New admin

Please consider this an official objection.

What you want to do with that is up to you guys, but I'm stating it for the record regardless.

Er, right, yes sorry I forgot it was on the IRC.

I don't think Punk will be particularly effective at making good judgement calls, especially those that are time-sensitive. In my opinion he's not shown any ability to do so in the past.

I am also concerned by this decision.

Given the recent removal of both Ator People and Eluvatar, the admin team's only codemonkeys, could we possibly be given the reasons why the admins felt that adding another non-coding admin was the right approach, and why Punk specifically was selected?

And given that we have no coding admins now, can we expect further additions to the admin team to restore this lack? If so, how many? Are applications/nominations being accepted, or is the admin team recruiting potential candidates by itself?

I share Sanctaria's and SillyString's concerns, and I am not comfortable with Punk D being involved in administrator discussions because of them. In addition, I worry that elevating someone of punk's level of unpopularity would have a negative effect on the confidence that the general forum population has in the decisions of the admin team. That the admin team seems not to have considered this is troubling.

Administration of the offsite forum is an OOC task. A players possible IC "popularity" seems like a very poor reason for rejecting the choice.

Also, how do you determine whether or not he is unpopular? I believe his recall votes failed. If he was very unpopular would not this be otherwise? Simply because a handful of people do not like him doesn't mean he is unpopular.

Further, where has the player behind PunkD's nation ever shown to be poor at making good judgement calls or moving swiftly? His IC persona being encumbered by a laborious legal system that is asinine from start to finish seems like another poor reason for rejecting the choice.

The coding issue I can not comment upon as I do not know whether the player behind the nation has coding capability or not. What I do know is that the CP for Zetaboards is somewhat intuitive and that a relative novice can effectively manage it with little trouble. No coding required. (And if it is required then it can be found on the Zetaboards forums.)

Gracius Maximus:
The coding issue I can not comment upon as I do not know whether the player behind the nation has coding capability or not. What I do know is that the CP for Zetaboards is somewhat intuitive and that a relative novice can effectively manage it with little trouble. No coding required. (And if it is required then it can be found on the Zetaboards forums.)
There are several add ons in which have been coded by Elu which need to be maintained by someone who knows coding.

In the nicest possible way Gracius Maximus, no. If you go back to more recent posts by the admin team they themselves have acknowledged that an Administrator needs the support of the forum. Coding experience was also requested as a valuable prerequisite in applications. While you *can* copy paste code fairly easily in ZB, it's necessary to understand what the code DOES so that it doesn't blow up.

I personally don't agree with this appointment either and I have agreed with the appointment of every other recent forum admin, otherwise.

Regardless, I'll respect Flem's decision on the matter. Congratulations on the new position Punk D.

Ah, then I stand corrected (something I am willing to admit OOC) in regards to the coding. Although, if I could do it, and I have multiple times for communities much larger than this, then anyone can.

While I may concede that previous administrative appointments were made in such a way as to placate the masses, I still do not see that as a requirement. Further, I see no reason to assume that PunkD is not generally popular within the offsite community. Aside from the unhappy few that spurred the recall votes towards their ultimate failure I have not seen numerous complaints about him elsewhere.

an3q.jpg

I'll just watch from behind this slab of concrete. Congrats on your appointment, Punk.

I'd like to just say a few things.

One, I'm very honored and humbled by this. Truly honored and truly humbled. I can't say that enough guys.

The person, Don, is nearly speechless. There's game and then there's admin responsibilities. I take admining very seriously. I have applied to be an admin the very first time the boards opened back in 2005 and I was close, but not close enough. I have bugged GBM and Flem a bit about becoming a Global Mod from time to time, but I never expected this.

I plan to learn from the active admins and help wherever I can. Again, game and admin are two different things and wherever I have admined before I take that seriously. But I plan to be a learner and take my cues from the great admins we have. I hope to allay some of the fears expressed in this thread, specifically my popularity.

CoE's comments strike me as odd because none of the decisions I made were related to any type of admin. I have disagreed with a number of game decisions by Flem, GBM, and McM and I'm sure all of our game personas will continue to have healthy discussions on issues. But, one thing I like about TNP is that we seem to be able to make that separation between game and admin stuff. Heck, I wish TNP admins were NS moderators. Life would be so much easier.

As for codemonkeying, I'm open to learning. Back in the late 90s I was pretty good at html. I write SQL queries often in RL. I did write a cheesy auto-TG script using Solm's old script prior to the new TG rules.

But I'll go back to my initial comments. I'm humbled, honored, and I'm looking forward to helping the admin team however they see fit.

I'm still hoping someone can answer if we'll be getting any more new admins... It'd be really, really nice if the Government page and such could get updated regularly again. ;)

Back