Olympic proposal

To IG and all other members of the A&E Treehouse (of Horror!) --

On the heels of the very successful 1st TNP Winter Games hosted by Hersfold, I was thinking that it might be a good idea to establish a TNP Games as a regular occurrence. Not only did all of us have fun, but it would be a geniuine chance for players to add some RP-flavor to their TNP experience (for example, generating character bios of their athletes should they choose to).

Of course, I also think that having a Games once every 2 years like in real life (alternating summer, winter, summer, winter, etc) is much too long. I was thinking we should have at least one Games every year, and maybe even both Summer and Winter Games every year.

Furthremore, if enough people were interested in hosting, they could bid for a given Games much like IRL (maybe with even more creative ways than bidding with TNP$).

Nations who had athletes with podium finishes may want to send them back the enxt time theres a similar Games -- this itself opens up the field to records and record-breaking and all that.

Anyway, just an idea :P

Especially after this debacle :lol:

I'm all for a TNP Games with a summer and winter games each year. But ultimately it's up to the MoAE Dictator...err, I mean minister. :lol:

I think people would have a lot of fun with it..

And I think it was successful in spite of the minor errors, which you have to expect. If anything, that means the next host won't have to worry about being absolutely perfect.

As a participant, I have to say it was great fun to see a little recognition for my nation, and with minimal personal work involved.

I was wondering if we could introduce a tourist revenue award to the host nation as well. Based on how well the Olympics was run, it would allow host nations to recover some, all or perhaps more than they spent bidding for it.

For example:

Nation A bids $10,000 to host the olympics. Following a really successful Olympics (ie. prompt results, perhaps providing a little commentary about each event...), the competing nations say it was a great Olympics (or perhaps rate it 9/10 or something). The host nation then recieves a 'tourist revenue' prize (using a constant figure of $2000, multiply by 9, gives $18,000) for running a smooth event. Meaning because of their great performance as host, they make a profit of $8000.

Nation B on the other hand, bids $10,000 to run it, but doesn't run it too well (results are difficult to read, not on time, gives themselves all the medals ( :P)). The competing nations give them a 3/10 rating, meaning they recieve $6000 as a reward. Because they were a poor host, they lose $4,000.

I think it might be a nice way of encouraging nations to want to host Olympics, while also encouraging care and forethought to be used when hosting. The mechanics of it might need some tweaking, and I realise some people might not be comfortable with labeling hosts as rubbish. And obviously a bit of leeway for RL interuptions should be given...

Thoughts, comments, insults? All welcome...

edit - I have another idea that is somewhat similar, but I'll wait to see what you think of this one before posting... :ph34r:

IDEA!

One of the problems with the Olympics we just held was that I limited the number of athletes or teams a nation could send in to 10. This resulted in many events containing only three people so that nations could participate in as many events as they wanted to. Maybe rather than limiting the number, they could pay a "registration fee" per athlete or team they enter. Naturally, there would have to be limits on the number of entrants per nation per event to avoid complete dominance. This fee would go to the hosting nation to help pay back their bid money.

Your idea is ok, Nam, but it's widely open to abuse. Say a nation only gets 2 medals, and the host pulls a "Hersfold" and ends up on top of the medal charts. That nation isn't going to be too willing to donate that much cash, even if the games were conducted extremely well (plenty of RP, commentary, medals that look better than my crappy things did).

And if we do this again, I'd personally like to see a LOT more RP'ing done from the participants. The only one who really did anything RP-wise was Ator with his short bio on Sir Andrew Hours. I wanted to post some short commentaries, but decided not to because of the possible god-modding charges... that's why I stopped including the "crash times" I had in some of the earlier events.

Edit: Helps to call people by the correct names... :eyeroll:

I was hoping being the mature and decent human beings we all are, that issues over nation performing poorly and feeling grumpy wouldn't arise.

*looks around*

Ah, yes. Indeed. Point taken Hers... :P

Actually, I thought it might swing the other way, with people not being too bother by how much $ the host recieves back, because we're all super nice to each other. :unsure:

As to your idea, I think thats excellent. I admit my second idea was something along those lines, but your version is far superior...

:worship:

As a total newbie - got here just in time to see the medals handed out - I think this is a truly great idea. In RL I've always wanted to do the "Jamaican Bobsled team" thing and now I have the opportunity to do it "virtually."

I've been involved with a few "fantasy leagues" involving baseball and F1 Auto Racing, and one of the very interesting aspects involves the "purchasing" of players/drivers/equipment, etc. Creating serious trade-offs between one top-level or many mid level participants.

Hersfold had a comment about limiting the number if entrants per country - and that would mirror the fantasy league model rather nicely.

Also - how about creating a set of elite athetes for each sport - maybe created by interested nations - or perhaps the REAL athetes - as picked by the media - and let us "bid" on them. Example - Aside from most South American nations being totally unrepresented in the winter games, look at a hypothetical Premier league soccer player; born in Colombia, grew up in Brazil, currently lives in France, plays for Man United - so who does he play for in the World Cup?

As far as Hersfold's handling of the first olympics - Consensus certainly warrants an "Olympics Czar for Life" position - if he demures; we vote him (her?) in when he's on vacation or whatever...

Fiduciary Philandering will be a shoe-in to handle the bidding process for "Official Olympic" licenses worldwide. I'm thinking 15k for the "Official Mouse Pad of the Northern Pacific Summer Olympics" as a start - and escalating from there.

Trust me - we at Fiduciary Philandering were born for this, and we have our own in-house auditing firm...

cwarre

Well Hers has sworn he wouldn't host it again. As far as who the czar should be, if it comes to pass, I think he/she should be appointed by the A&E Minister and Deputy, whoever that should be at the time.

I think the "czar" idea is alrigh,t but we would need to have someone who's hosted the Games before and doesn't mind giving advice to other host nations if called upon.

Since we've only had one so far, that might be a problem at this stage.

I agree with Hers -- I'd rather see more RP'ing on both sides of the coin; the participants should at least give brief background on the "story' behind their athletes/team and the host should try to spice things up as well.

Aside from that, the recompensation idea is a good one if we decide to go the route of nations bidding with money for it (personally I think that might get really obscene with a whole bunch of money on the line). I actually think it might not be too much of a problem since I doubt everyone will want to put the effort into hosting a Games. HOWEVER, I think the athlete registration fee is still a good idea even if we don't have bids because it enables the host country to have a minor windfall (which also occurs IRL anyway).

The more immediate thing would be finding someone willing to host the 1st TNP Summer Games in a few months. :P

I like the idea of a registration fee per entrant! I really would have liked to send more entrants, and I think this would be a great way to do so. Also, I like the idea of bidding to host the games.

I do like the RP part of it, and I think it adds a new dimension to the games.

Actually, along the whole RP line, if we could get someone who's willing to act as official reporter for the games, we could then have a week of Olympic reports on the TNP Wire. And extracts on the RMB. Might drum up a bit of trade...

And possibly have the reporter start a week before the games to profile each sport or each country's entrants.

Actually, I would along a completely different line, and invite the other feeders to send in a team - make it an inter-regional olympics.

"Feeder Olympics"

Teams from the five pacifics, maybe the RR and Lazarus too?

If we had a team of up to 20 nations per squad,with atheletes able to double up if the squad was too small, we could run 20 events over five days, plus an opening and closing event.

Medals tables.... interviews..... I can see it now.

Then we could have the drugs trials afterwards. :lol:

It's possible we could get all of NS involved in this... which would be nice, since my original attempts at an IOC failed miserably (The deleted resolution, the abandoned forum, the failed second attempt at a UN proposal...)

Well Hers has sworn he wouldn't host it again. As far as who the czar should be, if it comes to pass, I think he/she should be appointed by the A&E Minister and Deputy, whoever that should be at the time.

Eh heh - yeah, heck no. Not for a rather long while, anyway. I think it's possible we could have the A&E Council act as an "International Olympic Committee" - they'll organize things along with the host nation, whom they would lead the bidding process for.

Is this not the ultimate snowball of an idea...

We've gone from 'Yeah, we should do that again...', to an all of NS comp in less than a page...

Well done all.

And yes, a multi regional Olympics would be damn good. Does that mean we would have to down grade ours to The North Pacific Commonwealths or something?

Sorry all - more questions, then my two cents worth:

Were results in the winter games you just completed totally randomly generated? No weighting to one contestant or group of contestants over another?

Hersfold - were you pretty much stuck with producing the whole thing? Compiling entrants/sports/results - and then generating and reporting those results?

I really like everyone's ideas on the RP aspects - I never would have thought of a whole Press Corps for instance.

I also like the idea of keeping the Summer Games limited to TNP, develop the system to run it - then branch out for next year's Winter Games by inviting other groups to join. That way we'd have a matured game system, and wouldn't be overwhelmed by entrants.

How would the "purchase of entrants work? I only seem to have $30 or so - not counting the millions I'll be making from the sale of sponsorship licenses - can't imagine getting much of a team together for that...

If my application for a spot on our map comes through - I'll have a bit of coastline with a pretty major island a fair ways off shore - should funnel some real serious winds for the sailing events. Where do I apply?

I also like the idea of keeping the Summer Games limited to TNP, develop the system to run it - then branch out for next year's Winter Games by inviting other groups to join. That way we'd have a matured game system, and wouldn't be overwhelmed by entrants.
I agree with this.

As for the multi-region idea, a practical question would be how to split the spots on the TNP team for all the individual nations here who would want to send athletes. I also wonder if other feeder regions would have as much "regional pride"/

Were results in the winter games you just completed totally randomly generated? No weighting to one contestant or group of contestants over another?

Hersfold - were you pretty much stuck with producing the whole thing? Compiling entrants/sports/results - and then generating and reporting those results?
Completely random. I set a range of values based on the results from the Torino Olympics and used my calculator to come up with the actual results. Occasionally I would pre-determine a certain range of times within the possible results to be interpreted as a disqualification or something as well, and this did affect the results more than once.

I wouldn't exactly say I was "stuck" with it, since I did this completely voluntarily, but yes, I did everything with this, from registration to medal design to scheduling to reporting results, including making those little flag icons which I'm rather proud of. :D

As for the multi-region idea, a practical question would be how to split the spots on the TNP team for all the individual nations here who would want to send athletes. I also wonder if other feeder regions would have as much "regional pride"

Why make it a regional team? We could still have individual nations send athletes, we'd just open it to more nations. I don't think we could get enough regions participating in order to make regional teams work. Plus, I wouldn't be able to make flag icons.

How would the "purchase of entrants work? I only seem to have $30 or so - not counting the millions I'll be making from the sale of sponsorship licenses - can't imagine getting much of a team together for that...

That is a good point. We'd have to advertize it well in advance if we're going to run things this way, or some of us are going to have to be willing to offer loans or just flat-out be nice and offer the cash. :noangel:

one minor point: Other feeders have a fair bit of regional pride. Now that this idea has been voiced, I imagine that if we do not pick it up, some other region will.

Question is, is it a matter of regional pride to US that we are the ones to launch this on the NS world?

c'mon, guys and gals. Let's do the thing right here - with a special Olympics area to the forum, and an olympic skin.

Olympic village, flags, torch procession through the NS world ....

You-Are-You_Can_Do_It.jpg

one minor point: Other feeders have a fair bit of regional pride. Now that this idea has been voiced, I imagine that if we do not pick it up, some other region will.

Question is, is it a matter of regional pride to US that we are the ones to launch this on the NS world?

c'mon, guys and gals. Let's do the thing right here - with a special Olympics area to the forum, and an olympic skin.

Olympic village, flags, torch procession through the NS world ....
YEAH TNP!

A torch relay would actually be excellent advertizing for this - we station nations in different regions and have them move one by one to the next one, posting in the RMB each time when they pass on or pick up the torch.

I like HErs' idea of an inter-regional Games where we can all submit athletes under our own flag. That has the best of both worlds.

Now all we need is a host....

Keep in mind it's only March... :lol:

But I suppose it might take a while to get things set up.

I'll go prod around for an Olympic-looking skin.

Not much luck. The first search turned up only four skins - none are really what we're looking for, two were just plain ugly, and one is the one we're currently using. :eyeroll: I'm going to try and see if we can get a custom one made - if not, I might try and see what I can do on my own, but that is most certaintly a last-resort option. :lol:

I think I might go see what I can do on my own... clicky
(Link now shows the skin I made, which is far better than the previous one, although it's definitely not the best I've ever seen)

I love the whole idea. Hooray for creating some fun traditions. The first Olympics was very warmly recieved, and kudos to Hersfold for pulling it off so well. You have my full support with this one. Run with it as far as you like. ^_^

Bumpage.

I guess we need to decide if we're holding one this summer, and wehther it's inter-regional.

And a host of course.

Furthermore, I propose a "point distribution" system to select athletes. For eample, we say that each nation can only send 10 or 15 participants/teams (number not set in stone), and then we give them a certain number of points to decide how "good" thos teams will be.

For example, if we're each allowed 10, then we give each nation 70 distribution points or something. And you can rank your athletes, from 1-10.. Your athlete in a certain sport may receive a 10, because you like that sport, or you want him to win. Or you could distribute it evenly amongst all your athletes/teams. Then, this weighting will be 50% of the ultimate decision on medals, etc. The other 50% will of course be the randomly generated score or time.

Since its getting close to summer, would we like to consider this again? I think it would be good to try it within our own region again this season, and see how it goes before we consider interregional games.

I'll start a topic tommorrow looking for a host. Are we going to do the bidding thing that was suggested?
Yeah, I like that idea about the bidding. We could do it over like the course of a week so people could bid multiple times if they want. :yes:

Ok. I'll donate the cash to the A&E Ministry for their use. IG and Puckton are bound to find something to do with it.

Sorry to burst bubbles here, but this I believe has been done already in the Pacific Interactive Forums I believe, between TSP, TEP and TP. Still a good idea though :yes:

@ Dal: So what?

@ F&P: Whatever events get hosted will be chosen by whoever ends up hosting the Olympics, although you can probably expect them to be events from the actual Summer Games. You can go to the IOC web site HERE for a list of all summer events. We probably won't hold every one, but a fairly good representation of most.

Most likely. Unless they manage to recruit someone to help.

The host is being decided through a bidding proccess - whoever bids the most TNP Dollars will win the honor of being host. Not only does this help impress the importance of being willing to do this, it also helps limit it to those nations that are active enough to be able to pull it off. The results will probably be randomly decided, although we're looking into ways of allowing nations to boost their chances in particular areas. You'll see how it works out.

Back