Failed Repeal: "Permit Male Circumcision" [Complete] [Complete]

Abacathea

TNPer
Repeal "Permit Male Circumcision"
A resolution to repeal previously passed legislation.

Category: Repeal

Resolution: GA#141

Proposed by: Bodobol​

Description: WA General Assembly Resolution #141: Permit Male Circumcision (Category: Human Rights; Strength: Mild) shall be struck out and rendered null and void.

Argument: AFFIRMING the intent of General Assembly Resolution #141, 'Permit Male Circumcision', to allow the practice of circumcision within all World Assembly member-states,

HOWEVER CONCERNED with the apparent flaws in the resolution that infringe on a newborn's rights,

TROUBLED by the fact that this resolution allows circumcision, a painful and typically unnecessary medical procedure, to be legally performed on non-consenting newborns,

NOTING that, as of yet, there is still only inconclusive data regarding the potential health benefits of the procedure,

DISTURBED by the fact that under the provisions of GAR#141, member-states are granted the power to enforce any laws they wish regarding circumcision that don't ban the practice; including government-enforced circumcision,

REGRETTING that patients in some member-states with high circumcision complication rates may not be granted the power to make an informed medical decision regarding the process,

FURTHER REGRETTING that although circumcision is often practiced for religious purposes, a newborn is not of the mental capability to choose a religion, thereby infringing on the newborn's rights,

HEREBY REPEALS General Assembly Resolution #141.

mowa-seal.png

MINISTERIAL REVIEW;

The repeal is written well in this instance, which is always a good sign. Unfortunately, the arguments it presents are pretty weak. We will refute them in no particular order.

REGRETTING that patients in some member-states with high circumcision complication rates may not be granted the power to make an informed medical decision regarding the process

What the repeal author fails to take into account here, is that the Patients Rights Act actually works directly against this, it mandates that all patients (and in the case of patients under age, legal guardians);

"have the right to be involved in decisions concerning their care and to be given full and accurate information about the nature of their illnesses, diagnostic procedures, risks and necessity of alternative procedures, the proposed treatment and the costs involved, provided that such information does not violate the medical confidentiality of other persons.".

This clause essentially nullifies entirely the above argument and several others within the text, specifically pertaining to consent and bodily autonomy, as the Patients Rights Act adequately would cover the bulk of these arguments rather concisely.

DISTURBED by the fact that under the provisions of GAR#141, member-states are granted the power to enforce any laws they wish regarding circumcision that don't ban the practice; including government-enforced circumcision

Again, this is a rather exaggerated argument by the repeal author here, nations are permitted to allow the act only, this does not prevent them from regulating it, and again, the Patient Rights Act essentially trumps any accusation that governments may be abusing the law to their own end.

SUGGESTED VOTE;

In truth, the repeal author didn't really do their homework here, as a result of an indirect house of cards here, the bulk of the arguments presented by the author are easily refuted. The only really substantiated argument is the religious grounds one, but the ministry does not consider this when weighted against the strength of the original resolution enough to warrant it's repeal.

As a result, the suggested vote to the region here is AGAINST.

As per usual this is a suggested vote only, please vote FOR, AGAINST or ABSTAIN below.

I think this should be decided on a national level, personally, and - for once - the resolution in question ensures that WA nations can do exactly that.

Plus, if this passes, I think it's quite likely that we'll have an endless circle jerk of circumcision-related proposals ... and since Knoot isn't active to resubmit this one, I suspect I'll grow to hate seeing/voting on circumcision-related proposals as much as I've grown sick of Chemical Weapons-related proposals.

Mousebumples:
I think this should be decided on a national level, personally, and - for once - the resolution in question ensures that WA nations can do exactly that.

Plus, if this passes, I think it's quite likely that we'll have an endless circle jerk of circumcision-related proposals ... and since Knoot isn't active to resubmit this one, I suspect I'll grow to hate seeing/voting on circumcision-related proposals as much as I've grown sick of Chemical Weapons-related proposals.
:agree:

Voting on this resolution has ended.

Thanks to those nations who cast their votes. Your participation is a great help to the region.

This topic has been locked and sent to the Archives for safekeeping. If you would like this topic to be re-opened for further discussion, please contact the WA Delegate, a Global Moderator, or an Administrator for assistance. Thank you.

Voting on this resolution has ended.

Thanks to those nations who cast their votes. Your participation is a great help to the region.

This topic has been locked and sent to the Archives for safekeeping. If you would like this topic to be re-opened for further discussion, please contact the WA Delegate, a Global Moderator, or an Administrator for assistance. Thank you.

Back