Que

Heft

TNPer
FlemPaign:
Secondly, to seek to revise the constitution.

Our present constitution has served us for over a year now. But I believe that it is in need for revision. People have made the reasonable criticism that it is over long and over complex. I would seek to establish a constitutional convention to first ask the question “what sort of government do we want to have?” Do we wish to remain a democracy? (for the record, I do!) or do we wish to become a constitutional monarchy, a feudal system, a dictatorship? Having answered this question, the Constitutional convention would then seek to draw up new ruling documents for our region, perhaps drawing the best from the current constitution, as our present constitution does from the one that preceded it.

As over a third of this term has now elapsed, I'm wondering what has become of this?

(I did not know this - You must enter a topic title longer than 2 characters - fascinating)

Constitutional convention? If it works, don't fix it.

Actually, there is some room to trim some items down for simplicty's sake, but a wholesale convention might be asking for anarchy. Possibly. Or, at least a lot of griping and complaining from multiple directions.

Hardly asking for "Anarchy", and it might lead to a few "heated" discussions, but that's a part of democracy (a very important part, I would add).

Regardless, the question was directed at Flem, as it was part of his campaign and an idea I found rather promising.

Then again, we could always hold an RA referendum to see if there is enough impetus to hold a constitutional convention. Chances are, not.

Be that as it may, I don't hear any real ground-swell of sentiment indication the desire for a Constitutional Convention. On the whole, there are a lot of items in the Constitution that can be simplified and compressed, but I don't think it warrants a convention.

The more judicious means to this end is to have the RA discuss the needed changes in the constitution, produce a working document, approve that document or not and then move to a convention should a good document come to be. What we don't want is a sudden influx of migratory birds that just show up for the festivities and then fly off to parts unknown as is prone to happen.

Back