TNP Nation
Cormactopia III
Discord
Cormac#0804
liberty.png

Liberty Party of The North Pacific
Freedom, Democracy and Justice for All

Preamble

We, the members of the Liberty Party of The North Pacific, seek a region in which the freedom of every individual citizen to contribute to and participate in the region in his or her own way is respected and cherished; in which every facet of government is guided by a democratic process that is open to as many citizens as practical and possible; and in which justice is upheld as a universal principle that applies to all of our internal and external dealings.

Principles

The Liberty Party of The North Pacific advocates the following principles to guide The North Pacific in the right direction as the region moves forward into a new era:

Freedom: We believe that every citizen of The North Pacific should be free to contribute to and participate in the region in his or her own way. The purpose of The North Pacific's government, particularly its executive government, should be to facilitate citizen participation and to open up new ways for citizens to participate in their region -- not to restrict citizen participation.

Democracy: We believe that every facet of The North Pacific's government should be guided by a democratic process that is as open to as many citizens as practical and possible. We support the continuation of democratic elections for the Delegate, the Vice Delegate, the Speaker of the Regional Assembly and the Council of Five and of a directly democratic Regional Assembly that is open to all citizens.

Justice: We believe that justice is a universal principle that should apply to all of The North Pacific's internal and external dealings. Internally, we support a justice system that is more efficient while guaranteeing that no citizen meets with injustice in our legal system. Externally, we believe that all of The North Pacific's diplomatic and military affairs should strive toward treating other members of the interregional community in a just and honorable way while continuing to pursue our regional interests.

Platform

WA Status
The Liberty Party of The North Pacific believes that citizens can and do make valuable contributions to the region regardless of their WA status. We advocate the reversal of the recently implemented executive policy restricting WA voting to only those citizens who have WA nations in The North Pacific or who are in the NPA. We oppose any new initiative that would restrict the rights of citizens based on their WA status or that would make citizenship itself dependent upon WA status.

Preservation of TNP Democracy
The Liberty Party of The North Pacific finds few flaws in our democratic process as it currently exists, and none which would justify a radical alteration of that process. We oppose any initiative that would undermine the democratic process by which the Delegate, Vice Delegate, Speaker of the Regional Assembly and Council of Five are selected, and any initiative that would replace our directly democratic Regional Assembly with a representative parliament that would give most citizens only an indirect and passive role in The North Pacific's legislature.

Legal Reform
The Liberty Party of The North Pacific insists that a legal system which is truly just must be a system that is efficient and coherent while ensuring that it continues to deal fairly with citizens. We will move the Regional Assembly in the direction of legal reform to ensure that every citizen is ensured equal protection and treatment under the law, that our legal system is understandable to everyone from the average citizen to members of the judiciary and that no valid case goes unprosecuted due to prosecutorial neglect or misconduct.

Interregional Affairs
The Liberty Party of The North Pacific believes that for The North Pacific to have an impact and effectively pursue its interests on the interregional stage it must have a coherent and consistent strategy for doing so. We advocate the pursuit of diplomatic relations with regions that share our liberal and democratic values and the severance of relations with those that do not. We will work to ensure that The North Pacific pursues our liberal and democratic values in the WA Security Council by voting to commend those who have advanced interregional freedom, democracy and justice; to condemn those who have done serious harm to these principles; and to liberate the natives of founderless regions who have been deprived by invading forces of free entry to their region, democratic government and just treatment.

Military Policy
The Liberty Party of The North Pacific affirms that the principal purpose of The North Pacific Army (NPA) should be the defense of The North Pacific and that all secondary activities should be beneficial to regional security and defense. We advocate blanket authorization for the Minister of Defense to pursue the defense, liberation and restoration of any founderless region that is being or has been invaded, believing that the defense of founderless regions will gain allies willing to come to our defense when necessary. Acknowledging that unjustified invasions are both unjust and counter to The North Pacific's interests, we insist that any invasion must be politically justified and should therefore have the approval of the Delegate, the Minister of Defense and a majority of the Council of Five or a declaration of war from the Regional Assembly.

Cormac Stark
unibot
Mahaj
Malvad
peoples empire
Kingborough
Redamerica
Iro
Tyler Kazakov
Tim
Koth
Welsh Cowboy

Anyone who would like to join the Liberty Party of The North Pacific is invited to do so by posting below. Once we have a few members, we'll work on establishing how the party will be internally governed.

If anyone who's better with graphic design than I am would like to work on a party logo that would be great.

I would like to join. However, as a member of the FlemParty, I would like to enquire as to whether this would prevent my entry to the Liberty Party?

madjack:
I would like to join. However, as a member of the FlemParty, I would like to enquire as to whether this would prevent my entry to the Liberty Party?
Unless this is changed by a party vote later, anyone who agrees with the LP platform and wants to join is welcome to do so regardless of other party affiliations. So, welcome! :hello:

Unibot - Of course. Welcome!

Mall - I'm sorry to hear that. I'm happy to have a discussion about the military policy if you'd like, and of course members of the party will be welcome to propose revisions to the platform. I don't expect that every member will agree with every word of the platform as written and I would encourage debate, though I would hope members would agree with the better part of the platform.

In the elections for cabinet, oftentimes parties are represented with a 80x80 logo, so here's one take on ours then:

liberty.png

Earth:
Mall:
You had me right up until the Military Policy.
Yeah, that.
What was he supposed to do? Have a Party Platform built on the principles of justice and rights that ends with: oh and we'll invade random regions for fun. :pinch:

This ain't no Europeia.

unibot:
Earth:
Mall:
Yeah, that.
What was he supposed to do? Have a Party Platform built on the principles of justice and rights that ends with: oh and we'll invade random regions for fun. :pinch:

This ain't no Europeia.
Yeah, I'm not getting into this again with you.

Pretty sure we talked last night about how regions going defender these days, less they go TITO-esque, doesn't help the region.

Earth:
Mall:
Yeah, that.
To be honest, the military policy as written in the platform isn't remarkably different from the current military policy in practice. The MoD seems -- although someone can correct me if I'm wrong since these are just my observations and I'm not actually privy to the discussions -- to have been given much broader discretion to conduct defenses, liberations and detags whereas raids seem to be being subjected to prior approval by the Delegate, the MoD and a majority of the Council of Five.

I'm not going to argue that the platform isn't defender-sympathetic, because I'd be lying. But it doesn't advocate anything much more than maintaining current practice, and it does allow an avenue for politically justified invasions if approved by the Delegate, the MoD and a majority of the Co5 or a declaration of war by the Regional Assembly. What it does not allow for is blanket authorization for politically unjustified arbitrary invasions at the MoD's discretion.

Earth:
unibot:
Earth:
Mall:
Yeah, that.

This ain't no Europeia.
Yeah, I'm not getting into this again with you.

Pretty sure we talked last night about how regions going defender these days, less they go TITO-esque, doesn't help the region.
Then the Party would have to support genuine neutrality (no aggressor missions against arbitrary non-warzone regions + no defending arbitrary regions) for the Platform not to be glaringly hypocritical.

I'm not sure if that bodes well for the activity of the Army, but that's certainly better than a Party that stands for liberty, justice and civil rights but undermines those principles with unjustified aggressor acts. >_>

I would like to join.

In case the OP ever gets changed to something weird or whatever, this is the OP at the time of this agreement.

Preamble

We, the members of the Liberty Party of The North Pacific, seek a region in which the freedom of every individual citizen to contribute to and participate in the region in his or her own way is respected and cherished; in which every facet of government is guided by a democratic process that is open to as many citizens as practical and possible; and in which justice is upheld as a universal principle that applies to all of our internal and external dealings.

Principles

The Liberty Party of The North Pacific advocates the following principles to guide The North Pacific in the right direction as the region moves forward into a new era:

Freedom: We believe that every citizen of The North Pacific should be free to contribute to and participate in the region in his or her own way. The purpose of The North Pacific's government, particularly its executive government, should be to facilitate citizen participation and to open up new ways for citizens to participate in their region -- not to restrict citizen participation.

Democracy: We believe that every facet of The North Pacific's government should be guided by a democratic process that is as open to as many citizens as practical and possible. We support the continuation of democratic elections for the Delegate, the Vice Delegate, the Speaker of the Regional Assembly and the Council of Five and of a directly democratic Regional Assembly that is open to all citizens.

Justice: We believe that justice is a universal principle that should apply to all of The North Pacific's internal and external dealings. Internally, we support a justice system that is more efficient while guaranteeing that no citizen meets with injustice in our legal system. Externally, we believe that all of The North Pacific's diplomatic and military affairs should strive toward treating other members of the interregional community in a just and honorable way while continuing to pursue our regional interests.

Platform

WA Status
The Liberty Party of The North Pacific believes that citizens can and do make valuable contributions to the region regardless of their WA status. We advocate the reversal of the recently implemented executive policy restricting WA voting to only those citizens who have WA nations in The North Pacific or who are in the NPA. We oppose any new initiative that would restrict the rights of citizens based on their WA status or that would make citizenship itself dependent upon WA status.

The Liberty Party of The North Pacific finds few flaws in our democratic process as it currently exists, and none which would justify a radical alteration of that process. We oppose any initiative that would undermine the democratic process by which the Delegate, Vice Delegate, Speaker of the Regional Assembly and Council of Five are selected, and any initiative that would replace our directly democratic Regional Assembly with a representative parliament that would give most citizens only an indirect and passive role in The North Pacific's legislature.

Legal Reform
The Liberty Party of The North Pacific insists that a legal system which is truly just must be a system that is efficient and coherent while ensuring that it continues to deal fairly with citizens. We will move the Regional Assembly in the direction of legal reform to ensure that every citizen is ensured equal protection and treatment under the law, that our legal system is understandable to everyone from the average citizen to members of the judiciary and that no valid case goes unprosecuted due to prosecutorial neglect or misconduct.

Interregional Affairs
The Liberty Party of The North Pacific believes that for The North Pacific to have an impact and effectively pursue its interests on the interregional stage it must have a coherent and consistent strategy for doing so. We advocate the pursuit of diplomatic relations with regions that share our liberal and democratic values and the severance of relations with those that do not. We will work to ensure that The North Pacific pursues our liberal and democratic values in the WA Security Council by voting to commend those who have advanced interregional freedom, democracy and justice; to condemn those who have done serious harm to these principles; and to liberate the natives of founderless regions who have been deprived by invading forces of free entry to their region, democratic government and just treatment.

Military Policy
The Liberty Party of The North Pacific affirms that the principal purpose of The North Pacific Army (NPA) should be the defense of The North Pacific and that all secondary activities should be beneficial to regional security and defense. We advocate blanket authorization for the Minister of Defense to pursue the defense, liberation and restoration of any founderless region that is being or has been invaded, believing that the defense of founderless regions will gain allies willing to come to our defense when necessary. Acknowledging that unjustified invasions are both unjust and counter to The North Pacific's interests, we insist that any invasion must be politically justified and should therefore have the approval of the Delegate, the Minister of Defense and a majority of the Council of Five or a declaration of war from the Regional Assembly.

Mahaj:
I would like to join.

In case the OP ever gets changed to something weird or whatever, this is the OP at the time of this agreement.

Preamble

Principles

Platform

WA Status

Legal Reform

Interregional Affairs

Military Policy
Yay, welcome!

And no worries, I won't be editing the OP (except possibly to include a roster in a spoiler) unless and until changes are approved by a vote of the party.

I look forward to a new interparty dynamic in The North Pacific, and to the development of improved linkage through honorable competition.

Fantastic to see another party pop up.

That said, I disagree that 'genuine neutrality' should have no raiding. That just sounds defender to me. :(

And no this is not another attack of Unibot - I don't actually disagree that the NPA going defender would probably be good for the region. I just feel that the NPA will thrive if it is allowed to raid and people should have the right to conduct sanctioned raider missions where applicable.

Anyway, I wish the party great success and when it has developed I may consider it in the future.

Well done Cormac.

Eluvatar:
I look forward to a new interparty dynamic in The North Pacific, and to the development of improved linkage through honorable competition.
Thanks Eluvatar! I'm looking forward to the same.

ADGN8:
I would like to join the Liberty Party.
Great, welcome!

mcmasterdonia:
It's great to finally see a political alternative.
Glad you think so! :)

peoples empire:
I would like to join.
Glad to have you on board.

Kiwi:
Fantastic to see another party pop up.

That said, I disagree that 'genuine neutrality' should have no raiding. That just sounds defender to me. :(

And no this is not another attack of Unibot - I don't actually disagree that the NPA going defender would probably be good for the region. I just feel that the NPA will thrive if it is allowed to raid and people should have the right to conduct sanctioned raider missions where applicable.

Anyway, I wish the party great success and when it has developed I may consider it in the future.

Well done Cormac.
Thanks for the positive comments Kiwi. :)

In regard to the military policy plank of the platform, I just want to reiterate that it does allow for sanctioned invasions -- provided that those missions are sanctioned by the Delegate, the Minister of Defense and a majority of the Council of Five or by a declaration of war from the Regional Assembly, which will help to ensure that any invasions are politically justified rather than arbitrary. It may not be the perfect policy, but I do think it's a policy that respects the ideals articulated in the platform while leaving room for TNP to practically pursue its military interests.

In regard to the military policy plank of the platform, I just want to reiterate that it does allow for sanctioned invasions -- provided that those missions are sanctioned by the Delegate, the Minister of Defense and a majority of the Council of Five or by a declaration of war from the Regional Assembly, which will help to ensure that any invasions are politically justified rather than arbitrary. It may not be the perfect policy, but I do think it's a policy that respects the ideals articulated in the platform while leaving room for TNP to practically pursue its military interests.

So even missions in Warzones would need a roll of red tape to approve?

HEM:
So even missions in Warzones would need a roll of red tape to approve?
That wasn't my intention, though I should probably have made that clear in the platform. With the possible exception of Warzone Airspace which has a native community, I view Warzone missions as training missions since Warzones were created with the R/D game in mind. So I don't really consider a "raid" of a Warzone to be a real raid, but rather a training mission.

I'd like to hold a party meeting on IRC (#lptnp) sometime over the weekend. What day and what kind of time frames work for everyone? If you're in a time zone other than EDT please say so.

Tim:
What do you classify as a native community.
As a party, we don't have a definition of a native community since the word "natives" is used only once in our platform and isn't defined.

For me personally, natives are those who reside in regions not as a result of an invasion (i.e., those who didn't come to a region to invade or defend it). In regard to Warzones, I do believe that native communities can exist in them. I also believe, though, that because Warzones are game-created regions specifically designed for military gameplay, all Warzones are legitimate targets regardless of whether or not native communities have formed. I also think that TNP should, whenever possible and primarily for pragmatic reasons, strive to invade Warzones in which native communities don't exist.

All of the above is my personal opinion, though, and does not represent the official position of the Liberty Party. Members are free at this time to have their own definition of native community and their own views on Warzones.

1. What is your policy on Govindia?

2. Do you believe that Flemingovianist expression should be extended or curtailed?

Back