Breaking out the responsibilities

As a starting point for detailing the functions of the three ministries we re studying, please consider the following. What we specifically have to decide is which functions remain in a Ministry, which Ministry, and which can be transferred to forum administration, revised, or eliminated.

The First Part is the list of current forums handled by these three Ministries:

The forums currently assigned to

Ministry of Communications
    Minister of Communications’ Office
    Nationstates Discussions
    Real Life Discussions
    North Pacific News Central
    General Announcments

Minister of Arts and Entertainment
    Out of Character
    Games and Art
    Blogs
    Role Play
    Minister of Arts and Entertainment’s Office

Minister of Culture and Education
    Minister of Culture and Education’s Office
    University Commission Board Room
    General Archival
    The North Pacific University

These are the duties for the three Ministers as currently stated in the Constitution:
Constitution Article III Section 2:
7) Minister of Communications.
A - The Minister shall be responsible for initiating, directing and moderating debates on subjects of Regional and national interest, such as legislative and Cabinet issues within the Regional Government, UN proposals and resolutions, and general interest discussions.
B- The Minister, in conjunction with the Prime Minister or the minister with appropriate jurisdiction, shall be responsible for the publication of the actions of the Regional Government, both within and outside of the Region.
C- The Minister, unless required for specified identifiable reasons of regional security to withhold specific material (as determined in each instance by a majority vote of the Cabinet), shall provide the publication if full of the records and minutes of Cabinet proceedings and debates. The vote of the Prime Minister and each Cabinet Minister in a Cabinet meeting shall be a matter of public record.
8) Minister of Arts and Entertainment.
A - The Minister shall be responsible for moderating the Out-of-Character, Role-Playing and Games forums at the Regional off-site forums.
B - The Minister shall initiate and oversee activities and topics for the general entertainment of The North Pacific's member Nations.
9) Minister of Culture and Education.
A - The Minister shall encourage the Cultural and Educational arts and industries, protect The North Pacific's heritage, and advance the public information system of the Region in order to maximize their contribution to the region's awareness and social vitality.

Finally, an additional function is assigned in the Legal Code to the Ministry of Culture and Education, although for some strange reason the Minister of Coomunications is in fact handling it:
TNP LAW 6
Ministry of Culture and Education

Section 1. The North Pacific Wire.

The North Pacific Wire shall be the official News Publication of the region. The North Pacific Wire shall be administered by the Ministry of Culture and Education.

OK, there are the building blockd we're working with.
What happens to each of the elements?

As a note, the General Annoucements forum is not really under the MoC's control - it's a forum for any government or administration official to make an announcement to the forum. Any (cabinet-level) government official, global mod, or admin has posting and moderation rights there.

The only other forum I see that could really be taken out of the government's hands is archival. Everything else would be perfectly fine being handled by he government.

The University Commission has had discussions about taking over the Nationstates discussion forum (which I think is a good idea). I'm not sure why we have real life discussions under a separate minister than the OOC forum, since in a sense, both deal with RL and are OOC.

And I think there's some question whether the A&E forums need to even remain in the governmental sphere.

It's also apparent that some realignment may be needed since the constitutional language (and the one statute) don't seem to be aligned the same way as the forums are actually set up.

What we probably need next is a questionnaire on each item on that list and ask who in the government should have anything to do with each particular forum/task, or whether it should revert back to forum administration, and see what comes of it. I'll try to get to it later today.

I think the A&E part should be left to the administration of the forum, I can't see anything in connection between this and the government. It could pretty much stand and thrive alone without the government, I haven't even seen any A&E minister do anything other than arrange topics and create new ones which everyone else can do.

I should have time this weekend to assemble a point by point questionnaire with what I understand the positions are among the commission members.

This will expedite the completion of the final report, as I'd like to have something to the RA by the end of the year, so the proposals can go to a vote in January.

OK. This is what I have.
The first part asks what the disposition should be of the existing forums assigned to the three ministries.
The second part is language to amend part of Article III Section 2 of the Constitution and to amend TNP Law 6. I think we need to rewrite the provisions on the Minister of Communications and the Minister of Culture and Education, Please give me responses to the first part, and comments on the second part.

current Ministry of Communications subforums:

Minister of Communications’ Office
Should this subforum remain under a government official: YesNoOther (specify)

Nationstates Discussions
Should this subforum remain under a government official:YesNoTNPUOther (specify)

Real Life Discussions
Should this subforum remain under a government official:  YesNoOther (specify)

North Pacific News Central

General Announcments
Should this subforum remain under any government official:YesNoOther (specify)

current Minister of Arts and Entertainment subforums

Out of Character

Games and Art

Blogs 

Role Play

Minister of Arts and Entertainment’s Office

current Minister of Culture and Education subforums:

Minister of Culture and Education’s Office

University Commission Board Room
(Temprary forum)

General Archival

The North Pacific University
Should this subforum remain under any government official:YesNoOther (specify)
Suggested changes in Constitution and Legal Code:
Constitution Article III Section 2
7) Minister of Communications.
A - The Minister shall be responsible for initiating, directing and moderating debates on subjects of Regional and national interest, such as legislative and Cabinet issues within the Regional Government, UN proposals and resolutions, and general interest discussions.
B-A - The Minister shall be responsible for publishing reports, within and outside of the Region, of the actions of the Regional Government and other developments in The North Pacific in conjunction with the Prime Minister or the minister official with appropriate jurisdiction, shall be responsible for the publication of the  actions of the Regional Government, both within and outside of the Region.
C- The Minister, unless required for specified identifiable reasons of regional security to withhold specific material (as determined in each instance by a majority vote of the Cabinet), shall provide the publication if full of the records and minutes of Cabinet proceedings and debates. The vote of the Prime Minister and each Cabinet Minister in a Cabinet meeting shall be a matter of public record.
8) Minister of Arts and Entertainment.
A - The Minister shall be responsible for moderating the Out-of-Character, Role-Playing and Games forums at the Regional off-site forums.
B - The Minister shall initiate and oversee activities and topics for the general entertainment of The North Pacific's member Nations.

98) Minister of Culture and Education.
A - The Minister shall encourage and promote the Cultural and Educational arts and industries, and protect The North Pacific's heritage, and advance the public information systemof the Region in order to maximize their contribution to the region's awareness and social vitality.

TNP LAW 6
Ministry of Communications Culture and Education
Section 1. The North Pacific Wire.
The North Pacific Wire shall be the official News Publication of the region. The North Pacific Wire shall be administered by the Ministry of Communications Culture and Education.

Back