TWP-TNP Treaty

Dalimbar

Your Friendly Neighbourhood Despot
-
-
TNP Nation
Angel of Wine
The following document was presented to me from the TWP Minister of Foreign Affairs, Schwarzchild, with additional discussion with First Minister TAO. As it appears no one else has seen it, I will present it to you all.
The North Pacific-West Pacific Treaty

The Parties to this Treaty reaffirm their faith in the purposes and principles of the NationStates and their desire to live in peace with all peoples and all governments. We, the undersigned as legal representatives of our Regions are determined to safeguard the freedom, common heritage and civilization of their peoples, founded on the principles of democracy, individual liberty and the rule of law. We seek to promote stability and well-being in their respective regions. We are resolved to unite our efforts for the preservation of peace and security. We therefore agree to this treaty and the establishment of the North Pacific-West Pacific Treaty Organisation.

Article 1

The Parties undertake to settle any international dispute in which they may be involved by peaceful means and are enjoined to refrain from the use of force except in cases of self-defense.

Article 2

The Parties will contribute toward the further development of peaceful relations by mutual strengthening of free institutions and trade in the attempt to promote the principles of freedom, equality and cooperative development, to the ends of providing for the stability and well-being of their citizens.

Article 3

In the spirit of greater co-operation and in the mutual interest of improved communication; the parties agree to allow the posting of materials published in the fora of the respective regions. Private conversations and confidential discussions are not subject to this Article and are exempt from routine publication, except with the author or authors' permission.

Article 4

In order to effectively achieve the objectives of this Treaty, said parties agree to a pact of mutual self-defense from armed attack. This initial agreement allows for the exchange of military liasons to each other's armed forces to improve communication. This Article is not considered effective if either party is the aggressor in a conflict and initiates armed attack first.

Article 5

The Parties are enjoined to consult together whenever the territorial integrity, political independence or security of any Party to this agreement is threatened.

Article 6

The Parties mutually agree that armed attack against any signatory of this Treaty shall be considered an attack upon all signatories. Consequently, the signatories agree to lend political, military and humanitarian aid in defense of said signatories, if appropriate. This Article is not in effect if any signatory takes upon itself to attack another sovereign region first in an attempt to annex territory or weaken said region for future political annexation. Further, such aggressive action may render this Treaty null and void.

Any such armed attack and all measures taken as a result thereof shall immediately be reported to the heads of state of the member regions. Such measures shall be terminated when the heads of state have taken the measures necessary to restore and maintain international peace and security.

Article 7

Each Party declares that none of the international engagements now in force between it and any other of the Parties or any third State is in conflict with the provisions of this Treaty, and undertakes not to enter into any international engagement in conflict with this Treaty.

Article 8

The Parties hereby establish a Council, on which each of them shall be represented, to consider matters concerning the implementation of this Treaty and the North-West Treaty Organisation. The Council shall be so organized as to be able to meet promptly at any time. The Council shall set up such subsidiary bodies as may be necessary; in particular it shall establish immediately a defense committee which shall recommend measures for the implementation of Articles 4 and 6.

Article 9

The Parties shall recognize only the democratically elected government of an allied region, as determined by that region's Constitution or Charter.

Article 10

This Treaty shall be ratified and its' provisions carried out by the Parties signatory to this Treaty in accordance with their respective Constitutional processes. The instruments of ratification shall be deposited clearly and as soon as possible with the Government of each member Region. The Treaty shall enter into force whenever each signatory's government has approved and ratified this agreement and it's particulars put on display for the perusal of citizens within the signatories' Regions. Additional parties may be allowed to enter into this Treaty with the full approval of each signatory's legal government.

Article 11

All affirmed signatories hereby agree to uphold this treaty for the duration of three months, after which member-regions may opt to withdraw from said treaty through the appropriate channels within their region or choose to reaffirm the treaty for another three months. In the event of a change in Governmental Leadership (new Delegate/Head of State) in any of the signatory regions, the Council will convene to reaffirm the committment of all signatory parties.

I hate the name of the document and the organization, but that maybe be just me :P

I have no qualms about it. I find Article 8 slightly odd, but I guess it's because I've never seen anything like that before for a treaty like this. Usually, things get done behind closed doors on a one-to-one basis, but I guess this could be a better alternative.

And I prefer this name over its previous name. "The North-West Treaty"? Bleh.

Some background for the current Cabinet:

This proposed treaty originated during Flemingovia's last term as PM and asMoEA during my first term as PM. It was envisioned as a revival of the United Democratic Pacifics treaty.

Discussions between TNP (through Haor Chall and myself), and TWP were intensified during my second term. Just before the May elections, the draft treaty was at a point for TWP to take the draft to their Council of Ministers, the TNP representatives (HC and myself) were ready to sunmit it for approval by TNP under the procedures for treaty approval i8n Law 9 and Law 12. That was during the last week of April. I was advised later that TWP would review the treaty after their elections; so the draft posted by Dalimbar is based upon the following, which is the draft language as of the last discussions here at the end of April.:
The North-West Treaty

The Parties to this Treaty reaffirm their faith in the purposes and principles of NationStates and their desire to live in peace with all peoples and all governments. They are determined to safeguard the freedom, common heritage and civilization of their peoples, founded on the principles of democracy, individual liberty and the rule of law. They seek to promote stability and well-being in their respective regions. They are resolved to unite their efforts for collective defense and for the preservation of peace and security. They therefore agree to this treaty and the establishment of the North-West Treaty Organisation.

Article 1
The Parties undertake to settle any dispute between them by peaceful means in such a manner that peace, security and justice are not endangered. The Parties undertake to refrain in their relations with each other from the threat or use of force in any manner inconsistent with the ideals of liberty.

Article 2
The Parties will contribute toward the further development of peaceful and friendly inter-regional relations by strengthening their free institutions, by bringing about a better understanding of the principles upon which these institutions are founded, and by promoting conditions of stability and well-being.

Article 3
In the spirit of greater co-operation and in the interests of improved communication, the Parties agree to permit the media organizations based in a region that is a Party to this Treaty to operate and disseminate its work on the same basis as domestic media organizations in the region of any other Party to this Treaty.

Article 4
In order to more effectively achieve the objectives of this Treaty, the Parties, separately and jointly agree, by means of continuous and effective self-help and mutual aid, that they will maintain and develop their individual and collective capacity to resist armed attack. Each Party will also appoint military liasions to the armed forces of every other Party to aid in improving communication and the collective military capability of the parties to this treaty.

Article 5
The Parties will consult together whenever, in the opinion of any of them, the territorial integrity, political independence or security of any of the Parties is threatened.

Article 6
The Parties agree that an armed attack against one or more of the member regions shall be considered an attack against them all and consequently they agree that, if such an armed attack occurs, each of them, in exercise of the right of individual or collective self-defence will assist the Party or Parties so attacked by taking forthwith, individually and in concert with the other Parties, such action as it deems necessary, including the use of armed force, to restore and maintain the security of the member regions.

Any such armed attack and all measures taken as a result thereof shall immediately be reported to the heads of state or government of the member regions. Such measures shall be led and sanctioned by the appropriate authorities from the attacked Party. In the event that the attacked Party is unable to lead or sanction action, the other Parties may take the steps they believe are necessary to restore and maintain international peace and security until such times as the attacked Party is avalible.

Article 7
Each Party declares that the current diplomatic agreements maintained by their respective governments are not in conflict with the provisions of this treaty, and undertakes not to enter into any inter-regional engagement in conflict with this treaty.

Article 8
The Parties hereby establish a NorthWest Treaty Organisation Council, on which each of them shall be represented, to consider matters concerning the implementation of this Treaty and the North-West Treaty Organisation. The Council will establish guidelines for its organisation. The Council shall set up such subsidiary bodies as may be necessary; in particular it shall establish immediately a defense committee which shall recommend measures for the implementation of Articles 4 and 6.

Article 9
Each party shall recognize the democratically elected government of every other Party, as determined by that region's Constitution or Charter.

Article 10
This Treaty shall be ratified and its provisions carried out by the Parties in accordance with their respective constitutional processes. The instruments of ratification shall be deposited as soon as possible with the Government of each member region. The Treaty shall enter into force between the regions who are the original signatories which have ratified it as soon as the ratification process is complete.

Article 11
For the purposes of this Treaty, the original signatory parties shall be limited to the North Pacific and the West Pacific. Additional parties may join this Treaty, but shall need approval from both of the original signatories to become a Party to this Treaty.

Article 12
All affirmed signatories hereby agree to uphold this treaty for the duration of four months, after which member-regions may opt to withdraw from said treaty through the appropriate channels within their region or choose to reaffirm the treaty for another four months.

I wish TWP would have shown some respect for our institutions, and presented it to Upper Kirby or Emperor Matthuis, as they are the properly elected successors to HC and myself, who were the negotiators for TNP. I made sure our contacts were done in the proper channels during the discussions that took place while I was PM.

There obviously have been changes from the April draft, so I would recommend that this draft received from TWP is carefully reviewed.

Reviewed, I think it largely looks good. I think it would be a good idea for us to talk some of the details (like the council) over with our WP counterparts perhaps, and then bring it to discussion in the RA in case the RA as a whole comes up with improvements?

Thoughts?

Roight. There's a number of issues which have come up lately. In a nutshell, apparently we've been stalling on this, out of touch, dismissive, intentionally ignoring them and being very rather rude the whole time. This is news to me. Schwarzchild is very miffed we've been ignoring him; apparently he's tried a few times to reach his counter-part here (MoEA) but to no avail. Hit a brick wall. Nothing. That's the chief one --it certainly doesn't help that they don't seem too knowledgeable about TNP government that they sent it to "Dalimbar and his Cabinet" (sorry Dal, we love you but you're the button man and that's different up here and over there), or they seem blithely unawares the envoys we sent over to discuss the treaty, among over things. But there's problems on both ends, never-to-fear it's just a miscommunication problem what's come up. TAO and I yucked it up a bit on MSN yesterday and hammered all of those issues right out, right as rain and good-smelling too. TAO > :hug: < UK

Sorry for not responding, these last few weeks have been terrible and I haven't really been able to implement the changes that I want, I've been held back by lack of recruits to the Diplomatic Corps and real life.

But anyway, I'm not sure how Schwarz has been trying to contact me, I've checked my PMs just now and nothing, I've got no telegrams or PMs on The West Pacific forum. So I have no idea on this one, the only message I got was a message from Harm yesterday.

By the way, some different ideas for name of the Treaty:

Firstly rather than North-West why not- Nor'wester?

As in, the Nor'wester Alliance Treaty Organisation (NATO...)

Nor'wester Defence Organisation (NDO)

Or, if you want something more generic;

New Defence Alliance (NDA)

Interregional Defence Force (IDF)

Interregional Mission Force (IMF)

Maybe even...

Pan-Pacific Defence Unit (PPDU or PDU)

Pan-Pacific Treaty Organisation (PTO)

Pan-Pacific Treaty Alliance (PTA)

Free Interregional Defence Organisation (FIDO)

New Interregional Defence Alliance (NIDA)

But there's problems on both ends, never-to-fear it's just a miscommunication problem what's come up. TAO and I yucked it up a bit on MSN yesterday and hammered all of those issues right out, right as rain and good-smelling too. TAO > hug.gif < UK

UK, does this mean that the differences in content and wording in the treaty (as between the draft as it stood at the time of the last elecions, and the draft sent over by TWP via Dalimbar) have been worked out? If so, cab we get a current draft of the treaty on the table?

Back