Statement Regarding Romanoffia's Campaign for Vice Delegate

Statement Regarding Romanoffia's Campaign for Vice Delegate
ec-seal.png
There is a persistent flaw in the human conscious brain called confirmation bias. People will tend to focus on that which agrees with them. This is not a conscious process, but the devilish thing is that knowing of confirmation bias can make it stronger, as it causes us to disproportionately see when people we disagree with succumb to it! To understand that you are mistaken, moreover that you have made a mistake, is something people have terrible difficulty with. We are, we find, no exception.

The Election Commission stands by its responsibility to supervise and oversee elections, including determining a legal protocol for nominations and voting. Without the necessary power to specify, to the last necessary detail, the process for nominations and voting, we would be unable to perform the duties of the office. Because of this, we had to fervently oppose a legal push to strip this commission of that essential ability.

The Election Commission intended to require nominations and declarations of candidacy to be all made in the pinned Nominations topic. This would allow for an easily accessible historical record of the nomination process, and trivially verifiable completeness and validity of nominations by any RA member. This has been the practice of previous Election Commissions as far we know for at least since the legal code revamp, and as far as we know before then as well. Not all Election Commissions have stated this clearly.

Reviewing our own opening of the election, we now find that our directions were not merely insufficiently clear but simply did not express what needed to be said. Because of this, and because the three of us failed to send Romanoffia a notice that he needed to declare his candidacy officially, we agree that the eventual decision not to put Romanoffia on the ballot was also a mistake.

We will continue our work of composing a manual for future Election Commissions to avoid these pitfalls. In the case of this election however, we must take corrective action.

1. The voting for Delegate and Speaker will continue as scheduled.
2. The votes for Vice Delegate on this ballot will be thrown out.
3. A new ballot will begin shortly for Vice Delegate, including Romanoffia.

~The Election Commision (Eluvatar, Hileville and Lord Ravenclaw)

Ed. Note: The Election Commission discussed this matter from (time=1368576360) to (time=1368577680) and, having decided on this path, revised a prepared draft of this resolution from (time=1368583200) to the time of this posting.

Can't hurt anyone, can it?

The one problem with this is that now the shitstorm is now a meaningless nitstorm. Damn you, TNP legislatory process!
EDIT: Just thought it might be interesting to note that there is a red line under "shitstorm," but none under "nitstorm." It appears I've happened upon an odd pocket of Windows law. Commence the Googling.

This is a most excellent course of action. I applaud the Commission on its common sense, desire for fairness and forward-thinking plan to establish standing election rules.

Perhaps next time the region stumbles across a molehill, they'll give the Election Commission some time to sort it out and talk it over with them before running respectively to the courts, the AG, and the RA.

Crushing Our Enemies:
Perhaps next time the region stumbles across a molehill, they'll give the Election Commission some time to sort it out and talk it over with them before running respectively to the courts, the AG, and the RA.
Reasses your use of "molehill." Leaving a legal candidate off an election ballot is not a molehill.

Great Bights Mum:
This is a most excellent course of action. I applaud the Commission on its common sense, desire for fairness and forward-thinking plan to establish standing election rules.
And that was the point of the whole exercise.

We all hear calls for change yet we just end up with the same thing, increasingly nebulous same-old-same-old. The only way to accomplish change and to simplify laws is to challenge them and fight until a more precise and more simple set of fixed rules can be arrived at.

The best way to illustrate a failure of any system is to legally push that failed point to the limit until it breaks thus exposing the flaws that need to be corrected. That is the way democracy and courts should work. When a system becomes to nebulous in its rules, its complexity grows exponentially.

I thank the Elections Commission for this decision.

Funkadelia:
Crushing Our Enemies:
Reasses your use of "molehill." Leaving a legal candidate off an election ballot is not a molehill.
It is when he's put back on after a few days.

Yeah, and I'm sure that he would have been put back on had he not made a fuss. Give me a break, it is wholly unbecoming for the Speaker to be demeaning the rights afforded to the people just because he disagrees with the conext the rights are used in.

I am deeply disappointed by this decision, as having the elections run in such a staggered manner will assuredly have effects upon the various elections which will be unfair to various candidates. A full restart of the elections would have been preferable, so at this time I will be looking into appropriate legal actions to halt the elections until a remedy can be found.

Democratic Donkeys:
Yeah, and I'm sure that he would have been put back on had he not made a fuss. Give me a break, it is wholly unbecoming for the Speaker to be demeaning the rights afforded to the people just because he disagrees with the conext the rights are used in.
I'm not demeaning the rights at all! I think the power of the assembly to recall, and the power of assembly members to file criminal charges and requests for review are close to the heart of our democracy. It's out of reverence for these rights and powers that I demean the way they are commonly used by many members of the region: kneejerk reactions to anything someone does that they don't like.

Mall does have a point because who one votes for for one position may affect who one votes for in relation to the other choices in another position.

I have observed members continuing to vote for Vice-Delegate in the initial thread. I think people might be confused, and maybe don't realize they have to vote in the new thread.

It might be wise to eliminate the vice-delegate line from the OP of the voting thread, and send a message to the whole RA about the change.

Mall:
I am deeply disappointed by this decision, as having the elections run in such a staggered manner will assuredly have effects upon the various elections which will be unfair to various candidates. A full restart of the elections would have been preferable, so at this time I will be looking into appropriate legal actions to halt the elections until a remedy can be found.
I doubt you'd be saying this if you were winning.

Crushing Our Enemies:
It might be wise to eliminate the vice-delegate line from the OP of the voting thread, and send a message to the whole RA about the change.
That would be a wise course of action given that it will only lead to more hoo-hah.

Romanoffia:
Crushing Our Enemies:
That would be a wise course of action given that it will only lead to more hoo-hah.
That has already been done.

I have a question.

I know that there are several ongoing injunctions in the Court so I won't belabor the issues expressed therein but I do find one thing puzzling.

The Legal Code outlines the election cycle in a great bit of detail. There are seven days for nominations/declaration and seven days for voting and a further seven days for the Oath of Office, etc. etc.

But, if the Vice-Delegate election was halted and then restarted, doesn't it then fall outside of the 14-day election cycle? And in doing so, couldn't it be argued that the position of Vice-Delegate, having missed the legally mandated window, becomes vacant?

In such a circumstance, wouldn't the Vice-Delegate election itself need to be specified as a Special Election and follow that format and legal guide expressly?

It would seem that the Vice-Delegate election as it currently stands is in and of itself in violation of TNP Law.

Just a thought.

Back