lying in the street. Protesters attempted to storm the motorcade but were quickly halted by government police. Riots broke out and there were many clashes with the police. McMasterdonia was on the brink of civil war.

It took nearly an hour to reach Tiyidess Palace. The gates were opened and the Ambassador was rushed in. The gates were then immediately closed.

Back