Court appointment discussion

Chief Justice Byardkuria has announced his plans to retire from the Court of The North Pacific at the end of his term on January 31st.

Now that Byardkuria's plans are official and public, I can begin the process of considering who to nominate as his successor as Chief Justice, and in the event I nominate one of the Associate Justices, I would then need to nominate a replacement so that the Court remains at full strength.

The members of the Cabinet, and deputy ministers should feel free to suggest names for my consideration in this process.

Justices may not hold any Cabinet position (or deputy minister) during their term on the Court, although they retain membership in the Regional Assembly and may serve on the Security Council. Justices have been permitted to serve in the North Pacific Army.

I want to submit the nomination(s) to the Regional Assembly for ratification during the month of January so that the new member(s) of the Court will be ready to take office on February 1st.

Seeing as how Gaunt and DD were both elected and appointed at the same time, seniority can't be an issue. Have we thought of asking which of them would be up to the job?

As for a new Associate to replace the ascending member, I'm clueless except for maybe Hersfold.

I'm preparing to make an announcement within about 24 hours of my intentions concerning the nomination(s) to the Court.

Constitution:
Section 2. Chief Justice and Associate Justices.

A - The Chief Justice shall be the head of the Judiciary of The North Pacific Regional Government. The Chief Justice is responsible for oversight of all judiciary activities in the Region, civil, criminal, or otherwise, including hearings on Regional security issues and ejections from the Region.
B - The Chief Justice and the Associate Justices shall each serve a term of six months. The Chief Justice and the Associate Justices shall be Members of the Regional Assembly who shall hold no other office during their tenure as judges.
C - The term of office of the Chief Justice shall begin on the first day of the months of August and February. Nominations and referendums for the full term shall take place during the months of July and January. The term of office of the Associate Justices shall begin on the first day of the months of May and November. Nominations and referendums for the full term shall take place during the months of April and October. The Chief Justice and the Associate Justices shall be nominated by the Prime Minister with the advice and consent of the Cabinet, and during the interim period between the creation of a vacancy in the office of Chief Justice or an Associate Justice and the confirmation and installation of a successor to that office, the nominee shall serve as an acting judicial officer on the Court of The North Pacific and have the authority to exercise the duties and responsibilities of the office.
D - The appointment must thereafter be approved at a referendum, which shall extend for seven days, of the Regional Assembly, with the participation of a quorum, by at least a 50 per cent vote in favor of a motion for confirmation. The nomination and referendum election shall be conducted as expeditiously as practicable. If the motion for confirmation fails to receive such approval, then the appointee is not confirmed to serve as a judicial officer, and the Prime Minister shall promptly propose another nominee, with the advice and consent of the Cabinet, who shall act as a judicial officer, subject to approval of a motion for confirmation in a referendum by the Regional Assembly.

The Constitution requires that any nomination for the Court by the Prime Minister be with the advice and consent of the Cabinet. This is required before the matter goes to the Regional Assembly for a ratification vote. The members of the Cabinet should consider this as notice that the nomination(s) will be posted here at that time, and that their advice and consent is being sought at that time.

If a Minister has not yet responded to the private message I sent all of you on this, and wishes to comment before I make the announcement, please reply a.s.a.p. by private message.

Back